Selling AK to consolidate to 5.56?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

gLockedandloaded

Selling AK to consolidate to 5.56?

Post by gLockedandloaded » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:28 am

Am I being stupid to consider selling my SGL21 and ammo/ mags and putting that money towards AR ammo/reloading?

I have 2 ARs...I like the 7.62x39 round but I dont see what an AK gives me that an AR doesn't, except reliability.

Yes the AK ammo is cheaper, but wouldnt it be better to just focus on training with one platform since they fill essentially the same role?

First baby on the way...I want to keep my shooting hobby but considering I dont have a lot of time to practice, I'm just wondering if selling the AK would be a wise decision. What would an SGL go for?

Thanks!

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Re: Selling AK to consolidate to 5.56?

Post by Skull_Hide » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:25 am

If baby is on the way and you don't have a lot of time to practice, reloading will mean you have NO time to practice/ shoot. Don't put all your eggs in one basket with one caliber. Keep the AK and a AR.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Is it wise to consolidate to one caliber? Sure! It allows you to create a bigger stockpile or, as you said, reload.

Should you get rid of your AK? I don't think so. I argued in another thread {Here} that I believe it is important to cross train with multiple platforms. It is also important to be able to run different calibers, as you don't know what caliber you will have access to tomorrow. In any sort of an event, 5.56 will be the most sought after caliber because so many people run it. It might be REALLY hard to get ahold of, as witnessed in the recent gun scare. Also, you have to realize the comments I made in that other thread are focused on a PAW. That may not be what is on your mind.

Because of differences in demand and cost of materials, if we go through another gun scare, you may find it is way easier to keep your AK fed than your AR, and continuing your practice and training is therefore easier with the AK than with the AR, even if you are able to reload for the AR. Just a thought.

So, if you have both, and you don't NEED to sell one off, I think it is worth keeping both and practicing with them. There are good arguments for consolidation. I had to consolidate recently. I will diversify again as soon as I get the chance though.

I have shared my logic, but I hope you can see all sides and good luck with your choice! :)

EDIT:

Another option is to sell one of your ARs and get that ammo and reloading equipment.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:25 pm

If you want to focus your training and funds on the AR platform, by all means go for it. It doesn't mean you have to get rid of the AK, though. You could put it in the safe as a backup for your backup, or as a loaner for trusted family/friends. You could keep it for sentimental reasons, or to pass down to your first kid when he/she gets old enough. Consolidating calibers and rifle systems (for prep reasons) doesn't mean you have to sell off the AK. It just means that your AK becomes a part of your gun collection instead of remaining a prep.

I can think of a few reasons to sell the AK if I were in your shoes. You can buy a lot of diapers with that kind of money, even though cases of diapers disappear faster than cases of ammo at Knob Creek's machine gun shoot until the little curtain climber gets potty-trained. There's other baby stuff you are going to need as well. You might decide to sell the AK to buy moar AR stuff. You could sell the AK and put the money back for emergencies.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:42 pm

I know a lot of people getting out of AK's actually. With the price disparity between them and AR's is reduced (along with ammo prices for each) and mags being more expensive and accessories fewer it does make some sense. All that said, right now isn't a great time to sell a rifle.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:23 am

Yeah, I would keep it in the safe and wait on another panic, then hold onto the money until it subsides and buy what I wanted later. That is a long game to play though. I understand why you might not be so inclined.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:58 am

Dave_M wrote: All that said, right now isn't a great time to sell a rifle.
Probably not the right place to say this but now is the time to buy what you want. And keep it, if you want mags, buy them now too.

There are 1.1 billion reasons I will not state why.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

gLockedandloaded

Post by gLockedandloaded » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:42 am

Thanks for all of the responses. I had no idea what you were talking about with 1.1 million so I googled it....scary stuff.

423aaron

Post by 423aaron » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:21 am

Having guns is various calibers may allow you to actually shoot if any particular cartridge drys up for a period of time. Having a .40 handgun that has a 9mm and .357 SIG bbl to go with it would give you some flexibility in shooting.
No greater expression of liberty than the report of a RIFLE!

Just trying to keep this life from becoming "Nasty, Brutish, and Short".

http://www.skillgarden.net

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:00 pm

gLockedandloaded wrote:Am I being stupid to consider selling my SGL21?

First baby on the way...
Let me share what I have learned as a parent...

1. Range days are few and far between.
2. Rifle maintenance after a range day may have to wait.
3. AR's don't like to wait for maintenance, they work wet or clean.
4. AK's could give a fuck about being clean. They just want to eat whatever ammo you feed them.
5. SGL's are nice AK's, and once you have kids, you don't get to buy yourself nice things anymore.

My SGL's sat dirty for 2 months after Milcopp, and ran great. Try that with an AR.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:03 pm

423aaron wrote:Having guns is various calibers may allow you to actually shoot if any particular cartridge drys up for a period of time. Having a .40 handgun that has a 9mm and .357 SIG bbl to go with it would give you some flexibility in shooting.

^This^

Having the flexibility to use all kinds of different calibers is not a bad thing. During the last two panics, about the only thing I could find on any of the shelves was .40 S&W, .243, .270, and 20 gauge shot shells. And it was like that for months. There are times when it is far easier and cheaper to get 7.62x39 than it is to get 5.56. And besides. I learned long ago to NEVER sell or trade my guns for anything short of a kidney transplant or some other dire emergency. You only regret it later.

-Mb

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:32 pm

The market is flooded with black rifles right now and ammo is still pricey for the AR. I don't see a reason to sell.

ETA: Doh, you already have a gunsafe. :P
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”