FYI: New Firearms Coming to the U.S. Market

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Re: FYI: New Firearms Coming to the U.S. Market

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:46 pm

TheLastOne wrote:For this weapon, at least at first, I'd expect at LEAST msrp being paid by very willing people. If I had the cash I'd probably jump on it. Maybe I'll find one on layaway :ohdear:
I might have to get one. Hope the price comes down.

The 7.62x39 version takes AK mags, right?
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:08 am

complex57 wrote:
Brotherbadger wrote: Look into the new Canik TP9-SA. Just saw a video on it, and i think i might pick one up. MSRP of $399. I think they greatly improved on the TP9. Loaded Chamber indicator, it takes standard Beretta mags, steel sights, ect.
I watched 2 reviews on Youtube that both agreed that while Beretta mags will fit into the mag well of the TP9-SA the cutouts for the mag release are wrong and will not lock in. You might be able to mod Beretta mags to work, but neither review covered that issue.

I still think the pistol is interesting and attractive for the budget minded.
Yea, it was widely speculated that they were going to accept Beretta mags. Since they have made it to the US in the past two weeks that has obviously been dis proven.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:13 am

New Pistol from Taurus: called the curve

http://www.taurususa.com/whats-new-the-curve.cfm

A CCW designed pistol that curves so it easily fits your body... "because everyone loves some curves on the lady that gets in their pants"

(I want the copyright on that quote...)
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:59 am

Looks like an excellent movie prop gun for shitty movies. CGI some blue lasers flying out of the end and it will be the perfect pistol for a smoking hot, super tight black pleather wearing, female private detective, undercover cop, secret agent, or assassin in the future. Unless of course she is rocking akimbo Deagles. Then it will just be a backup gun.

For real use, can't really tell from pictures.
Some things I am considering negatives right now in no particular order:
1. No sights.
2. Made by Taurus.
3. Proprietary mags.
4. Not enough checkering on frame.

Some things that may be negatives:
1. Squeeze in heel mag release.
2. WTF is up with that trigger?
3. How bright and focused are two bare LED's going to be?
4. Can the laser be zeroed?
5. The curve itself.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:18 am

Redeyes wrote:Looks like an excellent movie prop gun for shitty movies. CGI some blue lasers flying out of the end and it will be the perfect pistol for a smoking hot, super tight black pleather wearing, female private detective, undercover cop, secret agent, or assassin in the future. Unless of course she is rocking akimbo Deagles. Then it will just be a backup gun.

1. No sights.
2. Made by Taurus.
3. Proprietary mags.

5. The curve itself.
The sights itself are an interesting concept. On the back of the pistol, there are two perpendicular white lines meant to make a "crosshair-like" aiming system. So instead of sights on the top of the slide, there is sights on the back of the slide... we will see how those work. As for proprietary mags.... every gun uses proprietary mags. My Ruger mags won't fit my Colt and those won't fit my Para and those won't fit my Star (oddly, all those brands make 1911s so I guess I can be proven wrong lol). As for the curve, it will suck for lefties, but I'm a righty so I couldn't care less.

Honestly, if it works and doesn't jam, and the trigger isn't dreadful, and the price is right.... I may be interested.... maybe. Obviously a niche product, just like their View revolver, but I like that too
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:18 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:New Pistol from Taurus: called the curve

A CCW designed pistol that curves so it easily fits your body... "because everyone loves some curves on the lady that gets in their pants"

That... Is like the Nokia N-Gage of firearms...
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:21 am

Sworbeyegib wrote:

That... Is like the Nokia N-Gage of firearms...

The N-Gage was ahead of its time... garbage yes, but still ahead of its time haha

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Redeyes » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:35 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Redeyes wrote:Looks like an excellent movie prop gun for shitty movies. CGI some blue lasers flying out of the end and it will be the perfect pistol for a smoking hot, super tight black pleather wearing, female private detective, undercover cop, secret agent, or assassin in the future. Unless of course she is rocking akimbo Deagles. Then it will just be a backup gun.

