.22lr bubble?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: .22lr bubble?

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:52 pm

Huh somebody had a special this week and now I can't find the email. Best I see now is just under 23/rd
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:04 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Huh somebody had a special this week and now I can't find the email. Best I see now is just under 23/rd
If you do find it, I'd be interested in seeing it as well. I need to stack x39 deeper than I have.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:15 pm

I'd been buying it by the 500 (wolf) shipping was $15 and at $120 or whatever I could talk myself into it easier than I used to talk myself into ~250 with shipping. I end up buying more often. I know it isn't any different.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:40 pm

23<25, and heading in the right direction. Thanks for looking. The sale probably sold out pretty quick.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:28 am

TheLastOne wrote:Huh somebody had a special this week and now I can't find the email. Best I see now is just under 23/rd
I got this. http://www.jgsales.com/-p-532.html

20 cents a round. 8-)

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:42 am

Most "outdoorsy" stores near me have pulled the 2 or 3 box limit on .22. If I need to get .22, its only a short drive to multiple stores that have it. Walmart still doesn't have it, though. I think prices will drop once this psychotic demand goes away... but I think it might not go down as cheap as it was. I hope to be proven wrong by this in the future.

The problem is, a small group of people have an obsession on stockpiling .22 lr so stupidly deep, and this small group will buy it out and continue to drive the .22 hysteria. I know people who don't shoot but 3 times a year and don't hunt, constantly go out to buy .22 lr even though they may have only shot 50 rounds of it their entire lives. The shooting community has instilled this .22 hsyteria in my mind that will make it hard for .22 prices to go down. It's like gas prices, get us used to paing $4 a gallon, and when it drops to $3, we rejoice! All while the big oil companies are turning record profits (I agree with free market, not with price gouging).

Now if someone is a prepper and has an obsession with stocking up, OK, I get that. But most people seem to want to buy it just because they hear there is a demand so they buy it. I have a few bricks that I have had for years, and will continue to have for years. If my life depends on thousands of rounds of .22lr, then I am probably in a terrible spot and will die soon anyways.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

DooooMeD

Post by DooooMeD » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:20 am

This POV was shared with me, and I agree with it...I'm not claiming that it is my own:
The reason there is a 'shortage' is that some people are still willing to pay gun show prices (aka Stoopid Money) for bricks. As long as those people will pay the money, then the people who are buying every brick and box so they can resell it will continue to do so. Only when there is no more supply of fools' money will the incentive dry up. So....if we buy huge amounts from one location, we're depleting the visible supply and further driving the idea that there is a shortage. Instead, buy enough to shoot and maybe one spare box. If it's on the shelf at the store, Joe Public will figure it must not be too difficult to get...so there's no reason to drop $50 for a brick at the next gun show. In economist's terms, if we reduce our purchases to actual consumption levels (maybe just a little more) then the visible supply should increase....which cuts the legs off of the price gougers.

Now, I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to have a couple or 10K rds of .22 laying around, especially at pre-bubble prices. But, hey...if I have it, I shoot it, and right now the prices of things makes it just as easy to shoot larger calibers.

By the by, my LGS stocked up on Mosins and x54r and is retailing it at ~22 cpr. Cheap, hard hitting, and FIREBALLS...what's not to love?

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:51 am

TheLastOne wrote:I'd been buying it by the 500 (wolf) shipping was $15 and at $120 or whatever I could talk myself into it easier than I used to talk myself into ~250 with shipping. I end up buying more often. I know it isn't any different.
I'm waiting for black friday. I have to imagine ammo will be stupid cheap(well, more so anyways). I agree though, i usually buy 500 at a time. It's just easier for me to justify $120 at two different pay periods, compared to $240 all at once.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:05 pm

I stopped at the Walmart last week and they had about 8 boxes of thunderbolt 50 rounds. The guy at the counter said that earlier they had bricks of 500 and boxes of 325 but a family of 4 came in and each bought 3 boxes (store limit). I bet they are just going to sell them online for a big profit.

