Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:40 pm

I'd you want the closed style, Bushnell TRS25 gets decent press, PA micro if you want something that will take a little more abuse.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:16 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Akin wrote:Damn, I like that barrel! What kind is it? Mine looks kinda silly with the front sight sticking up...
One of these.....

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/ba ... 31917.aspx

....with a pinned 3 prong FH, so it makes the 26" OAL.
Cool...

Is swapping barrels on a 10/22 much of a chore? Is it a gunsmith job?

I've also just realized what a pain in the ass it will be to properly clean this thing. Have to take it out of the stock to do a proper job...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Akin wrote:
Nah. You just need the appropriate size Allen wrench to remove the two bolts holding the barrel wedge, then just pull the barrel out of the receiver.....and don't torque the bolts back on too hard, or you can crack the wedge. :crazy:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Question for the Sig 1911 owners on ZS.

I bought a Sig 1911 mag today and I'm curious if these mags are designed solely for Sig built 1911s or if they're designed to fit in any standard 1911. Sorry for the potentially dumb question, by the way. I've never actually bought a magazine for my 1911 until today.

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:44 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Question for the Sig 1911 owners on ZS.

I bought a Sig 1911 mag today and I'm curious if these mags are designed solely for Sig built 1911s or if they're designed to fit in any standard 1911. Sorry for the potentially dumb question, by the way. I've never actually bought a magazine for my 1911 until today.
It should theoretically fit any 1911, but like some aftermarket 1911 magazines it may or may not function 100%

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks, Ausher.

I'll go to the range sometime this week or coming weekend and see if it functions 100%.

If it doesn't work in my gun, I'll try and trade it for another 1911 mag.

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:58 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Akin wrote:
Nah. You just need the appropriate size Allen wrench to remove the two bolts holding the barrel wedge, then just pull the barrel out of the receiver.....and don't torque the bolts back on too hard, or you can crack the wedge. :crazy:

Well, that certainly appears easy...

Do you have to bo anything to boresight it or anything afterwards?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:30 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Thanks, Ausher.

I'll go to the range sometime this week or coming weekend and see if it functions 100%.

If it doesn't work in my gun, I'll try and trade it for another 1911 mag.
1911's can be picky about magazines. My TRP liked the metalform mags and chip McCormick magazines.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:45 pm

Akin wrote:
Well, that certainly appears easy...

Do you have to bo anything to boresight it or anything afterwards?
It's a pretty simple affair. Just mount the new barrel and smoke test it.....erm....sight it in. When you bolt the barrel wedge back on, it's shape & the way it fits, should line the extractor up with the extractor groove on the right side of the barrel.

ETA: whenever you have the stock removed, lock the bolt back.....and that should put enough tension on those two pesky trigger group pins to keep them from falling out of the receiver.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:33 pm

Has anyone here ever built a bolt action?
I'm thinking about doing a 700, looks like it's doable, just curious if anyone here has done it before.
Anyone have experience with 700 clone receivers? Remington doesn't make ti receivers anymore, and I'm a bit of a titanium whore. I've seen a few 700 knock off receivers in ti, or receivers with a 700 footprint ... Still in the consideration phase, might jump on something in the next month.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Can anyone tell me what kind of bolt action .22LR rifle this is ?

I'm trading another .22 rifle for it and I'm needing info on it before I order parts for it (all it needs is a magazine tube assembly).

The guy I'm doing the trade with says it's a Marlin, but that's all he knows about it. It looks like a Marlin Model 81, but I'm not entirely sure.

ETA: That's not my photo, by the way. It's one the guy I'm trading with sent me.

ETA 2: Ok, so I got a phone call from the guy I'll be doing business with and he tells me that it's not a Marlin, but some model of Savage brand .22 rifle. Still kind of in the dark here, but I guess it helps a little.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:28 pm

Well, I got the rifle and it's a Savage made Revelation 115 (basically a store branded Model 46) not a Marlin as the guy originally thought. Still, it's a decent little gun. It just needs a couple parts to make it whole.

Now I need to hit Brownell's or Numrich to get a magazine tube assembly and a rear sight adjustment thing. Hopefully it shouldn't cost me more than 50 bucks to get it running again.

ETA: Well, I was wrong. Upon breaking down the rifle to check for damage and to clean it, I found a major problem. The trigger housing assembly has a big crack in it where someone used a pair of pliers to force the safety switch pin in. Now I get to buy a new trigger housing assembly and a new safety in addition to the magazine tube and rear sight.

