Cleaning a blood caked gun

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Cleaning a blood caked gun

Post by 0122358 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:35 pm

So my buddy had an incident last year involving self defense and the use of a firearm. He had his weapon turned against him and a shot rang out into his chest but he was able to recover his gun after the muggers took off. He holstered it but where the exit would was, he bled all over his 9mm in the holster. Not sure how much but the responding officer stated it was a nasty mess.

Of course the cops took his pistol as evidence. That was 9 months ago, and he is now just getting it back released to him.

So my question is since it probably obviously hasn't been cleaned? What's the best way to go about restoring it to working condition?

It is a full size smith and wesson M&P9. Magazine was fully loaded with Horndy 135gr Critical Duty.

Would a sonic cleaner work? Soaking it in oil or brake cleaner? A detailed strip of the weapon will probably be needed right?

Or depending on how bad it is when he gets it, should he just write it off?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Cleaning a blood caked gun

Post by yossarian » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:00 pm

Blood is hard on guns. A sonic cleaner should do, as long as the heavy stuff gets wiped off first. My (thankfully limited) experience is that you can expect a lot of corrosion.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:56 am

If the gun has a proper coating on it then some soap and warm water will take it right off. Follow up with some proper lube and drying.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

ViennaGambit

Post by ViennaGambit » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:06 am

Soak in simple green. He should probably sell the gun - bad juju.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:07 pm

ViennaGambit wrote:Soak in simple green. He should probably sell the gun - bad juju.
And reconsider his choice of ammo......he's still here.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:24 pm

.... This post makes me very curious about whether or not this was a m&p with a manual(frame mounted, 1911 style) safety or not, I'm inclined to think that it wasn't or if it was that it was carried with the safety of....
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:41 pm

I would not worry about the ammo/pistol combo. People have an 80% chance of surviving being shot by a pistol. Very few people die from pistol rounds if they are still alive when EMS arrive. Pistols have never been great defensive guns. They are simply on hand when the need arises. That is why rifles and shotguns are the recommended choice.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:43 pm

LowKey wrote:
ViennaGambit wrote:Soak in simple green. He should probably sell the gun - bad juju.
And reconsider his choice of ammo......he's still here.
His M&P is a non external safety.

First round in the chamber was a WWB 115 grain FMJ (don't ask me why) and the other 17 in the mag were Hornady CD 135 grain. One shot was fired at 6-8 inches. The round snapped his top two right ribs, deflected through the top of his right lung and exited out his right armpit.

He still sore when he runs. Not bad scarring though and his lung capacity has returned to what it was previously, well better because he quit smoking but that's a different story.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:25 am

I was under the impression that blood can slowly "etch" or corrode metals over longs periods of time... including beds of hunting trucks and medical equipment. If the gun was "put away wet", I would worry about the finish being ruined. I guess the salt content would be the prime acting agent since blood isn't actually acidic and mildly basic... but then again, I dropped out of organic chemistry.

However, if the finish was strong and the gun was kept away from oxygen, I guess, and not ruined, then any old cleaning agent will do. I'd put money on hot soapy water or a dishwasher (even though I never use them under normal circumstances even though many do).

However, when it comes to the superstition of the gun, I would think that the gun could be his "lucky gun" since he got shot by it and lived. Kinda like old vets and keeping their shrapnel chunks from the Great War. I guess it depends on how he looks at it. Either way, he's pretty intimate with the pistol whether he likes it or not.

But this whole post I basically talked out of my ass so whatevssss :)
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:25 pm

He should unload it, take it in the shower with him and give it a good rinse with warm water and mild soap. Warm water should break up caked on stuff. Whatever doesn't come off, break it down and give it a once over with Hoppes 9 or similar and then oil it. Should be fine.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:44 am

Make a thorough check of the chamber area of the barrel, inside and out. Corrosive stuff can make extra corrosion/cracks in stressed areas, particularly if they are enclosed.

If it was a leather holster, it probably won't have helped either. Some types of leather are not good for metal.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:59 am

If dish detergent and a soft brush won't clean it up, then disassemble, soak and scrub (w/Plastic bristle brush) the metal parts in a parts wash solution (or diesel fuel) and run all the plastic parts through the dishwasher. I've used this method restoring cars and old bikes. I've cleaned up parts to new looking with dead animals and various wildlife shit (meaning poop) stuck to it for decades. Most of the plastic and metal was far far below the quality of good stainless and high impact plastic.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:23 am

Bit off topic, but I'd like a more detailed account of how his own weapon was turned against him.

Preventing the incident goes a long way to avoiding the damage in the first place.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:09 pm

jor-el wrote:Bit off topic, but I'd like a more detailed account of how his own weapon was turned against him.

Preventing the incident goes a long way to avoiding the damage in the first place.
He went out drinking one night and parked his car several blocks away so he'd have to walk back. Weapon was located in a galco kydex holster in his glove compartment. Bar stopped serving at 0130 and he stood outside for 2-3 hours talking with friends before walking the half hour back to his car. He realized he wasn't 100 percent sober enough to drive so he grabbed his earbuds and phone, and went for a walk around the park.

At some point he went back to his car for a smoke and opened his passenger side door to grab it when two thugs approached from behind. Him having music blasting in his ears didn't allow him to realize they were there until they kicked him in the back yelling at him to give up his keys.

He realized what was going on and dove into the glove box for his M&P. The two thugs saw this and both grabbed him by the arms one on each side, pulling him out and away from the car, with the firearm in his right hand.

He began to struggle and flail trying to get away and when the thug attempted to get in front of him, it loosened the grip enough to swing his arm towards his chest, while the thug swung to his front and shoved his arm forward. Somehow this caused a shot to go off and the thugs took off running as he collapsed. The gun dropped to the ground and he slammed into his car.

