Would you buy 3D printed mags?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Yes
39%
No
29%
Other
16%
Welcome To Costco, I Love You
16%

Total votes: 31

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:49 am

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Re: Would you buy 3D printed mags?

Post by Manimal2878 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:17 am

Eventually, the tech will get where I would trust it. But not yet.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:49 am

If they're more reliable than Thermolds and still cheaper than USGI, maybe. If they're not more reliable and durable than the cheap crappy mags, and they're not cheaper than USGI ($9 new, $7-8 used) then there's not point.

Same as any other mag. If it's cheaper, I might give it a try, but I'm not gonna buy a ten-pack unless it's cheaper and well-tested.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:52 am

I'd try them out (depending on price).

Probably not going to leave USGI's for them.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:54 am

The way the tech is evolving, I'd say that this is inevitable.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:01 am

Magpul makes Pmag with injection molded plastic. The only difference in theory is that injection molding is faster and cheaper to produce, and that you are limited to the type of plastic used in 3D printing. I'm not sure if the hard polymer on some 3D printer will be exactly the same as an injection molded plastic made by Magpul, and that it will be cost productive (congrats you made a $200 copy of a mag you can buy for $20). At the end of the day a 3D printer will eventually be able to make something very close to a Pmag magazine box, floorplate, and follower. The only thing you would need is the spring.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:23 am

They are beginning to 3D print with materials like titanium. That is a whole new animal.

http://www.gizmag.com/3d-printed-titani ... ame/30760/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd buy a 3D printed plastic mag if the price wasn't crazy to test it out just for the novelty if nothing else. However, I wouldn't mix it in with my other mags until I was very confident in it.
Boldly going nowhere

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:14 pm

I would not buy a 3D printed mag. No reason to do so.

I might however in the future buy a mag pdf blueprint, to use in a 3D printer to print up my own mags. Thus enabling me to print out as many mags as I want, when I want.

But as others have mentioned only after the tech and quality gets better.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Magpul mags are disgned on a computer and the molds cut out via cnc machine. They are not printed in the same way but their molds are basically 'printed' with a CNC machine in a block of metal.

TODP

Post by TODP » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:41 pm

ineffableone wrote:I might however in the future buy a mag pdf blueprint, to use in a 3D printer to print up my own mags. Thus enabling me to print out as many mags as I want, when I want.
Technically there isn't even the need for you to buy blueprints from anyone. A disassembled mag and a 3 D scanner (which can even be homemade) is really all you need.

This whole 3D printing thing is bound to produce a shitstorm of copyright and patent issues in the very near future. This will be entertaining to watch.
I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow.
Neil Armstrong (2000) The Engineered Century. The Bridge 30-1: 14-18

TrippyJoey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead

Post by TrippyJoey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:10 pm

Working at a 3D printing company with experience with the materials and different processes ( Polyjet, SLS, sla, FDM) I would buy one. Not cause of the quality or strength but more due to the price. We have made some magazines and they were pretty strong with our custom digital abs mix, they are $40+ one off magazines though. So if the material cost dropped to that of injection molded plastics I would buy them.
The only good zombie is the one with a hole thru its forehead.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:31 pm

TODP wrote:
ineffableone wrote:I might however in the future buy a mag pdf blueprint, to use in a 3D printer to print up my own mags. Thus enabling me to print out as many mags as I want, when I want.
Technically there isn't even the need for you to buy blueprints from anyone. A disassembled mag and a 3 D scanner (which can even be homemade) is really all you need.

This whole 3D printing thing is bound to produce a shitstorm of copyright and patent issues in the very near future. This will be entertaining to watch.
Yes but scanning means having bought one previously. I would imagine it might be easier to buy a blueprint file than have to do the scanning.

I agree the advent of 3D printing is going to make for a lot of entertaining drama. Already the 3D printed guns and mags are creating drama. Even with all this showing up, places are still trying to put round limits on mags. Soon enough it will be impossible to regulate how big a mag someone has available to them.

As you mention the copywrite laws will have huge issues with people being able to copy pretty much anything they have access to.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:49 pm

ineffableone wrote: As you mention the copywrite laws will have huge issues with people being able to copy pretty much anything they have access to.
Initially, I think you're right in that there are going to be tons of copyright issues. But, as production is democratized I bet those same smart designers will make their stuff open source and find a different way to monetize it, or perhaps some sort of subscription based service (Netflix for parts?). The next 10-20 years are going to be super cool.