1. No sights.
2. Made by Taurus.
3. Proprietary mags.

5. The curve itself.
The sights itself are an interesting concept. On the back of the pistol, there are two perpendicular white lines meant to make a "crosshair-like" aiming system. So instead of sights on the top of the slide, there is sights on the back of the slide... we will see how those work. As for proprietary mags.... every gun uses proprietary mags. My Ruger mags won't fit my Colt and those won't fit my Para and those won't fit my Star (oddly, all those brands make 1911s so I guess I can be proven wrong lol). As for the curve, it will suck for lefties, but I'm a righty so I couldn't care less.

Honestly, if it works and doesn't jam, and the trigger isn't dreadful, and the price is right.... I may be interested.... maybe. Obviously a niche product, just like their View revolver, but I like that too

That is not a sight. That is lines painted on the rear of the slide. The laser is the only sight. If you want to test this interesting concept, take the sights off one of your pistols and paint crosshairs on the rear of your slide. :clownshoes:

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:45 am

Redeyes wrote:
That is not a sight. That is lines painted on the rear of the slide. The laser is the only sight. If you want to test this interesting concept, take the sights off one of your pistols and paint crosshairs on the rear of your slide. :clownshoes:

I can't, I already have my stick figure family posted on the back of my slide so it matches my minivan...

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:13 am

Considering how big Taurus is, how successful the Judge is and the low cost of this gun I expect this to sell like hot cakes. I bet it will make Taurus a ton of cash off it and get even more hate from the internet.

The barrel appears to contour with the slide. I can't see that helping accuracy having a slanted muzzle. I'm sure there will be a bunch of people using this more as a flashlight than a gun.
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:51 am

Redeyes wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

1. No sights.
2. Made by Taurus.
3. Proprietary mags.

5. The curve itself.

I can make hits at contact distance without sights. Hell my old snubby barely had sights and I could get the whole cylinder in the B-zone at 20 feet. The Curve also have a builded-in lazorz. Don't think of it as a competitor for a G19, think of it as a competitor to a G42 or P3AT. I'm not sold on Taurus or the curved frame, but if it gets manufacturers to start making smaller guns with illumination in mind, it will have served its purpose.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Redeyes » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:46 am

Illumination in mind? Mmm okay I guess I can dig it. A couple keychain lights on the end of your gun? Fuck that.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:01 pm

You've handled it?

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Redeyes » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:You've handled it?
You saw the pics right? Do you see bezels around those LED's? What are non bezeled LED's often used for? Keychain lights. I christen this the Taurus key chain light. You heard it here first people.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:15 pm

So that's a no, you haven't handled it and are basing your criticism on a preproduction picture.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Redeyes » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:So that's a no, you haven't handled it and are basing your criticism on a preproduction picture.
Nailed it. Just like everything anyone else says about this firearm. It is all gonna be based on preproduction pictures until it actually gets out on the market. Unless you want to take Gun's and Ammo's word on it of course. :lol:

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:33 am

These aren't too new and it has been on the rumor mill for a while, but a post on another forum reminded me so I figured I'd share:

BERETTA:

We will be getting some new 92 models:
-92G (I beleive the G is the Brigadier with a rail)
-92FS Brigadier Brunition and Inox
-92G Brigadier Tactical from Wilson Combat

Also rumors of the Cheetah coming back and 92 and 96 Vertec models

(again, I got the info directly from another forum but have been hearing the rumors and reading first reviews)

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:28 pm

I can't get all excited about "budget" service pistols, and here's why.

Take for example, the Sig P250. They can be routinely found for about $350 new.

If I buy a service pistol, I wat to be able to carry it concealed. So I need a good leather or kydex (or both holster). I want to be able to add it to my warbelt too. I need at least five or six magazines for it. Bonus points if it has been thoroughly flogged by some police or military group (or more) before I add it to my battery.

If I am saving $150 over the cost of , let's say a Glock 19, but then I turn around and pay $10- $15 more per magazine for extras (than I would for Glock), that eats into the perceived savings a bit. For five magazines, potentially as much as half of that "savings". Then I shop for holsters... some of these newe wunderguns don't have much to choose from. Probably less chance to find a sale on said holsters, since they're new... so again, how much have you saved? That's if you can find the kind of holster you're looking for.

