Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

quazi

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by quazi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:16 pm

Rifles came in to my FFL in town yesterday. It just so happens that I can probably sneak out of work early today.

The only thing that is making me maybe want to wait until Saturday is that Rogue One will be in theaters.

I want rifles more! Screw waiting two whole extra days!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:52 pm

quazi wrote:Rifles came in to my FFL in town yesterday. It just so happens that I can probably sneak out of work early today.

The only thing that is making me maybe want to wait until Saturday is that Rogue One will be in theaters.

Wait, there's another Star Wars movie hitting theaters ?

Man, Disney is really milking the franchise now. Back when Lucas had it, we had to wait a couple years or more until a new one came out. :lol:

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:58 pm

Yep, but it's not part of the new main story line. From the little I've picked up hearing other people talk about it it's set during the time period of the original trilogy and is maybe going to have a Kelly's Heroes kind of vibe.

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:38 pm

quazi wrote:Rifles came in to my FFL in town yesterday. It just so happens that I can probably sneak out of work early today.

Two whole extra days.... back in my day you had to wait decades for new Star Wars movies.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:Two whole extra days.... back in my day you had to wait decades for new Star Wars movies.
Walking through the snow uphill both ways must have made The Phantom Menace even more of a letdown. :lol:

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:46 pm

quazi wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:Two whole extra days.... back in my day you had to wait decades for new Star Wars movies.
Walking through the snow uphill both ways must have made The Phantom Menace even more of a letdown. :lol:
Indeed

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:57 pm

2 days?!?! please I cant get my pistol for another 5! :( went in on Monday to drop off my slide to get the sights adjusted properly (it was dropped and the rear sight was all fucky) the problem is I work from 9-530, and they are open 10-6. So I have to wait until Sunday to get my pew pew back in my grubby little hands.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:

Two whole extra days.... back in my day you had to wait decades for new Star Wars movies.
Yea but back in the day the movie prologue read About two days ago in a galaxy not that far away.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:

You're probably not that much older than me, Hiro, so I'm thinking we waited about the same amount of time for the prequels.

Were you as disappointed as I was when Jar Jar came onscreen and basically turned what should've been a great movie into Jim Henson's Star Wars Babies ? :lol:

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:25 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Wait, there's another Star Wars movie hitting theaters ?

Man, Disney is really milking the franchise now. Back when Lucas had it, we had to wait a couple years or more until a new one came out. :lol:
Disney has a Star Wars movie per year for about 8 or 10 years planned from what I've heard. Solo back story and others that run parallel to original timelines.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:40 am

Bulls: Yes, it's almost enough to make me want to not watch anymore SW films. They are milking it for all it's worth because they know they have a fan base that will watch every single one of them at least once and probably in a theater.

Chimpov: Jar Jar Binks was either the useful idiot who nearly single handedly created The Empire, or he is complicit with the Sith. So either he is an idiot, or he is evil. Take your pick. I could go on and on for days about Jar Jar Binks and his 'contributions' to the franchise.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:25 am

Since you guys are taking Star Wars,.. I'm making a No Spoiler Request on Rogue One.. I'm taking my daughters and all their best friends on Sunday afternoon to see Rogue one.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:33 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Dogan wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
flybynight wrote:I looked to see if there was a image of one of those ads. Couldn't find one .... but did find this makes ya want cry for the good old days. Image
Someone get me a time machine, some era correct money (lots of it), a big Uhaul trailer and the addresses of gun shops that were around at the time of this ad.

Anyone feel like making a trip to the past for one hell of a shopping spree ? :clap:
Be sure to pick up some Carl Gustavs, Madsens, and a few 1919's. Stop in at 1985 to say your uncle died and get them all papered. And a PPSH41 for me. If you can't find one I'd be happy with a Goryunov. :wink:
Roger that, Dogan. :lol:
Well, someone should get to work on this. I hear hot tubs, phone booths and DeLoreans are the preferred chassis for time machines.

