Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Ok, I need some advice, guys.

I've got the opportunity to purchase a Ruger GP100 today and while I've been wanting a stainless model, the shop I frequent has one in the configuration I want but in a blued finish rather than stainless.

Is there any reason other than corrosion resistance and possibly price to choose a stainless finish over a blued finish ?

I need advice soon since I'll be heading to the shop to look at the gun after 4:00 today.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:43 pm

They both work the same way. Other than price and the stainless will require less maintenance not much difference at all. So other than a personal preference for one or the other its up to you.
ZS#4545

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:52 pm

cricketdave wrote:They both work the same way. Other than price and the stainless will require less maintenance not much difference at all. So other than a personal preference for one or the other its up to you.
Thanks, CricketDave.

I really wanted a stainless model, but looking over the rest of my guns, a blued finish would work just as well. If nothing else, I can always get the sucker Cerakoted or refinished some time later if the bluing ever wears down.

Depending on how I feel upon seeing the gun later today, I may come home with it. If not, I'll just place an order for a stainless model with the store and wait however long it'll take.

I'll let y'all know what I decide.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Anybody else (with more insight" heard about the latest ATF letter on the Braces? Came out a couple of hours ago I think...looks like the nail is in the coffin :x
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:46 pm

Looks like that's that. The last letter foreshadowed this, IMO. Glad I dumped mine while the market still existed.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:49 pm

AS556 wrote:Looks like that's that. The last letter foreshadowed this, IMO. Glad I dumped mine while the market still existed.
Looks like I'll have to come up a couple of new ideas for my sripped lowers I have. Fuck. I mean it won't be hard but still.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:52 pm

I'm sure you'll figure it out. Maybe a 14.5" pinned, a DMR, then save the rest to sell during the next panic.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:54 pm

I'll probably go with a 14.5 pinned and a A4 full length clone.

eeb

Post by eeb » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Link to the letter?

Unless it "outlaws" AR pistols entirely, I'll continue to run mine as-is. I just run a bare buffer tube and hold the pistol out in front of me, as one would fire -I dunno- a pistol, maybe? It's not that heavy, I just consider it a low-recoil trainer for a BFR or Desert Eagle.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:31 pm

Well, I ended up buying the blued GP100 like I mentioned earlier.

It's a lot smaller than I had anticipated, but still it's my first .357 magnum revolver and I'm a happy little Chimp. Now to get some ammo and head to the range.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:19 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I kind of want to know what the deal is with the golf ball attached to the rig.
Those might be to pull the "rip cord" for the reserve. I notice there is a golf ball looking thing on each side.

Whereas the the big D shaped ring for the rip cord is up near his right shoulder (which is where mine were way back when in 1993 when I got my 5 free fall jumps in)

Our reserve was basically attached to our bellies.

Guns are icky!

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:51 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
cricketdave wrote:They both work the same way. Other than price and the stainless will require less maintenance not much difference at all. So other than a personal preference for one or the other its up to you.
Thanks, CricketDave.

I really wanted a stainless model, but looking over the rest of my guns, a blued finish would work just as well. If nothing else, I can always get the sucker Cerakoted or refinished some time later if the bluing ever wears down.

Depending on how I feel upon seeing the gun later today, I may come home with it. If not, I'll just place an order for a stainless model with the store and wait however long it'll take.

I'll let y'all know what I decide.
NIBX that sumbitch!

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Recoil on facebook quoted the letter. You can google it. It says it nullifies anything written previously etc.

Aint that some shit
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:54 am

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:35 pm

TheLastOne, if I knew of a place in my AO that did the NIBX stuff I'd totally do that to my GP100.

If nothing else I can always get it hard chromed and pretend it's a stainless finish. :lol:

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:33 pm

Glad you got the blued Ruger chimp, i'll bet you enjoy shooting it. Just wipe it off every so often and that finish will last a very long time.
ZS#4545

AS556

Post by AS556 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:03 pm

cricketdave wrote:Glad you got the blued Ruger chimp, i'll bet you enjoy shooting it. Just wipe it off every so often and that finish will last a very long time.

I just got my first blued firearm, an 870 Wingmaster, anything special I need to know about preventing rust or preserving the finish? Also any tips for removing light surface rust? I used a brass brush and CLP but there's some left over. All my other guns are stainless, Tenifer, parked, etc.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Gun show today///saw several yanking their SB15 off their AR pistols...

Held a Sig Mk25 with the G10 scales...OMGFHDFHYTJKGKITH!!!!! I couldn't put it down...I thought Mk25's felt good before...damn was I wrong.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:49 pm

cricketdave wrote:Glad you got the blued Ruger chimp, i'll bet you enjoy shooting it. Just wipe it off every so often and that finish will last a very long time.
Thanks, CricketDave.

I tend to wipe down my guns after every range session anyway so keeping the finish looking good shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:00 am

AS556 wrote:

I just got my first blued firearm, an 870 Wingmaster, anything special I need to know about preventing rust or preserving the finish? Also any tips for removing light surface rust? I used a brass brush and CLP but there's some left over. All my other guns are stainless, Tenifer, parked, etc.
You can rub it with steel wool and oil and that should remove any lingering rust, then just keep a light coat of oil on all the metal surfaces.
ZS#4545

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:45 pm

This letter is gonna get ATF sued, hard. How does holding something differently redesign it?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:20 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:This letter is gonna get ATF sued, hard. How does holding something differently redesign it?
So that will be if they do in fact end up suing, that three lawsuits of some sorts?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:03 pm

0122358 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:This letter is gonna get ATF sued, hard. How does holding something differently redesign it?
So that will be if they do in fact end up suing, that three lawsuits of some sorts?
I don't keep track. There's the MG suit, I think Sig is still suing over the muzzlebrake/baffle stack. There needs to be a lawsuit over this one, because while I may be a weasely motherfucker, trying to say that intent or how one holds a firearm counts as redesigning/remanufacturing is up there with shoestring machineguns.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:23 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
0122358 wrote:
I don't keep track. There's the MG suit, I think Sig is still suing over the muzzlebrake/baffle stack. There needs to be a lawsuit over this one, because while I may be a weasely motherfucker, trying to say that intent or how one holds a firearm counts as redesigning/remanufacturing is up there with shoestring machineguns.
Exactly. Besides, handguns are designed to be "held in one hand," so technically, holding it with two hands would be holding it differently, ie redesigning it. (To what, exactly, I don't know.)
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

AS556

Post by AS556 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Though I agree with the logic here, and disagree with the ATFs "logic", that doesn't change their stance and taking it with a grain of salt is about as wise as ignoring the NFA laws entirely. Until this is overturned they can, and will, prosecute you given the opportunity. I wouldn't touch this shit with a ten foot pole. YMMV.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”