Page 42 of 108

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:41 am
by Dave_M
I think an upgraded lever gun (integral rail, improved sights, better ergos (like a large lever, loading gate on the left side etc)) would beat a pump. One issue is the type of rounds are limited due to the manner it loads.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:30 am
by Langenator
Well, you could always build one like the Winchester 1895 that loads from the top into an internal box magazine. The 7.62x54R Russian musket version could even load from stripper clips. (Hey, Winchester marketing people: re-build it, and I will buy!)

I suppose it's probably possible to build a lever gun that would use detachable box magazines. I know Remington made a pump rifle that used AR mags, but they discontinued it some years ago. 7915, IIRC.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:20 am
by jaowens76
Langenator wrote:Well, you could always build one like the Winchester 1895 that loads from the top into an internal box magazine. The 7.62x54R Russian musket version could even load from stripper clips. (Hey, Winchester marketing people: re-build it, and I will buy!)

I suppose it's probably possible to build a lever gun that would use detachable box magazines. I know Remington made a pump rifle that used AR mags, but they discontinued it some years ago. 7915, IIRC.
The browning BLR already does this, which also circumnavigated the round nose only issue. Available in .308 among other calibers. Just rather pricey imo.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:33 am
by RickOShea
Langenator wrote:I suppose it's probably possible to build a lever gun that would use detachable box magazines. I know Remington made a pump rifle that used AR mags, but they discontinued it some years ago. 7915, IIRC.
Well, there's always the Troy PAR and Bentwood UMOS pump-rifles.Image



Image



Image

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:29 pm
by Maverick299
I have an idea in my head, but I'm wondering if cutting down a old Colt barrel would be considered blasphemy?

I have an Double Diamond built AR in 9mm that accepts Glock mags. I'm thinking since it's a blowback design I won't have to worry about the typical feeding issues with gas fed pistols/barrel length and I could cut that baby down to the 8-10" range and throw a Sig arm brace on there and have a pretty fantastic little pistol. :awesome:

Anyone want to talk me out of this, or go for it?


(the one on the right, obviously)
Image

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:41 pm
by mortblanc
Only if it is already listed as a pistol receiver.

You can take the pistol to rifle and back but you can not take the rifle to pistol form w/o proper paperwork.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:14 pm
by chills1994
RickOShea wrote:
chills1994 wrote:Rob and Nils were shooting Glocks.
Rob was shooting a Glock?......Springfield ain't gonna like that.....not one bit.Image
Whoops! My goof. I meant Rob as in Robert Vogel, because that is usually how his name is displayed in official results. But everybody knows him as Bob.

Rob Leatham, I am assuming, was shooting some variant of an XD.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:22 pm
by chills1994
mortblanc wrote:Only if it is already listed as a pistol receiver.

You can take the pistol to rifle and back but you can not take the rifle to pistol form w/o proper paperwork.
Yeah, what he said.

I have never looked into it myself, just read about the "once a rifle always a rifle" deal on the various internet gun forums.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:37 pm
by Dogan
RickOShea wrote:
Shiloh wrote:
Part of me really, really wants to vote for the lever-gun. And I suppose if you spent the time training it could be incredibly effective for HD/self-defense. For example, a Rossi or Marlin chambered in .357 could make a great HD gun, something in a larger caliber for long-ish range work.

But in reality, unless you spent many many hours behind that gun and getting to know every bit of it I'd have to pick the pump shotgun. If for no other reason than the flexibility of ammo. Rifled slugs can easily be effective out to 100-200 yards, possibly even more if you tune the gun for it. Buckshot is...well, buckshot.

So my fanboy side says lever gun, because old west that shit. But if everything went to hell and all our fancy auto-loaders went out the window I'd most likely pick something like an 870 or 590A1.

Just my $0.02.
I wish the Israelis would bring back the pump-action Timber Wolf rifle, I'd like a .357 to go along with my .44.....The boolitz load thru the bottom like a pump shotty. Seems a little quicker and less fumbly than the side gate on most lever guns.



Image
WAnted one of those for years now.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:21 pm
by 12_Gauge_Chimp
Dogan wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Shiloh wrote:
Part of me really, really wants to vote for the lever-gun. And I suppose if you spent the time training it could be incredibly effective for HD/self-defense. For example, a Rossi or Marlin chambered in .357 could make a great HD gun, something in a larger caliber for long-ish range work.

But in reality, unless you spent many many hours behind that gun and getting to know every bit of it I'd have to pick the pump shotgun. If for no other reason than the flexibility of ammo. Rifled slugs can easily be effective out to 100-200 yards, possibly even more if you tune the gun for it. Buckshot is...well, buckshot.