He retrieved the holster that flew out of the glove compartment and picked up his gun and holstered. He walked around back and forth for a hundred feet or so before collapsing and dialing 911.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:37 pm

I'll keep this simple.

Here in Gotham, being intox while carrying is a huge Bozo-no-no. Under Mayor Bloomberg and PC Kelly they would pull your permit. As PD it was grounds for termination. The current administration is no friendlier to gun owners or cops.

Self defense is already a hard job w/o adding the two distractions of being intox and unable to hear your own surroundings due to an electronic device like a smart phone or media player. People around here already get into accidents and robberies thanks to the smart phone distracting them on their travels.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:45 pm

jor-el wrote:I'll keep this simple.

Here in Gotham, being intox while carrying is a huge Bozo-no-no. Under Mayor Bloomberg and PC Kelly they would pull your permit. As PD it was grounds for termination. The current administration is no friendlier to gun owners or cops.

Self defense is already a hard job w/o adding the two distractions of being intox and unable to hear your own surroundings due to an electronic device like a smart phone or media player. People around here already get into accidents and robberies thanks to the smart phone distracting them on their travels.
Can I also add:
Boneheaded idea to loiter around in the wee hours hoping to sober up after a night of drinking.
Had he planned on drinking that night (and it does sound like it) he should have left the gun at home and gone by taxi.
Better yet, stay at home and do your drinking there.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:15 am

jor-el wrote:I'll keep this simple.

Technically didn't sound like he was CC'ing, it was in the glovebox until he was attacked. But isn't that also a no no in the SRNYC? And I didn't even think a civilian could get a CC permit there either.
jor-el wrote: Self defense is already a hard job w/o adding the two distractions of being intox and unable to hear your own surroundings due to an electronic device like a smart phone or media player. People around here already get into accidents and robberies thanks to the smart phone distracting them on their travels.
QFT everywhere.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:47 am

Here in the Evil Empire State there is a basic level of pistol permit, the Target Permit.
Mere possession, can bring to pistol range in unloaded condition in a case, cannot leave your home/property. In the city, you have to pre-select a time of the week/month to visit the range, and its printed right on the front of the permit.

With a carry/retired LEO permit, there is no leaving it in the glove compartment. It's on you, or it stays home.

Full carry does exist, it is reserved for the elite. The small list of carry permit holders tends to be the wealthy or connected.

The Retired LEO permit trumps the civilian full Carry by allowing two authorized service pistols as opposed to the regular carry only allowing one, plus LEOSA rules.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:09 am

What happens when you're moving [changing home address] from one apartment to another? Are you breaking the law when you move your handgun on that day? Do you have to report the address change prior/immediately/within x days, on your basic permit?

And are the basic permits necessary for anyone who owns a handgun or are they just for anyone who wants to practice with their handgun in the Empire.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:43 pm

jor-el wrote:Here in the Evil Empire State there is a basic level of pistol permit, the Target Permit.
Mere possession, can bring to pistol range in unloaded condition in a case, cannot leave your home/property. In the city, you have to pre-select a time of the week/month to visit the range, and its printed right on the front of the permit.

With a carry/retired LEO permit, there is no leaving it in the glove compartment. It's on you, or it stays home.

Full carry does exist, it is reserved for the elite. The small list of carry permit holders tends to be the wealthy or connected.

The Retired LEO permit trumps the civilian full Carry by allowing two authorized service pistols as opposed to the regular carry only allowing one, plus LEOSA rules.
Am I reading that right that you have to pick a day you want to visit the range and that's the only day you can go?

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:12 pm

0122358 wrote:
jor-el wrote:Here in the Evil Empire State there is a basic level of pistol permit, the Target Permit.

Am I reading that right that you have to pick a day you want to visit the range and that's the only day you can go?
Pick the range, pick the day, pick the TIME. You get stopped by the 50 and you're somehow not enroute to the range or home at the appointed hour, you get burned at the stake unless there's a gunshop on the way. And the Po-Po are supposed to map out the shortest practical distance between range and home. The space/time coordinates was a Bloomberg innovation to make everyone "safir".

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:17 pm

Ahem. Back on topic, please.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Peregrinator

Post by Peregrinator » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:43 pm

The blood may cause some cosmetic damage after this long, but won't affect the function.
Clean it thoroughly with hot soapy water, rinse, dry, then lube and return to service.

Walking around, drunk, at 4:00 am with headphones blaring is a "Darwin maneuver". Shooting himself just proves the point. Hopefully he's matured enough to figure that out and prevent future problems with ruining a perfectly good firearm.

The M&P should be fine, the owner...I have my doubts.

Neville

Post by Neville » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:49 pm

S&W M&P has a stainless slide with black nitride surface treatment. Blood is hard on guns because it contains salts, but with a stainless & melonited slide, the effect should be minimal or non-existent.

I'm a bit skeptical regarding the OP's friends story and likely the cops were too. No doubt they figured he was drunk and mis-handled his firearm and shot himself. Barring video footage or a confession by the alleged perps, we'll likely never know for sure.

My guns typically get disassembled and cleaned in an ultrasonic bath with Simple Green... then rinsed with clean boiling water... then dunked in denatured alcohol, and finally set on a cookie sheet covered with tin foil in the oven on 250 degrees (metal only) for about 20-30 minutes. Polymer frames get blown out with compressed air after the alcohol and a quick squirt of CLP on the workings. Pivot points lubed with Slip 2000 and rails/hammers coated in a light grease. Haven't had a problem yet. It's quick and thorough. I usually wait to clean until there are several guns to be done and have it set up assembly-line style.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”