FYI: New Firearms Coming to the U.S. Market

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

FYI: New Firearms Coming to the U.S. Market

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:32 am

Browsing the interweb, I ran across some new offerings by some manufacturers that caught my eye. I figured I would post them on here incase somebody, including myself, has not been paying much attention lately. Please feel free to post other new models coming out so we can all be educated shoppers!!

Winchester XPR: Winchester's new budget gun, supposedly aimed at the Savage Axis, Ruger American, Remington 770/783 markets
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... earms/xpr/

IWI Galil ACE: IWI's new Galil variant with improved weight and ergos will finally be offered in the U.S. after years of rumors
http://www.israel-weapon.com/?catid=%7B ... CA5A4DA%7D

Not too new, and there are some posts about them on here, but in case anyone is late to the party:

Ruger 9E: Ruger's SR9 Economy model without all the "bells and whistles"
http://www.ruger.com/products/9E/models.html

Ruger AR-556: Ruger's entry level gas AR15
http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: FYI: New Firearms Coming to the U.S. Market

Post by Dave_M » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:57 pm

I want a x39 ACE. No desire for the 5.56 versions for a number of reasons, which is fine because those aren't coming in anytime soon anyway. 7.62x39 first followed by 7.62N. Curious as to what mags the 7.62N ACE will be running (hopefully not 7.62N Galil mags, unless IWI in PA starts cranking em' out hardcore)
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:54 pm

I've got a few friends that make modest wages, who often ask me what the cheapest and more reliable handgun they could buy costs. I usually tell them a Glock runs about $500-$550. For them, that is a bit out of their price range.

If they keep it around $350 for street price, and it is a reliable shooter, I'll probably start telling my buddies to look into it. They don't care about bells and whistles, all they really care about is that it goes bang.

I'm a big fan of "high-value" pieces of gear.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:12 pm

I"m also excited about the Ruger.

The Canik TP9 is also on my horizon. If another 12 months goes by and people seem to like it, I"ll be figuring out whether to pick that, the Ruger, or the S&W SD9. Probably will not pick up a first run of the Ruger, but after 12-18 months, I figure any issues will be ironed out.

Oh, and I"m super excited by the Galil ACE as well. I am just assuming it will be out of my price range for a little while. For a little while longer, my money will be better spent on ammo and training than on more rifles. But I do need a fighting pistol. My 5-shot 38 is not up to the task.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:17 pm

If the price is right on the Galil Ace, I may just add one to my collection.

I've seen Tavors go for right around 1,600 bucks in my AO, so I'm hoping the Ace price is well under that. If they can keep the price at around 1,100 bucks or less, I see them selling a lot of these rifles.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:41 pm

You forgot the AUG A3 M1.
I'd love to see a Zastava 16.5" 5.56 AK. The pistol version is titties, now I have want of a rifle version. Hilarity, the promag it came with works, still, steel ones are about the toughest mags I've ever seen, maybe more so than the steel G3 mags. :shock:
Maybe magpul can crank out 5.56 and 308 galil mags. Although, the Israeli poly and steel ones are good just not imported in enough quantity and regularity.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:53 pm

I haven't seen a Canik around locally, the shops here don't deviate much from the "big" brands. In fact, they don't really carry much in the way cheap but high value guns. I've been curious how well the SD9VE feels and shoots for such a cheap pistol too.

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:25 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:... I've been curious how well the SD9VE feels and shoots for such a cheap pistol too.
We've sold a few hundred since introduced . The have a decent grip feel , very reliable . Only complaint is that the trigger pull weight is very stiff compared to other duty sized pistols .
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:30 pm

The Winchester XPR looks like it might make for a good entry-level rifle. I mean, they're all pretty darned good. I dunno if the XPR will topple the Ruger American but it sure does look nice.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Sheriff McClelland wrote:
Sworbeyegib wrote:... I've been curious how well the SD9VE feels and shoots for such a cheap pistol too.
We've sold a few hundred since introduced . The have a decent grip feel , very reliable . Only complaint is that the trigger pull weight is very stiff compared to other duty sized pistols .
Are they good compared to a DA revolver?

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:16 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:If the price is right on the Galil Ace, I may just add one to my collection.

I've seen Tavors go for right around 1,600 bucks in my AO, so I'm hoping the Ace price is well under that. If they can keep the price at around 1,100 bucks or less, I see them selling a lot of these rifles.
Pricing is still being finalized on the ACE from what I understand. Supposed to be less than the Tavor (think full MSRP:MSRP) but I wouldn't bet on $1,100.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote: If they keep it around $350 for street price, and it is a reliable shooter, I'll probably start telling my buddies to look into it. They don't care about bells and whistles, all they really care about is that it goes bang.