The holster aspect of this argument can be ignored if you happen to be an expert in making kydex holster, I suppose. The holster on my warbelt for the Glock 19 is a G-Code kydex. I bought six of them for $10 each on sale from Natchez- pretty hard to find something like that for less common pistol makes and models.

My favorite carry holster for the Glock 19 is a sharkskin JIT slide holster I found for $30 on fleabay- it carries great, presents great.

Just my two cents, there's something to be said for stuff that works with everyone else's stuff.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:14 am

ashwednesday wrote:I can't get all excited about "budget" service pistols, and here's why.

If I buy a service pistol, I wat to be able to carry it concealed. So I need a good leather or kydex (or both holster). I want to be able to add it to my warbelt too. I need at least five or six magazines for it. Bonus points if it has been thoroughly flogged by some police or military group (or more) before I add it to my battery.

If I am saving $150 over the cost of , let's say a Glock 19, but then I turn around and pay $10- $15 more per magazine for extras (than I would for Glock), that eats into the perceived savings a bit. For five magazines, potentially as much as half of that "savings". Then I shop for holsters... some of these newe wunderguns don't have much to choose from. Probably less chance to find a sale on said holsters, since they're new... so again, how much have you saved? That's if you can find the kind of holster you're looking for.

The holster aspect of this argument can be ignored if you happen to be an expert in making kydex holster, I suppose. The holster on my warbelt for the Glock 19 is a G-Code kydex. I bought six of them for $10 each on sale from Natchez- pretty hard to find something like that for less common pistol makes and models.

My favorite carry holster for the Glock 19 is a sharkskin JIT slide holster I found for $30 on fleabay- it carries great, presents great.

Just my two cents, there's something to be said for stuff that works with everyone else's stuff.

Wait, what is this Glock 19 that you speak of? I have never heard of such a firearm... I'm glad that you contributed to the thread "New Firearms Coming to the U.S. Market"... just in case someone missed it, and did not realize that the Glock 19 and its Kydex accessories had come to our shores!!! This is eye opening!!! Does it work flawlessly??

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:45 am

Ruger has a new LCR version called the LCRx that has a 3 inch barrel, adjustable rear sights, and comes in any caliber you want, as long as its .38 sp +P

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

If you're feeling really sexy, you can also get the LCP in blue or purple for a limited run of 500 guns.... WOW!!!!

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:51 am

SIG has been puting some stuff out that isn't too new, but I haven't seen much mention anywhere about it:

The SIG556xi: An AR/AK hybrid thing.... meant to be super duper modular and super duper tactical. Looks cool, seems cool, won't cost cool....

The SIG MPX: An AR/MP5 hybrid thing.... meant to be a super cool SMG for LE and Civvy duty, I believe it fires from a closed bolt which is cool in SMGs...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:55 am

Charter Arms has another rimless snubbie revolver coming out in .45 ACP. If you didn't know, they offer the bulldog snubbies in 9mm and also in .40 S&W. I guess it makes sense to go to .45 ACP. Whats next, .45 LC and .410? (nahttttt)

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2014 ... ll-45-acp/

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:30 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:SIG has been puting some stuff out that isn't too new, but I haven't seen much mention anywhere about it:

The SIG556xi: An AR/AK hybrid thing.... meant to be super duper modular and super duper tactical. Looks cool, seems cool, won't cost cool....

The SIG MPX: An AR/MP5 hybrid thing.... meant to be a super cool SMG for LE and Civvy duty, I believe it fires from a closed bolt which is cool in SMGs...
Military Arms Channel just released a video on the XI that was underwhelming to say the least.

I got hands on with a Sig MCX (5.56/.300 version of the MPX) and it was very nice. Especially controllable in auto.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:44 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
ashwednesday wrote:I can't get all excited about "budget" service pistols, and here's why.

Wait, what is this Glock 19 that you speak of? I have never heard of such a firearm... I'm glad that you contributed to the thread "New Firearms Coming to the U.S. Market"... just in case someone missed it, and did not realize that the Glock 19 and its Kydex accessories had come to our shores!!! This is eye opening!!! Does it work flawlessly??
I was really trying to address the "great deal on such and such new pistol" flavor of the thread. Take it as you will.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”