Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dogan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:So I jsut saw this three times on three different social media sites: http://gizmodo.com/this-clip-on-handgun ... 1730039256

Work with me under the assumption that this device is rigorously tested and shown not to cause or increase the rate of failure or pose any additional danger. Assume that the law evolves to understand that it's employed under the assumption of lethal force and treated as such, despite being intended to be less lethal, and assume that it's cheap enough that you can use a trainer version to learn the POA difference, if any. Would you use it? Why or why not?

Assuming, then, that the law evolved to protect those using LTLs in place of lethal force, would you consider other LTL alternatives as a "first strike" in HD or carry scenarios? Why or why not?
No, no and fuck no. Rigorous testing or not, no.
and the next repetition of the same action becomes lethal force.
This right here. Escalation is bad in the eyes of lawyers, mmmkay?

There's so much nope in my mind over that device it's actually kind of soothing, like a tidal wave of NOPES rolling serenely over the island of my mind, covering everything in NOPEs as far as the eye can see.

Things I'd rather have than that gimmick, in order of range:
Beanbag rounds for 12g
Taser
Pepper spray
Baton
SAP gloves (check your local laws)
Hard armor MX gloves

Things I'd rather have as a concealed carrier for LTL:
Taser
Pepper spray
Large metal flashlight
Hard armor MX gloves when situationally appropriate (ride bikes a lot, myself)

In other news, that moment when a friend of yours who wants to get into the ZS spirit, says basically "I'm going to go shopping to the tune of about $2k soon. What do you recommend for guns and a laptop?" I'm honored, and so, SO excited.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:48 pm

It's not escalation if it's all treated as lethal force.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:01 am

I would never spend the money to get one, but I love how the Bergmann 1896 No. 3 looks.

I think a lot of the early semi-automatic pistols look strange and ugly, but are somehow appealing at the same time.

nolongpork

Post by nolongpork » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:43 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I've seen the same thing on YouTube, Doc.

ETA: Anyone who uses one of those Hogue Hand-all rubber grips, how do you keep it from sliding off your weapon ?

I've got one on my 22/45 pistol and I have to keep readjusting it after handling my pistol. It's getting annoying and I'm almost tempted to just remove it.

If it is not stretched out already (and they do). I use the mountain bike grip install trick..... use hairspray as the lube to install the grip and it dries tacky on the inside of the grip.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:50 pm

nolongpork wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I've seen the same thing on YouTube, Doc.

ETA: Anyone who uses one of those Hogue Hand-all rubber grips, how do you keep it from sliding off your weapon ?

I've got one on my 22/45 pistol and I have to keep readjusting it after handling my pistol. It's getting annoying and I'm almost tempted to just remove it.

If it is not stretched out already (and they do). I use the mountain bike grip install trick..... use hairspray as the lube to install the grip and it dries tacky on the inside of the grip.
It's not stretched out as far as I can tell, but I'll try the hairspray trick to see if that helps.

Thanks, nolongpork.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:09 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Has anyone else here that runs a Glock noticed that some mags rattle a bit when loaded ?

I've got a pair of G21 mags I got from the local Cabela's and I noticed they rattle a bit when loaded. I checked some of my other mags purchased at other stores and none of them rattle, just the Cabela's mags.

I swapped the springs in one mag with an extra I had from when I bought a Kriss Super V mag kit and I noticed the mag still rattles, but not as much as before.

Did I get a bad pair of mags from Cabela's or is this a common occurrence with Glock mags ?

I have a few MecGar 20 round mags for the Beretta that will rattle.

Let's say like one mag gets 13 rounds in it, and it will rattle. Take one round out, it no longer rattles.

EDIT: they all run fine, too

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:03 pm

Thanks, Chills.

I was probably worried for nothing. I'm used to 1911 mags and Glock mags are still new to me so I wasn't sure if this was a normal issue or if I got a bad pair of mags.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:30 am

This blogger is alleging that he took a sample of FireClean and cirsco too a PHD Chemist and proved that they are basically the same thing. :clownshoes: I don't use the stuff but since Larry Vickers endorses it, might be worthwhile to pass along to others.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:38 am

Bearcat wrote:This blogger is alleging that he took a sample of FireClean and cirsco too a PHD Chemist and proved that they are basically the same thing. :clownshoes: I don't use the stuff but since Larry Vickers endorses it, might be worthwhile to pass along to others.
Did he post an actual lab report? Lab reports on the actual contents of more lubricants and firearms cleaners would be very interesting to see.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:48 am

KGBrick wrote:
Bearcat wrote:This blogger is alleging that he took a sample of FireClean and cirsco too a PHD Chemist and proved that they are basically the same thing. :clownshoes: I don't use the stuff but since Larry Vickers endorses it, might be worthwhile to pass along to others.
Did he post an actual lab report? Lab reports on the actual contents of more lubricants and firearms cleaners would be very interesting to see.
http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/general-op ... an-crisco/

IR spectroscopy was all. It showed that they weren't the same, and the actual author's words were "FireClean is probably a modern unsaturated vegetable oil virtually the same as many oils used for cooking." Essentially it's the same as saying that Castrol and Mobil are both petroleum-based lubricants so they're basically the same thing. Fireclean and, if I had to hazard a guess, Froglube are both vegetable-oil-based lubricants refined so as not to go rancid like lard or canola oil.

TL:DR nonstory. Don't expect lubricants designed to biodegrade to perform the same as toxic, carcinogenic petroleum and/or silicon-based lubricants.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:49 am

KGBrick wrote:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015 ... is-crisco/

I prefer lube that doesn't smoke at that temp, but whatevs.

