Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:13 pm

Dogan wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:In other news, just got the first of many "BUY HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES BEFORE ____________ IS ELECTED." And you motherfuckers wonder why the panic keeps reaching fever pitch.
Dude that shit just makes me sad now. SO and I are looking at finishing our AR's, setting aside the cash, looking into a sidearm for her and setting aside the cash, and oh, look. As soon as $500 dollar AR's are available again, and .22 is starting to flow in, here comes another round of elections! Better start the panic machine again!

(But it is a good excuse to stock up on mags and stripped lowers, if the last panic is any indication!)

dogan the uppers at PSA couldn't get any cheaper and lowers are around the $50 mark. It's hard for me not to buy 10 of everything right now.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:46 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Dogan wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:In other news, just got the first of many "BUY HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES BEFORE ____________ IS ELECTED." And you motherfuckers wonder why the panic keeps reaching fever pitch.
Dude that shit just makes me sad now. SO and I are looking at finishing our AR's, setting aside the cash, looking into a sidearm for her and setting aside the cash, and oh, look. As soon as $500 dollar AR's are available again, and .22 is starting to flow in, here comes another round of elections! Better start the panic machine again!

(But it is a good excuse to stock up on mags and stripped lowers, if the last panic is any indication!)

dogan the uppers at PSA couldn't get any cheaper and lowers are around the $50 mark. It's hard for me not to buy 10 of everything right now.
My favorite quote when shopping for anything (and trying to justify buying a little extra to prepare) probably would not help you then: Will it go bad? If no and you can swing it, go for it. :P
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:27 am

I stopped by the new Gander Mountain yesterday.

The main thing I wanted to look at was a used Remington 11-87 Police. :shock: that thing was heavy!

Then I fondled a Sig 716. Dayummmnnn...that's a heavy sucker too.

What caught my eye with the 11-87 Police was the rifle like front and rear sights. I already have 2, 1100's, so I am wondering if I could buy rigle sighted barrels for them.

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:01 pm

chills1994 wrote:I stopped by the new Gander Mountain yesterday.

The main thing I wanted to look at was a used Remington 11-87 Police. :shock: that thing was heavy!

Then I fondled a Sig 716. Dayummmnnn...that's a heavy sucker too.

What caught my eye with the 11-87 Police was the rifle like front and rear sights. I already have 2, 1100's, so I am wondering if I could buy rigle sighted barrels for them.
I don't see why you couldn't find rifle sighted barrels for an 1100, Chills.

I think either Brownell's or Cabela's had some awhile back. Might've been rifled barrels, though.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Anyone try the ALG Defense AK trigger yet ?

I've seen a few videos on it and the trigger pull looks awful light to me. So I was wondering if anyone here had a chance to try it out and see if the trigger pull was too light or if I'm just being a little nervous.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:33 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Anyone try the ALG Defense AK trigger yet ?

I've seen a few videos on it and the trigger pull looks awful light to me. So I was wondering if anyone here had a chance to try it out and see if the trigger pull was too light or if I'm just being a little nervous.
Frankly, I can't see much of a point to a HSLD AK trigger. Maybe for a Dragunov-ish build, but beyond that, Tapco trigger works, ya know?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Scoping out inexpensive surplus 9mm's and I just came across one of the ugliest guns I have ever seen. Ladies and gentlemen, the Croatian PHP MV:
I assure you that is not photoshop.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Did it bend?

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:54 pm

So my friend jumped on that same AR lower deal that I did. Now he's looking to build up one of his lowers. I advised him to get an ACT trigger, but who makes a decent lower parts kit that won't break the bank?

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Aim surplus has a spikes tac Lpk minus trigger for $49 Is that good?
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:37 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Aim surplus has a spikes tac Lpk minus trigger for $49 Is that good?
Sometimes you can find RRA or DPMS sans FCG for $35.,that's what I used on my last one.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:27 pm

Someone convince me to not sell my M&P45c in order to get a compact 1911. Cuz I'm hankering for one.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Greg Focker wrote:So my friend jumped on that same AR lower deal that I did. Now he's looking to build up one of his lowers. I advised him to get an ACT trigger, but who makes a decent lower parts kit that won't break the bank?
I just buy parts when I see 'em on sale at Brownell's, Midway, PSA, etc... Keep a drawer out in my garage workbench filled with various springs, pins, etc. and the tools needed to assemble an AR.

