Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Locked
User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:38 pm

And go.

Seems like an excuse to charge MOAR for cheap ammo after the ass fell out of the market. :roll:
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

KnifeStyle
* * *
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2 Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by KnifeStyle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:41 pm

I bought orange base-plates for my IDPA Glock mags. Should I be this ashamed of myself?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2 Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:44 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:I bought orange base-plates for my IDPA Glock mags. Should I be this ashamed of myself?
Paint the front 1" of your Glock orange. Commence trolling. I considered buying or painting baseplates a different color to differentiate bullet type (HP/Subsonic/Wolf) and caliber, but never quite got around to it. You could do the same with the orange baseplates. Orange for FMJ, blackticool for tacticool.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9074
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:46 pm

Ordered a bunch of M&P 9 magazines from Midway (now that they're back "in stock").......Now just need to decide which M&P 9 to get. Can't decide on whether to get a regular model and swap the sights and possibly the trigger on it, or just try out a Pro model......1st-world problems. :ooh:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:52 pm

RickOShea wrote:Ordered a bunch of M&P 9 magazines from Midway (now that they're back "in stock").......Now just need to decide which M&P 9 to get. Can't decide on whether to get a regular model and swap the sights and possibly the trigger on it, or just try out a Pro model......1st-world problems. :ooh:
Buds has the 9L for under $500 and free shippin'. I've decided I'm just a Glock whore or I'd buy one.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4933
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by Dogan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:04 pm

So since Glocks are still in their "two years ago you were a $350 pistol now you're a $600 pistol because reasons" phase, what do you all think of a S&W SD9VE as my first CC/training pistol?

It feels good to my hands, has a round on the comparably sized G19, and I've heard generally good things about it (except the trigger, which can be fixed with $20 and the wonderful company known as Apex). Plus my LGS has one for $335, a shelf above their $650 G19.

Thoughts?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:10 pm

If your FFL does transfers buy a 19 off Buds for $499. Buds has 9mm M&Ps for $400 in the used section. It's only $65 over your $335 unknown if it's good S&W pistol.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9074
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:18 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Ordered a bunch of M&P 9 magazines from Midway (now that they're back "in stock").......Now just need to decide which M&P 9 to get. Can't decide on whether to get a regular model and swap the sights and possibly the trigger on it, or just try out a Pro model......1st-world problems. :ooh:
Buds has the 9L for under $500 and free shippin'. I've decided I'm just a Glock whore or I'd buy one.
Well, I got an M&P 22 the other day (mostly just for shits-&-giggles) and ended-up really liking it. The only other 9mms I have are an old ragged-out Hi-Power and a KG99, so I figured I may as well get a M&P 9 to go along with the .22.

More and more of my buddies are bringing their wimmenz and kidz out to shoot here at my back yard range, and I figured those two Smiths would be decent starters for the newer shooters.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

KnifeStyle
* * *
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by KnifeStyle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:20 pm

Regarding my possible 1911 purchase, my local gun shop showed me a Remington .45 which is currently marked down to $565. Very good condition, stock wooden grips. Is it really worth jumping to .45 with current ammo prices, or should I still look into a 9mm model from RIA?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by crypto » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:20 pm

I got a lefty Tavor last week, its pretty awesome.

Problem is, it occasionally short-strokes on Wolf. That's not so good. I'm hoping its just tight because it's new, and as it loosens up it starts digesting it without a problem.

I don't want a rifle that cant eat everything.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:26 pm

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... dle-1.html

X-post from the "build your AR" thread. $599 for upper with unlined barrel and shit. Now the Trunk gat is complete, for a total cost of $800 minus whatever I get from the old upper.
crypto wrote:I got a lefty Tavor last week, its pretty awesome.

Problem is, it occasionally short-strokes on Wolf. That's not so good. I'm hoping its just tight because it's new, and as it loosens up it starts digesting it without a problem.

I don't want a rifle that cant eat everything.
That's wierd. Then again, with what replacement barrels will likely cost I haven't run much Wolf at all through mine. First company that makes an adjustable gasblock will be my BFF, because bullpup+suppressed. Ugh. Such gas. Much suck. Very lead.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6172
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: St Louis

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by PistolPete » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:41 pm

crypto wrote:I got a lefty Tavor last week, its pretty awesome.

Problem is, it occasionally short-strokes on Wolf. That's not so good. I'm hoping its just tight because it's new, and as it loosens up it starts digesting it without a problem.

I don't want a rifle that cant eat everything.
You kids and your cheap ammo in expensive boutique rifles. It's like buying a Ferrari and then being annoyed when it won't achieve peak performance on 87 octane gas you bought out of a barrel in an alley in Mexico. :D
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain
Image

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:42 pm

crypto wrote:I got a lefty Tavor last week, its pretty awesome.

Problem is, it occasionally short-strokes on Wolf. That's not so good. I'm hoping its just tight because it's new, and as it loosens up it starts digesting it without a problem.

