June-August ZS Postal Match

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

elricfate

June-August ZS Postal Match

Post by elricfate » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:38 am

It's officially summertime! Let's get outside!

Time for the June-August ZS Postal Match! You will find your scenario below, as well as your targets. Have fun!

Prize: TBD by the ZS board.
You clear the blood and bile from your clothing as best you can. The stench has invaded your nose, making your eyes water. You still hear the occasional pop of gunfire in the distance. Not far now. Not far.

You take off on foot toward where you think the sounds are coming from and come upon a wagon-train of vehicles. The little cowboys are taking potshots at the indians who surround their camp. They don't seem concerned, but from the distance you're at, you can hear them coming. The ravenous horde, attracted by the sounds of gunfire, are coming.

You sit, quietly waiting, waiting for the horde to crest the ridge beyond you. As you wait you take note of a few walkers heading your way, attracted by the sound of your traversal through the woods. They seem slow, halting, almost like they're not sure you're there. You can see one get down on all fours and sniff the air like a dog. Well, that's new.

You unsling your rifle and take aim.

Please print four of the targets included in this post (you may also use the Alternative target if your range master does not allow silhouette targets) and use three rounds per target. There are no caliber restrictions (except on reduced scale targets), and you may choose a weapon you are comfortable with.

Targets (as well as expanded rules) are available on the Postal Match details page, or the links at the end of this post. Please send all targets to postalmatch@zombiehunters.org. In the event of a tie, targets will be judged based on how close to the bullseye they were. Remember all targets should be printed on 8.5"x11" paper for scoring purposes.

Remember targets are due no later than August 31st at 11:59pm (EST). Good luck!

Target: Zombies (3 at 25 yards, 1 at 50 yards)

Alt. Target: Zombies Alt (3 at 25 yards, 1 at 50 yards)

Fake Edit: Additionally, thanks to one of our members (MingTheMerciless), we have reduced scale targets for use as well. These I am strictly limiting to .22lr for their use, which should coincide with any local indoor range caliber restrictions as well as make scoring a fair bit easier since there won't be giant holes in it.

If you want to use one of the reduced scale targets, they are available on the Postal Match page. Standard math says that if you use the 1/2 scale or 1/4 scale, you half the distance you shoot at and quarter the distance you're shooting at, respectively.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Re: June-August ZS Postal Match

Post by Mad Mike » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:47 am

elricfate wrote:It's officially summertime! Let's get outside!

Time for the June-August ZS Postal Match! You will find your scenario below, as well as your targets. Have fun!

You clear the blood and bile from your clothing as best you can. The stench has invaded your nose, making your eyes water. You still hear the occasional pop of gunfire in the distance. Not far now. Not far.

You take off on foot toward where you think the sounds are coming from and come upon a wagon-train of vehicles. The little cowboys are taking potshots at the indians who surround their camp. They don't seem concerned, but from the distance you're at, you can hear them coming. The ravenous horde, attracted by the sounds of gunfire, are coming.

You sit, quietly waiting, waiting for the horde to crest the ridge beyond you. As you wait you take note of a few walkers heading your way, attracted by the sound of your traversal through the woods. They seem slow, halting, almost like they're not sure you're there. You can see one get down on all fours and sniff the air like a dog. Well, that's new.

Please print four of the targets included in this post (you may also use the Alternative target if your range master does not allow silhouette targets) and use three rounds per target. There are no caliber restrictions (except on reduced scale targets), and you may choose a weapon you are comfortable with.

Targets (as well as expanded rules) are available on the Postal Match details page, or the links at the end of this post. Please send all targets to postalmatch@zombiehunters.org. In the event of a tie, targets will be judged based on how close to the bullseye they were. Remember all targets should be printed on 8.5"x11" paper for scoring purposes.

Fake Edit: Additionally, thanks to one of our members (MingTheMerciless), we have reduced scale targets for use as well. These I am strictly limiting to .22lr for their use, which should coincide with any local indoor range caliber restrictions as well as make scoring a fair bit easier since there won't be giant holes in it.