If you're talking about the Ruger 9E, then there is no better budget gun IMHO (maybe the Smith SD9VE if terrible triggers are no big deal to you). I love mine and I picked it up for $350 OTD. It is my favorite auto and I have a broad range from 1911's to Colts to Smiths to Rugers, but the value to dollar ratio make it such a nice gun. Mags can get picey tho, I had to shop for a while to find SR9 mags that were $20. I would also say it is my second most accurate handgun, next to a SA Blackhawk, which is an unfair comparison.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

eeb

Post by eeb » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:26 am

Kind of like the Galil, might eventually have to get one in 7.62x39 to have ammo commonality with my SKS.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:I've got a few friends that make modest wages, who often ask me what the cheapest and more reliable handgun they could buy costs. I usually tell them a Glock runs about $500-$550. For them, that is a bit out of their price range.

If they keep it around $350 for street price, and it is a reliable shooter, I'll probably start telling my buddies to look into it. They don't care about bells and whistles, all they really care about is that it goes bang.

Im excited about the rugers as well. Budget guns that work are good ideas for the casual shooter and whatnot like most of my friends.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Hoping the Galil does use standard Galil mags, as those can be converted easily for my Valmet!

Glad IMI is stepping up to fill the void left by Saiga. I foresee buying several.

I'm certain they will sell piles of mags!
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:Glad IMI is stepping up to fill the void left by Saiga. I foresee buying several.
Galil-12 or GTFO.

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:56 am

woodsghost wrote:I"m also excited about the Ruger.

The Canik TP9 is also on my horizon. If another 12 months goes by and people seem to like it, I"ll be figuring out whether to pick that, the Ruger, or the S&W SD9. Probably will not pick up a first run of the Ruger, but after 12-18 months, I figure any issues will be ironed out.

Oh, and I"m super excited by the Galil ACE as well. I am just assuming it will be out of my price range for a little while. For a little while longer, my money will be better spent on ammo and training than on more rifles. But I do need a fighting pistol. My 5-shot 38 is not up to the task.
Look into the new Canik TP9-SA. Just saw a video on it, and i think i might pick one up. MSRP of $399. I think they greatly improved on the TP9. Loaded Chamber indicator, it takes standard Beretta mags, steel sights, ect.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:31 am

Brotherbadger wrote:
Look into the new Canik TP9-SA. Just saw a video on it, and i think i might pick one up. MSRP of $399. I think they greatly improved on the TP9. Loaded Chamber indicator, it takes standard Beretta mags, steel sights, ect.
I was looking at the -SA. The re-strike capability on the regular model really has me excited. Probably not really necessary, but I still like it. I get that mos people would simply rack the slide to solve a "click." But the sights on the new model are pretty darn attractive! Steel vs. polymer, IIRC.

I was not really considering the advantage of accepting Beretta mags. But maybe I should. You have me thinking now.

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:57 am

woodsghost wrote:

I was not really considering the advantage of accepting Beretta mags. But maybe I should. You have me thinking now.
Cheaper mags(i assume) and definitely easier to find than the proprietary mags they were using before. There are pros and cons to the new model. In all, i think it's an improvement over the TP9.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:06 pm

ACE msrp at $1749

according to firearmsblog. They say the pistol version will hit first. Soooo how do we get a sig brace on it :clownshoes:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:09 pm

TheLastOne wrote:ACE msrp at $1749

according to firearmsblog. They say the pistol version will hit first. Soooo how do we get a sig brace on it :clownshoes:
So if the MSRP is $1749, does that mean the actual street price will be a little lower ?

Either way, I'm probably looking at a couple years before I'll be able to drop that kind of money on a rifle. :(

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:46 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:ACE msrp at $1749

So if the MSRP is $1749, does that mean the actual street price will be a little lower ?

Either way, I'm probably looking at a couple years before I'll be able to drop that kind of money on a rifle. :(
Street price for just about anything is usually anywhere between 10-15% (give or take) under MSRP.

Many companies like to quote a high MSRP, because it moves products faster in stores. People google the item they are buying, see a higher price on the companies website than a store is selling it for, and figure they are getting a good deal.

The actual street price is usually based on the dealer's price that the store gets it for. Depending on the profit margin of the particular item and store, I think it's usually a 20% mark up from the dealer price. Stores with a higher volume of customers can usually afford to have a lower markup, because they know that they will make up their profit in volume of sales.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:33 pm

For this weapon, at least at first, I'd expect at LEAST msrp being paid by very willing people. If I had the cash I'd probably jump on it. Maybe I'll find one on layaway :ohdear:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

complex57

Post by complex57 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 am

Brotherbadger wrote: Look into the new Canik TP9-SA. Just saw a video on it, and i think i might pick one up. MSRP of $399. I think they greatly improved on the TP9. Loaded Chamber indicator, it takes standard Beretta mags, steel sights, ect.
I watched 2 reviews on Youtube that both agreed that while Beretta mags will fit into the mag well of the TP9-SA the cutouts for the mag release are wrong and will not lock in. You might be able to mod Beretta mags to work, but neither review covered that issue.

I still think the pistol is interesting and attractive for the budget minded.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”