I picked up 3 boxes at $2.47 per 50.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:45 pm

I've seen such boxes pop up for sale online, but it isn't very frequent around here... Neither is bulk .22 on the shelf, though.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:06 pm

The dude at the flea market still has a lot. Till he does not have any at triple walmart price then the bubble is not over. I always ask him how much? but never buy any from him.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:26 am

I think it's pretty much over down here in south-central Tejas... Not as cheap as it used to be but always available. 50 or 100-rd boxes always in by the shelf full, and bulk packs of 300 or more on the shelf more often than not.

I picked up a bunch of bulk packs this week as Christmas gifts for friends and didn't have to look around town or get there early...all bought on different days over my lunch hour or after work.

Already discussed in different threads, but if nothing else this has been an interesting experience (experiment?) in human psychology, and a lesson in what we can expect if things ever do truly go sideways.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:12 pm

91Eunozs wrote:I think it's pretty much over down here in south-central Tejas... Not as cheap as it used to be but always available. 50 or 100-rd boxes always in by the shelf full, and bulk packs of 300 or more on the shelf more often than not.

I picked up a bunch of bulk packs this week as Christmas gifts for friends and didn't have to look around town or get there early...all bought on different days over my lunch hour or after work.

Already discussed in different threads, but if nothing else this has been an interesting experience (experiment?) in human psychology, and a lesson in what we can expect if things ever do truly go sideways.
My local walmarts are out...but when they have them in stock...Remington 225 packs for 11.57 and federal 525 packs for 23-24 bucks...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:05 pm

I occasionally see it at Dick's, but I haven't seen it at Walmart in over a year :(

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:35 am

I think we will eventually get to the point where we will see bricks of low end .22lr readily available for under $12, instead of the $35 people are getting now. We're already seeing the AR market start to become glutted, with well known manufacturers dropping the cost of stripped lowers to $50 retail. I've seen bargain ARs below $500 NIB at the past 3 shows I've been at. Colt ARs can be had for $850 NIB. Eventually, .22lr supply will exceed demand, and cost and availability will get back to where it was a decade ago. I definitely wouldn't turn my proverbial 401K into .22lr ammo at today's prices. I foresee a major correction in the market, and I think it'll happen before this time next year. Once bricks hit the $12 price point, I'll catiously start buying more to replace the 100k+ rounds I sold at 15 cents or more per round. I've still got enough on hand to last my lifetime. Before I'm done, I'll have enough to last my kid's lives.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's toNo the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

mcjon77

Post by mcjon77 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:35 am

22lr shows up at the 3 local Walmarts that I go to a few times every month. Sometimes it is the 225 rd Remington golden bullet value packs (about $12 or $13, IIRC). Sometimes it is the 555 winchester value packs. On occasion it is 1,000 rd Winchester M22 value packs (about $50, IIRC). If the 3 Walmarts near me don't have it, I check 3 in NW Indiana. They have it even more frequently. It is just one of those things that you have to check regularly. Last year, you almost NEVER saw it at Walmart. In fact, many times the people working at the ammo counter told me that they had not seen 22lr in months.

On the online front, a lot of the ammo dealers have 22lr. They seem to be selling it for 9 or 10 cents per round. That is twice what I pay at Walmart, so I don't bother. However, that is still less than what some of the price gougers were (are?) charging. Most importantly, the 22lr at that price seems to be staying on their shelves for a while. Last year, that stuff would have been gone in hours, if not minutes.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:36 pm

SMoAF wrote:I think we will eventually get to the point where we will see bricks of low end .22lr readily available for under $12, instead of the $35 people are getting now. We're already seeing the AR market start to become glutted, with well known manufacturers dropping the cost of stripped lowers to $50 retail. I've seen bargain ARs below $500 NIB at the past 3 shows I've been at. Colt ARs can be had for $850 NIB. Eventually, .22lr supply will exceed demand, and cost and availability will get back to where it was a decade ago. I definitely wouldn't turn my proverbial 401K into .22lr ammo at today's prices. I foresee a major correction in the market, and I think it'll happen before this time next year. Once bricks hit the $12 price point, I'll catiously start buying more to replace the 100k+ rounds I sold at 15 cents or more per round. I've still got enough on hand to last my lifetime. Before I'm done, I'll have enough to last my kid's lives.
Reminds me, when I get hired back on in a month or so I need to pick up 3 more stripped lowers for my builds
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:20 pm

I think I have given up on the cheap .22lr. Now that .223 is cheap again (and getting cheaper) it is so much better to shoot anyway. The only real point in shooting .22lr was as an economy round, trainer and varminting and since it is no longer an economy round it is kind of pointless. I don't know if we will go back to the $.10/rd (-) 5.56 of the early part of the last decade but I bet we see $.20/rd in the near future. Especially if the Russian economy stays in freefall.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:05 pm

Still no .22lr in retail shops in NOLA except at the range and only for sale to renters.

