When TV shows and movies get it wrong

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MacAttack

Re: When TV shows and movies get it wrong

Post by MacAttack » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:40 am

phydaux wrote:Since we're busting up on The Walking Dead, first five minutes of Season 1, Episode 1 - The cops are at a baracade, and Rick tells the new guy that his gun, CLEARLY a Glock 17, won't be of much use with the safety on. The rookie nods and then mimes flicking off the external safety of a handgun that has no external safety.

I think Rick was joking with him.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:58 am

phydaux wrote:Since we're busting up on The Walking Dead, first five minutes of Season 1, Episode 1 - The cops are at a baracade, and Rick tells the new guy that his gun, CLEARLY a Glock 17, won't be of much use with the safety on. The rookie nods and then mimes flicking off the external safety of a handgun that has no external safety.
I like Robert Crais's writing a lot, but his novel Hostage (later the movie with Bruce Willis) starts with a convenience store robbery during which the Korean store keeper can't get his Glock into action because of the safety. [emoji16]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:03 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Langenator wrote:Worse than that, I've seen multiple instances of actors thumbing the hammer (or the sound coming from off screen) on Glocks.
Yeah, I've seen that too.

I can't name the movies for the life of me, but they're out there.

Another one I hate is the "Guy gets shot with random gun and gets sent flying back ten feet" style of physics most Hollywood movies have. A good example of bad gun physics is Bruce Willis' "Last Man Standing" film from the 90's.
This. In every Tarantino / Robert Rodriguez movie, they fly through the air. It's ridiculous.

"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

ashwednesday

Post by ashwednesday » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:09 pm

The movie Shoot Em Up. Every scene is packed to the gills with factual and physical inaccuracies. The movie parodies itself, glorifying gun violence while having a savagely anti-gun political message.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:26 pm

ashwednesday wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Langenator wrote:Worse than that, I've seen multiple instances of actors thumbing the hammer (or the sound coming from off screen) on Glocks.
Yeah, I've seen that too.

I can't name the movies for the life of me, but they're out there.

Another one I hate is the "Guy gets shot with random gun and gets sent flying back ten feet" style of physics most Hollywood movies have. A good example of bad gun physics is Bruce Willis' "Last Man Standing" film from the 90's.
This. In every Tarantino / Robert Rodriguez movie, they fly through the air. It's ridiculous.

You'd think with the amount of money Tarantino and Rodriguez spend on their movies, they could hire at least one person who knows how guns really work, right ?

Hell, I'd be alright with having that job and I work cheap. I'm pretty sure Tarantino or Rodriguez could afford to hire me. :lol:

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Here's one that really made me say "What the actual fuck?":

In the Criminal Minds episode "Identity", there comes a part where one of the agents picks up an empty case and says "7.62, an assault rifle round", and if that wasn't bad enough, when the episode actually shows the bad guy's weapon, it is a 5.56 AR. :x
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:48 am

MacAttack wrote:

I think Rick was joking with him.

I don't think the scene was written as such, but it is a lot more fun if its Rick screwing with the new guy.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Something else that always puzzled me was how in the hell those guys on ST:TNG aimed those phasers. They don't have sights at all on them, and half the time they are showed being fired from the hip.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:29 pm

Just watched Jurassic world and Chris Pratts magical Marlin Guide gun that shoots semi auto.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:50 pm

The first episode of this season of TWD (the black and white one) had Rick decock the hammer on a Glock to symbolize he was no longer gonna blast a dude in the face with it.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:40 am

In TWD

Glen is facing buthead on the dumpster.
Buthead shoots himself in the side of the head but Glen gets sprayed just on the right side of his head. While still facing him. At least two feet away.

You would think at most he would get a full face on shot instead of just an ear full.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun May 29, 2016 6:21 pm

https://scontent.forf1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=57C46335

Does MagPul know their MOE handguards are NFA devices? :awesome:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Saw an advert for "Turn" on AMC. They showed a flint look or something of the sort,,and when he cocked the hammer back..... it was the sound of a bolt action being charged. I could stop laughing.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon May 30, 2016 9:49 pm

flybynight wrote:Just watched Jurassic world and Chris Pratts magical Marlin Guide gun that shoots semi auto.
That reminds me of something.

