5.56mm Green Tip M855 Could be banned

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

nwprepperman

5.56mm Green Tip M855 Could be banned

Post by nwprepperman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:33 pm

If you haven't heard, read this: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015021 ... ar-15-ammo

Of course, now it's sold out most places. I just bought some here, but I'd act fast if you need any.

http://www.ammunitionsupplycompany.com/?Click=39284

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: 5.56mm Green Tip M855 Could be banned

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Was just at Walmart last night, standing behind a guy buying $900 worth off ammunition (And I was jealous of the purchase) who was adamant that "Obama banned all 5.56 via executive order Friday, it goes into effect Monday".
Both the guy at the counter and I were just standing there scratching our heads.
Get ready for another run 5.56 because people are going crazy and it'll probably drive the prices up for awhile.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Maybe not use a lobbying organization press release as a source. Instead into the belly of the beast...

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/ ... rposes.pdf

Dog fuckers says I. And really the fault is not on the part of the dog either.

Skip down to the bottom of page 14 for the relevant stuff....How much does an AK bullet jacket weigh? I know the Chinese stuff is already banned.

5.56 had financially gotten low enough where I bought a couple of cans.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Given that pretty much any .223/5.56 round is capable of defeating soft armor when fired from an AR pistol, their rational seems disingenuous at best.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Mall Ninja wrote:Given that pretty much any .223/5.56 round is capable of defeating soft armor when fired from an AR pistol, their rational seems disingenuous at best.
That is because the code definition of what is "armor piercing" has absolutely nothing to do with the capability of the ammo to pierce armor.
(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921
You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:42 pm

I called asshattery until I read the ATF report linked above. It sounds like the reason it is getting the exemption is because of the popularity of AR pistols. Well that certainly sucks... Thanks for the good info there Stercutus.

It also states that they are currently in a discussion phase, so you should be able to write the ATF, perhaps getting some of the other wording like the armor piercing portion, and perhaps the pistol wording changed so that M855 is legal.

Luckily, I just purchased enough to last me.... a long time.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:20 pm

man, just when I finally convinced myself I don't like m855 as a round I get the itch to go buy more.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:25 pm

sounds like they need to redefine what a "pistol" is
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:29 pm

My understanding is that certain lead-free bullets (such as those made by Barnes) have an exemption from the ATF because they were determined to be for "sporting purposes." Would it be possible to make a "sporting purposes" argument when it comes to M855? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I can understand why they wrote the regulation the way they did, but unfortunately any regulation will have wacky repercussions when they try to apply it consistently to the ever changing real world.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:02 pm

quazi wrote:My understanding is that certain lead-free bullets (such as those made by Barnes) have an exemption from the ATF because they were determined to be for "sporting purposes." Would it be possible to make a "sporting purposes" argument when it comes to M855? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I can understand why they wrote the regulation the way they did, but unfortunately any regulation will have wacky repercussions when they try to apply it consistently to the ever changing real world.
You should read the article. The round was already operating under an exemption. They just decided to withdraw it.
You go over and under
I go through

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:03 pm

Hmmm... So if I happened to have a shit-ton of XM855 laying around I could probably sell it.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:12 pm

Interesting.
I was wondering what the folks on another forum were talking about. They noted that the price of M855 was already headed upward on several sites.
Last edited by raptor on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:14 pm

91Eunozs wrote:Hmmm... So if I happened to have a shit-ton of XM855 laying around I could probably sell it.
If you have some might be a good time to sell it. Per the ATF code owing it isn't illegal, but you will no longer be able to "buy" it. So if it does get banned, then selling could potentially become a big no no.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:48 pm

Funny thing is, I'm not even that big a fan of XM855 but now I want some!

Predictable human response... And will only lead to fueling the fire if we act on it.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:34 am

Stercutus wrote:
quazi wrote:My understanding is that certain lead-free bullets (such as those made by Barnes) have an exemption from the ATF because they were determined to be for "sporting purposes." Would it be possible to make a "sporting purposes" argument when it comes to M855? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

You should read the article. The round was already operating under an exemption. They just decided to withdraw it.
D'oh! It always irks me when people don't bother to read the original article, and now I have become what I hate. :oops:

If I'm reading the wording of Category II correctly, this could get even worse fast if TBTB decide not to allow any exemptions.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:12 am

quazi wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

D'oh! It always irks me when people don't bother to read the original article, and now I have become what I hate. :oops:

If I'm reading the wording of Category II correctly, this could get even worse fast if TBTB decide not to allow any exemptions.
Hard to say. This may just be a test case. It will definitely cause the price of ALL 5.56 to go back up in the short term.

This is kind of a whacky way to ban ammo. I don't know of anyone who carries an AR pistol around with them either good guys or bad guys. I have never even heard of an AR pistol being used in an attack on a police officer with M855 penetrating a vest. The idea that this has suddenly become a problem for officer safety seems to be false dichotomy of the first degree. I have my doubts that any police officer, at least in Alabama will suddenly feel even the slightest bit safer now that we have this dangerous "armor piercing handgun ammunition" off the street.
You go over and under
I go through

nwprepperman

Post by nwprepperman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:28 pm

If anyone is looking to buy some, they still have it in stock here, price went up a bit from yesterday when I got some, but not price gouging levels yet.
http://www.ammunitionsupplycompany.com/?Click=39284

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:31 pm

I know I'm a bad person, but the temptation to buy a bunch of M193, some green nail polish, and make a buttload of money at the next gun show is nearly overwhelming.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:37 pm

Well, I noticed on Ammoseek that the ~100 vendors selling XM855 last night has dropped to just 5 vendors. Prices up moderately.

