Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

brothaman

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by brothaman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:36 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
brothaman wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Anyone know a good way to mount a decent light on a Marlin Leverblatt?
If you wanna drop a hunerd-fawty bone, Grizzly Customs is your huckleberry...
140 bucks for that ?

I get that Grizzly makes some great stuff, but I'm not seeing how that'd cost 140 bucks.

I wonder if someone with access to a lathe or something could whip up a homebrew version of that for less money ?
Quality ain't cheap.

If one were running an xs scout mount, then you could slap an offset mount on the end of it.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:43 pm

brothaman wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
brothaman wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Anyone know a good way to mount a decent light on a Marlin Leverblatt?
140 bucks for that ?

I get that Grizzly makes some great stuff, but I'm not seeing how that'd cost 140 bucks.

I wonder if someone with access to a lathe or something could whip up a homebrew version of that for less money ?
Quality ain't cheap.

If one were running an xs scout mount, then you could slap an offset mount on the end of it.
$66
http://www.wildwestguns.com/product/las ... ount-1895/

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:01 pm

brothaman wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
brothaman wrote:
140 bucks for that ?

Quality ain't cheap.

Good point, man.

There's probably a whole lot more work that goes into one of those mounts than I'm even aware of.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:32 pm

psshh,.. I wouldn't drop $140 on that thing. Especially when Wild West has something for half the price. I was being sarcastic.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:46 pm

brothaman wrote:psshh,.. I wouldn't drop $140 on that thing. Especially when Wild West has something for half the price. I was being sarcastic.
Yeah, I figured you were being sarcastic. :lol:

It's neat, but it's a little too expensive for my liking.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:59 pm

I actually looked at my watch last night before cranking on the Dillon 650's handle. It was about 8 minutes of cranking time to make 100, .223 rounds. This time it was hiccup or glitch free.

I started out with completely processed once fired Lake City.223 brass I bought locally.

Guns are icky!

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:01 pm

Anyone here have, or at least have a good amount of experience with the Kel-Tec PTA3? (.380 compact)

I might be trading a pile of stuff I don't need for one. I understand that many folks wrote it off as unreliable, but others insist that once you go through the break in period there's nothing wrong with them. Anyone have any experience to share?
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:08 pm

00dlez wrote:Anyone here have, or at least have a good amount of experience with the Kel-Tec PTA3? (.380 compact)

I might be trading a pile of stuff I don't need for one. I understand that many folks wrote it off as unreliable, but others insist that once you go through the break in period there's nothing wrong with them. Anyone have any experience to share?

I've never owned one, but my father (who really likes mouseguns) has had two of them that I recall. He trades and sells guns left and right for some reason. One was very reliable, the other was not until he went over it with a dremel and emery cloth. As subcompact .380s go, that's pretty much par for the course in my experience.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Century has built themselves a pretty bad rep over the years, but I'm still pretty intrigued by the C308. It sounds like they're using good parts, but I'm not sure if they're screwing up the build. If they're still less than $700 when they get back in stock I might have to take the gamble on one.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:27 pm

procyon wrote:
Dogan wrote:A .22 caliber rifle with similar characteristics as a subsonic single shot .22, but fewer restrictions on reloading? Very appealing. ...About the rimfire reloading kits, I've seen a few and they seem janky as all hell. Ground up match heads? Really?
Why don't you get a LA .357/.38?
Easy and cheap to reload. If you want a subsonic round - load up some light .38's. They don't tear up meat on small game and with .357's it is fine on deer sized critter. With a set of 'look under' scope mounts you just set the scope up for .357's and the iron's for .38 and you don't have to worry about changing the zero. Brass is generally easy and cheap to find. A pound of powder goes a LONG way for .38's. And you can cast the bullets.
Plus lever guns just look good...

Oh, and you can get a handgun that uses the same bullets if you like wheelguns.
GODFUCKINGDAMMIT NO! I've wanted one for about 5 years now and always managed to talk myself out of getting a .357 LA. I already have a Blackhawk (first gun ever actually, gift when I was 14 and working on a farm), and the thought of all that wood and steel makes me want to go try some cowboy action shooting in my duster and boots.

I'm a broken man, Procyon. You've done it. Now I have to get one. Then get a light mount as mentioned above, and get the trigger tuned how I want.

The get a good old fashioned Coach gun (which I've also always wanted) and go do some CAS. God dammit.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:57 pm

Can someone give me some info on the Ruger LC9 ?

I'm working a deal right now to trade my Tristar shotgun for one and all I know about the Ruger is it's a compact 9mm that was released a couple years back. I'm kind of hoping the deal does go through, but since the dude's only asking 300 bucks for the gun, I'm pretty sure he'll have no problem finding a cash buyer.

