Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

chills1994

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by chills1994 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:28 am

TheLastOne wrote:If you're totally mental like me you will also put a little dot of paint on the bolts so you can check at a glance for any loosening...
Yep, I do the same thing but with a silver sharpie.

Next time I am at an OfficeMax or Office Depot, I will have to see if they sell a fine point silver sharpie.

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:31 am

Langenator wrote:Posted this over in the AR build thread but didn't get any response...Had an interesting experience last night...putting together a new lower for 3-gun (purpose built 3-gun upper coming as I can afford the parts). Aero lower, ACE stock, POF trigger pack and JP parts kit. Should have been no big deal to assemble, except the POF trigger pack wouldn't fit in the Aero lower. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get the trigger pin hole to line up - it was off in the horizontal axis just enough that the pin wouldn't go in. Since I had another Aero lower, I tried that one as well - same problem.

So I pulled the trigger parts out of my 10-year old Stag lower (bought in 2004, right after the AWB expired, well before Stag was such a big name), since it already had an A2 stock and buffer tube that would fit with the ACE stock. The POF trigger dropped right in, no issues. And the old DoubleStar trigger group went into the Aero lower with no issues.

I've never read about anyone having any issues with Aero lowers. Am I the only one?

Also, for the upper, I've narrowed the handguard down to the Odin or the Seekins SP3R. Anybody have any experience with either?
I am thinking that you are not the only one:

http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:07 pm

Well, I sold a gun last night.

My brother came over last night for dinner and he ended up buying my RIA 1911 from me.

I'm a little sad that I sold the gun, but I figure I can always buy myself another 1911 to replace it if I get to missing it too much.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Deal alert. PSA AR-15 carbine for 500 bucks. Not PTAC either. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... dom-rifle/
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:31 am

Help me spend my money!! :crazy:
kbilly84 wrote:Alright gang. I got me an Amazon.com card for Christmas. I'm thinking splurge a bit and get some shooting stuff. Eye and Ear pro jump to the top of the list. I've got both, but really only in the sense that I have them, and they're earplugs and glasses. I'd really like a pair of ear pro. I feel like Comtacs are the gold standard, but the price is rather steep for me.

So, what do you guys suggest? My card is $50. I'll have a little extra to spend, if need be. Is there any earpro in that vicinity that's decent, or would it be better to save my pennies for the good stuff?

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:32 pm

kbilly84 wrote:Help me spend my money!! :crazy:
kbilly84 wrote:Alright gang. I got me an Amazon.com card for Christmas. I'm thinking splurge a bit and get some shooting stuff. Eye and Ear pro jump to the top of the list. I've got both, but really only in the sense that I have them, and they're earplugs and glasses. I'd really like a pair of ear pro. I feel like Comtacs are the gold standard, but the price is rather steep for me.

So, what do you guys suggest? My card is $50. I'll have a little extra to spend, if need be. Is there any earpro in that vicinity that's decent, or would it be better to save my pennies for the good stuff?
Howard Leight

'lectric
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-0 ... ard+leight

or

Not 'lectric
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-0 ... ard+leight

I don't know what to suggest for eye pro. I get these Uvex black and orange things from work for free. Lightweight and Comfy.

http://www.uvex.us/products.aspx#/product=688&folder=98
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:59 pm

I have peltors and sprung for the gel ear pads (and frankly I'm a little shocked at what I spent on both of those so I'm not linking it)

Howard Leights are a good choice. Comfy earpro is (are?) one of those things that you don't realize how unhappy you were until you have something that fits nice/doesn't mash your ears and head.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:20 pm

I have some Howard Leights, Surefire little ear bud ones and regular foam plugs..never really gave them much thought. If I had to use the orange foam ones for the rest of my life I wouldn't really care. The money would be better spent elsewhere IMO.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:42 pm

I've been eye looking at the Howard Leights, wondering if they're any good... One question I have: Are they "over" ear or "on" ear? i.e. do the cups fit around the ear, rather than press the ear into the skull?

eeb

Post by eeb » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Depends on how big your ears are, I suppose. I use Howard Leight earplugs, soft plastic and comfortable for me all day.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:44 pm

TheLastOne wrote:I have peltors and sprung for the gel ear pads (and frankly I'm a little shocked at what I spent on both of those so I'm not linking it)
Which Peltors are you running now?
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:46 pm

Dave_M wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:I have peltors and sprung for the gel ear pads (and frankly I'm a little shocked at what I spent on both of those so I'm not linking it)

