Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Locked
User avatar
chills1994
* * * * *
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:25 am
Location: metro east of St. Louis

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by chills1994 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Mav, do you know who makes that mag well/mag chute?

I had the Techwell mag well and proprietary aluminum grips on one gun:

Image

Since I have not competed in a few years, it is just too honking big.
_______________________________________

Guns are icky!

User avatar
Maverick299
* * * * *
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:20 am
Location: Hawkeye State

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:33 am

chills1994 wrote:Mav, do you know who makes that mag well/mag chute?

I had the Techwell mag well and proprietary aluminum grips on one gun:

Image

Since I have not competed in a few years, it is just too honking big.
It's been so long since I ordered parts I don't honestly remember if it's an Ed Brown or a EGW (Evolution Gun Works). They both make a magwell very similar.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9411
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:19 am

Maverick299 wrote:
chills1994 wrote:Mav, do you know who makes that mag well/mag chute?

I had the Techwell mag well and proprietary aluminum grips on one gun:

Since I have not competed in a few years, it is just too honking big.
It's been so long since I ordered parts I don't honestly remember if it's an Ed Brown or a EGW (Evolution Gun Works). They both make a magwell very similar.
Nighthawk also makes a 2 piece mainspring housing.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Bearcat » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:53 am

Has anyone seen or played with one of these yet? How does it stack up to the KSG and UTAS15?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVYC9xq07I
Last edited by Bearcat on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7437
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:55 pm

I've yet to see one of the DP12 shotguns in the wild in my AO, Bearcat.

It looks interesting, to be honest.

KnifeStyle
* * *
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by KnifeStyle » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:17 pm

My carbine class group now wants to do a Combat Shotgun day. I've never fired one in my life, may borrow a friend's clay gun and roll with it. I'm in an area with no clay or skeet and I'm not a hunter, I will not allow myself to be that guy with the 870 in the safe for no reason whatsoever.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4938
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dogan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Bearcat wrote:Has anyone seen or played with one of these yet? How does stack up to the KSG and UTAS15?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVYC9xq07I
:ooh: :ooh: :ooh:
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
quazi
* * * * *
Posts: 4584
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:51 am
Location: AK

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by quazi » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:36 pm

Maverick299 wrote:I also like uncommon and rare things. I must have been a hipster in a previous life or something.
My brother refuses to own an AR or a 9mm Glock, because in his mind that's what all the assholes own. I've taken to calling him a gun hipster.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7437
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Out of sheer boredom and the fact I've been wanting to try this for awhile, last night I tried to stuff my AK into an old REI pack I've been using as luggage. I folded the Zhukov stock and I managed to fit my AK into the pack with zero problems. After about ten minutes of laughing, I realized I could've been using that pack this whole time to discreetly carry my AK.

I had a 'gray man' gun case this whole time and it took me until last night to realize it. :lol:

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dave_M » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:51 am

Spent the evening taking an X300 off of a pistol. Much cursing involved, and a little bit of blood. Woooooooo
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7437
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Dave_M wrote:Spent the evening taking an X300 off of a pistol. Much cursing involved, and a little bit of blood. Woooooooo
How tight was the light on the gun, Dave ?

You didn't Loc-Tite it on there, did you ?

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dave_M » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:46 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Dave_M wrote:Spent the evening taking an X300 off of a pistol. Much cursing involved, and a little bit of blood. Woooooooo
How tight was the light on the gun, Dave ?

You didn't Loc-Tite it on there, did you ?
Standard Surefire latch--I don't know where I would loctite if I wanted to. I removed the spacer on the back to give myself more room and ended up wedging it off.
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7437
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Dave_M wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Dave_M wrote:Spent the evening taking an X300 off of a pistol. Much cursing involved, and a little bit of blood. Woooooooo
How tight was the light on the gun, Dave ?

You didn't Loc-Tite it on there, did you ?
Standard Surefire latch--I don't know where I would loctite if I wanted to. I removed the spacer on the back to give myself more room and ended up wedging it off.
Now I'm glad I went with the Streamlight TLR-1s instead of the Surefire.

Easy to install and even easier to remove.

That and it was about 150 bucks cheaper (Cabela's retail store) than the Surefire light.

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4938
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dogan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:56 pm

So where are the best deals on SKS's these days?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dave_M » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:28 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Dave_M wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Dave_M wrote:Spent the evening taking an X300 off of a pistol. Much cursing involved, and a little bit of blood. Woooooooo
How tight was the light on the gun, Dave ?

You didn't Loc-Tite it on there, did you ?
Standard Surefire latch--I don't know where I would loctite if I wanted to. I removed the spacer on the back to give myself more room and ended up wedging it off.
Now I'm glad I went with the Streamlight TLR-1s instead of the Surefire.

Easy to install and even easier to remove.

That and it was about 150 bucks cheaper (Cabela's retail store) than the Surefire light.
The only reason it was a real issue is because said handgun has a standard pic rail on it. Pretty well known for people to take them on and off with a rubber mallet :rofl: At least you know it ain't coming off

After it was off, a quick adjustment and we're good to go.
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
brothaman
* * * * *
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: SC

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by brothaman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:20 am

Dogan wrote:So where are the best deals on SKS's these days?
OT: Probably Classicfirearms.com SKSs runs 300 when they get them. $269 on sale. When the hit the sale, they go super fast. If you want a SKS, Classic is hard to beat. Maybe Aimsurplus too, but I don't' cruise that site much.

