Manufactures boxes

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Manufactures boxes

Post by Phoenix David » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:02 pm

How many of you keep the manufactures box that your firearm came in?

I am debating if I should toss the boxes (OPSEC observed) I have as they are just siting around accumulating dust
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

eugene

Re: Manufactures boxes

Post by eugene » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:13 pm

Mine are in the crawlspace. I figure IF I were to ever resell one I'll include the box, I'll probably never resell one though/
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:17 pm

Make good targets/ backers. In fact post-Christmas I have more targets than I will use for most of the year. I bag up the book/ accessories and move them to the book/ accessory box.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

eugene

Post by eugene » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:38 pm

I leave all the original books in the boxes. I download the pdf from the makers site and then print it in the size that matches my binder. This way they all are the same size. I'm using an 8.5 x 5.5 binder so printing them out all that size.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

eeb

Post by eeb » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:47 pm

Was thinking about getting a Colt AR or revolver, or other name-brand firearm, for limited use/special occasions, and keeping all the accessories that come with it. But so far, I've gotten rid of the boxes, and wouldn't likely give extra attention to a used gun that included a box.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:56 pm

I keep them long enough to make sure the gun isn't broken and is something I want to keep, then I get rid of them.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:07 pm

I keep 'em; it seems to have made a difference to purchasers on the handful of guns I've sold. I think the box got me an extra $100 on a Ruger MK I I sold. LIke Eugene, I leave the books and all of the accessories in the box and store it.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:43 pm

I keep them. Right now I am going through my first sale of handgun, and keeping the box helped show responsibility as a gun owner by keeping everything "original". It's like having all the records for a used car... doesn't mean anything except mentally make the sale easier for the buyer.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:52 am

considering that most of the guns i buy do not come with original boxes, and that i do not like to sell guns, i do not keep the boxes.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:45 am

Some of the boxes my first guns came in are worth more than I paid for the gun at the time.....

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:48 am

If you plan to resell, it is worth it to keep the box.

If you don't care to keep them you can make a few bucks on them with ebay.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:11 pm

I threw the box my AK came in away. It was defective anyways, all the R's were printed backwards.

Actually it didn't come in a box. The only gun I think I bought that came in a box was my Ruger 10-22. I don't remember if my glock came in a box, or just the plastic case. In any event I didn't keep any of the cases.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Over the years I realized that having the original box on a gun that has been well used really doesn't help during trade in at most gun stores. Granted when you have a brand new gun that for one reason or another you just hate right away, it helps to have the original box when you do the "Its almost new, I barely shot it" speech when trading it back. However keeping something like an original Gen 2 or 3 Glock case, for a gun that you owned for a few years and put thousands of rounds thru, its not worth much of anything other than sentimental value.

I usually hold on to the box from a new gun as sort of a probationary period. Maybe after the 2nd or 3rd range session, I'll make up my mind. If I like the gun and plan on keeping it long term I usually toss the box, especially if its cardboard. I have kept a few plastic pistol cases for more of a just in case need one and because I am being a pack rat.

To those selling unused gun boxes on Ebay.......PLEASE REMOVE ANY MAKE,MODEL, & SERIAL # information from the box (not just the sticker but the spent shell envelope and any other paperwork inside) before sending it off.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Useful for shipping rifles (whether it's the original rifle made for it or not).
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:59 pm

I kept the plastic hardcases for my Glock and Sig, never kept any of the cardboard ones. I don't think modern gun boxes will ever appreciate in value like old S&W or Colt boxes will, but hey you never know.

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:12 am

Lurking on the retro section of arfcom, occasionally someone will post pics of their original 1978 cardboard box that their .AR180 came in, looking for the last little support piece or doo-dad that got lost or damaged. Sometimes they find it, or someone offers a pattern to make a reproduction. The market for that sort of thing exists, I just don't expect it to be very large, and to be worth keeping, they'll likely have to be protected from mildew or insect damage, etc.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:48 am

The box my rockriver arms AR came in was canned for a pelican stormcase... never have to lube for storage or bust rust when I bust it out.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”