Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

quazi

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by quazi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:11 am

I didn't see a price, but if it isn't too expensive I can see it as something useful for someone who kind of wants a trunk gun but doesn't really want to leave a gun in their car.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:03 pm

I started sleeping on a couch where I could see the chickens, after the fox got two of our mature hens. I was hoping our dog would wake me up.

The first night I woke up to barking, but it was the neighbors dog. I looked in the direction of their house, and there was smoke all over the roof but it wasn't coming from the chimney. I threw on some pants and drove over there, but it turned out the smoke was from someone burning coal in a different house and the wind was blowing it straight at the roof of our neighbor's house. I drove back, and just as I pulled in the driveway the fox ran through the yard. I jumped out (with my j-frame again :oops: ) and went after it, but it was long gone.

The next night I woke up to barking again, but it still wasn't my dog and it sounded really weird. I looked out the window and the fox was there barking at our cat. I snuck around the side of the house, hoping to get the drop on it, but it took off running. I got one shot off at it with my shotgun, but it was 53 yards away which is pushing it for buckshot. It jinked to the left and disappeared into the weeds. I found some fur, but no blood and no other sign of the fox.

I should of grabbed a rifle on my way by. I was keeping the shotgun handy because if I heard an unidentified noise in the middle of the night I didn't want to end up running into a grizzly with my bolt-action .223.

The fox hasn't been back since. Maybe I just scared it so bad it decided to stay away, which is fine by me. Hopefully it didn't get injured and die slow.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:37 pm

quazi wrote:

The fox hasn't been back since. Maybe I just scared it so bad it decided to stay away, which is fine by me. Hopefully it didn't get injured and die slow.
Keep us posted. I'm rootin' for ya!!!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:30 pm

woodsghost wrote:
quazi wrote:

Keep us posted. I'm rootin' for ya!!!

I've been enjoying this saga. I kinda hope he returns for more action. Maybe move this to the Fiction thread and make it a zombie fox.... oh dear.... just thought of a good book idea
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:38 am

HA! There's a lady I'm my town that had been just gushing over these little foxes showing up to eat cat food with her cats and kittens. So she had been putting out extra food for them. I told her, "You know, those things are going to eat your cats at some point.". She gets semi offended and tells me how sweet they are and on and on,... I hear her drop a few more stories in the weeks to come about how great they are. Then sometime just before April, I'm in Lowes buying garden plants and I get a sharp tap on my shoulder. It was that same lady. She she said "My girlfriends and I were out drinking wine on my porch watching the g-d@mn foxes. Then a big fox came up and killed my cat and dragged it into the woods. What do I need to kill those fuckers?" This was absolute comedy riot 'cuz its was like the proverbial little old lady saying "fuck" over and over. I rode with her to the pawn shop and actually found her a stupid good deal on an only and pretty damn nice Winchester single shot shotgun ($65). I gave her a couple of boxes of light 12 ga loads that I had done for "suburban" pest control. It was weeks after that, I saw her in the the parking lot at Lowes again. She yells across the lot "I shot that damn fox!" She was too funny.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:47 pm

brothaman, that was quite neighborly. Good job!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:25 pm

Anyone else get the image of Ruth Gordon (Ma Boggs from Every Which Way But Loose) in their heads while reading Brothaman's story ? :lol:

I've got this image in my head of a little old lady sitting on her porch, shotgun in her lap, just waiting for the foxes to show up and then she unleashes hell upon them. Kind of reminds me of that scene with Ruth Gordon and the bikers in the aforementioned "Every Which Way But Loose" movie. :lol:

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:03 am

Good job, brothaman!

I actually need to find a single shot 12 gauge for similar purposes. Mostly as a fun project though.

I'm also trying to use this to justify buying a 1-4x or 1-6x scope for my AR. I've got a Vortex Spitfire 1x, so I don't really need it and should just save my money.
JeeperCreeper wrote:Maybe move this to the Fiction thread and make it a zombie fox.... oh dear.... just thought of a good book idea
Several weeks ago something pulled the head off of one of my chickens through the fence. Maybe it was a zombie fox that was after chicken brains?

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Actually think rich southern lady with white hair and a $200 outfit. She's from a family that been in the real estate business for decades. So when you imagine her speak put an eloquent and educated "su'thun" accent in your mind with all that foul language and wine drinkin'. Like that chick from Steel Magnolias, but cooler and with less bullshit.

@quazi - How's the Sptifire? I've been looking at those on the webs, but I haven't seen one in person.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:25 pm

brothaman wrote:Actually think rich southern lady with white hair and a $200 outfit. She's from a family that been in the real estate business for decades. So when you imagine her speak put an eloquent and educated "su'thun" accent in your mind with all that foul language and wine drinkin'. Like that chick from Steel Magnolias, but cooler and with less bullshit.

@quazi - How's the Sptifire? I've been looking at those on the webs, but I haven't seen one in person.
Is "Steel Magnolias" that movie with Julia Roberts and I think Shirley McClaine?