$70 for a PSA lower kit sans FCG: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... egory/388/

$190 for a PSA kit w/Magpul MOE furniture and an ALG QMS trigger: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... egory/388/
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:34 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Anyone try the ALG Defense AK trigger yet ?

Frankly, I can't see much of a point to a HSLD AK trigger. Maybe for a Dragunov-ish build, but beyond that, Tapco trigger works, ya know?
I like the idea of the ALG trigger, but I'll probably end up sticking with the trigger that came with my AK.

After watching a few more YouTube videos on it, it seems like the trigger pull is really light compared to a standard AK trigger and that has me nervous.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:38 pm

What are ZS's collective thoughts on the CZ83 for a first CC pistol? Little Makarov/PPK style .380 with a 12 round capacity, DA/SA and down-for-fire safety.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Dogan wrote:What are ZS's collective thoughts on the CZ83 for a first CC pistol? Little Makarov/PPK style .380 with a 12 round capacity, DA/SA and down-for-fire safety.
I thought they were 13 round capacity.

Or am I thinking of the CZ82 ?

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:44 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Dogan wrote:What are ZS's collective thoughts on the CZ83 for a first CC pistol? Little Makarov/PPK style .380 with a 12 round capacity, DA/SA and down-for-fire safety.

It varies, depending upon the round (they came in 9mm Mak, .380, and 32 IIRC) and the mag we're talking. My understanding is that the mags operational capacity differs. That may be entirely wrong, my research is the product of last night and yesterday on break.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:47 pm

Dogan wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

It varies, depending upon the round (they came in 9mm Mak, .380, and 32 IIRC) and the mag we're talking. My understanding is that the mags operational capacity differs. That may be entirely wrong, my research is the product of last night and yesterday on break.
Huh, I was told by some gun shop counter guy that the 82 and 83 used the same mags. He could very well have been BS'ing me, though. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Probably explains how I ended up with a Nagant revolver instead of the cheap Makarov in the same case.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:18 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Dogan wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Huh, I was told by some gun shop counter guy that the 82 and 83 used the same mags. He could very well have been BS'ing me, though. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Probably explains how I ended up with a Nagant revolver instead of the cheap Makarov in the same case.
Same mags, IIRC, all single-stack.

Dogan, be wary of blowback gats. They're either heavy, high-recoiling, or both. They're cheap, sure, but not much cheaper than a used Shield these days.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:32 pm

I think the 82/83 mags are double stack, but I could be wrong.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Dogan wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Same mags, IIRC, all single-stack.

Dogan, be wary of blowback gats. They're either heavy, high-recoiling, or both. They're cheap, sure, but not much cheaper than a used Shield these days.
Noted.Used Shields for $250? Where? Seriously asking, if you know of one at $250 link me bro. Just checked GB. My brain is still stuck on "Shields are awesomesauce that are impossible to find because they are so sexy and every tacticool guy has one" mode. (Very related: SO has shot the Shield and did not like it. But I did.)

Just googled it, mags are stagger stack for the 83, with what looks like an official capacity of 12 for .380 and 9x18, 15 for the .32.

Also related: I work in a varying array of places and with an array of clientele. After August when I get my concealed carry license and start carrying my SD9VE, I'm going to need someplace secure to stash it when I go into government buildings, libraries, or pick up developmentally disabled clients. Any thoughts on small safes for a 2004 Interceptor Crown Vic and location? I can't decide between a console locker (no console ATM as the old one was swapped for controls for lights, sirens and removed when it was sold off) or a little lock box in the back, to the side of the spare tire. Option 1 speaks to convenience and lack of suspicion, while #2 offers a little more security.

Dave_M

Post by Dave_M » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:22 pm

I've had to keep a lid on this, but since a preview was posted today...
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:43 pm

A). Mount seems legit for intended use for serious types

B). How the crap is your barrel so un-marred
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dave_M

Post by Dave_M » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:54 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
B). How the crap is your barrel so un-marred
The combined magic of refinishing and post processing.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”