Front site idea about ammo in your go-bag.

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MacAttack

Re: Front site idea about ammo in your go-bag.

Post by MacAttack » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:39 pm

I would rather just carry a few conversion kits instead of ammo.

Granted all my kits together now weigh a bit more than my fully loaded hand gun.

EAA Witness, I can now use.22lr, 380acp, 9mm, 40mm, and 45acp out of my main handgun.
I will soon be adding in 357sig just because. I could also add in 10mm also but the chances of trading for that are even worse than trading for 357sig. They are both just not that common.

As for my AR I have the .22lr conversion for that also.

I even have a conversion for my compact backup. 380acp to 22lr. HKm4.

Las Vegan

Post by Las Vegan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:01 pm

More math: As suggested by several people I can buy another couple of boxes of ammo in a caliber that I already have (which will increase my ammo storage by a tiny percentage, or like I said I can buy a small brick of .22 LR and a dozen or so 12 gauge shells and keep them in my car somewhere out of the way so they'll be there should I ever find either a weapon that uses them or a good guy who could use the ammo.

It's true, life isn't a video game where battlefield pickups of weapons is likely. I've already planned for the likely.
AR-15, Glock, and Soylent.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Well, that idea has been already thoroughly debunked, and I'm too tired to do math.

I'll just chime in that it struck me as a dumb-ass idea to begin with and move on to another thread.... :roll:
WWSD?

Las Vegan

Post by Las Vegan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Las Vegan wrote:More math: As suggested by several people I can buy another couple of boxes of ammo in a caliber that I already have (which will increase my ammo storage by a tiny percentage, or like I said I can buy a small brick of .22 LR and a dozen or so 12 gauge shells and keep them in my car somewhere out of the way so they'll be there should I ever find either a weapon that uses them or a good guy who could use the ammo.

It's true, life isn't a video game where battlefield pickups of weapons is likely. I've already planned for the likely.
Paladin1 wrote:Well, that idea has been already thoroughly debunked, and I'm too tired to do math.

I'll just chime in that it struck me as a dumb-ass idea to begin with and move on to another thread.... :roll:
No problem buddy, I'll do the math for you. My ride weighs about 4,000 pounds and has a cargo capacity of about 80 cubic feet. A small brick of .22 LR and a dozen 12 gauge shells together weigh maybe two pounds and take up less space than a small bag of Funions. As far as money, the cost for the ammo is about the same as 2 drinks at Starbucks and a local phone call to someone who cares. :roll:

See? Math is fun, and the idea isn't so bad as long as you've got your other bases covered.
AR-15, Glock, and Soylent.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:09 am

I can see this being handy ONLY in very limited situations.

1) I don't have a weapon, but hope to find one along my route. Given that work prohibits weapons, and takes me hours away from my POV, I can see this being better than nothing. The area is likely pretty thick with guns, but is rural, so mostly hunting rifles/shotguns and odd pistols. Very few of my customers were at all open to the idea of AR/AK rifles supplanting their rifles, though a couple were open to Glocks if their budget allowed. Any gun found lying about was likely discarded because it was empty and too heavy to continue carrying. I could seal up a pouch of mixed ammo to store in my work bag, but I doubt I will.

2) I don't keep a gun in a given POV because I don't drive it. I commute in a small car, so I have a gun in it. My wife drives a large Kid Hauler, with regular travel to schools. Keeping a gun in this vehicle would be more trouble than it's worth, but this would be a required vehicle in any bug-out, as well as being the vehicle we take any time more than 2 of us go anywhere. I could easily seal up a pouch of mixed ammo and stash it somewhere, but I doubt I will.

3) Close family members vehicles. Certain family members don't live very close, but constitute essential personnel for a bug-out. They also have not taken it upon themselves to acquire arms, because they see that as 'my thing.' They are not opposed to guns, and happily shoot mine any time they can, but they take zero initiative to do anything gun-related on their own. I could easily pack up a bag of mixed ammo to store in those vehicles, but I doubt I will.

