Russian-Pattern AK-47s to be manufactured in US?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Re: Russian-Pattern AK-47s to be manufactured in US?

Post by sheddi » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:51 am

Thank you both, that's me educated; I'll stop hijacking your thread now :)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Fri May 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Update: Kalashnikov USA announces move to south Florida.

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/04/kalashn ... z3YvoYrBc8

Kalashnikov USA, manufacturer of Kalashnikov style firearms, announces the company will relocate to South Florida.

The new facility will include corporate offices and allow for manufacturing, warehousing and shipping functions to occur in one location. The move, which will take place over the next several months, will not affect the projected 2015 second quarter shipping of the new Kalashnikov USA firearms.

“With the growth of the company, manufacturing requirements and the rebranding efforts now underway, Kalashnikov USA felt the time was right to move the headquarters where we can incorporate our new manufacturing capabilities,” Thomas McCrossin, CEO of Kalashnikov USA said.

“Our new facility in South Florida offers the opportunity to expand as we grow while offering customers increased customer support and firearms produced using the latest manufacturing technologies and materials.”

[Separately, Arsenal is attributing a shortage of the AKs on the US retail firearms market to increased demand in the Middle East, given the various conflicts there. And here I thought Miss America was going to remedy that situation.]

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/05/middle- ... z3YwLaVrZb

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Kalashnikov USA website now shows Saiga and AK-pattern rifles and shootguns. Classic Arms has them for sale at a low introductory price. This should be interesting.

http://www.kalashnikov-usa.com/firearms

http://www.kalashnikov-usa.com/firearms ... fle-us132z

https://www.classicfirearms.com/saiga-rifle-us132z

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:02 am

That Kalashnikov USA rifle looks awful.

It looks like Palmetto State released their new PSAK-47 today, and they sold out pretty quickly. About $750, uses Magpul furniture. I noticed that it does NOT have a side rail, but then I've head my -74 for close to two years and I've yet to put a optic on it, so that may not mean as much as I thought to me.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Mountainsquid wrote:That Kalashnikov USA rifle looks awful.

It looks like Palmetto State released their new PSAK-47 today, and they sold out pretty quickly. About $750, uses Magpul furniture. I noticed that it does NOT have a side rail, but then I've head my -74 for close to two years and I've yet to put a optic on it, so that may not mean as much as I thought to me.
This one gets a resounding "Meh" from me. Not just because it used Magpul furniture, and lacks a side rail. But because I have learned one thing about American-made/assembled AKs over the years. They are like IPhones. You never, ever buy them when they first come out. You want them to work out all of the QC bugs before you put your money down. And you want to see if the company will stand behind their product or just cut and run. Far better to learn this on somebody else's dime. Besides, I am still a bit of a snob at heart. I would rather have a Russian-made Saiga, even if I have to convert it.

-Mb

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:23 pm

I read that and thought: "How bad can it be? Its probably some purist ak bullshit if it ain't plywood and cosmol--HOLY DOG SHIT THAT'S HIDEOUS"

What the epic monkey fuck were they thinking throwing all that garbage on there? Its as if they found every bubba mako part at the local gunshow/flea market bin and said "Yeah, that's a good idea, make that standard!"

And I don't even like AKs!

:gonk:
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:49 pm

It seems all the U.S. aks are going for around $750 (psa, Kalashnikov, io, etc). There's no way I think they are worth it. When they get down to $450-500, maybe. I'd rather just buy a wasr or pap for $500 than be an American rifle beta tester.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Initially a PSA AK sounds perfect for my demographic, but seeing as it's a smaller production run it will probably stay more expensive than the AR you can build by waiting for a few of their sales. I'm sure these will sell for those who dig the platform, but I'm curious if they break even without the crowd that enjoys the lower price of the imports.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:42 am

I agree those are some butt ugly Ak's.

IF I was the company and wanted to Americaniz an AK with the name Kalsh on it I would have gone a different direction.

I would have gone with a highly accurate barrel. Get something better than the standard AK quality.
A far better fit and finish. Not a fit so tight as to cause function trouble but at least better work and nicer fitting parts.
A very nice metal finish. Something like a very nice revolver type finish.
Maybe even a fully stainless premium gun.
As for the furniture. This is America people. They should have the finest American hardwood possible. With a high quality shotgun style finish.

All that plastic crap could be sold separately for the user to instal.

If your going to be charging premium prices give a premium product. These things should be works of art not something some monkey in a garage could have built.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:01 am

So, uhh, anyone in the market for a $3K AK with fine American hardwood? Only $4K for the stainless one. Can an AK even be made out of stainless? A bit of goggling seems to indicate that it would be quite difficult and expensive.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:58 pm

I'm surprised the Kalashnikov America didn't try to partner with MagPul or MI or something.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Supervisor42

Post by Supervisor42 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Unorthodox wrote:
I read that and thought: "How bad can it be? Its probably some purist ak bullshit if it ain't plywood and cosmol--HOLY DOG SHIT THAT'S HIDEOUS!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Very well put!
How in tha' hell can they screw up a design that is historic for being able to be made on the simplest machinery, with illiterate workers, in a 3rd-world country; make it over here, sell it to rich Americans for $700, and screw that up?
Dammif they didn't!

I just want to pound on someone's forehead and say: "HELLO!!, McFLY!!!" :crazy:
Embrace the next generation, give them a gun and teach them to shoot. They are our future.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:54 pm

Kommander wrote:So, uhh, anyone in the market for a $3K AK with fine American hardwood? Only $4K for the stainless one. Can an AK even be made out of stainless? A bit of goggling seems to indicate that it would be quite difficult and expensive.

Actually if you go by the Ruger Gunsite scout Rifle as an example of the stainless steel i am talking about the cost difference is only about 70 bucks. From 1075 for the steel gun to 1140 for the stainless gun.
http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteSc ... odels.html

Considering the many other guns that are made from Stainless I can not see a real problem with making AK's out of them.

As for the American hardwood.
Anything looks better than that laminated plywood type crap I see all over the place that people seem to love. Even Oak would look better than some wood on AK's that I have seen.
After running a wood shop for 10 years I can tell you the costs for good hardwoods are not exactly as high as people think and as for the high grade finish. Its not that hard or extremely time consuming. Modern polyurethanes and epoxies make this pretty easy. And relatively cheap.

I can see a top quality stainless ak with top quality Turkish maple going for about 1500 to 2k.

Whats a good shape little used Soviet/Russian manufactured AK going for today? Not a Saiga. An Actual Semi auto first imports.
Something like 2 grand?
And that is with the old Soviet quality built right in. Right off the Vodka enhanced military production line. With quality control slightly higher than the M/N.

Between what they could have done and what they did do is a world of difference and not worth the asking price.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:45 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:It seems all the U.S. aks are going for around $750 (psa, Kalashnikov, io, etc). There's no way I think they are worth it. When they get down to $450-500, maybe. I'd rather just buy a wasr or pap for $500 than be an American rifle beta tester.
Eh, I think WASRs and PAPs are deflated because of the surplus parts kits out there. Eventually, they'll run out, and then they'll be more like $650.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”