Question about Caching ammo?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Question about Caching ammo?

Post by Smash05 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:58 pm

I'm considering creating an ammo Cache on the way to one potential bug out location. I have discounted this idea in the past as not useful, and a bit fanciful. However it makes some sense to hedge. I'm thinking just 12ga and 38/357 to keep it simple. Those who have done this, how much did you, do you cache.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

quazi

Re: Question about Caching ammo?

Post by quazi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:34 pm

What kind of a place are you talking about caching it?

I have ammunition cached in cans at my primary BOL. I try to keep at least one reload worth of defensive ammunition there. I keep a lot of blasting ammo there as well, but that amount fluctuates wildly. I also "cache" some ammunition at some of of my friends and relatives houses, but not in a very systematic and well thought out way. Usually it's just some leftover practice ammunition from after we're done shooting.

If you're talking about burying ammunition in the woods or something like that I have no relevant experience, other than finding the occasional can of .30-06 blanks left over from military exercises.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:47 pm

A lot of this has to deal with where in the country you are, where you are going to store the ammo, and how much you plan to store. There are too many variables for us to randomly guess. Some basic thoughts would be to make sure that it is going to be stored someplace that is dry and cool. Failing that, store it in a waterproof container with some desiccant packages in with it. I would also make sure that it is someplace that is secure. If you are thinking of burying it under a rock or something, I would consider coming up with a better location. At a relative's house. At your place of work (if you can). Hell, even at a storage unit if you have one. I would also consider how much ammo you are planning on storing. If you are looking at an ammocan full, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are talking about a car load, that could potentially be an issue.

We are set up to shelter in place, so my ammo stash is in the basement. I have a couple of spam cans of 7N6 still sealed and ready for the zombies. Short of that, those cans will stay sealed. The rest of the various kinds of ammo are just kept in their boxes on shelves, locked away. That is pretty much all I need. I have a spare toy or two stashed at other relative's houses, and places like that, in case our house is destroyed and we aren't squished in the process. But other than that, there is little point in me squirreling away ammo in other oddball locations. If it gets to the point where I would need to go dig up a gun and some ammo, I have bigger problems.

-Mb

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Standard disclaimers apply: make sure you own the place before stashing anything, or have the owner's informed consent. Treat all such ammo as potentially lost and abandoned until it's in your hands, as sometimes bad things happen.

I have ammo and firearms stashed at other people's houses, along with other basic supplies, because houses beat barren wastes for bugging out. As such, I use ammo cans, some waterproof Pelican-Hardigg cases that require three people and a dolly to move, and a safe. All the ammo is stored either in plastic bags, ammo cans, or both, with some oxygen absorbers. Same for the safe, although the safe absorbers probably need to be rotated in the next few months.

If you're burying, keeping it dry is job numero uno. Cooler, gorilla box, or something waterproof-ish, with plastic wrap and ideally surplus ammo cans inside that. Bury away from vehicle paths, water run-off or flood-prone areas, and anything deeper rooted than grass, or you'll see your cache compromised.

Shotgun shells are more prone to water damage than anything else, because the plastic hulls aren't as water-resistant. Any ammo that doesn't have a tight crimp will be vulnerable at the neck, and shoddy loads/reloads may see primer pockets compromised. Clear lacquer can help seal against water and air, but doing it over a few hundred rounds can be annoying. PVC-pipe caches can work, but you'll need a way to open it and mark it. Spam cans are a great option if you can get them, but IDK if they're avalable in your chosen calibers. Other issues, like making sure you have something to shoot it out of come to mind.

OTher threads are around here and discuss things like frozen ground, which is nigh-impossible to dig, and caches worming their way out of the ground over repeated freeze/thaw or wet/dry cycles, and making sure that anything camoflauged is camoflauged from all directions instead of just one.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:31 pm

I'm looking at maybe 100 rounds of pistol ammo and 50 rds of shotgun ammo. I've got the container, and one or two places to stash it. It still may not be worth it, and primarily my plans are to shelter in place. I do know that if we bug out, our ammo carrying options become limited.

procyon

Post by procyon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:47 am

Smash05 wrote:I'm looking at maybe 100 rounds of pistol ammo and 50 rds of shotgun ammo. I've got the container,
That is about what I carry in the trunk of the car, and behind the seat in the pickup.
Which is where I would store it for that amount. Fairly safe from moisture, and should be easy enough to access.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:07 pm

In my jurisdiction you need a license to possess ammunition, I have a license, my wife does not, so stashing it in the car is a no go. However, the stash spots are in a more permissive jurisdiction.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:57 pm

I like to stash. I respond because of the numbers you use. Very workable. There are numerous books and guides to assist you.

For example: http://www.howtoburyyourstuff.com/firea ... mmunition/

The proof comes through experimentation. My experience incorporates some of the points discussed in the link, including the use of Pelican type seal boxes, PVC and silicone. Bury depth and location, as others have mentioned, are equally important. My tests were > 1year but < 2 years and everything functioned properly.

Burying is not the only way. Experiment.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

procyon

Post by procyon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:23 pm

If the car isn't an option, my next choice would be to put it in my BOL.
If I didn't have an actual place that was my BOL, that would be my next priority instead of an ammo stash that I would get but have nowhere to go with.

I'm not trying to be snarky. I would just be more concerned about that than a cache of ammo the size you are discussing.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:39 pm

I see the usefulness of stashing small amounts around (small enough you won't miss it if it walks off).

I have no personal experience but when/if I cache ammo it will probably be vacuum sealed in mylar bags and then placed in a sealed container (bucket with a good seal or ammo can). Also it will probably only be handgun ammo, if I have time to grab more then my EDC I will probably have plenty of ammo already.

while your at it throw in some other backup supplies, mylar blankets, water purification tabs, etc. probably pointless but they are cheap and won't take up any room. probably more likely to help a dire situation then ammo too.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Texasoperator

Post by Texasoperator » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:03 pm

RR, small amounts is good if based on ability to reload after a gun battle(s). Reason is this, an empty revolver means you've sent 5 or 6 rounds down range, 15 if semi., this probably means you've received at least as many back at you. If you survive this once much less numerous times then you will be a Legend in your neck of the woods. If you are preparing for a bartering situation, then cache large quantities. Also you may never experience an aggressive situation and simply use the ammo for hunting, more would be good. If using pvc pipe and fittings, its VERY important to use the teflon tape around the threads of the plug and VERY important to seal around the edge of the plug where it screws into the female adapter with whats called Plumbers goop. Readily available and works.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”