How \ Where do you store your magazines?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Blacksheep

How \ Where do you store your magazines?

Post by Blacksheep » Wed May 06, 2015 6:40 pm

sorry if this is a DUPE topic, forum search has never worked well for me.. and google turned up no relevant hits

I've read enough threads about loaded vs unloaded... THAT IS NOT WHAT I'M ASKING

I'm asking where do you store your extra mags?

do you store them by type or model?
do you store them INSIDE or OUTSIDE your safe?
do you store them in multiple portable containers? or one large bulky container

I'm looking to figure out a way to store my magazines (pistol\rifle) the most space efficiently
I find I can't make effecient use of the space of a ammo can unfortunately to store AR mags..
I do have a couple of the MTM 50 cal size plastic containers, and I managed to fit 21 mags in those if arranged properly
but I keep hunting a better more ocd satisfying solution

I would love pictures of it if possible of your magazine storage
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Re: How \ Where do you store your magazines?

Post by AS556 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:49 pm

I have a medium ALICE bag full of AR mags..that's good enough for me. No organization whatsoever.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:52 pm

I have a variety of ways to store mags, mostly based on how I plan to use them.

Combat Load: for home defense, hasty defense, peacekeeping, I store mags loaded and in my armor, chest rig, or cached at a holdout point, ready to be used.

Range Can: I have a can with mags, ammo, etc to take to the range.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed May 06, 2015 7:04 pm

In an ammo can, or in a rifle case. Eventually I'll make room in a safe for them. I also have some scattered in backpacks or on shelves.

You could always get one of these, because I'm a smart ass child:

They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Wed May 06, 2015 7:45 pm

kutter

what kind of mags in your range can?

pistol mags, I have an ammo can with them all mixed in,

rifle mags is the real brain racker.. I want them neat and space conscious

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed May 06, 2015 8:18 pm

I asked a related question a while ago.

Best option I found was a $20 LA Police Gear bag. I have...four of them. One dedicated for .40, one for 5.56, one for 7.62x51. And an extra that serves as a range bag.

Grab-and-go worthy.

Other than that, ammo cans work great.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed May 06, 2015 8:27 pm

Big pelican case I got cheap. Small tool bags from the dollar store work too. Ammo cans seem like an inefficient use of space, but that may be all the tetris I did as a child.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:11 pm

Blacksheep wrote:kutter

what kind of mags in your range can?

pistol mags, I have an ammo can with them all mixed in,

rifle mags is the real brain racker.. I want them neat and space conscious
Rifle mags in the range can, I don't have enough pistol mags.

All pistol mags are in the ready position.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Wed May 06, 2015 9:23 pm

I keep all my 5.56 mags in a big ass ammo can I found in a dumpster..

I think its a 30mm can: air tight, top comes off and holds a ton of mags.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Wed May 06, 2015 9:52 pm

Found a decent solution online
Aparently saw cans work much better than 50s

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... cviq68.jpg

Other picture to follow

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:43 pm

Ruger 10/22 and SR22 mags are stored empty in gun safe. I consider these training and range guns, so no need to store loaded or stashed about.

I have about 5 extra G19 mags loaded with ranger sxt located throughout the house. Each EDC pistol bag(2) has 3 loaded mags, with a few empty glock mags resting in my safe.

I have about 15-20 loaded AR mags. Mix of PMAG and USGI, loaded with M193. These mags can be found in my gladiator chest rig, on a banshee plate carrier shingle, or in a taco on my suregrip belt.

Lastly I have approximately 40 or 50 PMAGs new in wrapper sitting in a woodland MSS carrier in the corner of my armory.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed May 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Since I'm moving soon, I've been going over my storage options and trying to better organize. What I have been storing all my ammo and shooting/outdoor gear in is Steralite (or similar brand) storage totes. The ones I bought have locking handles and are cool tacticool tan colored and are designed to be stackable.

I found going to the storage section at Wally World or Tar'get gave me options similar to ammo cans, but at a fraction of the cost that offer more space saving. It's kinda hard to beat storing things in plastic boxes, especially if you can organize them by guns/ammo capability.

For my pistols, I keep the magazines in their respective gun case. I have a stockpile of Plano hard cases that I use.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed May 06, 2015 11:00 pm

I pretty much store entirely with a mind towards mobility. bunch of full mags in chest rigs, bunch of old aluminum mags in a USGI 6-mag bandolier, bunch of p-mags in an elastic bandolier, few more in duffle bags with various load-the-car-up-fast stuff.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed May 06, 2015 11:03 pm

I have 6 of my AR mags loaded with m193 scattered about the house. I have a double stacked AR mag in the AR at the ready. I have 5 Pistol mags loaded with HD rounds in the bed room with the pistol. Most are stored in my very tactical bag.... An Oakley messenger bag, it holds 10 AR mags, 5 pistol mags, extra ammo for the pistol, AR, and bolt gun.

