Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

chills1994

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by chills1994 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:11 pm

I would think about putting in a new trigger (or fire control group).

I have a cheap Russian made over under shotgun called a Baikal. I was out pheasant hunting with it, a bird flushed, got far enough way, and I was on the trigger. BOOM! It gave the bird both barrels at the same time, completely mutilating the bird. But what was the nerve racking part for me was wondering if my dog was going to be gun shy after that.

He wasn't. Thank goodness!

I also have seen or heard my fair share of Glocks, 1911s, and 2011s go double, triple or even full auto at pistol matches.

It is a safety thing.

In my case, I haven't shot that cheap over under since that incident.

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:20 pm

Decisions....decisions....

I was kinda eyeballing .308 "AR-10" style rifles last week.

It seemed like on the low end was the DPMS LR308.

Then the S&W M&P10.

Then the Ruger SR762.

And then the Sig 716.

Each with a corresponding step up in price. One local gun store has a Daniel Defense .308 AR but it was decked out in like Real Tree or Mossy Oak camo. They also had a DPMS Gen II, but it looked like it had a really long barrel like 24 inches. I'd like something like 16 or 18 inches long.

The Sig 716 was the most expensive of the 4. It also was the heaviest.

A guy I worked with hooked me up with a kitchen table FFL guy. I should probably email him to ask for some price quotes.

Of course, I need a replacement for my pheasant gun too.

Decisions....decisions....

Guns are icky!

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:57 pm

I'm a big fan of my M&P-10.

Just sayin'.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:16 am

woodsghost wrote:Ok. Confirmed zero on my deer rifle yesterday (WASR 10). My shooting was a bit off due to a bunch of reasons, but I should be able to ethically tag a deer from 70 yards on in. Probably can take a shot out to 120 yards if I have the time to really steady myself. Not a happy thing to say, but I"m rusty, and need to be honest.

Problem: While sighting things in I had a double-fire. I'm pretty sure it was a bump fire. I've been having these fairly frequently now. Almost always it seems to come from not tucking the stock into my shoulder tight and doing this thing where I don't release the trigger fully. I just kinda let the rifle rock back, let the trigger re-set, and then let my shoulder push the rifle forward till it fires again. It has almost always happened while prone or with the rifle on a rest.

So, question: Do I fix this? Do I shrug this off? If I fix it; how? Do I buy a new trigger? Do I retrain my finger? Retrain my body? Get better training?

Let me know what y'all think!

Thanks!!!
I would let someone else try to reproduce the problem by shooting it a little first. If they can't, its you.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:02 pm

My Boyd's stock showed up yesterday. It's pretty. I have a kit to pillar and glass bed it with the action and hopefully I'll be able to do that this weekend.

Apparently the box Remington sent me to return my rifle for warranty work was accidentally delivered to my neighbor's house. I had just assumed they decided not to send it, as he was out of town and it apparently sat on his porch for about five weeks.

I know it's not Remington's fault, but this still does not inspire a lot of confidence in me for this whole process, and I think I'm just going to buy a drop-in trigger. It's kind of a shame, as this rifle is going to be more of a close-range woods gun and doesn't need a great trigger.

I know Timney is pretty much the go-to drop-in trigger for the Remington 700, but do you guys have any other suggestions? I wouldn't mind getting something cheaper, but on the other hand if someday I want to use this action for more of a precision setup I'd probably be kicking myself for trying to save $25 and getting a shitty trigger.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:11 pm

These are fine. I've owned two of the AP4 models for more than 10 years with zero issues with either. One is more accurate than the other shooting 1/2" MOA and the other around 1.5" MOA. Round count is around 4.5K and 1.5K respectively. Heavy though. Makes a good bench gun unless you are strongly built and don't mind the weight.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:10 am

Oh,.. I gotta have that. Yea, its tacti-goofy and I'm sure its heavy, but I wanna look like a space soldier when I go hunting.

It stops being funny when it starts being you.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:32 pm

brothaman wrote:Oh,.. I gotta have that. Yea, its tacti-goofy and I'm sure its heavy, but I wanna look like a space soldier when I go hunting.

I kind of want a stock like that for my Hungarian AK. I wonder if anyone makes a stock like that for AKs.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:07 pm

Beowolf wrote:I'm a big fan of my M&P-10.

Just sayin'.
Duly noted. Thank you!

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:25 pm

Stercutus wrote:
These are fine. I've owned two of the AP4 models for more than 10 years with zero issues with either. One is more accurate than the other shooting 1/2" MOA and the other around 1.5" MOA. Round count is around 4.5K and 1.5K respectively. Heavy though. Makes a good bench gun unless you are strongly built and don't mind the weight.
Any idea what accounts for the accuracy differences?

About the only thing I have heard about them is they are over-gassed. So they either beat up brass upon ejection and/or the brass gets thrown into the next county.

Guns are icky!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:22 pm

chills1994 wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Any idea what accounts for the accuracy differences?