Portals also seem to be a preferred method of time travel, but that's just ridiculous! Let's be realistic here.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:29 pm

Halfapint wrote:2 days?!?! please I cant get my pistol for another 5! :( went in on Monday to drop off my slide to get the sights adjusted properly (it was dropped and the rear sight was all fucky) the problem is I work from 9-530, and they are open 10-6. So I have to wait until Sunday to get my pew pew back in my grubby little hands.
I ended up waiting maybe six hours. :P

On initial inspection both M39s look good. Now I just need to get some degreaser.

One has a "D" shank barrel, and the other doesn't. My understanding is that the D was to indicate that the barrel has a slightly larger bore to accommodate Soviet ammunition, but I've also heard that all M39 rifles are safe to shoot with pretty much any 7.62x54R, and it's only some of the earlier models of Finnish Nagants that might have problems. I guess I'll have to do more research.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:07 pm

quazi wrote:
Halfapint wrote:2 days?!?! please I cant get my pistol for another 5! :( went in on Monday to drop off my slide to get the sights adjusted properly (it was dropped and the rear sight was all fucky) the problem is I work from 9-530, and they are open 10-6. So I have to wait until Sunday to get my pew pew back in my grubby little hands.
I ended up waiting maybe six hours. :P

On initial inspection both M39s look good. Now I just need to get some degreaser.

One has a "D" shank barrel, and the other doesn't. My understanding is that the D was to indicate that the barrel has a slightly larger bore to accommodate Soviet ammunition, but I've also heard that all M39 rifles are safe to shoot with pretty much any 7.62x54R, and it's only some of the earlier models of Finnish Nagants that might have problems. I guess I'll have to do more research.
If you have access to a lump of pure lead and a wooden dowel of about .3" then you can just slug the bore to be sure. You can also take a loaded round of 7.62x54 and gentlky drop it nose-first into the bore and see how far in it goes. That'll tell you the diameter at the crown as long as neither has been backbored.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:21 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:If you have access to a lump of pure lead and a wooden dowel of about .3" then you can just slug the bore to be sure. You can also take a loaded round of 7.62x54 and gentlky drop it nose-first into the bore and see how far in it goes. That'll tell you the diameter at the crown as long as neither has been backbored.
Do you have a link to how to do that?

I did a little more research and based on what I've read there is basically no chance that a M39 will be unsafe to shoot even if it doesn't have a D on the barrel. It might be interesting to check the bore diameter anyway.

In other news, I pitched in with my cousins to get my Aunt a Henry .22 rifle for Christmas. It seems pretty nice. She likes westerns, and has been talking about getting a .22, so I think she'll like it.

Also my mom mentioned wanting to take a handgun class. :clap: It might be tricky finding one that works with her schedule though.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:59 pm

Anyone know anything about Sabatti rifles ?

A friend of mine scored one from CDNN Sports for about 550 bucks and he's got me interested in one now. All I know is the company is Italian and the rifles seem to be well built, just not very popular here in the US. They seem to be really popular in Italy and the rest of Europe, though.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:01 pm

quazi wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:If you have access to a lump of pure lead and a wooden dowel of about .3" then you can just slug the bore to be sure. You can also take a loaded round of 7.62x54 and gentlky drop it nose-first into the bore and see how far in it goes. That'll tell you the diameter at the crown as long as neither has been backbored.
Do you have a link to how to do that?

I did a little more research and based on what I've read there is basically no chance that a M39 will be unsafe to shoot even if it doesn't have a D on the barrel. It might be interesting to check the bore diameter anyway.

In other news, I pitched in with my cousins to get my Aunt a Henry .22 rifle for Christmas. It seems pretty nice. She likes westerns, and has been talking about getting a .22, so I think she'll like it.

Also my mom mentioned wanting to take a handgun class. :clap: It might be tricky finding one that works with her schedule though.
Here you go, Quazi.

