Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

feedthedog

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by feedthedog » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:53 pm

TheLastOne wrote:nope it's just one of these

http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/exper ... mander.php

it's from their entry level line. I got what I feel was a really good deal on it: $325 before transfer and shipping. Bullets arrive friday and shooting begins probably late next week. From dicking around with it here at home though: trigger is pretty good, not a lot of travel and pretty short reset. Frame to slide fit is good, barrel lock up is really good. I'm excited to shoot it. Mostly just wanted a 1911 because I don't have any experience with the platform and wanted one to mess with. That and 45 was the only round for sale here the last go around with shortages and it probably wouldn't hurt for me to have another round to play with.

It's the commander size so I was really kind of surprised at the light weight. It's also aluminum frame steel slide which helps.
Ah, looking more closely that makes sense. The grips are identical to my my P-14. FWIW, I've had zero problems out of mine and that's saying something since I have to go on YouTube everytime I want to clean it.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:45 pm

Shiloh wrote:I've got a $100 amazon card, and want to blow it on gun stuffs. Ideas?
Well what guns do you have that can be accessorized?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Also...looks like Dave and Doc Fab were right...I know source isn't the best but still:
http://gunssavelives.net/gun-industry/b ... s-illegal/
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:41 pm

That Sig brace debacle is just retarded.

I mentioned a page or two back how I ordered an Aimpoint Comp 3 from SWFA and a LaRue mount.

The LaRue mount made it here already. SWFA's site shows the Aimpoint, now, on back order. Sighhhhh....

:(

The LaRue mount came boxed with all the other LaRue schwag. I am glad I had it sent to my P.O.Box because it had this bold green "LaRue Tactical" tape sealing the box closed. I could just picture the box sitting on my front porch for a day or two as all these people drive down mainstreet.

Guns are icky!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:44 pm

I would love to see how this plays out, as I have a letter predating that that says I can shoulder the brace.

I feel a lawsuit pending here.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:51 pm

So this is my new hunting rifle.

In case anyone else is ever in this boat, the FR-8 birdcage uses a M15x1 RH thread, just like a CETME or HK91.

MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I would love to see how this plays out, as I have a letter predating that that says I can shoulder the brace.

I feel a lawsuit pending here.
Determination letters always go by the latest one. Any new letter effectively negates the old one. This isn't new. See: Akins Accelerator, 922R on SBRs, BM3000 etc

A previous letter determined the AFG wasn't a vert grip and therefore is legal on pistols. However, tomorrow another letter could come out saying that it's not OK. This isn't new, has been done many times in the past, and shouldn't be surprising to anyone.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Rereading it, my letter is still valid. I built it witht the intention to use it as an a brace. After the fact, I found that it's occasionally comfortable to rest the brace against my pectoral muscle.

Not fired from the shoulder, not a stock, not built as a rifle.

Funny things happen when you start playing with technicalities. Still, it's about as enforceable a law as a ban on drawing eyeballs on your scrotum.

I smell a lawsuit.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:36 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Rereading it, my letter is still valid. I built it witht the intention to use it as an a brace. After the fact, I found that it's occasionally comfortable to rest the brace against my pectoral muscle.

Not fired from the shoulder, not a stock, not built as a rifle.

Funny things happen when you start playing with technicalities. Still, it's about as enforceable a law as a ban on drawing eyeballs on your scrotum.

I smell a lawsuit.
There are a lot of laws that are hard to enforce. One of the ways they've made issues go away is ensuring any lawsuit is as expensive and as long as possible. I do know of one case where a manufacturer sued the government and won. Subsequently, said manufacturer and anyone affiliated never won a contract or got anything approved ever again.
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Regarding barrel length, I'm thinking of picking up a Ruger GP100 and I'm torn between getting one with a 4" barrel or one with a 6" barrel. I've never owned a pistol with a long barrel and I was thinking the 6" barrel model might have a little more weight to help with recoil, but I'm probably wrong.

If y'all were in my situation, which barrel length would y'all get ?

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:22 pm

I had one with the 6 inch barrel which i liked but i thought i wanted a shorter barrel. Sold it off and got one with the 4 inch barrel. I liked the 6 inch barrel better. for range use, the 4 inch can carry easier for me.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:18 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Regarding barrel length, I'm thinking of picking up a Ruger GP100 and I'm torn between getting one with a 4" barrel or one with a 6" barrel. I've never owned a pistol with a long barrel and I was thinking the 6" barrel model might have a little more weight to help with recoil, but I'm probably wrong.

If y'all were in my situation, which barrel length would y'all get ?

What are you planning on doing with it? playtime at the range? If you arent planning on fighting with it, and want to bullseye womp rats with it, I say get the 6" one. The extra sight radius really helps. It's a dream to shoot with nice target sights.

If you just want to have fun blasting with it, get the 4" because it points a little faster.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Nah, not planning on fighting with it. I've got a Glock for that.

It'll mostly be used for fun at the range and because I've been wanting a revolver for awhile.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:40 pm

Then I say get the 6", its big and ridiculous and you'll love playing with it.

EDIT: I have an 8" Taurus Tracker in .357 that has about 15,000 rounds on the odometer, and its still my favorite revolver. I even like it better than my 1970's Model 67 Combat Masterpiece.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:31 am

feedthedog wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:nope it's just one of these

http://para-usa.com/.
Ah, looking more closely that makes sense. The grips are identical to my my P-14. FWIW, I've had zero problems out of mine and that's saying something since I have to go on YouTube everytime I want to clean it.
Good to know! I'm excited to go shoot it. I've been wanting a low priced 1911 since seeing cryptos rattletrap a couple three years ago. Getting a new one is kind of a bonus.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:00 pm

0122358 wrote:
Shiloh wrote:I've got a $100 amazon card, and want to blow it on gun stuffs. Ideas?
I'm thinking something for my 870, possibly a rail mount for a red dot, but I also have to figure out how much my local shop is going to gouge me on the work to drill and tap the receiver for it.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:03 pm

Shiloh wrote:
0122358 wrote:
I'm thinking something for my 870, possibly a rail mount for a red dot, but I also have to figure out how much my local shop is going to gouge me on the work to drill and tap the receiver for it.
Look at the Burris speedbead.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:35 pm

Picked up an FNP 9 and 5 magazines today.
Dave Merrill

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Dave Merrill

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Dave_M wrote:Image
Keeping in mind that I've never fingerbanged one of those in person: is it just me, or does the bore axis look a little high on those?

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:20 am

Greg Focker wrote: Keeping in mind that I've never fingerbanged one of those in person: is it just me, or does the bore axis look a little high on those?

My brother in law bought one a while back, I had the chance to try it out. It doesn't feel high, in my opinion; probably more SIG-like than Glock-like, but not as high as an XD.

Dave, let me know how you like the FNP as you get more time on it, it seems like a solid gun from my limited experience with it.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:25 am

I've only shot one fn 9, but I thought the trigger was nice
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:14 am

Hows the DA pull?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:52 pm

crypto wrote:Hows the DA pull?
Long and terrible, as one can expect.
Dave Merrill

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”