Nothing super fancy but the tac sport ones.
http://www.shop3m.com/3m-peltor-tactica ... H001678479

The pads
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Camelba ... y_hi_img_y

I was mostly shocked that I spent over $200 total. I know they make way more expensive ones than these though. I've been using them since that pistol milcopp class in SC. I bought the gel pads after that. I like them a lot. Battery life is good with lithiums, the mic/sound amp is pretty good, and they don't hurt my head (my hat size is 7 5/8 and only because that's as big as they go...).
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:19 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Dave_M wrote:

Nothing super fancy but the tac sport ones.
http://www.shop3m.com/3m-peltor-tactica ... H001678479

The pads
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Camelba ... y_hi_img_y

I was mostly shocked that I spent over $200 total. I know they make way more expensive ones than these though. I've been using them since that pistol milcopp class in SC. I bought the gel pads after that. I like them a lot. Battery life is good with lithiums, the mic/sound amp is pretty good, and they don't hurt my head (my hat size is 7 5/8 and only because that's as big as they go...).
Yeah there's Peltor expensive then there's Peltor expensive, you know? The gels are pricey but totally worth it. Definitely only run lithiums--nothing sucks more than screwing up something that costs a lot by using a battery that can leak.
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:38 am

There was a thread on ARFcom, yes ARFcom, where Home Depot had a Christmas or New Year's sale on the Peltor tactical ones for $50 .

I haven't actually looked at my local Home Depot myself, yet.

One of these days, I would like to spring for the molded in electronic ear plugs.

In other news.... my Aimpoint arrived in the mail the other day, from SWFA. I haven't mounted it yet. I am kinda giddy about getting it and to finally make a trip to the range.

:clap:

EDIT: with whatever long gun, I never could get a good cheekweld while wearing the lower profile Peltor electronic ear muffs:

Pressing my face or cheek down into the stock, the stock would lift the muff off the ear and break the seal.

Guns are icky!

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:05 pm

Got one of those Manticore curved buttpads for the Tavor. Normally, I wouldn't care for the curviness....but on the Tavor it seems to work. Image

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:57 pm

So uh... CAI gun

http://youtu.be/4aIP4yZOcWU

Probably ammo related but OOB is possible with an AKM
Dave Merrill

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Eye pro and gloves are your friend. Spooky
Team Beards&Irons 2013

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Dave_M wrote:So uh... CAI gun

Don't know if this helps, but looking at :30 to :34 and pausing.... looks like a big plug of metal in the chamber with a little hole in the center. Makes me think OOB as mentioned. Cases are uncoated steel, so that limits the possible makers.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:45 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Dave_M wrote:So uh... CAI gun

Don't know if this helps, but looking at :30 to :34 and pausing.... looks like a big plug of metal in the chamber with a little hole in the center. Makes me think OOB as mentioned. Cases are uncoated steel, so that limits the possible makers.
Bolt looked closed to me.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:23 pm

By the end of this week I should be getting the Ruger GP100 I ordered last month. :clap:

Now I just need to go buy some .357 magnum and .38 special ammo.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:10 pm

I'm sure we all saw this today but the magpul is releasing a 60rd drum

http://www.recoilweb.com/magpul-goes-60 ... 56205.html

Video on the link above is a neat 1 min overview. Don't think it does anything revolutionary but hits the things it should: maglula compatible! works in yer tavor! comes apart to clean it!

Who knows on pricing. IDK why these things are over $50 let alone the $200+ the xproducts people charge for their 50rd...

Something AK to be released by magpul tomorrow... furniture?
Team Beards&Irons 2013

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:26 pm

Maybe it's the Gen 2 AK Pmags with the metal reinforcement we've been waiting for.

Probably not, but hey I can dream, right ?

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:28 pm

TheLastOne wrote:I'm sure we all saw this today but the magpul is releasing a 60rd drum

http://www.recoilweb.com/magpul-goes-60 ... 56205.html

Video on the link above is a neat 1 min overview. Don't think it does anything revolutionary but hits the things it should: maglula compatible! works in yer tavor! comes apart to clean it!

Who knows on pricing. IDK why these things are over $50 let alone the $200+ the xproducts people charge for their 50rd...

Something AK to be released by magpul tomorrow... furniture?
I saw...I want. Read where MSRP is 130.

My question has always been though...AKs have 75 round drums, that tend to work...why cant someone make something that's near that cap that's reliable...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:33 pm

Meh. $129 buys two AWMs and 300 round to practice reload drills.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”