If you want to use one of the reduced scale targets, they are available on the Postal Match page. Standard math says that if you use the 1/2 scale or 1/4 scale, you half the distance you shoot at and quarter the distance you're shooting at, respectively.

Should I presume this is a standing only match? :?:

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:51 am

Mad Mike wrote:

However you're comfortable bud.
ZombieSquad Reservist

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:13 pm

elricfate wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:

However you're comfortable bud.

OK, thanks! I'll try standing & see how bad it sucks, then decide. :lol:

procyon

Post by procyon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:05 am

If you want to make it an informal standing match, I can probably talk my family into it.
And with my oldest girl back for a bit, I should actually be able to get these targets scanned in and sent.
:)
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:44 am

procyon wrote:If you want to make it an informal standing match, I can probably talk my family into it.
And with my oldest girl back for a bit, I should actually be able to get these targets scanned in and sent.

OK, I'm in! :clap:

procyon

Post by procyon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Mad Mike wrote:
procyon wrote:If you want to make it an informal standing match, I can probably talk my family into it.

Chatted with the family and they are on board with it.
We hope to get out Friday afternoon/evening to shoot - assuming it quits raining.
Blasting zombies in the rain could be good, but I just don't want to clean the guns afterward...
:clownshoes:
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:53 pm

procyon wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:

We hope to get out Friday afternoon/evening to shoot - assuming it quits raining.
Blasting zombies in the rain could be good, but I just don't want to clean the guns afterward...

Yeah, I dislike taking guns out in the rain too - a lot more field stripping & rust prevention is required! :ooh:

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Mad Mike wrote:
procyon wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:

Yeah, I dislike taking guns out in the rain too - a lot more field stripping & rust prevention is required! :ooh:

Well, I just sent off my targets - standing as per our informal agreement.
I shot my old Mini-14 and my M-1 carbine, but my niece's Marlin M781 took top honors.
It is a tube fed bolt gun, with a 4X Weaver scope on it.
I was just checking it out, since it hadn't been shot since the '70's & it was pretty impressive.
I made an offer to buy it, but NO was the answer! Imagine that!
If you like I'll E-mail you the targets - just for grins & giggles - let me know.

NapalmMan67

Post by NapalmMan67 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Any current postal matches in progress?

I saw there were some from 2014 for Dec/Jan. But my weak search skills did not see anything current...?
Always have a buddy and a backup plan!

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:15 pm

NapalmMan67 wrote:Any current postal matches in progress?

I saw there were some from 2014 for Dec/Jan. But my weak search skills did not see anything current...?

That reminds me - I don't recall seeing those results posted. :?:

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:17 am

First off, there are no current postals.

Second off, the results were never posted because like the two times before it, I didn't get two entries emailed to the postal box. Without at least two entries the postal is a wash and there's no point.

I got a little burnt about running them and having multiple people post on them, but then only getting one persons set of targets, so I took a break. I decided not to run any in the fall and winter.

If there's significant interest, I'll start another one, but really, it's not something people have been clamoring for.
ZombieSquad Reservist

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:56 am

elricfate wrote:First off, there are no current postals.

Second off, the results were never posted because like the two times before it, I didn't get two entries emailed to the postal box. Without at least two entries the postal is a wash and there's no point.

I got a little burnt about running them and having multiple people post on them, but then only getting one persons set of targets, so I took a break. I decided not to run any in the fall and winter.

If there's significant interest, I'll start another one, but really, it's not something people have been clamoring for.
Thanks for the response, and for your past efforts.
I'm interested in shooting, if you are up to another try.

NapalmMan67

Post by NapalmMan67 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:20 pm

Ok. Thanks for letting us know.
Always have a buddy and a backup plan!

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:32 am

If you two are interested in participating in one, I can put one up here in a couple of days. Maybe others will get interested too.
ZombieSquad Reservist

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:06 am

elricfate wrote:If you two are interested in participating in one, I can put one up here in a couple of days. Maybe others will get interested too.

Count me in!!! :awesome:

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:59 am

Repeated this one.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=118025
ZombieSquad Reservist

Mad Mike