/eta
I think most of the stink being raised is about $15/oz for what is essentially cooking oil Doc. Good marketing + customers who want the latest and greatest = easy money I guess. I have no dog in this.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Sure, I can dig that. I prefer Froglube for the oppressive Grizzly Wintermint smell, and it's a quarter the cost. Makes me want to try a range day with just canola oil. Probably on the AK, in case stuff catches on fire.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:13 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Sure, I can dig that. I prefer Froglube for the oppressive Grizzly Wintermint smell, and it's a quarter the cost. Makes me want to try a range day with just canola oil. Probably on the AK, in case stuff catches on fire.

:lol:
I like the smell of the g36 or whatever that bcm paints on their uppers.

This also brings out the chef in me
Scroll down to see some smoke points.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cook ... atter.html

corn, peanut or safflower would be a better option. I use peanut oil at home.
Serious mag dumps will probably bring out some good smoke. Coating the outside of the end of the barrel and firing till you are out of ammo might be a fun project.

Not sure how Vickers thinks that more smoke means less residue on the firearm, but I'm no more of a scientist than he is :mrgreen:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Got to shoot my new guns for the first time today.

*Zeroed in my Aimpoint on my BCM finally. Took WAY more rounds than needed and 40 clicks of upward adjustment to get it spot on. Still need to confirm at 300.

*RPK from Century after some adjustment of the front sight was decently accurate. I'll go up again with more ammo and do a bench test but it hit the paper at 25 meters so my canted sight issue doesn't seem to be a problem much at all as a I can tell. No recoil though which is nice. I'm trying to imagine a Battlecomp or PWS brake on there. :lol: :D

*My MK25 from Sig shoots consistently to the left and a bit low or high depending on the shooter. Both my dad and I aiming at 25-30 yards would aim center mass and hit the left shoulder or above. But damn does she shoot nice. Although I was able to arc rounds into a rock face at 150 meters for the hell of it.

Edit: Chimpov, as for Glock rattle. My G19 and Sig mags both do it. Slap the back or replace a round and it should settle. If its missing a round from capacity it will do it as well.

Edit: As for gun lube, I've followed this fallout for a day or so. I use Slip-2000 for my guns, wanted to try fire clean but never bought it.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Maybe I should patent deer urine scented canola oil before someone else does.

I could diversify into blackberry scented oil for the brassier bear hunters out there. 8-)

----------------

I wonder what it would take for gun lube manufacturers to quit BSing the way they do? Test everything? Demand standardized testing for high/low/med temp lubricity, wicking, smoke point, and stuffIcan'tthinkofnow?
Last edited by KGBrick on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:19 pm

It has been entertaining watching this whole FireClean-Crisco thing unfold.

Guns are icky!

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:52 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
KGBrick wrote:
http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/general-op ... an-crisco/

IR spectroscopy was all. It showed that they weren't the same, and the actual author's words were "FireClean is probably a modern unsaturated vegetable oil virtually the same as many oils used for cooking." Essentially it's the same as saying that Castrol and Mobil are both petroleum-based lubricants so they're basically the same thing. Fireclean and, if I had to hazard a guess, Froglube are both vegetable-oil-based lubricants refined so as not to go rancid like lard or canola oil.

TL:DR nonstory. Don't expect lubricants designed to biodegrade to perform the same as toxic, carcinogenic petroleum and/or silicon-based lubricants.
My bad, thought I linked it.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:15 pm

Well, I tried the hairspray trick on the Hogue rubber grip I've got on my 22/45 pistol and so far it's working pretty well.

All else fails, I just take it off and remember that the gun is not going to be as wide as my Glocks in regards to the grip area.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:27 am

Hey, if you want to try vegi oil why not try avocado oil, much higher smoke point 500 or so deg. But I believe it'll get pretty rancid, if you heat it up and cool it (most any vegi oil will though).

Not sure if its always been this way, or if I'm just shooting a little better and am starting to notice it. But I've noticed my XDM starting to shoot to the left. At around 15yds I was hitting about 4 inches to the left. Is there any way to move sights, I don't see any... but I could just be an idiot.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:30 pm

Halfapint wrote:Hey, if you want to try vegi oil why not try avocado oil, much higher smoke point 500 or so deg. But I believe it'll get pretty rancid, if you heat it up and cool it (most any vegi oil will though).

Not sure if its always been this way, or if I'm just shooting a little better and am starting to notice it. But I've noticed my XDM starting to shoot to the left. At around 15yds I was hitting about 4 inches to the left. Is there any way to move sights, I don't see any... but I could just be an idiot.
It looks like a dovetail, so standard love-tapping should work. If you're uncomfortable with hitting your sights, it looks like there are jigs available, either ready made or you can make one from square stock and a few bolts.

The big question is, does it shoot left for everyone, or just you?

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Any advice on how to get paint off a standard adjustable AR stock? Got one for free but it's camo, want to take it to black and wondering if I should try and strip it or paint it black.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Dogan wrote:Any advice on how to get paint off a standard adjustable AR stock? Got one for free but it's camo, want to take it to black and wondering if I should try and strip it or paint it black.
If it's regular old spray paint, wouldn't standard paint thinner work to get it off the stock ?

Speaking of AR's, I'm going to be buying a stripped lower in the near future. The local hardware store has some for about 70 bucks (no clue as to who the maker is, but I think they're either Spikes or Anderson lowers) and I've got some spare cash from selling some excess gun parts.

So, with that said, I need recommendations for good lower parts kits and advice for a first time AR builder.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:11 pm

I used a PSA classic LPK for mine. Everything worked great.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Beowolf wrote:I used a PSA classic LPK for mine. Everything worked great.
I was thinking of either one of those or a CMMG kit from Cheaper than Dirt since they're local (well, not exactly local, but they're in the same state as I am.)

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”