Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

eeb

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by eeb » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:20 pm

TheLastOne wrote:nice rifle crypto

Hey can I get some fucking streamers and LA Gear lights in my glock slide too? It also really needs some offset angle sights and maybe a charging handle made out of bullet casing.

STOP THE INSANITY
About $400 bucks, for slide and engraving. Thought it'd be nice for a B-B-Q gun. Think I'll go for a stainless 1911 first.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:30 pm

quazi wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
I need to buy more lottery tickets.
I needed one of those for my old hunting club.....Those guys worshipped at the alter of the .30-06, and poopooed the .308 as a weak sister (and it didn't help that my hunting .308 was an evil looking M14).

That HCAR would've really put them in a tizzy. :rofl:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:58 pm

eeb wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:nice rifle crypto

Hey can I get some fucking streamers and LA Gear lights in my glock slide too? It also really needs some offset angle sights and maybe a charging handle made out of bullet casing.

STOP THE INSANITY
About $400 bucks, for slide and engraving. Thought it'd be nice for a B-B-Q gun. Think I'll go for a stainless 1911 first.
I'd rather spend the 400 bucks on something that didn't look as goofy, to be honest.

I can understand wanting to make the slide a little lighter, but why did they have to make it so goofy looking ?

It's like they let a drunk monkey loose on a CNC machine or a mill and said, "Go nuts, Bobo."

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:53 pm

A few days later and my GP100 has a new front sight on it.

I ordered a red ramp front sight from Amazon a couple days ago and I got it in the mail today. Installing it took literally a couple seconds and made me wish installing sights on a gun was always this easy.

Now I can see the sights a lot easier which is good since my eyesight sucks thanks to a childhood incident involving an idiot friend and a spray can of some car cleaner.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:10 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:A few days later and my GP100 has a new front sight on it.

I ordered a red ramp front sight from Amazon a couple days ago and I got it in the mail today. Installing it took literally a couple seconds and made me wish installing sights on a gun was always this easy.

Now I can see the sights a lot easier which is good since my eyesight sucks thanks to a childhood incident involving an idiot friend and a spray can of some car cleaner.
First thing I did with my GP100 was to shit-can the Hogue monogrip and put on some checkered Altamonts......then some lighter Wolff springs and Mepro sights.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:21 pm

I actually kind of like the Hogue grips on my GP100. The only thing I find wrong with them is they could be a little wider in the palm area.

Those Altamonts look pretty cool, though.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:28 pm

the Wolff springs are a huge upgrade and if you clean up the casting inside while you have it apart it will be one slick gun.
ZS#4545

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:33 pm

cricketdave wrote:the Wolff springs are a huge upgrade and if you clean up the casting inside while you have it apart it will be one slick gun.
I'll look into the springs, CricketDave. If nothing else, it probably doesn't hurt to have an extra set handy in case something goes bad.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:55 pm

$4,300 bucks for the HCAR???

:shock:

Guns are icky!

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Because there doesn't seem to be much love for the BCM Gunfighter stock around the web, and I love it.... oh, and that "firearms in action" thread is necro territory at this point.

#pewpewlife

eeb

Post by eeb » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:40 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: I'd rather spend the 400 bucks on something that didn't look as goofy, to be honest.

I can understand wanting to make the slide a little lighter, but why did they have to make it so goofy looking ?

It's like they let a drunk monkey loose on a CNC machine or a mill and said, "Go nuts, Bobo."
Yeah, the $400 is way more than I'm willing to spend. The first article I saw on these mentioned $197. For an engraved, stainless slide, I thought that might be reasonable. But that's just for the engraving. The slide is another $200. No thanks. Not trying to question their pricing structure, but to me it's not worth it. To me, the "goofy" is part of the attraction, like a gold tiger-striped Deagle. Which I could almost buy, by the time I pay for a Glock and that slide.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:59 am

You guys have probably seen this already, video on the making of AK mags:

http://youtu.be/rJxtdAAo_bQ

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:59 pm

eeb wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: I'd rather spend the 400 bucks on something that didn't look as goofy, to be honest.

Yeah, the $400 is way more than I'm willing to spend. The first article I saw on these mentioned $197. For an engraved, stainless slide, I thought that might be reasonable. But that's just for the engraving. The slide is another $200. No thanks. Not trying to question their pricing structure, but to me it's not worth it. To me, the "goofy" is part of the attraction, like a gold tiger-striped Deagle. Which I could almost buy, by the time I pay for a Glock and that slide.
Good point.

