Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed May 13, 2015 11:31 pm

0122358 wrote:I've been noticing your purchases..an ak, drums, what 1-3 handguns, a shotgun on trade...making my jealous man
Yeah, it's been awesome. :lol:
I've bought more guns and gun related stuff in the past year than I have in the ten or so years I've been a gun owner.

And I've purchased 3 handguns (2 Glocks and a Ruger GP100 ), a Ruger 10/22, a Remington 870, traded my SKS for a Tristar Raptor 12 gauge, probably a grand or so worth of ammo, and enough mags to keep my guns running for some time.

Now I just need to get a decent fighting rig set up and I'll be good to go.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:44 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
0122358 wrote:I've been noticing your purchases..an ak, drums, what 1-3 handguns, a shotgun on trade...making my jealous man
Yeah, it's been awesome. :lol:
I've bought more guns and gun related stuff in the past year than I have in the ten or so years I've been a gun owner.

And I've purchased 3 handguns (2 Glocks and a Ruger GP100 ), a Ruger 10/22, a Remington 870, traded my SKS for a Tristar Raptor 12 gauge, probably a grand or so worth of ammo, and enough mags to keep my guns running for some time.

Now I just need to get a decent fighting rig set up and I'll be good to go.
I need to pick up a couple more chest rigs for my guns.

This summer will probably be a big gun season for me. My Sig, a Ruger P89, a 4' .38spl, some sort of AKM flavor, maybe an SKS, another shotgun...ammo, mags. You get the picutre :lol:
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu May 14, 2015 11:11 am

I actually stopped buying guns and now only buy parts and build them these days. Built another lower yesterday and have both a .223/5.56 and 300 bo upper to finish building as soon as my upper vice block arrives. Went with the flat dark earth look for the .223/5.56 but since the 300 bo is for my father in law I am holding off on hand guards until he arrives and makes a choice on color preference. Next up will be a 308 and then maybe a 9mm ar. Pics to come once I finish them.
Regulators mount up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 14, 2015 12:38 pm

zobmiedown wrote:I actually stopped buying guns and now only buy parts and build them these days. Built another lower yesterday and have both a .223/5.56 and 300 bo upper to finish building as soon as my upper vice block arrives. Went with the flat dark earth look for the .223/5.56 but since the 300 bo is for my father in law I am holding off on hand guards until he arrives and makes a choice on color preference. Next up will be a 308 and then maybe a 9mm ar. Pics to come once I finish them.
I almost bought an AR lower the other day from the local hardware store.

I ended up just buying a Case pocket knife instead. I kept telling myself, "Self, you're heavily invested in the AK platform and building an AR means tool purchases, new magazines, yet another caliber to stock and you're running out of space for long guns."

I may revisit the AR idea later on, but for now I'm an AK guy.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu May 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Anyone know if the Magpul AK hand guards are compatible with Ultimak rails?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 14, 2015 3:08 pm

Langenator wrote:Anyone know if the Magpul AK hand guards are compatible with Ultimak rails?
I believe the guys at Magpul said the AK hand guards are Ultimak compatible. I've watched the SHOT Show videos a couple dozen times and they mentioned Ultimak a couple times.

ETA: I just checked a few sites selling the hand guards and all say they are Ultimak compatible.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm

I might have to re-join USPSA because there is some sorta deal between Remington and USPSA, you will get employee pricing which is supposedly good for up to 50% off. I haven't been to a real computer yet to check out the price list yet:

http://www.uspsa.org/ROC.php

Supposedly includes the Bushmaster and DPMS brands.

I had previously heard good things about the DPMS GII, in .308, for a Heavy Metal/He Man division 3 gun rifle:

http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/theba ... stside.jpg

Guns are icky!

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu May 14, 2015 11:58 pm

chills1994 wrote:I might have to re-join USPSA because there is some sorta deal between Remington and USPSA, you will get employee pricing which is supposedly good for up to 50% off. I haven't been to a real computer yet to check out the price list yet:

I had previously heard good things about the DPMS GII, in .308, for a Heavy Metal/He Man division 3 gun rifle:

For the distances common in multigun, required accuracy, and duration of fire, a DPMS will be fine.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Fri May 15, 2015 3:03 am

Local store is selling two M48s, one without a crest, one with.

What's the significance of without a crest? The Internet(tm) says that maybe it used to be Egyptian, or maybe the crest was ground off for some reason(the guy in the shop speculated that CAI had just made a new receiver). Some say it's worth more without a crest, some say otherwise.

I've been looking to get a Mauser(My current milsurps being Mosins, SKS, and a Garand + Carbine), and my eye has been drifting towards a M48.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri May 15, 2015 7:34 am

chills1994 wrote:I might have to re-join USPSA because there is some sorta deal between Remington and USPSA, you will get employee pricing which is supposedly good for up to 50% off. I haven't been to a real computer yet to check out the price list yet:

It looks like all the rifle on the list are 5.56/.223
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri May 15, 2015 8:40 am

MSquid, I think the crests were ground off when rifles were prepped for export or retired form Mil Service. That may be just one reason. I would prefer the one with the crest. I would think having the crest would make it more desirable as collectible.

