Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by Akin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:46 pm

So, was at the fun show today and not only did I see my first ever Kel-Tech KSG in the wild, there were like six of them. The cheapest was for $1100... supposedly "latest generation", so maybe there's been some product improvement?

I came *this* close to buying it. Then I realized that I am really, really good for shotguns already... but... still...

I expect I'll pick one up at the next show if they are still available.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:27 pm

I'm a bit hesitant to post this in light of the political issues surrounding it, but I haven't seen this mentioned on the forums at all, and I am posting this for informational purposes only, so I think I'll risk it:

A US District Court Judge has ruled that DC's policy wrt handguns in public is unconstitutional (Palmer v DC). In short, DC says that anyone who wants to carry a handgun in public must get a permit. In practice, those permits were rarely if ever issued. The judge ruled that DC's policy constitutes a ban, and that "there is no longer any basis on which this court can conclude that the District of Columbia's total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns is constitutional under any level of scrutiny". Source

There is a 90 day stay order in place.

I have little doubt that this will end up before SCOTUS.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:05 am

I hope they find that only shall issue laws should be tolerated. May issue was always a crock of shit and easily abused.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Akin wrote:So, was at the fun show today and not only did I see my first ever Kel-Tech KSG in the wild, there were like six of them. The cheapest was for $1100... supposedly "latest generation", so maybe there's been some product improvement?

That's absurd, I've seen them in the wild for $900 and here in Northern Virginia we have a similar "cost of living tax" that Californians do.

Personally, I wouldn't get them unless I lived in a state like Cali so I could get around the magazine restrictions.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:52 pm

Couple little updates I guess you'd call em. Grabbed a giant tube of lithium grease for 2 bucks. Action feels smoother on my AR and Sig than with Tetra grease or Slip EWL30. Probably going to streamline my collection to just the lithium grease, CLP, and Slip. I haven't personally seen the need for dedicated solvents. And honestly, I doubt I will ever need to buy grease again considering the tube is a foot long and 14oz.

Also picked up three GI Colt (w/ Colt bodies, if any fellow USGI mag lovers are reading this) for $5 bucks each. They have the green followers, but that's alright. My others have Magpuls but the green seem to work pretty well, too. Got a 5 round ASC msg, too. Ran 40 of M193/Tula and it ran just fine. Looks like I may be hunting with my AR this year.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:57 pm

AS556 wrote:They have the green followers, but that's alright.
Absolutely nothing wrong with green followers themselves.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:34 am

I have two job interviews in the next week. If those fall through, my backup job is...gun counter at Cabela's. I just leveled up as a poser.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Anybody have experience with the Troy Industries AK hand guard they put out awhile back ?

I kind of want to get one for my AK, but I'd like to hear some opinions on it. I'm concerned with being able to mount rails on it since it looks like there's little to no places to even attach rail sections.

Here's a link to what I'm looking at.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... 3&fprdct=1

ETA: Or can someone recommend a good rail system for an AK that's under, let's say, 250 bucks ?

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:32 pm

Short video of the suppressed 30-30 I posted in here a while back... complete with me screaming because I forgot to take my ear pro off. :lol:

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:48 pm

YYouTube search Ak 47/74 operators union. There is a real Russian who's been reviewing the Troys. Not a fake Russian. :clownshoes:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Anybody have experience with the Troy Industries AK hand guard they put out awhile back ?

I kind of want to get one for my AK, but I'd like to hear some opinions on it. I'm concerned with being able to mount rails on it since it looks like there's little to no places to even attach rail sections.

ETA: Or can someone recommend a good rail system for an AK that's under, let's say, 250 bucks ?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:53 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:YYouTube search Ak 47/74 operators union. There is a real Russian who's been reviewing the Troys. Not a fake Russian. :clownshoes:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Anybody have experience with the Troy Industries AK hand guard they put out awhile back ?