What I DON'T see: Me putting 3lbs of mixed ammo in my own ruck. If I am heading out on foot, I will be carrying enough in food and other gear (to include personal arms/ammo) that are all carefully chosen and set up to work together. I didn't go to the trouble of buying multiple weapons that use the same ammo/mags just to carry 3lbs of dead weight.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:40 am

Based on experience, the far larger issue will be finding working magazines, let alone spares.

Even working cops frequently short maintenance on their magazines, especially Glocks. Apparently no one likes buying spares, and I've found more than one magazine irreparably dented or crushed, and its the one magazine in the gun.

Bad enough I can't stand not having at least a dozen for every gun I own.
No way on earth am I going to buy a spare for every firearm I might encounter.

Curiously, ammo is NOT the issue around here. I frequently encounter people who stocked up on ammo for their eventually banned rifles like the evil Marlin 60 or the vile Winchester 1886, 1892 or 1894

( http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/05/ny ... ns-rifles/ )

and either got rid of the rifles or just plain moved out, but never got rid of the ammo.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:25 pm

NY law presumably makes getting spare mags harder, and the 'ammo tax' would encourage one not to toss out ammo that might be useful in the future, or sold off for a few tax-free dollars. On the other hand, boxes of ammo stored in someone's house are no use to you if you find a gun you need to use.

Am I correct in guessing that 5/7rd mags are not even readily accessible at the corner gun store in NYC?

Since a cop with a 15rd Glock would actually want the standard capacity mag, he would have to order it to be shipped to him, then provide proof he was exempt from the ban. I doubt most cops feel the need to go through so much trouble.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:23 pm

The only thing you can count on is what you bring with you, and even then it is a best guess. I would rather carry an extra 50 9mm with me than 6 rounds of random ammo laying around. Keep 50 in the car, 50 in a bag I carry with me, and an extra 1000 of loaded ammo in mags at home. Fin.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:07 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:NY law presumably makes getting spare mags harder, and the 'ammo tax' would encourage one not to toss out ammo that might be useful in the future, or sold off for a few tax-free dollars. On the other hand, boxes of ammo stored in someone's house are no use to you if you find a gun you need to use.

Am I correct in guessing that 5/7rd mags are not even readily accessible at the corner gun store in NYC?

Since a cop with a 15rd Glock would actually want the standard capacity mag, he would have to order it to be shipped to him, then provide proof he was exempt from the ban. I doubt most cops feel the need to go through so much trouble.
I think the ammo aspect of the SAFE act is still being played out, but in the short run commercial ammo has become somewhat more expensive thanks to a ban on internet sales to the door.

The 7 round magazine issue became moot when NO manufacturers were willing to make such a capacity for ARs, AKs or other firearms just to satisfy one state's BS gun laws. Considering that I think the only firearm that passes muster on both the state and the city bans is the Mini-14 and Mini-30 (believe the Ares SCR only recently got approval), and that in general only Ruger themselves makes a reliable magazine for those rifles, such magazines are in short supply due to a single supplier.

The NYPD has an Equipment Section that stockpiles a supply of magazines for that purpose. Range instructors can buy them at will. All others need a captain's signoff.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:18 am

I usually keep a box of .45 ACP even though I don't own a firearm that can shoot it. Most of my male relatives and several of my friends own .45 ACP handguns, so it didn't seem like a bad idea.

When the ammunition apocalypse hit back in 2012 I gave the box away and I haven't bothered replacing it since I still don't have my stockpile for cartridges I do shoot back to where I want it.

Even if the zombie apocalypse never happens it makes for a convenient present. I might buy a box of .300 Win. Mag. for similar reasons.

That's in my house though, it won't be going in my BOB.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Let's see.... 3lbs of small quantities of assorted ammo that I may run into, or 3lbs of ammo for guns that I'm already carrying. That's a hard one. :v:
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:46 pm

A key point here is the idea that you may have a battlefield pickup. So...is having extra ammo useful for battlefield pickups?