That just what I've heard. If I'm wrong, folks, please don't' hesitate to set me straight.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

eeb

Post by eeb » Fri May 15, 2015 11:16 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
zobmiedown wrote:I actually stopped buying guns and now only buy parts and build them these days. Built another lower yesterday and have both a .223/5.56 and 300 bo upper to finish building as soon as my upper vice block arrives. Went with the flat dark earth look for the .223/5.56 but since the 300 bo is for my father in law I am holding off on hand guards until he arrives and makes a choice on color preference. Next up will be a 308 and then maybe a 9mm ar. Pics to come once I finish them.

I ended up just buying a Case pocket knife instead. I kept telling myself, "Self, you're heavily invested in the AK platform and building an AR means tool purchases, new magazines, yet another caliber to stock and you're running out of space for long guns."

You could build a 5.45 or 7.62 x39 AR, then you wouldn't need to stock another caliber. And I've put several together with just a barrel nut/ castle nut wrench in addition to normal hand tools. Really, minimal investment for the added capacity. :D

On another note, how long has DPMS been part of Freedom Group? Mine seems decent quality, but this would help explain some of the poor reviews I've seen.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri May 15, 2015 12:03 pm

BCM to make 300bo AR's soon

just go ahead and throw 308's in there please

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015 ... n-the-way/
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri May 15, 2015 1:10 pm

eeb wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

You could build a 5.45 or 7.62 x39 AR, then you wouldn't need to stock another caliber. And I've put several together with just a barrel nut/ castle nut wrench in addition to normal hand tools. Really, minimal investment for the added capacity. :D

On another note, how long has DPMS been part of Freedom Group? Mine seems decent quality, but this would help explain some of the poor reviews I've seen.
I could build a 7.62x39 AR, but I live in a cramped little apartment and space is rapidly taken up by ammo cans, rifle cases and the like. I'm actually waiting to do a build or even buy more guns until I can get into a bigger place.

I'd still like to build an AR at some point, but for now I'm holding off on that.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri May 15, 2015 8:53 pm

Oh yes....
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat May 16, 2015 8:15 am

I got a stiffy when I saw those pop up last week or whenever. My main question is how long is battery life? Rechargeable at that size has me thinking not so long. Also when the battery dies do they still provide hearing pro? (I imagine so)

But yes, no more ear muff rising off my ear for cheek weld, yay comfort level.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat May 16, 2015 8:22 am

TheLastOne wrote:I got a stiffy when I saw those pop up last week or whenever. My main question is how long is battery life? Rechargeable at that size has me thinking not so long. Also when the battery dies do they still provide hearing pro? (I imagine so)

But yes, no more ear muff rising off my ear for cheek weld, yay comfort level.
Battery life is supposed to be 16 hours (probably at low volume). You could just put them in and not turn them on, and still have adequate protection. Just like how you can do the same with Comtacs. Unlike Comtacs/Sordins/HLs/muff type earpro, your own voice and chewing etc is loud like with any in-ear protection. Yay bone comduction.
Dave Merrill

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat May 16, 2015 11:10 am

16 hrs is impressive. Can you do one on at a time if you wanted?
Team Beards&Irons 2013

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat May 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Over by me, the Amateur Trapshooting Association has the Grand. There are plenty of vendor booths. One lady does the pour in or moulded in electronic ear plugs. IIRC, they are about $800 per ear. But the Grand attracts a better heeled clientele.

Here is a used shotgun for $8,900:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... 6994ef.jpg

What is the deal with pics having so many pixels on this forum?

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat May 16, 2015 12:29 pm

Langenator wrote:

It looks like all the rifle on the list are 5.56/.223

Bummer.

Somewhere I have a certificate for like $100 or $200 off a Stag upper or a complete Stag AR. I picked the certificate off the prize table at some major match I competed in.

Guns are icky!

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat May 16, 2015 1:00 pm

TheLastOne wrote:16 hrs is impressive. Can you do one on at a time if you wanted?
I'll see if they live up to that claim. Each earpiece is independent. The cable you see is just removable rubber so you don't lose them
Dave Merrill

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat May 16, 2015 1:02 pm

chills1994 wrote:Over by me, the Amateur Trapshooting Association has the Grand. There are plenty of vendor booths. One lady does the pour in or moulded in electronic ear plugs. IIRC, they are about $800 per ear. But the Grand attracts a better heeled clientele.

All the previous ones I've seen were at least $700 a set. Full boat MSRP on these is $300. I was expecting the price to be much higher, given the price of Comtacs.

Peltor is also releasing Comtacs with ARC rail attachments pre-installed, which will be nice. They have a swovel option now too
Dave Merrill

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat May 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Dave_M wrote:
chills1994 wrote:Over by me, the Amateur Trapshooting Association has the Grand. There are plenty of vendor booths. One lady does the pour in or moulded in electronic ear plugs. IIRC, they are about $800 per ear. But the Grand attracts a better heeled clientele.

All the previous ones I've seen were at least $700 a set. Full boat MSRP on these is $300. I was expecting the price to be much higher, given the price of Comtacs.

Peltor is also releasing Comtacs with ARC rail attachments pre-installed, which will be nice. They have a swovel option now too
I read "contacts with ARC rail attachments" three times before that made any sense...
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat May 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Agreed $300 really isn't bad for earpro of the FUTURE. I'd probably be glad for a don't lose it cord.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”