What's with the availability of .22 ammo?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Re: What's with the availability of .22 ammo?

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Wideners.com has three flavors available, none of them cheap. I hadn't seen stingers in a while, but they're 8.80/50.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:15 pm

Just walked out of Gander Mountain with an 800rd bulk pack. No posted limits, average price was $.08/rd or less with taxes. Empty shelf marked $2.99/50 amidst a sea of Winchester, CCI, RWS, and more.

I guess FOIDs and a market price adjustment is keeping people from emptying them out here. No government agents buying them up or destroying them to be seen.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:15 am

Maybe just good timing, Cabella's near here had .22 last week had similar prices and availability (500 rounds total limit), but 24 hours later they were .10+ cents per round only left.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Just happened to be in a Dick's Sporting Goods and they had CCI 100 rd sleeves and 325 Fed Auto Match Boxes ... mix and match for 650 round limit

Twice in a week... Should I go buy a lottery ticket or is the tap starting to trickle?

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:22 pm

Man, I almost feel bad for y'all... Or maybe we're just living in a plentiful bubble here in S. Central Tejas:

Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:45 pm

91Eunozs wrote:Man, I almost feel bad for y'all... Or maybe we're just living in a plentiful bubble here in S. Central Tejas:

Looks like my basement only the boxes are a lot newer.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:01 pm

91Eunozs wrote:Man, I almost feel bad for y'all... Or maybe we're just living in a plentiful bubble here in S. Central Tejas:

Mumble, mumble, grumble, grumble.... :?

I had to go to Baton Rouge this week on business (had to meet with some elected pickpockets along with their henchmen, minions and/or flunkies). I pass by Cabellas on the way home. I stopped there since I had some time and because I hid my wallet in the car for the meeting I had some money left over. :D

They had all kinds of ammo in stock, all flavors and varieties, except .22 LR. Seriously nada. Plenty of everything else though. I still have not see any outside of a gun show or on a range in NOLA. I have not a clue where the hell it all goes down here.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:40 pm

So I was just told by the Cabelas here in town that they are starting to get hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo on a regular basis. They are even considering not limiting purchase. I was able to pick 1200 rounds the other day for $0.04 per round copper jacketed and there were still plenty more on the shelf. As word got out the supply dwindled to nothing throughout the day but they even had the a shelf full of the 325 bricks which I have not seen neither hide nor hair of in the last two years. All prices are just about normal they are just buying them off the shelf at a fairly quick rate but they say they have a regular shipment in again soon. I am still worried that some of the asshats around here are still trying to buy them up to keep the market strained so they can make a buck or two. i hope they choke on the surplus rounds they buy.

I'll keep checking regularly and make my purchases when I can. It's nice to not have to look at $69-90 for a brick of 325.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Prices are up but its available here in Ohio. Just not in Walmart.

Thankfully due to years of planning I am now down to my last 11000 rounds of stockpile.
I have not had to buy.22lr for 2 years or more and am just now looking into buying another case or two. I should be able to swing a deal with a few friends and group buy from a local dealer who is willing to give us the best discount.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:38 pm

STL MO area, Quantities are still limited, price is around .05-.06 per round and sell outs happen quickly... But I see it on shelves now regularly (probably average once a week) without getting a heads up or advertisement that it would be there

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:13 pm

raptor wrote:

Mumble, mumble, grumble, grumble.... :?

I had to go to Baton Rouge this week on business (had to meet with some elected pickpockets along with their henchmen, minions and/or flunkies). I pass by Cabellas on the way home. I stopped there since I had some time and because I hid my wallet in the car for the meeting I had some money left over. :D

They had all kinds of ammo in stock, all flavors and varieties, except .22 LR. Seriously nada. Plenty of everything else though. I still have not see any outside of a gun show or on a range in NOLA. I have not a clue where the hell it all goes down here.

I wish I could say the .22lr supply has improved, but it has not.

Unless I mail order it or pay a silly price at a gun show it remains a rare commodity locally.
Last edited by raptor on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:00 pm

Last edited by Bearcat on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:14 pm

Bearcat wrote:Maybe it's getting a little bit better; I just got a email from Brownells about in-stock .22 with no order limit. http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rim ... 78089.aspx
At 0.13/round I'd sell with no limit too!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:42 pm

I've been picking up a box or two for 4-5 cents/rd for a few weeks steady. It's likely that localized interruptions have localized causes, at this point.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:35 pm

Hollis wrote:
In the past people did not keep large quantity of ammo in their house. I wonder what it looks like today. Also what will happen when a owner realizes they will never shoot all of that ammo.
And who would that be? I don't know anyone who can't manage to shoot all that ammo ;)
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:43 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Hollis wrote:
In the past people did not keep large quantity of ammo in their house. I wonder what it looks like today. Also what will happen when a owner realizes they will never shoot all of that ammo.
And who would that be? I don't know anyone who can't manage to shoot all that ammo ;)
What about that one guy who only owns a single shot .22 ? I'm sure we all know a guy like that. :lol:

If he's got a few hundred thousand rounds of .22LR, that's one long damn range trip.

ETA: On topic, the supply of .22LR seems to be trickling back in a little in my AO. Most of it is still being hoarded by the price gougers, but they're being kicked from stores out here more and more so there's a little hope for me in getting some more .22LR to add to my small stash.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:25 pm

shit, I don't even look for it any more.

OTOH friggin 9mm is the lowest I believe I've seen it

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AW9FMJ115

17c a round before shipping, 20 c or thereabouts after. I have a potential cross country move in the next 2 months. Sitting on more than I know how to move already, but i'll be buying when settled if this continues.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:43 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
OTOH friggin 9mm is the lowest I believe I've seen it

That is what I have been shooting lately. I do not even bother bring out my .22 except for pest control.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:08 pm

i went on a camping area scout a few weeks ago and at one of the shooting pits I saw this.

Of course some obligatory fire pits.

Wait what is with all the brass in the fire pit, wait that isn't just brass that it full shells!

A better look

7.62X39
22 long and short
9mm

All live rounds! WTF. This is why there is ammo shortages, someone is dumping live ammo into firepits!
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Mej1947

Post by Mej1947 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:35 pm

A big part of the problem with the availability of .22 ammo is that the materials used in manufacture are also used in the center fires and there's more profit in the bigger calibers. The same reason applies to shotgun ammo. It cost's 2 to 3 times as much for a box of 410 ammo as it does for a box of 12 gauge.
As long as people will pay the higher prices the manufacturers will keep charging more.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:01 pm

ineffableone wrote:i went on a camping area scout a few weeks ago and at one of the shooting pits I saw this.

A better look

7.62X39
22 long and short
9mm

All live rounds! WTF. This is why there is ammo shortages, someone is dumping live ammo into firepits!

:shock: :cry: WTF man. WTF.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

yggdrasil45

Post by yggdrasil45 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:55 pm

woodsghost wrote:
ineffableone wrote:i went on a camping area scout a few weeks ago and at one of the shooting pits I saw this.

A better look

7.62X39
22 long and short
9mm

:shock: :cry: WTF man. WTF.
Looks as though someone's significant other was very angry with them.
The Great World Tree Yggdrasil Trembles too its Roots

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:24 pm

I have to confess I would be tempted to remove this ammo and at least recover the components. Even a well known cheapskate like me though would not risk shooting the stuff.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:39 pm

raptor wrote:I have to confess I would be tempted to remove this ammo and at least recover the components. Even a well known cheapskate like me though would not risk shooting the stuff.
I'm with Raptor on this one.

I'd save what I could and destroy the unusable stuff in a safe manner.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”