It is common at the monthly gun shows but priced $40+ per 350 count brick as well as Cabellas and Bass Pro but they do not have stores in NOLA.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:34 pm

You can still get a small brick (350) at Walmart for $25 around here most days. In fact it is showing in stock about a dozen or so. Still way too high. A 500 brick should be about $15 all things relative.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:47 pm

I've sold a decent chunk of .22LR in the past few years for positively STUPID prices. Unless you're completely out and NEED .22LR to take your kid to the range this weekend, it's insane to be stocking up at these prices. I mean, come on. Some people are paying (I saw crazy ($90/333rd) prices at a show in January) more per round of .22LR than you can get .223 or 9mm for. Its nuts. On top of that, people are paying more for one brick of .22LR than I recently paid for a metal stripped AR lower on sale. It's nuts. Once it gets back to $20 a brick I'll start restocking slowly. Once a brick hits $15, I'll start being a bit more aggressive. Once it hits $12 again, I'll start getting very aggressive.

Right now, I'm throwing money at AR items, since AR manufacturers are busy figuratively cutting each other's throats financially. The standard financial philosophy of "buy low, sell high" applies. Of course, I'm not buying lowers to sell. What I'm doing at this point is stocking up, so once I die, my kids die, my great-great grandkids die, THEIR kids will each get an AR from their "Great-whatever-Grandpa SMoAF's Trust". I mean, come on. Which makes better sense? $50 for a brick of .22LR, or $50 for a stripped AR lower? Does ANYBODY think that the brick of ammo is a better deal? Anybody???
Last edited by SMoAF on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's toNo the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:51 pm

No "bubble" here...picked up 5ea. 50 round boxes of lead tip for $2.30 a box. Not the cheapest it's been, but buy-able for the next "freak-out"...
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

shooterm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by shooterm » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:44 pm

I stopped using it to. If the nephews go hunting we use shotguns. I went into it well stocked but plinking and appleseed ate it up. I'd much rather use my ammo shooting cans with the youngins then hoarding it for some equation of zombies per lb per mile = mall ninja. Makes me wonder if certain brands like the 10/22 have had sales effects. What I find crazy is the amount of people still looking for.22s when I'm waiting 15mins for them to unlock the ammo case for 9mm wwb from wallyworld.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:00 pm

SMoAF wrote:I've sold a decent chunk of .22LR in the past few years for positively STUPID prices. Unless you're completely out and NEED .22LR to take your kid to the range this weekend, it's insane to be stocking up at these prices. I mean, come on. Some people are paying (I saw crazy ($90/333rd) prices at a show in January) more per round of .22LR than you can get .223 or 9mm for. Its nuts. On top of that, people are paying more for one brick of .22LR than I recently paid for a metal stripped AR lower on sale. It's nuts. Once it gets back to $20 a brick I'll start restocking slowly. Once a brick hits $15, I'll start being a bit more aggressive. Once it hits $12 again, I'll start getting very aggressive.

Right now, I'm throwing money at AR items, since AR manufacturers are busy figuratively cutting each other's throats financially. The standard financial philosophy of "buy low, sell high" applies. Of course, I'm not buying lowers to sell. What I'm doing at this point is stocking up, so once I die, my kids die, my great-great grandkids die, THEIR kids will each get an AR from their "Great-whatever-Grandpa SMoAF's Trust". I mean, come on. Which makes better sense? $50 for a brick of .22LR, or $50 for a stripped AR lower? Does ANYBODY think that the brick of ammo is a better deal? Anybody???

So you are never restocking? 22-26 was the norm pre panic. If you are thinking it will get lower than that you are in for a disappointment.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”