It's probably going to cost me more than the rifle is worth to fix it, but it'll be worth it to have a safe rifle.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:46 am

Been waiting on Spinta but I just couldn't wait any longer. PSA had a 300BO upper for $250, 8.5" bbl with quad rail. Then stumbled upon this silent buffer spring thingy-majig I think that'll be going in the build.

Anyone have any thoughts on TiN BCG? They are damned expensive for what comes down to a coating. But requiring less lube is always a good thing :awesome:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:54 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'd you want the closed style, Bushnell TRS25 gets decent press, PA micro if you want something that will take a little more abuse.

Primary Arms micro? I've seen literally no press on them, and I'm in the market for an RDS. My top contender so far has been the TRS25, but I'll have to do some reading on them.
Last edited by Dogan on Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:57 am

Dogan wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'd you want the closed style, Bushnell TRS25 gets decent press, PA micro if you want something that will take a little more abuse.

Primary Arms micro? I've seen literally no press on them, and I'm in the market for an RDS. I'll have to do some reading on them.
I don't remember the model name, but it's their Aimpoint Micro clone. Folks been running then on AKs and shit for a long time.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:38 am

I am almost afraid to post this as I might just be jinxing myself.

Ya know how they say bad news happens in 3's, like Hollywood actors dying off or rock musicians also croak in 3's.

Years ago there was a clique of IDPA competitors who shot this one Saturday match all the time at this one club. I think somebody noticed how much better they placed at their home club. If they traveled to other clubs their results put them lower in the standings. It was rumored that they were setting up their match at their home club on Friday afternoon/evening and then shot it. Then when they showed up on Saturday morning they acted like they hadn't seen any of the stages before.

One of the guys went into the gun manufacturing business, and by all appearances was successful at it. Just very recently, they announced they were going out of business. There are people out there who bought thousands of dollars of products last year and they never delivered.

Anyway...I am sitting here with a little smirk, kinda glad to see karma finally catch up to some people.

And then there is the news of USPSA's executive director, Kim, no longer being employed by USPSA. About 2 years ago, it was revealed she embezzled like $140,000 from the organization. I think she was also using USPSA's company money to buy herself NFL tickets.

So, double my smirk.

It leaves me wondering what the third thing will be.

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:20 pm

The next time I decide to trade a gun, will someone here please smack me ?

Case in point, the Revelation 115 I traded for yesterday turned out to be more hassle than it was going to be worth, so I sold it off as a parts gun to a local dealer for 30 bucks. Yeah, I took a loss and traded away a better rifle, but I washed my hands of this one.

I've decided that if I want an older gun, I'm buying it from a dealer (preferably one with a gunsmith on site).

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Be careful who you train with:

If that doesn't work try this:

http://i.imgur.com/tJZgUpm.png

I'm tired of dealing with the pixel limit on this forum.

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:20 pm

I think the biggest question for me is why was the guy's friends truck on the firing line to begin with ?

Also, if it wasn't on the firing line, then what was Instructor Man doing with a hot weapon outside of the designated area ?

There's a lot of questions that are unanswered in regards to that review. I'm not defending Yeager by any means, but it seems to me that there's a lot of story not being told here.

Either way, I'm probably never going to take a class from Yeager anyway, but that's mostly because there's plenty of local guys out here that can teach me pretty much the same stuff Yeager does. And for a lot less money probably.
Last edited by 12_Gauge_Chimp on Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:24 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Dogan wrote:

Primary Arms micro? I've seen literally no press on them, and I'm in the market for an RDS. I'll have to do some reading on them.
I don't remember the model name, but it's their Aimpoint Micro clone. Folks been running then on AKs and shit for a long time.
There was a video out at some point where a guy beat up a PA micro pretty bad and it continued to work and hold zero. Just from my bad memory, he froze it, threw it at distance while attached to the rifle, shot it with bird shot at close range. He abused it as much as he could.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 pm

Dogan wrote:

Primary Arms micro? I've seen literally no press on them, and I'm in the market for an RDS. My top contender so far has been the TRS25, but I'll have to do some reading on them.
I put one on my daughter's rifle and it seems to hold zero pretty well... No real stress test though, just range time.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:31 pm

Who's ready for John Wick 2. :crazy:

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:40 pm

RickOShea wrote:Who's ready for John Wick 2. :crazy:

Good god this has been making waves hasn't it?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:43 pm

0122358 wrote: Good god this has been making waves hasn't it?
It was all over my facebook feed yesterday.... haha pretty impressive.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”