Tried to grab some from PSA last night...$169.99 and free shipping for 420-rds of Federal in a 30 cal can. Every time I added it to my cart it said "you have zero items in your cart" though and I couldn't even log in to my account. Probably too many people trying to buy XM855 last night! :lol:

I did see some left at Academy and at Cabela's today. Only 900-rd cans of Rio brand M855 were left at my local Academy, about $450 I think. All the 20-rd boxes, as well as the 60 and 120-rd "bulk" cardboard and plastic boxes were gone, as were the 420-rd Federal bulk packs in the skinny little 30mm ammo cans. Gone...

Cabela's had a bunch of the P-Tac green tip as well as the Federal/American Eagle 20-rd boxes for $9.99 still on the shelves, as well as the sealed vinyl bag 120-rd "battle packs" of P-Tac for $79.99. They did have a couple dozen 450-rd 50-cal cans of the Federal XM855 for $229.99 though...I couldn't help myself and bought two cans even though that's a lot more than I've been paying for 5.56/.223 lately. I did get a military discount and a $25 coupon for my next purchase >$100 to help offset the price though...

Makes me wish I'd been able to convince my buddy to go in w/me to buy that 12,500-rd barrel of XM855 sitting at Academy when it dropped to under $5K earlier this summer. I do have a few of the Federal 300-rd bulk cardboard boxes and a couple 50 cal cans full of 20-rd boxes of XM855 from various manufacturers though; between that and what I grabbed today I should be gtg for awhile!

EDIT: Tons of every other flavor of .223 and 5.56 in stock everywhere.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Ironically a lot of police departments train with M855 because it was so cheap and is consistent.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I know I'm a bad person, but the temptation to buy a bunch of M193, some green nail polish, and make a buttload of money at the next gun show is nearly overwhelming.
:lol:

Years ago used to be black paint and a round of 7.62X63 was the thing at the gun show. They would swear it was armor piercing making it worth almost ten times the amount of a regular surplus round.

Just spread rumors that M193 is next on the list. You can still take home a pile of cash yet...
You go over and under
I go through

kbi
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD 2004 , Land of the dead , The resident evil movie's

Post by kbi » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:03 pm

raptor wrote:Interesting.
I was wondering what the folks on another forum were talking about. They noted that the price of M855 was already headed upward on several sites.
Ive been watching the M855/XM855/SS109 prices all weekend .

People asking $1.00 to a 2.00 on Gunbroker

Prices on ammoseek.com creeping up past .50 cents and wikiarms ammo vendors delisting ammo

The Equipment exchanges are just as bad.

And M193 and winchester Q3131 5.56x45 were at .50-.65 cents on the low end to .97-1.07 on the high end ( smdh ) earlier .

Unfortunately the ATF has already made up there mind in reclassifying M855/XM855/SS109 ammo. We need our rep's to get involve and our gun lobbies.

#1 If you plan on selling those rounds after 3/15/2015 people will be in violation of fed law .

#2 And forget loading your own ( no projos for sale ) either after siad date

The kicker for me is the feds say you can keep what you own but thats federal but on a state level if the rounds are reclassified as AP then people that live in states with AP ammo bans will be in trouble.

And if the ATF realizes they can go after one round for whatever reason they can go after other round's like .300 blackout or 6.8spc or 7.62x39 because they can.
Last edited by kbi on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote: dr doofenshmirtz Perry the Platypus what the hell!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:10 pm

kbi wrote:
#1 If you plan on selling those rounds after 3/15/2015 people will be in violation of fed law .

#2 And forget loading your own ( no projos for sale ) either after said date

My understanding was that you couldn't manufacture or conduct retail sale. Got a link to where it says those who already owned projectiles can't reload them?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:15 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
kbi wrote:

My understanding was that you couldn't manufacture or conduct retail sale. Got a link to where it says those who already owned projectiles can't reload them?
I think he means that one will be unable to buy new projectiles for reloading after the ban, though could reloading the bullets be considered manufacturing ammo if one already has the bullets?
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

kbi
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD 2004 , Land of the dead , The resident evil movie's

Post by kbi » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:26 pm

Kommander wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
kbi wrote:

I think he means that one will be unable to buy new projectiles for reloading after the ban, though could reloading the bullets be considered manufacturing ammo if one already has the bullets?
Exactly what was siad.

Whatever bullets/projectiles people have will be it . No more resupplying after midnight 3/15/2015

People at arfcom have been hitting reloading supply websites buying bullets/projectiles by the thousands

Hopefully a year from now people arent at the range and some suit shows up saying were you get that ammo! Prove it to me!
Quote: dr doofenshmirtz Perry the Platypus what the hell!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”