Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Halfapint wrote:Hey guys, anyone have experience with a savage 10T? Just picked one up. I've been told that they are great right out of the box, but it you replace the stock you got the equivilant to some much more expensive guns. It's got the threaded bbl as well so does anyone have a good muzzle brake that won't break my bank?

First impressions are this thing is awesome! I shot about 30rds though it and my shoulder wasn't sore at all, it's bolt was a touch sticky but I bet that's just cuz it's brand new and needs to be worked a little.
Solid guns. Boyds stocks are great, Manners, et al.

You after a brake-brake, or a flash hider, or what?

Brake-brake, DPMS has the Miculek brake. Suppressors work pretty well too...

Flash hiders, the standard birdcage works. Or a quickmount for your can if applicable.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:53 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Halfapint wrote:Hey guys, anyone have experience with a savage 10T? Just picked one up. I've been told that they are great right out of the box, but it you replace the stock you got the equivilant to some much more expensive guns. It's got the threaded bbl as well so does anyone have a good muzzle brake that won't break my bank?

First impressions are this thing is awesome! I shot about 30rds though it and my shoulder wasn't sore at all, it's bolt was a touch sticky but I bet that's just cuz it's brand new and needs to be worked a little.

Flash hiders, the standard birdcage works. Or a quickmount for your can if applicable.

Ok good I was on the right track, I was looking at a Boyd, and yes a brake brake haha didn't think about te General use of the term. I was looking at a can but found that there's only one really good maker of cans for precision rifles and they are a tad (read very) expensive. So the can is a long long way away.

Thanks for the ideas.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:09 pm

Magpul 10/22 stock looks kewl. $20 to the first person to chop it for a takedown. The 700 stock has been scream requested for a while too. Prices seem reasonable to me
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Ok good I was on the right track, I was looking at a Boyd, and yes a brake brake haha didn't think about te General use of the term. I was looking at a can but found that there's only one really good maker of cans for precision rifles and they are a tad (read very) expensive. So the can is a long long way away.

Thanks for the ideas.
Silencerco and Griffin, Dead Air, and a few others come to mind for precision thread-on cans. They'll cost about a grand factoring in the stamp, more if you want something that will handle magnums or you're planning on shooting matches with it. I'd poke around the various B/S/T groups here, any other forums or local groups, and see what's there for brakes. There's always That Guy who has a box full of doodads he doesn't need.
TheLastOne wrote:Magpul 10/22 stock looks kewl. $20 to the first person to chop it for a takedown. The 700 stock has been scream requested for a while too. Prices seem reasonable to me
That MagPul 10/22 stock looks good. Tempting. Eventually I want to replace the stock on my integral unit, so anything with a bull-barrel will work. I've toyed with the idea of selling my Savage rimfire and getting a Ruger American Rimfire to replace it, since they'll share 10/22 mags and I have several. If I can find stocks for both that i like, this might have to happen. Hear me MagPul? Get on that shit.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:39 pm

I might go around town this weekend and try to find a decent deal on a used single-shot shotgun. I want one that's blued with a wood stock.

I've read that the 20 ga. are actually heavier than the 12 ga., do you guys know if this is the case? It would make sense if they used the same sized receiver and just used more metal to fill in the extra space created by using a smaller shell.

I'm going to cut the barrel down to 18.5" and maybe cut the stock shorter (while maintaining a legal OAL). I feel kind of bad since they are no longer making the H&R/NEF single-shots, but I figure they made enough of them that it's not really sacrilege. If I get lucky maybe I'll find one with a bulge closer to the end of the barrel and can talk them down on price.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:04 pm

The smaller calibers tend to be if the manufacturer used the same receiver and barrel blanks.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:The smaller calibers tend to be if the manufacturer used the same receiver and barrel blanks.
It seems likely that they would for 12/20 ga.

I don't want to go down to .410, from a practical standpoint a 28 ga. might actually be a good choice if it is light enough. That would require reloading though.

From an impractical standpoint (and this is mainly something I want, not something I really need) I'd be tempted to go with a 3.5" 12 ga. or a 10 ga. if I could find one, but IIRC they build those on their heavy-duty rifle receivers.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:16 am

A single H&R Shotty is pretty light anyway in 12 or 20 ga. I've got a both in a H&R and either are light enough to carry for days. There is a shotgun and an rifle receiver. The rifle is heavier. I'd go with the 12. 20 kicks almost as much as a 12. In bird shot, the 20 might kick less... I can't tell a difference between 12 and 20 turkey loads and buckshot as far as recoil goes. Especially in the H&R. It don't soak up much recoil.