There's always going to be at least one person out there who looks at something like those slides and thinks "Man, I have to have that." and is willing to pay the cost to get one.

Personally, I'd like to have an engraved pistol at some point in my life, but I'd want something that was a little more classic looking. The type of engraving you see on old Colt SAA revolvers comes to mind as to what I'd get.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:08 pm

Okie the new shiny thing I'm looking at for no good reason is PSA ar 10 parts. Do their lowers fit dpms ar10 uppers or are they proprietary? Can't really tell from the pics and they don't outright say anywhere I can tell. I can tell that a $99 blem lower is a why the hell not buy one situation.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:32 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Okie the new shiny thing I'm looking at for no good reason is PSA ar 10 parts. Do their lowers fit dpms ar10 uppers or are they proprietary? Can't really tell from the pics and they don't outright say anywhere I can tell. I can tell that a $99 blem lower is a why the hell not buy one situation.
Deeewwwwwww iiiiiittttttt!!! Then see if the FFL you have it shipped to has a DPMS or Armalite they'd be willing to trial fit it to. Let us know the results, please.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:40 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Okie the new shiny thing I'm looking at for no good reason is PSA ar 10 parts. Do their lowers fit dpms ar10 uppers or are they proprietary? Can't really tell from the pics and they don't outright say anywhere I can tell. I can tell that a $99 blem lower is a why the hell not buy one situation.
The PSA and DPMS have the compatible shape.....but I read a thread elsewhere awhile back where sumdood was having an issue with the BCG binding-up when he mated a PSA upper to a DPMS lower......so I'm not sure what would happen if you went the other way (DPMS upper on a PSA lower):

http://forum.308ar.com/topic/9686-psa-p ... s-problem/

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:47 pm

RickOShea wrote:
The PSA and DPMS have the compatible shape.....but I read a thread elsewhere awhile back where sumdood was having an issue with the BCG binding-up when he mated a PSA upper to a DPMS lower......so I'm not sure what would happen if you went the other way (DPMS upper on a PSA lower):

http://forum.308ar.com/topic/9686-psa-p ... s-problem/

As someone who is flirting with an ar-10 build in the future, I second this research.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:38 pm

Soooo if one were to use all psa parts, shit would probably be ok. One thread of a bunch of Internet 'people' barely talking about the topic at hand as linked shouldn't be enough to spook me off, but when I hear 'psa' and 'out of spec' in the same sentence I do cringe.

Le sigh

My search continues. Ares does do lowers and uppers to dpms spec, which seems to be about the only spec that anyone is using. It'd make everyone's life a lot easier if BCM or even spikes just started making lowers/uppers to whatever spec. I imagine whatever they chose would be quick to become standard.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:47 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Soooo if one were to use all psa parts, shit would probably be ok. One thread of a bunch of Internet 'people' barely talking about the topic at hand as linked shouldn't be enough to spook me off, but when I hear 'psa' and 'out of spec' in the same sentence I do cringe.
Then by all means, give it a go.....Either it can & will, or it won't. :v: :v: :v:

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Hmm maybe I came off weird there. I appreciate the link but my meaning was that we all know how one thread/user isn't really a pattern especially when half the posters are arguing a tangent. But, given psa's all too recent reputation of 'fucking shit up' like it's their job to, I hesitate to buy at the mention of spec problems.

I'm not willing to be the guinea pig for any price and was hoping psa had it worked out. I'd like compatibility across manufacturers so I can change bits every ten minutes when something neato comes out like we do with the ar15 platform. Seems like a no brainer for the companies to figure out a standard. /shrug
Team Beards&Irons 2013

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:02 pm

I just picked up the Glock 41 I ordered last week and from the looks of it, it's pretty cool.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate with me soon so I can hit the range and try it out.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:05 pm

Got my VA CCW card in the mail today. :)
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Beowolf wrote:Got my VA CCW card in the mail today. :)
Awesome. :clap:

I'm hoping to get mine soon. I just have to find a class in my area and get going.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:28 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I'm hoping to get mine soon. I just have to find a class in my area and get going.
Is this an option? $39 for the online class, $100 for a 5 year Virginia non-resident permit:

http://onlinecarryclass.com/

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”