If that happens, I'm back to square one on trades.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:03 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Can someone give me some info on the Ruger LC9 ?

I'm working a deal right now to trade my Tristar shotgun for one and all I know about the Ruger is it's a compact 9mm that was released a couple years back. I'm kind of hoping the deal does go through, but since the dude's only asking 300 bucks for the gun, I'm pretty sure he'll have no problem finding a cash buyer.

If that happens, I'm back to square one on trades.
It's a PF9 made by Ruger, IIRC.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:14 pm

Which version of the LC9 is it? The original LC9 was hammer fired DAO. I have not shot one myself, but the trigger pull was a common complaint. Then they came out with the striker-fired LC9s which supposedly really improved the trigger. Now they have the LC9s Pro which has no manual safety.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:25 pm

quazi wrote:Which version of the LC9 is it? The original LC9 was hammer fired DAO. I have not shot one myself, but the trigger pull was a common complaint. Then they came out with the striker-fired LC9s which supposedly really improved the trigger. Now they have the LC9s Pro which has no manual safety.
I'm not sure which version it is.

The picture the dude has up on the board isn't very clear. He did say it's like new in the box, so I'm assuming it's a newer model.

That is unless the guy keeps all the boxes and paperwork for every gun he's bought. I usually toss them after cutting off the serial number info for my records or unless they're nice hard cases.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:51 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
quazi wrote:Which version of the LC9 is it? The original LC9 was hammer fired DAO. I have not shot one myself, but the trigger pull was a common complaint. Then they came out with the striker-fired LC9s which supposedly really improved the trigger. Now they have the LC9s Pro which has no manual safety.

The picture the dude has up on the board isn't very clear. He did say it's like new in the box, so I'm assuming it's a newer model.

That is unless the guy keeps all the boxes and paperwork for every gun he's bought. I usually toss them after cutting off the serial number info for my records or unless they're nice hard cases.
Both are still made, but I'd bet it's not the S model. Still, worth asking.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:58 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

That's true, Doc. I suppose I can always ask the guy what model LC9 it is and hope he knows.

I'm not holding out much hope of me getting the gun in trade, though. Dude told me he's more interested in cash rather than another shotgun.

If nothing else, I can always sell or trade off the shotgun to another person or just keep the dang thing and learn to like it.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:16 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

That's true, Doc. I suppose I can always ask the guy what model LC9 it is and hope he knows.

I'm not holding out much hope of me getting the gun in trade, though. Dude told me he's more interested in cash rather than another shotgun.

If nothing else, I can always sell or trade off the shotgun to another person or just keep the dang thing and learn to like it.
I'd take care if you plan to keep the LC9 after the trade, at least for me whenever I shoot one I hit the mag release 4/6 times in a mag. And I have medium hands.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:04 pm

It's still up in the air whether or not I trade for the LC9, Dogan.

The dude I'm working with wants cash more than a trade, but in the event I do somehow get the gun, I'll be careful with the mag release.

I'll let y'all know if I get the gun.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:40 pm

Went to the gun store with my cousin to pick up some ammo and targets. We each broke down and bought a Ruger AR-556. They were only $630.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:17 pm

Having a devil of a time finding 44Spl locally. I -could- order it, but IL means silly games with photocopies of ID...might be time to pick up a set of dies.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:36 pm

Hey all, finally got internet back and wanted to post a pic of the bolt from the Remington 770 I busted a couple weeks ago. I am not real familiar with how bolts are put together, but it looks like this one had a post and was glued.

you see it just peeled right off. As I said I am not real familiar with bots but that was rather easy to break.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:43 pm

I ended up not getting the LC9.

Which is ok with me since I'm not ready to add yet another caliber to my collection.

procyon

Post by procyon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:24 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Having a devil of a time finding 44Spl locally. I -could- order it, but IL means silly games with photocopies of ID...might be time to pick up a set of dies.
I would definitely recommend it.
And a case trimmer / neck reamer.
Getting cheap .44 mag brass and then cut them down.
In fact, I probably have around 100 old .44 mag brass laying around with no use for me. You would be welcome to them if you wanted.
Last edited by procyon on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:54 pm

procyon wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Having a devil of a time finding 44Spl locally. I -could- order it, but IL means silly games with photocopies of ID...might be time to pick up a set of dies.
I would definitely recommend it.
And a care trimmer / neck reamer.
Getting cheap .44 mag brass and then cut them down.
In fact, I probably have around 100 old .44 mag brass laying around with no use for me. You would be welcome to them if you wanted.
Might take you up on that.

Now I have to decide if I think I need the FCD or if the four-die set's roll/taper crimp die will do it.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”