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:13 am

Yes. It is.
But I'm thinking Olympia Dukakis.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:11 am

I had just finished reading about Jimmy Page being on the witness stand last week in a case concerning a famous song and then I came over here and read your story.
Too funny. Excellent, Brothaman. I re-worded slightly.
There’s a lady in town with some cats and some foxes and she’s buying a Winchester shotgun…
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:31 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:I had just finished reading about Jimmy Page being on the witness stand last week in a case concerning a famous song and then I came over here and read your story.
Too funny. Excellent, Brothaman. I re-worded slightly.
There’s a lady in town with some cats and some foxes and she’s buying a Winchester shotgun…
That's clever.
You, sir, win an innarweb.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:54 pm

brothaman wrote:@quazi - How's the Sptifire? I've been looking at those on the webs, but I haven't seen one in person.
I've been waiting for the battery to die before doing a review, but it's been on almost continuously since December and still hasn't died yet. :clap:
(Now that I say that it will probably be dead by the time I get home.)

I got mine on sale for ~$150. For that price, I think it was definitely worth the money. For full price ($300?), I might look at either a traditional red dot or a variable power that goes down to 1x. I don't have much experience with either of those, so I'm really just guessing.

I'll try to remember to do a better review once I get home.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:40 pm

brothaman wrote:Yes. It is.
But I'm thinking Olympia Dukakis.
I always forget her name. Well, that and I always get her confused with Jessica Tandy.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:39 pm

quazi wrote:
brothaman wrote:@quazi - How's the Sptifire? I've been looking at those on the webs, but I haven't seen one in person.
I've been waiting for the battery to die before doing a review, but it's been on almost continuously since December and still hasn't died yet. :clap:

I got mine on sale for ~$150. For that price, I think it was definitely worth the money. For full price ($300?), I might look at either a traditional red dot or a variable power that goes down to 1x. I don't have much experience with either of those, so I'm really just guessing.

I've been wanting something 1x with an etched reticle. I want something simple. I hate that crazy Burris reticle. That Spitfire seems to be perfect for my needs.
So, just gut reaction, is the Spitfire good to go?

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:08 pm

brothaman wrote:I've been wanting something 1x with an etched reticle. I want something simple. I hate that crazy Burris reticle. That Spitfire seems to be perfect for my needs.
Yes.

ETA: I also don't like busy reticles. I really like the thick donut with the tiny center dot on the Spitfire 1x, it works well. I'm not sure about the thin outer ring. Is it supposed to be for range estimation? Is it supposed to help with wind or moving targets? I'd rather it not be there, but it doesn't bother me too much.

BDC reticles I'm really not a fan of, but that seems to be what everything is coming with these days. They probably make sense for in a military context, where there are going to be a lot of people with the exact same rifle and ammo combination, but in the civilian world where everyone is using different rifles and cartridges I don't see the purpose of a mass produced BDC reticle.

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:24 pm

brothaman wrote:
quazi wrote:

I've been wanting something 1x with an etched reticle. I want something simple. I hate that crazy Burris reticle. That Spitfire seems to be perfect for my needs.
I got a spitfire on a 9mm AR. Really like it cmpared to a red dot sight.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:12 am

I've got this Leupold DeltaPoint sitting in my closet. I got it when the Glock 40 was announced.

By the time the G40 was finally available I had decided that I was better off saving my money for the time being.

It's starting to annoy me that I've got this nice tiny red dot sitting around doing nothing, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

I could go ahead and get the Glock 40. My opinion on this option seems to very depending on how bad I want to quit my job at the moment.

I could get my Glock 29 milled for it. I'm tempted to do this, but I don't think I will because G29 slides don't seem to be commonly available and if I decide I don't like it I'm sort of stuck.

I could sell it, but it would bum me out if I sold it at a loss only to turn around and buy a different micro red dot in a couple years.

I could get my Colt Woodsman drilled and tapped for a mount. This would actually be a fairly useful setup, but I'm not sure I want to alter a semi-collectible like that.

I should probably just keep sitting on it.

Anyway, I guess I'm just whining.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:16 am

Try it out on your .300 H&H for speed shooting!
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:33 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Try it out on your .300 H&H for speed shooting!
LOL, I've actually been thinking about getting a red dot with flip-over magnifier for it, just like you suggested way back when. It seems like I always end up going with what you suggest in the end.

I think the biggest downside to the DeltaPoint is that you have to take it off to replace the battery. On a .375 H&H that means a lot of extra money and bruises.

My cousin told me the other day that my problem is I'm an incorrigible min/maxer when it comes to firearms. I think He's probably right. :lol: I just keep getting more hunting rifles for Christmas, and I want each one to have their place rather than becoming irrelevant.

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:06 pm

Evening chatizens. Didn't know if this was worth a dedicated thread, so I'll ask here. Moving back home to SE Idaho in a few weeks. Want to do some hunting, not a whole lot, a few casual trips at best. So I have a Ruger GSR lefty (yes I bought into the hype, but it's super comfy to shoot and I love it), in 308 of course. No optics as of yet. I know I'm not going to be dropping deer at long distances, but would this work well enough, or should I invest in a dedicated hunting rifle?
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:12 am

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Does Idaho have a magazine capacity limit, and if so is there a magazine available for the GSR that would meet that limit?

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:03 am

No restrictions, but the do make 3, 5, and 10 round magazines. Probably pick up a couple of the smaller ones so as to be a little more streamlined. The metal 10 round mag is bulky and noisy.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”