Everything goes back in the safe when I leave for work except the mags (safe can only fit my guns).
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu May 07, 2015 12:53 am

I use one of these military surplus first aid packs with one of the three sections cut out. To hold most of my grab and go loaded AK mags.

Then I also have one of the Chinese chest rigs

As well as 2 10 rd mags in my Ribz front pack.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:23 am

I have a Blackhawk! Chest Rig with 8 AR PMAGs, and a B.F.G. bandolier with six USGI mags. The bandolier is stored on top of the safe, with the majority of my ammunition, and the chest rig is staged in the master closet. There are two AK PMAGs that ride in the center console of the XTerra (just in case?), but the remainder reside in another location in the house.

I keep my duty belt stocked with magazines. It has four Glock 17 mags, all loaded with 147 grain Winchester Rangers. There's a factory Glock 33-round magazine in my duty bag, that rides either shotgun or in the back seat of my patrol vehicle.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Thu May 07, 2015 9:02 am

looks like I need to get a few saw cans

those of you talking about storing mags in your rigs, are those the ONLY mags you have?

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Thu May 07, 2015 9:43 am

The linked 5.56 can is also known as a "fat .50 ammo can". If you care about locking up your magazines, you can add one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Ammo-Box-Lock-Har ... o+can+lock
Blacksheep wrote:Image

[trimmed for length]
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu May 07, 2015 10:56 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:Since I'm moving soon, I've been going over my storage options and trying to better organize. What I have been storing all my ammo and shooting/outdoor gear in is Steralite (or similar brand) storage totes. The ones I bought have locking handles and are cool tacticool tan colored and are designed to be stackable.

I found going to the storage section at Wally World or Tar'get gave me options similar to ammo cans, but at a fraction of the cost that offer more space saving. It's kinda hard to beat storing things in plastic boxes, especially if you can organize them by guns/ammo capability.

For my pistols, I keep the magazines in their respective gun case. I have a stockpile of Plano hard cases that I use.
I have a similar setup. I have various firearms each stored in the appropriate gun safes. In my Rifle safe I have what may be considered a "Grab and Go" box of loaded mags, basically just a Plano ammo box. Then I have a few empty mags floating around in my range bag, which usually has some boxes of ammo. However the vast majority of my empty mags, my stash of extra boxes of ammo, extra knives and other tactical, survival, hunting, and hiking crap are stored in large lockable plastic storage bins that my wife affectionately refer to as my "toy boxes".

eugene

Post by eugene » Thu May 07, 2015 6:06 pm

I only have 3 mags for the AR7 so far and those are stored in it. The M&P9C I have 10 mags, one in it and a second in the holster, then I have 6 more in dual mag pouches on a MOLLE belt panel. This way the Panel with 6 mags stays with the BOB but can be swapped into the range bag or another pack as needed. The other two are in the range bag and the M&P22 mags are in the range bag as well.

Ohh, caps and balls are in the shooting bag and powder in the horn for the smokepole :)
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu May 07, 2015 6:19 pm

my rifle mags:
2 on my war belt in the bedroom, one in the rifle.
50 or so in ammo cans on a shelf
6 or so in my range bag

Glock mags:
one in each glock, one more in each nightstand, 2 in the war belt, and a dozen or so in the range bag.

Random mags are usually in the safe with the random guns, there's like 2-3 per gun. (1911, .22, various CZ's etc)
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 07, 2015 7:21 pm

I keep most of them in one of those big rolling tool box tubs. The rest are scattered around the house. Does anyone know where my M1 carbine mags are? I can't find them.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu May 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Stercutus wrote:I keep most of them in one of those big rolling tool box tubs. The rest are scattered around the house. Does anyone know where my M1 carbine mags are? I can't find them.

LOL I bet they're next to my stainless McCormick 8-rounders that went AWOL around 2010, never to be seen again. I know that feel bro.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Thu May 07, 2015 8:05 pm

Actually, I know where those are, seriously.

-Jeff

crypto wrote:
LOL I bet they're next to my stainless McCormick 8-rounders that went AWOL around 2010, never to be seen again. I know that feel bro.
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”