How to slug a rifle barrel with Iraqveteran8888.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:35 pm

Ok confession time. I have never liked Glocks. I hated the grip angle, the blocky feeling and they never pointed naturally for me. However last year I got a Just Right 9mm Carbine with the Glock magwell. I wanted the Glock magwell as I knew I could easily acquire 33rd Magazines for it. I then added the Just Right Carbine in 45ACP with the Glock magwell to my collection and still plan to add the 40S&W with the glock magwell to my collection next year. I choose the Glock Magwell over the option of the M&P magwells since Glock mags are everywhere and cheaper to acquire than the M&P mags plus the High capacity magazine options from other manufactures made it the obvious choice. Then I saw on here and other forums that the Gen 4 Glocks had the different back straps for the grip allowing for a better fit to individual hands. So I spent a couple of weeks at several of the local fun stores fingering the new Gen 4 G19's. I finally justified getting one in the Burnt Bronze finish and brought it home late last week. Then between my in laws in town and the kids schedules I did not get a chance to go down the street and shoot it until yesterday and my wife went with me as I have been trying to get her to switch out the Taurus 9mm Millennium Gen1 (yes I know there is a recall on them part of the reason I wanted her to switch out to something better). that I got about 6 years ago for $150 form a widow that just wanted it out of the house. As a side not my wife got her CCW about 4 months ago. Any way we went down the street and both put a couple of mags thru it and thru my XD-9 as well. She shot the G-19 better than she has ever shot any other autoloader before. We then stopped back buy the house dropped of the range bag and headed back to town where she used her CCW for a firearm purchase for the first time and her actual first ever firearm purchase (all the other ones she has had were given to he by her father). Now she is the proud owner of a Gen 4 G19 for her EDC weapon. Hers has the removable plate set up for attaching a micro red dot as well. We then went back down the street to shoot her new weapon and mine again as well. Even had fun doing 33rd mag dumps through each one at 10 yrds with the mags I got for the Just Right Carbine. Both G19's ran flawlessly even with mags of my reloads using home cast bullets that I made on the back patio. So now I am a Satisfied Glock owner as I finally like the grip, grip angle and they point naturally for me. I still love my Springfield XD's and will not be getting rid of them. Especially since I can get 33rd mags for them now too. I have already resigned myself to the fact that I will be getting Gen4 Glocks in both 40S&W and 45 ACP as well to match up with the just right carbines in those calibers as well.
Regulators mount up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:44 pm

I kind of want to trade my G41 for the MOS version, but I know it'll be awhile before I can afford to put an optic on it.

That and the base plates for the optics are only made for specific models that are all hundreds of dollars. Even the Burris FastFire is out of my price range right now. :(

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Man I really want to try the new CZ striker fired pistol. Finding one is going to be super difficult though I'm guessing :vmad:
Man is a beast of prey

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:56 pm

the_alias wrote:Man I really want to try the new CZ striker fired pistol. Finding one is going to be super difficult though I'm guessing :vmad:
CZ has a new striker fired pistol ?

And I'm betting it'll be at least a few months until we start being able to get them easily.

Look at the Ruger American pistols. For about 6 months, they were near impossible to get. After that it pretty easy to get them in stores.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:49 pm

Man is a beast of prey

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Seems pretty slow today... How about this silly question?

Anyone have any strong feelings about a new 9mm? My better half requisitioned my beautiful FDE G19. I hated it until I started shooting it and because it was mostly a range toy I never carried it. I don't mind letting it go because she liked it, she will shoot it more than her previous pistol and it was genuinely too pretty to abuse. I have an HK45c that I usually carry in a hybrid holster but something smaller and more concealable would be nice.

Is the 43 too small?
Is the 26 too big?
Are the 43 and 26 disproportionately harder to shoot that a 19?
Is the 19 much harder to conceal than a 26 or 43?

I realize lifestyle, background and body-shape are going to influence these questions and I am heavily leaning towards a 26 but... let's have fun with this.
:words:
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”