No. They come with their own ammo supply. If they come with 3 or 300 rounds, it is "enough." Why? "Because that is what it came with." Now figure out if you want to carry that ammo and weapon, or not. As has been beaten to death above, most of us are going to have enough ammo on us to carry on a bit in most any normal disaster, and the weight of "random ammo" would be better used carrying extra of something we actually have and use. Also, you think you will need 60+ rounds of "battlefield pickup ammo" if a tornado or flood hits your house/neighborhood? I suspect you would be hard pressed to go through 60+ rounds of YOUR OWN ammo in such a situation.

For zombies and ninja-robot-biker-raiders, one is better off carrying a Metric F*** Ton (MFT) of whatever ammo you regularly use, and carry that in your vehicle. Vehicles carry better than legs/backs. Also, consider investing in bicycles, if REALLY worried about zombies and fuel shortage. They carry gear well. So do horses and goats.

If riding around the wasteland, fighting raiders and zombies, one can simply pick up weapons and ammo and put them in one's vehicle. Or maybe cache them for later.

Just some thoughts
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:22 pm

Paladin1 wrote:Well, that idea has been already thoroughly debunked, and I'm too tired to do math.

Las Vegan said:
No problem buddy, I'll do the math for you. My ride weighs about 4,000 pounds and has a cargo capacity of about 80 cubic feet. A small brick of .22 LR and a dozen 12 gauge shells together weigh maybe two pounds and take up less space than a small bag of Funions. As far as money, the cost for the ammo is about the same as 2 drinks at Starbucks and a local phone call to someone who cares. :roll:

See? Math is fun, and the idea isn't so bad as long as you've got your other bases covered.
If your talking some .22's and 12ga shells and your driving, then it dosen't sound so bad. But the OP was talking about having 10 different kinds of ammo for a total of 67 rounds.

Math is fun. I especially like statistics. I wonder of what the odds are of ruining across 10 different guns with no ammo and working mags.

Lets say you've exhausted your own supplies of .40cal- with this plan you have a 6rds of 9mm? so you hoping you come across an 9mm gun and those 6rds will save your butt? really?

I'll use the weight/ammo count for my own guns and not count on apocalypse picks ups. My BOV weighs 5,390lbs and I have a BOT (Bug Out Trailer) so I'll carry known ammo for known platforms. and not count on having a few rounds for 10 different guns saving me.

Sometimes people just get a little carried away with the 'what if' scenarios and this is one of those times.
WWSD?

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:28 pm

That's it, bringing a tripod and a belt of 10 .50 cal rounds just in case I happen upon an abandoned m2...

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Even for ammo in the car or at the BOL, stick with .22, 12g or whatever your local police or military uses to increase the chance of it being relevant.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:39 am

I've toyed with the idea of stocking some .40 because several friends use that round, as a hedge if they come looking for help, ammo. I wouldn't take it with me.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

Sig_Lover

Post by Sig_Lover » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:01 pm

How am I going to get all those guns. I can see a 9mm pistol with 4 mags and a 22Lr pack rifle but that us about it.

Rich

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:44 pm

Anytime anyone mentions battlefield pickups in SHTF, I always think of the movie "Ride Along"
In a game, you can pick up ammo off the ground!

This ain't no damn video game!

Hold on! I got one!

Oh, God! - Let's go!
The only way I see this as viable is if 2 things are met:
1. You will be using a vehicle with this plan to where the small weight isn't the biggest deal
2. You only own one gun for whatever reason

In the end, I'd rather have ammo for the stuff I already have. What do they say about counting chickens before they hatch?? Oh yeah, DON'T!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Sig_Lover wrote:How am I going to get all those guns. I can see a 9mm pistol with 4 mags and a 22Lr pack rifle but that us about it.

Rich
When you level up pick the "spot" skill as one of your abilities and ramp it up. Shit will just appear out of nowhere that you could not see b4.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”