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 am

If by 3d printed you mean selective laser sintering...

Abuhin

Post by Abuhin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:37 pm

How about 3D printed moon clips? Can they make them that slim? And what's the best material?
Disclaimer: For anonymity and security's sake, this poster may alter, omit, or fabricate details of his personal life and circumstances.

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:56 pm

Interesting subject. I would buy the mags of the price point and reliability were competitive and on par with other mags (just like any product comparison).

I am not well versed in this subject so I have to ask: If your going to mass produce something wouldn't it still be cheaper to use the injection molding process over 3D printing (from a non-consumer standpoint)? I would think that if you had an injection setup that could do multiple products in a single run it would win out every time. Maybe use the 3D printer to make the molds?

I do understand the utility of an individual having the printer though and being able to pump out whatever they would like as long as they have a blueprint for it. Now we just need a consumer device that can etch a circuit board, pick/place components and run through a small SMT oven.... :)

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:08 pm

spanningtree wrote:Interesting subject. I would buy the mags of the price point and reliability were competitive and on par with other mags (just like any product comparison).

I am not well versed in this subject so I have to ask: If your going to mass produce something wouldn't it still be cheaper to use the injection molding process over 3D printing (from a non-consumer standpoint)? I would think that if you had an injection setup that could do multiple products in a single run it would win out every time. Maybe use the 3D printer to make the molds?

I do understand the utility of an individual having the printer though and being able to pump out whatever they would like as long as they have a blueprint for it. Now we just need a consumer device that can etch a circuit board, pick/place components and run through a small SMT oven.... :)
From a non consumer standpoint you still have to take into account everything. The large space and electricity needed to run the heater and hydraulic rams of an injection molding machine plus the motor running the screw that injects the plastic. Plus the cost of getting the molds made (cheap Chinese molds can run in the $4,000-$5000 range sometimes IIRC). The rule of thumb that we use when making products is:

1-100 pieces :prototype 3D print
100< pieces: injection molded

The only exception is really small small stuff or multilateral parts that require clear and solid colors to contrast or rubber overmolds

strm_trpr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Evil Dead, Dawn of the dead

Post by strm_trpr » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:25 am

Buy, No. But if I had access to one I would make some esspecialy if the polymers got better and the printers got cheaper.
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand~

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:46 pm

I don't like buying anything until they've been around for a awhile, have been independently reviewed, and have had any problems worked out of the first couple of runs. That being said, if it is a competitive option, then it would have my interest.

To be competitive against a $10-$16 pmag, it would have to be very groundbreaking.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

eeb

Post by eeb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:27 am

For an AR, there are plenty of other, proven options. For something with less aftermarket support, you might be onto something. I'm thinking of increased capacity mags for Rem 7600s or 700s with detatchable box magazines.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

TrippyJoey

Post by TrippyJoey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:21 pm

eeb wrote:For an AR, there are plenty of other, proven options. For something with less aftermarket support, you might be onto something. I'm thinking of increased capacity mags for Rem 7600s or 700s with detatchable box magazines.
What capacity, and how much would you consider a fair price for such magazine?

eeb

Post by eeb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:20 pm

For a slide-action 7600 (that I don't have yet) maybe in .308, I'd say 20rd would be a good number to start. The OEM mags I've seen seem to start at the $50 range,but I haven't been looking that hard. JMHO

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:48 pm

eeb wrote:For an AR, there are plenty of other, proven options. For something with less aftermarket support, you might be onto something. I'm thinking of increased capacity mags for Rem 7600s or 700s with detatchable box magazines.
I was actually coming at it from the other direction, 5rd (hunting legal) mags for guns like the FAL, AR, & SCAR. However I do like your idea too, can't believe I didn't think of it.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

eeb

Post by eeb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:59 pm

wamba wrote:
I was actually coming at it from the other direction, 5rd (hunting legal) mags for guns like the FAL, AR, & SCAR. However I do like your idea too, can't believe I didn't think of it.
I've got a couple 5rd Promags that seem to work pretty good, paid about $20 or so each during the panic. FAL or G3 mags might be a good idea, though inexpensive conventional mags could most likely be pinned to the appropriate capacity. Again, just my opinion, it seems like the popular applications will already be covered and difficult to compete in, lower volume "oddball" items might take better advantage of 3d printing's versatility.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”