I've always kinda sorta wanted to do a 18.5 inch polychoke single. Just can't justify the cash to do it.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:48 am

Couple of quick CCW questions:

-What's a good IWB mag holder? I carry an M&P45c, double stack mags.

-I recently switched from carrying at the 3 o'clock to more of a 4/5. It just conceals better with my gun/holster combo, but what are some of the disadvantages/advantages of position like that? It seems pretty comfy to me, just wanted to see what other people thought.
Last edited by Shiloh on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:40 pm

brothaman wrote:A single H&R Shotty is pretty light anyway in 12 or 20 ga. I've got a both in a H&R and either are light enough to carry for days. There is a shotgun and an rifle receiver. The rifle is heavier. I'd go with the 12. 20 kicks almost as much as a 12. In bird shot, the 20 might kick less... I can't tell a difference between 12 and 20 turkey loads and buckshot as far as recoil goes. Especially in the H&R. It don't soak up much recoil.

I've always kinda sorta wanted to do a 18.5 inch polychoke single. Just can't justify the cash to do it.
Yeah, I'll probably get a 12 gauge. Recoil will be nasty, but I can always shoot the Aguila mini shells if I want to shoot a lot.

We used to have a single shot 12 with a barrel cut down to 18". We inherited it from a friend of the family after he passed away. It was a really fun little shotgun, even though it kicked like a bastard. I broke it through stupidity by dry firing it too much. I should have known better considering it was really old. I can't find any manufacturer markings on it to order a replacement firing pin.

I want it to be really small and lightweight. I also think it would be funny if I could load it up with something ridiculously overpowered (hence 10 ga. or 3.5" 12 ga.) but not at the cost of making it significantly heavier.

I've hunted grouse with an 18" shotgun and it works well enough, but we can legally hunt them with .22 lr where I live which is usually a better option. Since it's mainly going to be for fun, it's cheap and it can break down really small it will probably end up being a trunk gun now that I'm buying a car.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:48 pm

I want to get my Savage threaded, or maybe a tunable choke.

The upside to a 20ga on a beefy receiver is that it recoils less.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:43 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
brothaman wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Anyone know a good way to mount a decent light on a Marlin Leverblatt?
If you wanna drop a hunerd-fawty bone, Grizzly Customs is your huckleberry...
140 bucks for that ?

I get that Grizzly makes some great stuff, but I'm not seeing how that'd cost 140 bucks.

I wonder if someone with access to a lathe or something could whip up a homebrew version of that for less money ?
You either know a lot more about lathes than I do, or even less than I do. Because I don't see how to make something like that on a lathe. (The "or something," though, could work. Like a rock or something.) :lol:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Jeriah wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
140 bucks for that ?

I get that Grizzly makes some great stuff, but I'm not seeing how that'd cost 140 bucks.

I wonder if someone with access to a lathe or something could whip up a homebrew version of that for less money ?
You either know a lot more about lathes than I do, or even less than I do. Because I don't see how to make something like that on a lathe. (The "or something," though, could work. Like a rock or something.) :lol:
The pic rail is easy enough, you can find all manner of basic ones to drill and tap. The slightly harder part is getting the bits that conform to the barrel and mag tube. And getting it all made with high-enough quality materials that it doesn't strip out afetr the second reload.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:02 pm

I think I meant a milling machine (I think that's what it's called), Jeriah. :lol:

You can tell I've never been in a machine shop or metal working shop ever, huh ? :oops:

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Jeriah wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
brothaman wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Anyone know a good way to mount a decent light on a Marlin Leverblatt?
If you wanna drop a hunerd-fawty bone, Grizzly Customs is your huckleberry...
140 bucks for that ?

Actually... I know a little bit about lathes. Let me give this a shot.

You start with a blank, slice it oval, grind it smooth,(Don't do that, it'd muck with your counterweighting.) then mount it in a counterweighted eccentric mount which positions the hollow for the barrel over the axis. Spin it with a facing (?) bit to make the hollow, not full depth.

Now take the blank with a hollow, mount it on a second counterweighted eccentric mount which positions the hollow for the mag over the axis. Weights will be different owing for the existing hollow. Repeat.

