Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

zobmiedown

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Thanks to Chimp posting this a couple of pages back I am now the proud owner of a brand new M249 SAW.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. But I know the pics or it didn't happen rule. Yep that's n ACOG on top and now off to enjoy some beer whle I link up ammo belts for it.

Better pics to follow when I get a chance. I also picked up three stripped Anderson lowers while I was in town today from the only shop around that has any left right now in case next week does not go well for the second amendment as I plan to build more AR-15's after the first of the year so having them locked up in the safe now does not harm.
Regulators mount up.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:24 pm

That's awesome zombiedown.

I'd like a belt-fed some day, but honestly I want Netflix and Audible more so it's probably not going to happen.

Actually, maybe one of those fully-automatic belt-fed .22 airguns would scratch the itch and still be economical to shoot. :clownshoes:

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:49 pm

I got lucky and found out I was due a large sum of money at about the same time as Chimp posted the link of it being for sale. The check cleared my account Monday night so first thing Tuesday morning I jumped online and ordered it. Since it was already in AZ and was shipped yesterday moring it was at one of local shops before noon today.
Regulators mount up.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:05 pm

Looking for a 10.5" upper (or even a barrel) with a 6" barrel shroud (16" or 16.5" overall) that is can friendly. Anyone seen one? Hopefully at a price that does scream "sodomize me".
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:21 pm

zobmiedown wrote:Thanks to Chimp posting this a couple of pages back I am now the proud owner of a brand new M249 SAW.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. But I know the pics or it didn't happen rule. Yep that's n ACOG on top and now off to enjoy some beer whle I link up ammo belts for it.

Better pics to follow when I get a chance. I also picked up three stripped Anderson lowers while I was in town today from the only shop around that has any left right now in case next week does not go well for the second amendment as I plan to build more AR-15's after the first of the year so having them locked up in the safe now does not harm.
That is awesome, zobmiedown. I'm glad you were able to get it. :clap:

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks Chimp. I spent all night last night watching the Cubs win while having a couple of beers and linking up ammo belts for it. I now have 9 belts linked up of 205 rounds each and one belt of 100 rounds.
Regulators mount up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:43 am

zobmiedown wrote:Thanks Chimp. I spent all night last night watching the Cubs win while having a couple of beers and linking up ammo belts for it. I now have 9 belts linked up of 205 rounds each and one belt of 100 rounds.
Yeah, I heard about the Cubs finally winning a World Series after 108 years. Thought that was pretty cool.

Speaking of ammo, I need to go pick up some more 9mm for my P89. I've only about 100 rounds for it.

Probably wouldn't hurt to go pick up another hundred or so for all my other guns as well.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:00 am

More ammo is always a good choice especially right now in our times of uncertainty.

As Promised better pics that the crappy cell phone one from yesterday.

Regulators mount up.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:29 am

ME WANTY!!!

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:52 am

I'm going to guess that is one of those semi auto FN SAWs right? I am mad jelly.

So getting RPK74 furniture to fit on a RPK in 7.62 is proving to be a bitch. Damn Russians and their bulky wood and simple engineering. Motoring the buttstock into the ground and hammering it with a mallet is helping but I've got it stick in there with 3/4ths of an inch to go. Should I hammer it back out and file the stock material down a bit? Its the Plum Polymer clubfoot stock.

Also what is the best way to remove a sling swivel on an AR FSB?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:54 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
zobmiedown wrote:Thanks Chimp. I spent all night last night watching the Cubs win while having a couple of beers and linking up ammo belts for it. I now have 9 belts linked up of 205 rounds each and one belt of 100 rounds.
Yeah, I heard about the Cubs finally winning a World Series after 108 years. Thought that was pretty cool.

Speaking of ammo, I need to go pick up some more 9mm for my P89. I've only about 100 rounds for it.

Probably wouldn't hurt to go pick up another hundred or so for all my other guns as well.
If you ever sell that P89 chimp, I call dibs :twisted:
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Numbers you are correct its the Semi auto only version but hey I'm not going to jail for having it and a 200 round belt dump is still fun as F#@k. The kids are already begging to shoot it this weekend.
Regulators mount up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:53 pm

0122358 wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

If you ever sell that P89 chimp, I call dibs :twisted:
You're first on the list, Numbers. :lol:

I've been considering picking up one of those Ruger American pistols in 9mm or possibly a CZ P09 in 9mm and then possibly selling my P89.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Stercutus wrote:Looking for a 10.5" upper (or even a barrel) with a 6" barrel shroud (16" or 16.5" overall) that is can friendly. Anyone seen one? Hopefully at a price that does scream "sodomize me".
I don't know the logistics, but maybe consider a Canadian manufacturer? Either North Eastern Arms (NEA) or S&J Hardware are reputable companies that are established enough to have infrastructure in place to ship state side. And with the Canadian Dollar at 0.80USD 20% SALE ON EVERYTHING ...
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:20 pm

They don't have.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:24 pm

My new stock is sitting in Anchorage. Curse you "Second Day" air, why do you get my hopes up that it will take less than a week?

(To be fair it is pretty unreasonable to expect UPS to get all the way out here within a few days.)

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:54 pm

Bad news: my Sig p226 I got and was happy with turns out has a cracked slide - last time I buy 2nd hand on Gunbroker without being able to inspect. It was intended for a range fun but this is a bummer for me :( Live and learn.