So my fanboy side says lever gun, because old west that shit. But if everything went to hell and all our fancy auto-loaders went out the window I'd most likely pick something like an 870 or 590A1.

Just my $0.02.
I wish the Israelis would bring back the pump-action Timber Wolf rifle, I'd like a .357 to go along with my .44.....The boolitz load thru the bottom like a pump shotty. Seems a little quicker and less fumbly than the side gate on most lever guns.



Image
WAnted one of those for years now.
I'd love to see IWI make one of those, but they're probably going to be more focused on the Tavor and ACE than a pump action right now.

Also, I could've sworn I saw a stainless or nickel version of one of those rifles awhile back. It may have been a Beretta, but the receiver was very similar in shape to the gun Rick has.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:44 am
by 0122358
Ayone heard anything about a Tavor in .300 black yet?

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:10 pm
by Dave_M
Image

http://www.recoilweb.com/trijicon-mro-m ... 70203.html

The spec sheet got inadvertently leaked 2 days ago but now everything is out in the wild

TL;DR: Aimpoint Micro by Trijicon, basically. MSRP of $629 with mount $579 without

Going to need like, 4 of these

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:35 pm
by TheLastOne
Too lazy to look it up: is that a wider window than aimpoint?

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:46 pm
by jaowens76
So 100ish cheaper than a t1. Any other advantages? I see same battery life and equivalent brightness settings. Slightly bigger lens, but in my limited experience for anything less than 100m that won't matter.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:45 am
by Dave_M
TheLastOne wrote:Too lazy to look it up: is that a wider window than aimpoint?
25mm, so it bridges the gap between the fullsize M68/ML-series and a Micro.

jaowens76 wrote:So 100ish cheaper than a t1. Any other advantages? I see same battery life and equivalent brightness settings. Slightly bigger lens, but in my limited experience for anything less than 100m that won't matter.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Only $100 cheaper if you compare Triji MSRP to a street price of a T-1. $200+ less than a T-2. The larger window size is supposed to help mitigate tube effect. In reality, well I'll just have to try one. I prefer the larger Aimpoints on ARs due to that. On rifles with sights lower to the bore the Micro is AOK on my end.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:54 am
by chills1994
I have a full size "M68" on my 9mm AR. It seems to work well for that purpose.

EDIT: Not that I can do much shooting past 200 yards regardless of caliber.

I think C-more does make an aluminum body'ed railway type red dot that may be better suited to a 9mm AR, though.

EDIT#2: I mean if it is tough enough for John Connor to kill terminators with, it is good enough for me:

Image

:lol:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:27 am
by Dave_M
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Trijicon- ... 200006.htm

Street price: $544 with mount. Ships Sept 1

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:07 am
by TheLastOne
Good price point. Always wanted a look at their srs's, but who has $1100 to shell out for that?

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:19 pm
by Dave_M
TheLastOne wrote:Good price point. Always wanted a look at their srs's, but who has $1100 to shell out for that?
methinks Triji learned some lessons from the SRS. Smaller profit margin but larger volume with the MRO

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:00 pm
by TDW586
Dave_M wrote:https://www.armsunlimited.com/Trijicon- ... 200006.htm

Street price: $544 with mount. Ships Sept 1

Reasonable. I think I know what will be going on my new SBR upper.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:35 pm
by Dave_M
TDW586 wrote:
Dave_M wrote:https://www.armsunlimited.com/Trijicon- ... 200006.htm

Street price: $544 with mount. Ships Sept 1

Reasonable. I think I know what will be going on my new SBR upper.
And then there's this
https://www.botach.com/trijicon-mro-min ... r-battery/

$493 without mount. With mount depends on which one. Might be worth spinning the Botach wheel

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:58 pm
by chills1994
Local Walmart has a DPMS Sportical in .308 for like $699.

I am trying to remember if it was Regular Guy/Gingerbread Man who had problems with his .308 AR.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:17 pm
by 12_Gauge_Chimp
Anyone know if 12 gauge Mossberg 500 stocks will work on 20 gauge 500s ?

One of my cousins bought a used 20 gauge Mossberg 500 and it only had a pistol grip on it and he wants to put a full stock on it for dove hunting. He's got plenty of 12 gauge stocks (dude collects them for some reason) and was going to see if one of those would work, but I'm not sure if the receivers are the same specs or if they're a different size.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:35 pm
by Halfapint
Hey guys, anyone have experience with a savage 10T? Just picked one up. I've been told that they are great right out of the box, but it you replace the stock you got the equivilant to some much more expensive guns. It's got the threaded bbl as well so does anyone have a good muzzle brake that won't break my bank?

First impressions are this thing is awesome! I shot about 30rds though it and my shoulder wasn't sore at all, it's bolt was a touch sticky but I bet that's just cuz it's brand new and needs to be worked a little.