Take the double hollow oval. Slice off the section which faced the mount on the lathe, giving you two holes in a solid piece of metal. Slice down the center to give you two sections with half-cylinders removed, flat spot in the middle. Tap both halves for clamping rods. Tap the left piece for pic rail.

Polish and parkerize, mount pic rail.

Eccentric mounts were used to do some cool shit with wood bowls a few decades ago, not sure if the same basic idea would work for metal, but it holds to logic that it should.

Or just punch everything into a CNC mill and let the magic happen. :crazy:

Ninja edit: With a drill press and correct bits, you might be able to bore out the mag and barrel holes from the oval blank, then slice, finish, mount the pic rail.

Related, if I ever win the lottery I'm going to have someone design me an inverted lever action. Mag on top, barrel on the bottom. Cause it's nevah been done befo! It'd be a game changer! (Remembers the Rhino and backs out.)
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:10 am

goes to look at St. Louis Craig's List for Bridgeport mills....

sigh...one of these days...

anyway...back to my stream of consciousness like, blurt out posts in this thread.... :D ...one of these days will get around to cutting some 2X4's down and milling matching dovetails in them. they will be like a 2X2 then. my idea being that these will be target sticks for when I go to the range. carrying 6 foot long furring strips in my "SUV" all the time kinda sucks, and they are always getting in the way.

so the dovetailed pieces will basically telescope, one piece will slide inside the other piece. I could have a total of 4 pieces, each 4 foot long, that could slide out and make a target stand/stick 7 feet tall.

Of course, that means I will have to change the pockets on my target stands:

The one range I am a member of wants me to have furring strips so tall so that my target can get stapled up really high, so that the bullets will strike the back berm. They are afraid of a bullet glancing off the range "floor" and then skipping out over the back berm into suburbia. That range has just like one big bay with like 20 shooting positions, with the range all the way out to 200 yards. So it is not like I can move forward of the firing line and place my targets within like 3 feet of back berm, with me standing like 20 feet from the back berm. If all that makes sense.

Guns are icky!

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:57 pm

Shiloh wrote:Couple of quick CCW questions:

-What's a good IWB mag holder? I carry an M&P45c, double stack mags.

-I recently switched from carrying at the 3 o'clock to more of a 4/5. It just conceals better with my gun/holster combo, but what are some of the disadvantages/advantages of position like that? It seems pretty comfy to me, just wanted to see what other people thought.
Something similar: Recommendations on a small, easy to access but secure safe for a handgun? It doesn't need to be nuke-proof, plus it's going to be hidden inside a dresser.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:15 pm

I'm kind of considering making a list of gun shops to never visit due to horrible service, general asshattery and rude people.

Anyone care to help me out ? I know of a couple places in my AO to avoid, but that's about it.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:30 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I'm kind of considering making a list of gun shops to never visit due to horrible service, general asshattery and rude people.

Anyone care to help me out ? I know of a couple places in my AO to avoid, but that's about it.
A gunshop review site/service like Yelp would be awesomesauce.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:03 pm

Dogan wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I'm kind of considering making a list of gun shops to never visit due to horrible service, general asshattery and rude people.

A gunshop review site/service like Yelp would be awesomesauce.
That's what I was thinking, Dogan.

Which is why I'd like to get a list going of shops to avoid and ones to give your money to.

You want to help me out with this ?

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:44 pm

This one guy I used to carpool to matches with would keep writing these reviews on this one local gun store/indoor range. The reviews would stick around for a while, and the POOF! They would disappear. So my buddy emailed that website... might have been yelp...I can't remember...and they replied back that basically the store pays or paid to have the negative reviews removed.

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Did anyone here score some cheaper AR's via Walmart's clearance this past week?

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:06 pm

chills1994 wrote:Did anyone here score some cheaper AR's via Walmart's clearance this past week?
Nope. No clearance ARS in my local Walmarts.

There was a bunch of accessories on clearance, though. Almost bought a Nebo barrel clamp for my 870 for 11 bucks, but decided I didn't need it.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:01 am

Go back to your local Walmart(s) and have the manager or sporting goods person take their laser scanner gun and actually scan the bar code.

Then ask them what price it shows.

A dude in AR15.com scored two magpul equipped Colt 6920's for $500 each.

I was able to score one plain jane 6920 a couple of Fridays ago for $750 out the door.

Then I went to another Walmart and they had a 6940 that I should have pounced on:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... ki77v5.jpg

(The forum software doesn't like the size of that pic)

Guns are icky!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”