Not OT: Last year I picked up a ChiCom SKS from a friend. It was totally not the joy the I remember it to be from my teenage years. It kinda sucked. IMO the best deal in rifles that shoot 7.62x39 is PSA's AR-47. $350 for an upper and BCG. run it on whatever lower you already have until you build a lower. I picked one up while shopping for AKs. I like it. No issues. Only running steel case stuff. That rifle runs like a fuckin' sewing machine. I still want a Biakal/Remmy single, though.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

zobmiedown
* * *
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: sierra vista az

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:11 am

Well I am now the owner of a NIB DPMS Oracle in .308 as of yesterday. Now to get out and fire it.
Regulators mount up.

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4938
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dogan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:15 pm

brothaman wrote:
Dogan wrote:So where are the best deals on SKS's these days?
OT: Probably Classicfirearms.com SKSs runs 300 when they get them. $269 on sale. When the hit the sale, they go super fast. If you want a SKS, Classic is hard to beat. Maybe Aimsurplus too, but I don't' cruise that site much.

Not OT: Last year I picked up a ChiCom SKS from a friend. It was totally not the joy the I remember it to be from my teenage years. It kinda sucked. IMO the best deal in rifles that shoot 7.62x39 is PSA's AR-47. $350 for an upper and BCG. run it on whatever lower you already have until you build a lower. I picked one up while shopping for AKs. I like it. No issues. Only running steel case stuff. That rifle runs like a fuckin' sewing machine. I still want a Biakal/Remmy single, though.
Yeah but I'm working my way up the Soviet service firearms here, in my own way. :clownshoes: After the SKS I can start looking for an AK-47 and a Makarov. And continue the hunt for a Model 1857, M1897 Krinka, Berdan, Winchester 1895 in 7.62x54r, and SVT 40. And when I win the lottery/make millions from my book/patents, I'll get the PPSH-41 and a Goryunov. :crazy:
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
brothaman
* * * * *
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: SC

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by brothaman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:22 pm

I totally understand. I think I'm still disappointed that I was really disappointed in my SKS. But I'm really digging x39 in the AR. So that's a plus.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Dogan wrote:
brothaman wrote:
Dogan wrote:So where are the best deals on SKS's these days?
OT: Probably Classicfirearms.com SKSs runs 300 when they get them. $269 on sale. When the hit the sale, they go super fast. If you want a SKS, Classic is hard to beat. Maybe Aimsurplus too, but I don't' cruise that site much.

Not OT: Last year I picked up a ChiCom SKS from a friend. It was totally not the joy the I remember it to be from my teenage years. It kinda sucked. IMO the best deal in rifles that shoot 7.62x39 is PSA's AR-47. $350 for an upper and BCG. run it on whatever lower you already have until you build a lower. I picked one up while shopping for AKs. I like it. No issues. Only running steel case stuff. That rifle runs like a fuckin' sewing machine. I still want a Biakal/Remmy single, though.
Yeah but I'm working my way up the Soviet service firearms here, in my own way. :clownshoes: After the SKS I can start looking for an AK-47 and a Makarov. And continue the hunt for a Model 1857, M1897 Krinka, Berdan, Winchester 1895 in 7.62x54r, and SVT 40. And when I win the lottery/make millions from my book/patents, I'll get the PPSH-41 and a Goryunov. :crazy:
I'd hold out for a nicer SKS then, instead of one that's trashed.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4938
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dogan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Dogan wrote:
brothaman wrote:
Dogan wrote:So where are the best deals on SKS's these days?
OT: Probably Classicfirearms.com SKSs runs 300 when they get them. $269 on sale. When the hit the sale, they go super fast. If you want a SKS, Classic is hard to beat. Maybe Aimsurplus too, but I don't' cruise that site much.

Not OT: Last year I picked up a ChiCom SKS from a friend. It was totally not the joy the I remember it to be from my teenage years. It kinda sucked. IMO the best deal in rifles that shoot 7.62x39 is PSA's AR-47. $350 for an upper and BCG. run it on whatever lower you already have until you build a lower. I picked one up while shopping for AKs. I like it. No issues. Only running steel case stuff. That rifle runs like a fuckin' sewing machine. I still want a Biakal/Remmy single, though.
Yeah but I'm working my way up the Soviet service firearms here, in my own way. :clownshoes: After the SKS I can start looking for an AK-47 and a Makarov. And continue the hunt for a Model 1857, M1897 Krinka, Berdan, Winchester 1895 in 7.62x54r, and SVT 40. And when I win the lottery/make millions from my book/patents, I'll get the PPSH-41 and a Goryunov. :crazy:
I'd hold out for a nicer SKS then, instead of one that's trashed.
That's the working plan after talking priorities with the SO. CHL's and sidearm for her take precedence, then completion of the AR's. Though she is excited about getting an SKS as well.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7437
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:36 pm

I'm still looking for an all original Winchester Model 1895 Russian Contract musket.

In the last ten years, I've only seen one and that one was sporterized at some point. It wasn't a bad sporter job, but I was looking for an all original one. Probably should've paid the asking price and tried to either restore it or just shot it as is.

I'd pay good money for a repro one if Winchester would make one like they did with the .405 and .30-40 Krag models from a few years back.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7437
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Ok, either DDI got my email or they can somehow read my thoughts because I just found this on AIM Surplus' website today. :clap:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=11

Looks like I just found my next AK. :awesome:

Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Bearcat » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:30 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Ok, either DDI got my email or they can somehow read my thoughts because I just found this on AIM Surplus' website today. :clap:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=11

Looks like I just found my next AK. :awesome:
But that one is a $100 more than your first two option :rofl:

Locked

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”