About the only thing I have heard about them is they are over-gassed. So they either beat up brass upon ejection and/or the brass gets thrown into the next county.
Both drop the brass about three feet away. Does not beat it up or throw it as far as most of my 5.56 guns. I have not really dug into it. The more accurate one has a free float quad rail and the other has a free float tube with a bipod attached. From a gas gun I accept anything under 2" as good enough. Marginal improvements can get costly and time consuming.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:26 pm

Is there an official milspec diagram for 5.56x45? I know there's multiple variations, I'd be interested in seeing them all if anyone has a source.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:28 am

BullOnParade wrote:Is there an official milspec diagram for 5.56x45? I know there's multiple variations, I'd be interested in seeing them all if anyone has a source.
Well, I thought there was a SAAMI spec, but can only find .223 Remington. Here's a diagram from Wikipedia for 5.56 NATO that looks correct:

Are you looking for OAL or just brass sizing? Obviously a lot of variation based on the bullet, but case sizing should all be the same.

Original image here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:5.56x45mm_NATO.jpg

Lot's of good data here: http://www.saami.org/
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:08 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
BullOnParade wrote:Is there an official milspec diagram for 5.56x45? I know there's multiple variations, I'd be interested in seeing them all if anyone has a source.
Well, I thought there was a SAAMI spec, but can only find .223 Remington. Here's a diagram from Wikipedia for 5.56 NATO that looks correct:

[img]

Are you looking for OAL or just brass sizing? Obviously a lot of variation based on the bullet, but case sizing should all be the same.

Original image here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:5.56x45mm_NATO.jpg

Lot's of good data here: http://www.saami.org/
I'm planning to get the technical drawing as a tattoo. I have sourced multiple prints online and through reloading manuals, but as you said, variation based on bullet. So I thought I'd see what were on the mil spec drawing and default to that.

Thanks for doing some digging for me.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Anyone else anxiously waiting for prices to drop?
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Dabster wrote:Anyone else anxiously waiting for prices to drop?
I am, but price drops won't do me any good at the moment. I spent all my free cash on a plate carrier and plates set up.

I got a pretty good deal on the rig from a local dealer and it included free delivery to my house by the dealer himself. :lol:

I am looking to add a Ruger American 9mm to my collection next year, though. I wanted a CZ P-09, but extra mags for that gun are like 50 bucks a pop. :shock:

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:27 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I am, but price drops won't do me any good at the moment. I spent all my free cash on a plate carrier and plates set up.

I got a pretty good deal on the rig from a local dealer and it included free delivery to my house by the dealer himself. :lol:

I am looking to add a Ruger American 9mm to my collection next year, though. I wanted a CZ P-09, but extra mags for that gun are like 50 bucks a pop. :shock:
My usual go to place for mags is Greg Cote LLC. You are right P-09 mags are $43.95 there. Cha ching! Ouch!

Guns are icky!

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:56 am

I've gotten some Mags from GregCote. I have to pay tax on them cause we're both in FL.

Hey, this SCAR is for sale on Guntrader but I'm seeing some weird looking wear patterns in the guts. Is this normal? Ima SCAR Virgin.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:05 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

:clap:
Did you post description and pics somewhere?
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:18 pm

Dabster wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

:clap:
Did you post description and pics somewhere?
I don't have the rig in my hands just yet, Dabster. Delivery is still two weeks out according to my dealer.

Once I get my hands on it, I'll post pics of it. :D

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:04 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I don't have the rig in my hands just yet, Dabster. Delivery is still two weeks out according to my dealer.

Mr. 12:

Do you wear the vest underneath the rig?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:30 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Mr. 12:

Do you wear the vest underneath the rig?
Actually, it's a plate carrier with plates. Not one of those soft kevlar vests like the police wear.

Sorry for the confusion. I tend to use the word "rig" to describe stuff like that.

And feel free to call me Chimp. :)

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:39 pm

Sorry, I don't know a thing about SCARs.

I actually went to the range today. Weather was awesome for November. :clap:

The place I went to today was busy on their rifle range. Luckily, they have a pistol bay using those big concrete lego blocks for both side walls. They actually let me draw from a holster. But now, unfortunately, they don't let us shoot steel any more. :(

It was $10 to use their range.

The club I am a member of won't let us draw from holsters. They have steel targets, but I think you have to be a Range Officer to shoot them on your own.

Anywhooo...I think that was just the second time this whole year I have been to the range. :(

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:51 pm

chills1994 wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

My usual go to place for mags is Greg Cote LLC. You are right P-09 mags are $43.95 there. Cha ching! Ouch!
It's a shame the mags are so costly because I really like the gun.

Before I pull the trigger on buying the Ruger American 9mm, I need to see who has mags for it and how much they are.

ETA: Found some mags for the Ruger American 9mm at CTD and they're only 26 bucks a pop. They're right about at Glock level pricing.

I wonder why the CZ mags are so expensive.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”