Modifying Shotgun rounds

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

TrippyJoey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead

Modifying Shotgun rounds

Post by TrippyJoey » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:29 pm

So I'm trying to hit the range more often to practice with my shotgun but I need rounds with less recoil since my shoulder isn't liking it much :crazy:
Birdshot is not allowed cause it's an indoor range, and I can't find low recoil rounds cheap locally. My idea was to open up the Sparta. 12gauge 2 3/4 00bk rounds and remove half of the pellets to reduce some of the felt recoil. Since I'm not increasing the weight of the shot the pressure shouldn't increase so I'll be on the clear there. With the leftover pellets I was planning of using them as substitute shot in my leftover birdshot rounds, I would add 3/4 of the original weight of shot or less in the birdshot rounds as not to increase the built up pressure when fired.
Anyone else done this before? I. Doing this while I find cheap buckshot shot to reload my own custom rounds.
The only good zombie is the one with a hole thru its forehead.

manowar1313

Re: Modifying Shotgun rounds

Post by manowar1313 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:29 pm

That's not how it works, reducing the weight of a bullet will not substantially reduce the recoil.
You will have to remove powder to reduce the charge. I would recommend just buying a 20 ga.
Last edited by manowar1313 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:33 am

Of course a lighter shot load will reduce the recoil because resistance is lessened

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:56 am

Sounds like a lot of work. Have you tried one of those recoil absorbing but stocks or but stock pads?

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:Sounds like a lot of work. Have you tried one of those recoil absorbing but stocks or but stock pads?
I want to buy one but I'm pretty tight on a budget due to school and cut hours at work plus since I'm not gonna go quail or rabbit hunting in a while I thought I could put the birdshot to good use.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:33 pm

How about cut shells? Would your range allow poor man's slugs?
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:14 pm

BullOnParade wrote:How about cut shells? Would your range allow poor man's slugs?
I would have to check.

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm hoping to add this stock but it will be a while till then.

http://www.frontlinetacticalllc.com/bla ... 7AodiXcA-Q

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:56 pm

TrippyJoey wrote:I'm hoping to add this stock but it will be a while till then.

http://www.frontlinetacticalllc.com/bla ... 7AodiXcA-Q
I have one of those on my Mossberg 500, mine is an early one made by Knoxx before Blackhawk bought them. The stock DOES work, really well in fact! Seeing how well they work I am considering getting one of their rifle stocks, I have a Remington 700 in .270 Winchester that kicks like a mule!
Suizen wrote:CZ is made of sex. Angry, ass slapping, hair pulling, filthy, dirty sex.

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 pm

Snapshot7.62 wrote: I have one of those on my Mossberg 500, mine is an early one made by Knoxx before Blackhawk bought them. The stock DOES work, really well in fact! Seeing how well they work I am considering getting one of their rifle stocks, I have a Remington 700 in .270 Winchester that kicks like a mule!
Would you say the reduction is drastic in 00bk?

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:53 pm

TrippyJoey wrote:
Snapshot7.62 wrote: I have one of those on my Mossberg 500, mine is an early one made by Knoxx before Blackhawk bought them. The stock DOES work, really well in fact! Seeing how well they work I am considering getting one of their rifle stocks, I have a Remington 700 in .270 Winchester that kicks like a mule!
I haven't shot any buckshot through the gun since I installed the stock but when I first tested it out I used the heaviest loads I had on hand, #2 3" magnum steel shot. Recoil reduction was immediately noticeable. The claims of 50% recoil reduction are not too far off the mark IMHO, I was able to shoot mine one handed and although there was hellacious muzzle flip it was not painful in the least. ( I don't recommend doing this, but had to see if I could :mrgreen:)
Suizen wrote:CZ is made of sex. Angry, ass slapping, hair pulling, filthy, dirty sex.

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:05 pm

Snapshot7.62 wrote:
TrippyJoey wrote:
I haven't shot any buckshot through the gun since I installed the stock but when I first tested it out I used the heaviest loads I had on hand, #2 3" magnum steel shot. Recoil reduction was immediately noticeable. The claims of 50% recoil reduction are not too far off the mark IMHO, I was able to shoot mine one handed and although there was hellacious muzzle flip it was not painful in the least. ( I don't recommend doing this, but had to see if I could :mrgreen:)
I know what to ask for Dia Del Niño then or Xmas

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Read a lot of reviews on the Knoxx stocks first.

I've never owned one but I've heard that it'll just redirect the recoil into your face basically rather than into your shoulder. Your mileage may very.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:20 am

Knoxx/Blackhawk stocks work well to reduce rearward recoil but muzzle flip is markedly increased. So, they still require a recoil management strategy, just a modified one.

What kind of shotgun BTW? How tall are you?
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:05 am

I haven't shot one of the knoxx recoil stock, but my buddy has one on his gun. He says he likes it for the recoil, but has a hard time drawing a tight bead without scuffing his cheek on it. We shot a few rounds of trap once and he had a noticeable chafe or abrasion where it constantly would rub.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:29 am

Sworbeyegib wrote:I haven't shot one of the knoxx recoil stock, but my buddy has one on his gun. He says he likes it for the recoil, but has a hard time drawing a tight bead without scuffing his cheek on it. We shot a few rounds of trap once and he had a noticeable chafe or abrasion where it constantly would rub.
I read reviews where people said that they experienced cheek slap with the Knoxx stocks, haven't had a problem with that but I
do have the Powerpak cheekpiece on mine. does make it more comfortable to shoot.
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/PowerP ... 12,165.htm

The only thing I have found when shooting with these stocks is that it helps to hold slightly forward on the forend when shooting. The recoil reducing action can "short shuck" the action meaning that the action can unlock and relock without ejecting the empty shell. Not a big deal, and is eliminated by simply holding forward slightly on the forend.

