Ammunition stockpiling: questions re: quality and quantity

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: Ammunition stockpiling: questions re: quality and quant

Post by ineffableone » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Halfapint wrote:Spam cans are alright, but..... I get my ammo way, WAY cheaper through a bulk distributor.
You can find spam cans of 700 for $169, that comes to $0.24 a round. This is ammo that you don't have to worry about going bad while in storage, that is why people buy spam cans. For the hermetically sealed container. The lead sealed cases are also a great way to store large amounts of ammo for long term. And yes a spam can is heavy and has low portability, but then 700-1000 rounds no mater the container is pretty cumbersome, it is not meant for portability or for bug out. Spam cans are back up ammo for defending your location that you would open once you had dwindled your normal shooting supply of ammo. If you want to see probably the easiest way to transport 7.62x39 try watching this video on stripper clipped ammo in the ChiCom bandoliers.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:48 pm

I stockpile XM193 for range use, and PRVI 75gr BTHP for SHTF. I got WAY more PRVI than I could ever imagine having back in the day. Have 2000 rounds of it sitting there for any sort of oh shit use.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:59 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

https://www.zcorrproducts.com/collectio ... ts-pouches

Good for long term storage.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:55 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:I stockpile XM193 for range use, and PRVI 75gr BTHP for SHTF. I got WAY more PRVI than I could ever imagine having back in the day. Have 2000 rounds of it sitting there for any sort of oh shit use.
I use Prvi 75gr OTM, too. Any ideas how it does in gel? 14.5-16" bbls.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:42 pm

AS556 wrote:
UndeadInfidel wrote:I stockpile XM193 for range use, and PRVI 75gr BTHP for SHTF. I got WAY more PRVI than I could ever imagine having back in the day. Have 2000 rounds of it sitting there for any sort of oh shit use.
I use Prvi 75gr OTM, too. Any ideas how it does in gel? 14.5-16" bbls.
There are only spotty test results online for the precise, load, and apparently there is a difference between the old green box stuff and the newer blue box stuff. From what I remember, the blue box was getting more velocity.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/430256_.html

Crappy vid out of a 11.5" barrel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTB0sfKF3ec

Herkemer
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD-Omega Man

Post by Herkemer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:54 pm

I know that this is sacrelige, but I don't have separate HD ammo. It's all 855 or 193 or it's civilian counterpart for the rifles, G22, it's all Remington or Winchester 165/180 FMJ. The only HD stuff I have is .357 , Black Talons and Hydro-Shocks that I bought a half a zillion years ago.

Lazy I guess. At least everything is sighted right for everything.

I'm getting old, and I have one ritual among many now. I take a drive on saturday morning and go to someplace that has ammo, usually Bi-Mart (Best effin store evahhh) and buy a box of ammo, then go to Taco Time and get two crisp meat burritos and a small mexi fries.

If it's Pistol I get one box. If it's .556 I get three (Two Mags), .556 not .223, I am becoming a snob in my old age . I'll also buy a pmag or a glock mag now and again.

I bought the 480 round ammo cans of 855 and 193 way back when. Theres probably 2K+ of that stuff.

My wife built a Micro-Herkemer for me, and I haven't been shooting hardly ever now. Believe it or not, spending time with that little dude is a lot more fun than shooting for me.

What that means is, the safe is full, and it's spilling out into the table in spare room.

Mostly Independence-American Eagle, 55 grain, a lot of PMC "X-tac" 62 grain, 20+ loaded AR mags, a stack of mags, Ar and Glock.

I keep two .50 cal ammo cans full of loaded Ar and Glock mags to go. The rest is stuff in the safe or on the table.

.556=3K+
.40=1K+
.45=400
.22LR=2K+ (500 stingers for finicky wife pistol)
.357/.38SPC=7-800
.308=300
.22 Hornet=300

I also have a couple boxes of SOST in case I need to shoot at car windows and a couple boxes of tracers to set fire to BLM land in the summer. :) My StepFather just gave me a big plastic Cabelas ammo box with 300 rounds of PMC .223 in it. He bought it for me because I might need it because of the "855 Scare" and he was getting one for himself. I love that Dude.

Paying full boat for ammo isn't the best plan, but the family CFO doesn't get pissed off at 20-30 bucks a week. I can't wait until Baby Herkemer can shoot. We'll be set.

On The Lube'y thing, I am in the PNW now, born and raised, and I run wet, no pun intended. If it aint smoking, it aint wet. CLP or Slip or whatever, run wet always.

Reloading. Did it for the AR, won't do it again. Don't like crimping, don't like stuck cases.

EDIT: Just pulled the "Xtac", it 55gr.
“If God dwells inside us like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting”
Deep Thoughts-Jack Handy

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:15 pm

Herkemer wrote:I know that this is sacrelige, but I don't have separate HD ammo. It's all 855 or 193 or it's civilian counterpart for the rifles, G22, it's all Remington or Winchester 165/180 FMJ. The only HD stuff I have is .357 , Black Talons and Hydro-Shocks that I bought a half a zillion years ago.

Lazy I guess. At least everything is sighted right for everything.

I'm getting old, and I have one ritual among many now. I take a drive on saturday morning and go to someplace that has ammo, usually Bi-Mart (Best effin store evahhh) and buy a box of ammo, then go to Taco Time and get two crisp meat burritos and a small mexi fries.

If it's Pistol I get one box. If it's .556 I get three (Two Mags), .556 not .223, I am becoming a snob in my old age . I'll also buy a pmag or a glock mag now and again.

I bought the 480 round ammo cans of 855 and 193 way back when. Theres probably 2K+ of that stuff.

My wife built a Micro-Herkemer for me, and I haven't been shooting hardly ever now. Believe it or not, spending time with that little dude is a lot more fun than shooting for me.

What that means is, the safe is full, and it's spilling out into the table in spare room.

Mostly Independence-American Eagle, 55 grain, a lot of PMC "X-tac" 62 grain, 20+ loaded AR mags, a stack of mags, Ar and Glock.

I keep two .50 cal ammo cans full of loaded Ar and Glock mags to go. The rest is stuff in the safe or on the table.

.556=3K+
.40=1K+
.45=400
.22LR=2K+ (500 stingers for finicky wife pistol)
.357/.38SPC=7-800
.308=300
.22 Hornet=300

I also have a couple boxes of SOST in case I need to shoot at car windows and a couple boxes of tracers to set fire to BLM land in the summer. :) My StepFather just gave me a big plastic Cabelas ammo box with 300 rounds of PMC .223 in it. He bought it for me because I might need it because of the "855 Scare" and he was getting one for himself. I love that Dude.

Paying full boat for ammo isn't the best plan, but the family CFO doesn't get pissed off at 20-30 bucks a week. I can't wait until Baby Herkemer can shoot. We'll be set.

On The Lube'y thing, I am in the PNW now, born and raised, and I run wet, no pun intended. If it aint smoking, it aint wet. CLP or Slip or whatever, run wet always.

Reloading. Did it for the AR, won't do it again. Don't like crimping, don't like stuck cases.

EDIT: Just pulled the "Xtac", it 55gr.
Cabelas has .223 69gr SMK for 11.69/20..might be worth looking into. One of the hands down best performers available.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”