I don't want a rifle that cant eat everything.
Bullpups in general don't like steel. Steyrs and MSARs prefer full powered brass case. I don't think the FN2000 likes steel either from what the interweb has told me. I'm not sure why but to run Wolf I have to go to the adverse setting on the Steyr and the MSAR, then they run fine. I know nothing about the Tavor but if they have an adverse gas setting I think that would help. My theory is the reciprocating mass of the 2 big gas pistons and the big carrier of the AUG is just too much for the Wolf to over come on the normal setting. No facts, just a guess.

I refuse to shoot anything but brass in my guns so I don't find it to be an issue for me personally.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6769
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:45 pm

I feel like a total idiot right now. :lol:

I was checking the sights on my new AK and I thought my rear sight was bent. I was pissed since I dropped about 700 bucks on the thing and wanted it to be perfect. Twenty minutes later and rereading the owner's manual, I find out my rifle has RPK sights and the reason the rear sight looked off is because I had adjusted it a bit to the right. :oops:

Everything's fine now, but I still feel like an idiot.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9074
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:53 pm

A little while back one of our local TV news stations had "Gun Week". In one installment they sent a reporter to a range for some defensive pistol training. Near the end of the vid the instructor had her "hugging" the target and shooting at contact. I don't recall ever seeing that before.....When she shot the 2nd time, the camera was shooting upwards from a low angle and I cringed for a half-a-second cause I thought she was about to shoot herself in the left forearm. :ooh:


Video is here: http://www.wkrg.com/story/24768335/news ... l-training




Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

feedthedog
* * * *
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by feedthedog » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:08 pm

I had some free time today, so I rolled down to one of the bigger gun shops in the area. I set myself an impulse buy max of $600, and went to go peruse. Dude on staff was the worst kind of gun store employee (uber-tactical, pushy, unpleasant, etc), so I left without buying anything. Back to buying online!

User avatar
Maverick299
* * * * *
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:20 am
Location: Hawkeye State

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Anyone shot a S&W 625 Jerry Miculek edition? I've heard they are sweet. I've got a trade deal cooking on one but they guy doesn't seem to want to budge on his price...........trying to figure out how bad I want one and if it will just end up collecting dust like many of the other revolvers in the safe. I keep telling myself that with the cheaper ammo (compared to .44 and .357) it will get some use. Plus moon clips are coooool.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

User avatar
Mikeyboy
* * * * *
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Just look at Kel-tec.

Most of the their pistols sell for between $200 to $400

They make the Sub2K , a pistol carbine that sells for about $350 to $400

They make a .223 rifle that takes AR mags that sells for about $500

Then they make a bullpup in .308 the RFB ... price $1,800. :ooh:

Even better 2014 Shot Show they are coming out with the RDB and M43 both .223 bullpups. Don't expect to see until 2016 knowing Kel-tec slow ass production. RDB and M43 are the same guns with the same guts. The difference is that the RDB is plastic and M43 comes with wood furniture, a sheet metal lower receiver and metal sights. Now, here is the punch line: the MSRP of RDB is $2,500 and the MSRP of M43 is $3,000 .
:lol:

So the lesson here if you make plastic longguns put together with screws you can only sell them for under $550, but if you can bullpup rifles with plastic and put together with screws you can add 1 or 2 grand to the price tag. Even better if you take 75 year old soviet know how a make a .223 bullpup out of sheet metal and wood, and put it together with screws, you can charge $3,000.

How much does a Saiga .223 go for? Oh yea $500 ... Saiga should start making bullpups.

madoka
* *
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:36 am

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by madoka » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:43 pm

My Tavor 16 and 18:

Image

User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by 0122358 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Chimp...pics of your new gat man...I'm jelly!

Also, I'm, looking into a S&W SD9 for an HD gun...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

hoofibou
*
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by hoofibou » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:07 pm

Anybody able to find a Glock 42 in their area? Any idea of the MSRP

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by Dave_M » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:28 pm

An adjustable gas block is the answer. If your rifle runs Wolf with no modifications it's overgassed with quality brass.
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4933
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by Dogan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:30 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:Just look at Kel-tec.

Most of the their pistols sell for between $200 to $400
I really want to like the PF9, I do. But there's just such a spotty track record with them that I really can't justify buying one, due to the fact that A LOT OF THEM malf in some way, chronically. As in I can think of three people off the top of my head that sold their PF9's because they couldn't stand the malf rates, one after over $200 in GS work to try and fix said malfs.

For a hundred bucks more a SD9VE seems like a much better deal, and after a few hundred malf-free rounds I'd be confident carrying one. A PF9 I feel like I would always be wondering "Will it work when I need it to?" despite the fact that it's tiny and carrying it would be close to effortless.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by 0122358 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 pm

hoofibou wrote:Anybody able to find a Glock 42 in their area? Any idea of the MSRP
I'm wondering this as well
Edit...I just remember my local big box sports store has them for...425-475 I think?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Locked

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”