I actually saw that video when I did a search the other day. :D

I wanted to get a ZS opinion of it before I drop the money on one. Overall reviews seem to point to the Troy hand guards being really well built and easier to install than a lot of the other rails I've been considering buying.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Troy makes good stuff, I've yet to have anything from them not perform well. On the other hand depends on what you want to put on the rails, if its just a red dot and a light the ultimak is quite a bit cheaper add a strip of magpul rail on the side of the hand guard for your light. Way cheaper.
ZS#4545

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:16 pm

I like my Midwest Industries rail. I think it was $150 ish? Too much rails for me but it's solid. If I were to do it over I'd get a keymod just to decrease overall size.

I really like troy rails. Ive never had a single issue from my troy stuff.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:18 pm

I had an issue with my Troy alpha rail being slightly canted, but I think it had to do with the 3-screw mounting system not liking the barrel nut I had (which was also Troy).

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks for the info, guys.

Looks like I'll be placing an order for a Troy rail soon. :D

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:36 pm

Dave_M wrote:
AS556 wrote:They have the green followers, but that's alright.
Absolutely nothing wrong with green followers themselves.

I don't think so either.. but they do sometimes get a bad rap. Not sure why.

Oh shit! I forgot to add in my last post that I bought a reloading press. Pretty excited about that. Nothing fancy just a single stage Lee 50th anniversary kit. Gonna pump out some .38 then work up to .223. Not sure I can reload 9mm for less than buying Tula. Probably load up some good priced XTPs or something for my stash and small game hunting.

eeb

Post by eeb » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:03 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:I have two job interviews in the next week. If those fall through, my backup job is...gun counter at Cabela's. I just leveled up as a poser.
"Hey, yous guys got any 22lr in stock?" ;) Good luck at your interviews.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:36 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Thanks for the info, guys.

I dunno. I'm not really into putting rails on my ak. I'll be getting an ultimak for my red dot, but I don't want a lower rail. I want to say weight reasons, but that's probably stupid on an already heavy ass rifle (and where the weight out front might actually improve handling?) Maybe I'm a traditonalist :rofl:

The Troy ones would just seem like fancy pants on my farmer? :clownshoes:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Mountainsquid wrote:
Akin wrote:So, was at the fun show today and not only did I see my first ever Kel-Tech KSG in the wild, there were like six of them. The cheapest was for $1100... supposedly "latest generation", so maybe there's been some product improvement?

That's absurd, I've seen them in the wild for $900 and here in Northern Virginia we have a similar "cost of living tax" that Californians do.

Personally, I wouldn't get them unless I lived in a state like Cali so I could get around the magazine restrictions.
Until this weekend, I've never even seen one in the wild at all, at any price.

Though I've now learned where to find them for eight hundred or so online...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:21 pm

TheLastOne wrote:

I dunno. I'm not really into putting rails on my ak. I'll be getting an ultimak for my red dot, but I don't want a lower rail. I want to say weight reasons, but that's probably stupid on an already heavy ass rifle (and where the weight out front might actually improve handling?) Maybe I'm a traditonalist :rofl:

All I'll probably be adding to my AK is maybe a better light mount, a Magpul AFG and maybe an optic of some kind later on down the road.

I'm still trying to figure out if the Troy AK rail can have additional rail sections added to it or if I'm screwed on that front.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:09 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:

All I'll probably be adding to my AK is maybe a better light mount, a Magpul AFG and maybe an optic of some kind later on down the road.

I'm still trying to figure out if the Troy AK rail can have additional rail sections added to it or if I'm screwed on that front.
Yes, you can add rails to the Troy. Thats what all those holes are for.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Assault Life wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:

Yes, you can add rails to the Troy. Thats what all those holes are for.
Thanks, Assault Life.

Can you use any kind of brand rail section or does it have to be specifically made by Troy ?

Sorry if my questions seem a bit noob-ish, but I'm still sort of new to things like this. :oops:

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Troy rail sections are machined with an indention to fit inside the holes. I'm sure others could be made to work, although they might not be as lo-pro. The handguard should come with a couple sections of rail, though.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:59 pm

I was on a thing! There's some political and social discussion about current events, but it's mostly gun-centric. One of the better gun-related podcasts I've heard, and not just because they let me on.

http://welikeshootingpodcast.com/054/

NSFW, language, politics, and me being more or less myself.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”