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:49 pm

Dave_M wrote:Knoxx/Blackhawk stocks work well to reduce rearward recoil but muzzle flip is markedly increased. So, they still require a recoil management strategy, just a modified one.

It's a Maverick 88 12 gauge and I'm about 5' 10'

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 pm

About 2 years back I did an extensive post on modifying regular birdshot loads, and turning them into light buckshot loads. Here is the link:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 7&t=101178

The general gist of it was you can make light buckshot loads by pulling the birdshot, and replacing it with 6-12 pellets of buckshot. As long as the weight of the buckshot is the same or lighter than the weight of the original birdshot load, the pressure and recoil will be lower. I initially did this with nothing more than a small screwdriver to pry open the shells. I also had a couple of moulds for pistol balls/buckshot, so I ended up with #1 and #0 buckshot to load with. The first load that I made used 6 pellets of #0 (.320"), and was light enough to shoot all day long. I ended up getting the best overall results with 9 pellets of #1, which had a bit more recoil than the 6 pellet load, but was still lighter than the birdshot. It ended up getting the most pellets on target at all ranges. If you don't feel like making your own buckshot, you could probably buy some online for around $35-40/ 5 pounds.

-Mb

Mrselfdestruct

Post by Mrselfdestruct » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:04 am

Doubt this will be cheaper than fiddling with the rounds you already paid for, but in the interest of recoil reduction and with the benefit of an extra shell in the tube... I found 2.25in, 12g shells from herters, six pellets of #00, instead of 9, full power loads behind them. I've got a standard tube under my Benelli, and I can get 1extra in it as opposed to the 2.75in shells.
Last edited by Mrselfdestruct on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the absence of orders, go find something, and kill it." -Rommel

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:41 am

There are recoil vests that contain Sorbothane (or similar) material that will absorb a lot of recoil. I have a Past "mag plus" and it works very well. I'm sure it is cheaper than a new stock and probably safer than modifying ammo.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:43 am

I tried reduced recoil 00 buck instead of the full recoil -- ordered it from Bulk Ammo and they delivered. The math came out to 78% kinetic energy for the reduced recoil (with full recoil = 100%).

It was fine to shoot in a T-shirt, which is what I trained to do since I sleep in a T-shirt and the shotgun is really just for home defense.

Then I took my full recoil 00 buck and my 3" slugs, and fired them all off last Fourth of July wearing a leather jacket with a towel under it / over my shoulder... made it through nearly 40 shells no problem!

That was my experience, with a Mossberg 500.
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:47 pm

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:About 2 years back I did an extensive post on modifying regular birdshot loads, and turning them into light buckshot loads. Here is the link:

The general gist of it was you can make light buckshot loads by pulling the birdshot, and replacing it with 6-12 pellets of buckshot. As long as the weight of the buckshot is the same or lighter than the weight of the original birdshot load, the pressure and recoil will be lower. I initially did this with nothing more than a small screwdriver to pry open the shells. I also had a couple of moulds for pistol balls/buckshot, so I ended up with #1 and #0 buckshot to load with. The first load that I made used 6 pellets of #0 (.320"), and was light enough to shoot all day long. I ended up getting the best overall results with 9 pellets of #1, which had a bit more recoil than the 6 pellet load, but was still lighter than the birdshot. It ended up getting the most pellets on target at all ranges. If you don't feel like making your own buckshot, you could probably buy some online for around $35-40/ 5 pounds.

-Mb
Thanks this is right what I was looking for.

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:39 am

TrippyJoey wrote:
Dave_M wrote:Knoxx/Blackhawk stocks work well to reduce rearward recoil but muzzle flip is markedly increased. So, they still require a recoil management strategy, just a modified one.

It's a Maverick 88 12 gauge and I'm about 5' 10'
I have the same one and am the same height. I've never had any recoil issues using slugs and recoil. I mostly use my home defense barrel so it kicks a bit more. I can shoot the thing all day long and not have any bruises or a sore shoulder. Perhaps the way you're holding it against your shoulder is causing you troubles?

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:09 pm

TrippyJoey wrote:
gun toting monkeyboy wrote:About 2 years back I did an extensive post on modifying regular birdshot loads, and turning them into light buckshot loads. Here is the link:

-Mb
Thanks this is right what I was looking for.
If you look for buckshot molds on ebay, there is a company on there that makes very simple, rugged buckshot molds in just about any size you want. It makes 20 balls/pellets per filling. You can come up with whatever flavor(s) appeal to you, and crank out several pounds worth of buckshot from scrap lead an hour. I use a cheap camp stove, a lead pot, and a dipper. Counting the mold and cutter that came with it, I think it cost me around $55-60 for everything. Well, initially. I have since picked up several molds. And I originally started down this path with a cheap $10 Italian brass pistol ball mold that looks like a reproduction for a .31 caliber black powder pistol. It throws really, really nice .320" (the same as #0 buck) balls. The down side is that it only makes one ball at a time, and takes much longer to get enough shot to reload several cartridges. Thus far, I have molds for F(.220"), #4, #1, #0 and #00. That pretty much covers the spectrum of anything I am likely to use a shotgun for except birds and small game. Right now I am experimenting with duplex loads that have two different sizes of buckshot in them to see how well they perform. Usually 3-4 larger pellets and up to a dozen smaller ones. I don't know how useful they will be, but any excuse to go blow things up at the range is worthwhile.

-Mb

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”