I was watching "The Expendables" the other day and I noticed that Sylvester Stallone had a pair of full auto 1911s. :lol:

Either his character was possessed by Jerry Miculek or Bob Munden at the time or someone in the editing booth goofed big time.

mattnall

Post by mattnall » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:29 pm

ShooterMike wrote:- Rick sticks out his beautifully pristine Python, supposedly aiming it at someone/thing, and it's obvious that he's actually pointing it at the ground and can't see either frickin' sight.
While trying to see if there were actually bullets in Ricks gun in the above pic I found many pics of Rick shooting and in nearly all of them he holds his gun like this.

Interesting there is no flame or smoke from around the cylinder, post production flame?;

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:07 pm

Not sure if anyone else said this but....

Where the hell does all the gasoline come from in TWD?
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:Not sure if anyone else said this but....

Try playing the otherwise excellent videogame The Last of Us. A significant plot point involves the two main characters driving an old pickup halfway across the country. Using 20-year old gasoline siphoned from abandoned cars along the way.

Maybe in the near future all gas will be treated with a magical fuel stabilizer that never ever goes bad. :ooh:

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:21 pm

majorhavoc wrote: Maybe in the near future all gas will be treated with a magical fuel stabilizer that never ever goes bad. :ooh:
We can hope! I'm looking for this innovation! :)

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:32 pm

DarkAxel wrote:Here's one that really made me say "What the actual fuck?":

In the Criminal Minds episode "Identity", there comes a part where one of the agents picks up an empty case and says "7.62, an assault rifle round", and if that wasn't bad enough, when the episode actually shows the bad guy's weapon, it is a 5.56 AR. :x
I hate that show because of their subtle but constant liberal agenda.

In one episode they even implied that anyone who home schools their child is a pedophile!

But I'll play devil's advocate here. I have not seen that episode and I don't know the exact dialogue.

7.62 x 39 is an 'assault rifle' round. However we all know that it is technically classified as an intermediate cartridge.

And that mainstream media calls anything that isn't a handgun an assault rifle.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:46 pm

I want to know where the hell they got all their ammo from. That stuff never seems to run out.

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:55 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I want to know where the hell they got all their ammo from. That stuff never seems to run out.
They finally addressed this last season... Seems Rick and Co. are the only people in the PAW that still have ammo, but they are running short...

Not to worry, Eugene is going to teach them how to make more.... How convenient! :)

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:57 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:Here's one that really made me say "What the actual fuck?":

I hate that show because of their subtle but constant liberal agenda.

In one episode they even implied that anyone who home schools their child is a pedophile!

But I'll play devil's advocate here. I have not seen that episode and I don't know the exact dialogue.

7.62 x 39 is an 'assault rifle' round. However we all know that it is technically classified as an intermediate cartridge.

And that mainstream media calls anything that isn't a handgun an assault rifle.
NCIS is just as bad, I see it when were at my parents, they watch it. The goth/emo/whatever she is supposed to be girl explained that frangible ammo was designed to inflict the most pain and suffering.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:51 pm

If I wanted to inflict extra pain and suffering, I'd figure out a way to put WP pellets in shotgun rounds.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:15 pm

Ignoring the unnecessary political commentary...

If you go back to the transcript, Abby describes the effects on the ammo after impact, notes that such effects explain the significant damage to the victim's first, and then Ducky notes that the shooter must have intended to cause the victim great pain (connecting the effects of the ammo in the particular case--not the general purpose of it--to the motive of the shooter) or was unfamiliar with the weapon (read=ammo).

Regarding the Criminal Minds episode and home schooling, I'd need to go back to that one, but if it's the religious group in Colorado, that wasn't the implication made as I recall. And the 7.62 remark was made upon finding an empty rifle rack and remarking that the unsub took his entire arsenal with him. A picture of Goehring elsewhere in the episode showed him with what looked like an AK variant, so the remark may have been in reference to that. But you're right--when they finally find the bad guy, he's armed with a 5.56.

There seems to be quite a tendency to jump at shadows when it comes to catching "errors" in TV.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”