Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by AS556 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:35 pm

raxar wrote:I forgot to ask yesterday, but one shop I hit had the steel reinforced lancer mags for $10 a pop, should I go pick some up?
Yes!! Buy them all. Top notch magazines.

Knifestyle, the Taurus 92 is supposedly one of their decent models, along with the TCP and their 1911. Also worth noting Starline brass is very good quality brass and is used by many commercial reloaders, like Buffalo Bore.

Not saying her setup is the shit (I'll stick to my Sig :) ) but its not like its a Hipoint loaded with ball.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:58 pm

And since im reminded of yet another incident at the range.

Okso there is a indoor range like 15 min from the house. I go there with handguns but 25 yards is not worth rifle time. There have been a few time i get there and get a lane next to some dude and a female. Dud is all alpha and says stuff like " this is how you hold it and this is how you shoot ". At 5 yards dude covers a 16X24 target with rounds. I shoot what i got and at 5 yards i put all rounds in like a 5 inch group. Female says something like "oh see him or looks like some competition". Dude tells female its time to go.

Today was like the 4th time this has happened to me at this range. It seems to be a different couple each time but 4th time in what 6 months.

I use a B-29 target and a 6 inch shoot and see i will stick over the B-29 after it gets to shot up.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:06 pm

So, I'm entertaining the idea of getting a AR-10 rifle. I don't want to spend a whole heck of a lot. I see that DPMS has AR-10s relatively cheap.

I know that all Freedom-owned guns have somewhat of a Reputation, but how bad of one do DPMS AR-10s really have? What would be a good alternative near the price point?

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:51 am

Mountainsquid wrote:So, I'm entertaining the idea of getting a AR-10 rifle. I don't want to spend a whole heck of a lot. I see that DPMS has AR-10s relatively cheap.

I know that all Freedom-owned guns have somewhat of a Reputation, but how bad of one do DPMS AR-10s really have? What would be a good alternative near the price point?
For general dicking around purposes the dpms will make you happy. If I had the $ i'd be getting one of the gen2 ar10's they are pimping to try out. My old one was (really) accurate and reliable in a range setting.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:26 pm

Mountainsquid wrote:So, I'm entertaining the idea of getting a AR-10 rifle. I don't want to spend a whole heck of a lot. I see that DPMS has AR-10s relatively cheap.

I have an Armalite AR-10 and really enjoy it. Philosophically, I think it is the best rifle on Earth. In reality it is perfect but a bit heavy...

Except for the snobs, I have heard nothing bad about the DPMS AR-10s.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:45 pm

omega_man wrote:Just received my new BCM 14.5" upper with enhanced lightweight fluted barrel and 10" KMR handguard.

5.6lbs

7.2lbs with Primary Arms micro, Emdom sling, and full 30rd pmag

Gonna replace the MOE stock with a MFT minimalist once PA has the tan back in stock. Gotta say, this is a VERY lightweight rifle. Balance and "handiness" is fantastic. Also impressed with the BCM gunfighter comp. Just did a quick mag dump off the front porch and shit was tight.
That is a pretty rifle. How hot did it get with that mag dump?

My lighter-weight (not light-weight) gets uncomfortably warm with fairly short strings (~10 in ~30 seconds) of fire. Nothing I can't manage with gloves but I wonder what it is like for you.

Thanks,
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Dabster,

It got warm, for sure. Although, not as bad as I was expecting (horribly subjective answer, sorry :crazy: ). I will need to pick up some "rail" covers if I am going to have any fun. What sucks, though, is that BCM is out of stock on their keymod covers and the noveske kit only covers 2 sides :roll: I see myself just giving in and buying 2 of the noveske handguard kits. MI makes a keymod rail cover...but, it's fugly. Since this is my wife's carbine, it must stay sexy :awesome:
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:35 pm

omega_man wrote:Dabster,

It got warm, for sure. Although, not as bad as I was expecting (horribly subjective answer, sorry :crazy: ). I will need to pick up some "rail" covers if I am going to have any fun. What sucks, though, is that BCM is out of stock on their keymod covers and the noveske kit only covers 2 sides :roll: I see myself just giving in and buying 2 of the noveske handguard kits. MI makes a keymod rail cover...but, it's fugly. Since this is my wife's carbine, it must stay sexy :awesome:
Thanks for answering. Good to know my gloved hand won't burst into flames and cinder if I ever need to go all Rambo. I also understand the need for pretty -my wife's AR had to be redone in foliage.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:44 pm

omega_man wrote:Dabster,

I bought the Noveske handstop/cover kit for my Parallax rail. Digging it.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:52 am

New favorite subgun:
CZ Scorpion Evo 3 A1

Shot one earlier this week for the first time and I think I'm in love. Very controllable and smooth.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:27 am

Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:38 am

That's the one. No clue on longevity or long term reliability but she handled nicely.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Found this the other day:

Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Towanda wrote:Found this the other day:

video
At about 1:23 when he starts out, "I just want to say a couple of other things," my strange little brain dubbed in: "Hail Mary, full of grace," causing me to miss his next few lines.

I often wonder what goes on in there but I'm not really sure I want to know.

raxar

Post by raxar » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:17 pm

So a heads up to whom it may concern. I went back and got all the lancer mags that shop had, all are AWM, and the only rifle I have that they "drop free" when empty is the AR I built on an Anderson lower, including the daewoo and tavor.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:56 pm

raxar wrote:So a heads up to whom it may concern. I went back and got all the lancer mags that shop had, all are AWM, and the only rifle I have that they "drop free" when empty is the AR I built on an Anderson lower, including the daewoo and tavor.
Weird. Mine drop from the Tavor just fine.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:32 pm

raxar wrote:So a heads up to whom it may concern. I went back and got all the lancer mags that shop had, all are AWM, and the only rifle I have that they "drop free" when empty is the AR I built on an Anderson lower, including the daewoo and tavor.
I don't have any of the 30 rounders, but my 20 & 10 round AWMs drop easily from my Tavor (bolt locked open & when closed, mags empty & full). :ooh:

ETA: All my L5 AWM mags are the translucent type, if that matters.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:57 pm

Lancers drop free in all my lowers, too. That's a bummer. Didn't mean to tell you to buy a bunch of magazines that your gun doesn't like. :oops:

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:32 am

Got my crossbreed...yup I don't like it. Too big and just weird feeling, leaves a weird gap at my six which makes it awkward. I'll give it a week So I can head into the City for my moms Bday, but honestly I'm probably going to send it back. Hell If I could Id send back my SOE belt to for a different one... :x :vmad:
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

raxar

Post by raxar » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:58 pm

AS556 wrote:Lancers drop free in all my lowers, too. That's a bummer. Didn't mean to tell you to buy a bunch of magazines that your gun doesn't like. :oops:
Nah, I'm still glad I got them, I'm sure I could double my money if I wanted to
RickOShea wrote: I don't have any of the 30 rounders, but my 20 & 10 round AWMs drop easily from my Tavor (bolt locked open & when closed, mags empty & full). :ooh:

ETA: All my L5 AWM mags are the translucent type, if that matters.
These are all translucent smoke as well. Kind of a weird situation if nobody else has the issue.
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Who makes the other lowers? Seekins?

Mine drop from a s&w and a couple different spikes. My seeking required some sanding for any mags to drop
Team Beards&Irons 2013

raxar

Post by raxar » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:35 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Who makes the other lowers? Seekins?

Mine drop from a s&w and a couple different spikes. My seeking required some sanding for any mags to drop
Bushmaster and colt.

eeb

Post by eeb » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:00 pm

I don't know about their AR-10s, but I haven't had any problems with my A-15 Sportical.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”