Good news: The smith that noticed and still installed the night sights sells his own reman ammo for local PD and also regular joes like me + get a discount by providing brass and he was a nice guy so picking up 1000rnds .223 for $.30 next week sometime.

Gunshow mark two - was having a look around, want a Keltec sub in 9mm but only found ones in .40 (whyyyyyy) Was tempted by a Bersa .380 for $250 as a pocket gun but forcing myself to wait until get my CCW. Tempted by a lever gun and an Enfield but yeh nothing that really interested me. Good for wallet, just got ammo and a much needed rifle bag.
Man is a beast of prey

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:48 pm

I've decided to go ahead and sell my like-new Leupold DeltaPoint. It's pretty much just sat in the box, and I've only taken it out to make sure it turns on and put it on top of my handgun to see how well that works with my headlamp.
*Edit: Like I just balanced it on top of the handgun, I didn't mount it or fire any rounds.

I'm trying to figure out what a fair price for it would be. This is the older model, not the new DeltaPoint Pro, so there aren't that many for sale to use as examples. The ones that I do see for sale are going for like $500, even the used but like-new ones. :shock:

That seems a little high, but if that's the price people want to pay. On the other hand, maybe those are the only ones still out there because nobody is willing to pay that much. IIRC MSRP was a little over $500 when the older DeltaPoints were still being sold, but they usually went for less than MSRP obviously.
the_alias wrote:Bad news: my Sig p226 I got and was happy with turns out has a cracked slide - last time I buy 2nd hand on Gunbroker without being able to inspect. It was intended for a range fun but this is a bummer for me :( Live and learn.
That sucks, man. Is it easy to find aftermarket slides for Sigs like it is for Glocks?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:59 pm

Anyone have experience with 22mods4all?? Right now Palmetto is out of stock on all cool uppers so I might order an Upper from 22mods4all. They are all over Slickguns and seem to use decent manufacturers like Anderson and Aero.

I can get a pretty sick upper for around $350 or so. I think I'm gonna stick with 5.56. And I'd like to get it before Tuesday toa void all the panic buying that I am also doing myself (I'm such a hypocrite).
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:19 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:Anyone have experience with 22mods4all?? Right now Palmetto is out of stock on all cool uppers so I might order an Upper from 22mods4all. They are all over Slickguns and seem to use decent manufacturers like Anderson and Aero.

I can get a pretty sick upper for around $350 or so. I think I'm gonna stick with 5.56. And I'd like to get it before Tuesday toa void all the panic buying that I am also doing myself (I'm such a hypocrite).
A couple people on reddit had bad experiences with them, mis-shipped items or broken items.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:40 am

Took the M249 down the street last Saturday to zero the ACOG at 25m. Man does it shoot. Had about 5 groups of three shot that had all shot holes touching as I was walking the sight to the bulls eye. I really like the chevron aiming point in a big way. I had to talk the wife into shooting the weapon and she loved it once she fired it. The 5 yr old loved it as well with the stock in my should and me doing the aiming while he pulled the trigger over and over for ten rounds. Only put three USGI mags thru it and didn't even load one of the belts I had with me. Will shoot it more this weekend when my father in law get here and I have all three kids home and not wrapped up in other extracurricular activities. So bottom ling first impression is that it is quite the accurate shooter and as to be expected a whole lot of fun. Only down side is that twice it fired a two round burst. Not sure if that was ammo related as in soft primers so when the bolt slammed forward it touched off the primers or simply that the recoil springs are still so tight that it slammed the bolt home harder than it should or a combo of both. Since I was only shooting three shot groups with slow and deliberate fire I know it was not the classic overheated chamber cooking off that can cause a run away gun.

On a different not I got a Magpul Gen 3 PMAG D60 delivered yesterday. First impression is it was a little difficult to load initially until I got used to it but I really like it. Now to test it at the range.
Regulators mount up.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:Anyone have experience with 22mods4all?? Right now Palmetto is out of stock on all cool uppers so I might order an Upper from 22mods4all. They are all over Slickguns and seem to use decent manufacturers like Anderson and Aero.

A couple people on reddit had bad experiences with them, mis-shipped items or broken items.
I actually probably read a few of those threads and decided to wait a day and think about it. Lo and Behold, PSA got a few things back in stock as a deal.

So yet again, ended up with PSA. Thanks Dr. Fab!!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:17 pm

Finally after a week of filing, shaving, measuring, banging, and beating I got the surplus polymer plum furniture on my RPK. pics to follow, but it looks nice, feels great and definetly cut down on the weight while reducing the worry of my beating it up.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Ok. Confirmed zero on my deer rifle yesterday (WASR 10). My shooting was a bit off due to a bunch of reasons, but I should be able to ethically tag a deer from 70 yards on in. Probably can take a shot out to 120 yards if I have the time to really steady myself. Not a happy thing to say, but I"m rusty, and need to be honest.

Problem: While sighting things in I had a double-fire. I'm pretty sure it was a bump fire. I've been having these fairly frequently now. Almost always it seems to come from not tucking the stock into my shoulder tight and doing this thing where I don't release the trigger fully. I just kinda let the rifle rock back, let the trigger re-set, and then let my shoulder push the rifle forward till it fires again. It has almost always happened while prone or with the rifle on a rest.

So, question: Do I fix this? Do I shrug this off? If I fix it; how? Do I buy a new trigger? Do I retrain my finger? Retrain my body? Get better training?

Let me know what y'all think!

Thanks!!!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”