Role playing, 5kg--What are you taking?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Waywatcher

Role playing, 5kg--What are you taking?

Post by Waywatcher » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:23 pm

ZPAW has happened. Unfortunately, your other plans have failed, and you are bugging out on foot. Your backpack--stuffed with food, shelter, water purification, hatchet and knife. There is no more room in your pack; all your ammo and guns must be on you somehow, pockets, bandoliers, mag pouches, whatever. You are already burdened with your heavy load, and even thinking about adding another 5kg (11lb) sounds like torture, but you also know you won't last long without firearms.

Count all firearms, accessories, slings, holsters, pouches, ammo, magazines against this 5kg (11lb) weight limit. I encourage to pick from what you actually have.

What are you taking?

I am bringing:
20 gauge Remington 870, 18" barrel, 30 rounds #3 buckshot, 10 rounds #6 birdshot, 10 rounds 3/4oz slug, two nylon bandoliers that each hold 25 shotshells. Shotgun loaded with buckshot.
Ruger LCR, Crimson Trace Lasergrips, 10 rounds Speer GDHP SB, one Bianchi Speed Strip.

I thought about my AR Carbine, but all said and done it only ends up with about 90 rounds, not substantial enough for me to pick it. The additional range from the cartridge is moot, in my opinion, because long distance biters can be avoided. I also thought about a Pistol, but couldn't figure out a way to carry loads of ammo. However, buckshot, patterned from my shotty could easily knock down 2-3 biters if they're 15-25 yards away and in close proximity to each other. (#3 buck launches twenty .25 cal projectiles, and my gun fills up a 8.5x11 at 5 yards.) The slugs give me 25-75 yard reach, and the #6 shot can be used for small game or point-blank zombies. My LCR is so light that it's almost silly to leave it behind, and it makes a great short range back up.

ArmchairRacer

Re: Role playing, 5kg--What are you taking?

Post by ArmchairRacer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Stuff I have, Ruger 10/22, 1 10rnd mag and 2 25rnd mags, 300 more rounds in a stuff sack. And a Bersa Thunder with about a 100 rnds and a couple magazines, that should work out to less than 5 kg.

If I have have stuff that I don't currently have then it'd be a Ruger LCR with about 200 rnds of .38 +P JHP and a Ruta Locura PRK with 400 rnds of 22lr high velocity, this works out to just under 5 kg.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Based on OP's logic (that zeds are the only threat) then I'm taking the .22/45.

22/45: 22.8oz (dry, thread protector removed)
Can: 6.8oz
That's .84kg, leaves a lot of extra weight for ammo.

Sure, I don't get to rely on shot to "knock down" anything but maybe that's a good thing.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:27 am

Well my 7600P, with the modifcations I've done probably weigh around 3.5kg... Each loaded mag weights about 460g from memory. Call it half a kg.... So I can bring my main rifle with 30 rounds in 3 magazines. Yep, I'm fucked.

Alternatively I could bring my single barrel 12g and a couple 25shell bandoleers of mixed shells.

I've got a ruger mk3 on order that probably weighs about 1kg, 4kg of .22LR is a lot of ammo
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Waywatcher

Post by Waywatcher » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:34 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Based on OP's logic (that zeds are the only threat) then I'm taking the .22/45.

Sure, I don't get to rely on shot to "knock down" anything but maybe that's a good thing.
Are you sure Zeds are the only threat? I didn't say as much.

Also, how are you carrying your ammo? Count the weight of the carrier against your weight limit, and remember there is no more room in your backpack.
aus.templar wrote:Well my 7600P, with the modifcations I've done probably weigh around 3.5kg... Each loaded mag weights about 460g from memory. Call it half a kg.... So I can bring my main rifle with 30 rounds in 3 magazines. Yep, I'm fucked.

Alternatively I could bring my single barrel 12g and a couple 25shell bandoleers of mixed shells.

I've got a ruger mk3 on order that probably weighs about 1kg, 4kg of .22LR is a lot of ammo
How are you carrying the ammo? 4kg of .22lr is about 1000 rounds, but what pockets, or duffel bag are you putting it in? Make sure to count the weight of the ammo carrying device, so your 4kg might be reduced depending on how you figure out to carry it.

PrairieRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Hide and Creep", redneck humor in a hick town.

Post by PrairieRat » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:02 am

Similar to Doc Fab... except, NEF Sportster wearing H&R Survivor stocks. Fishing gear in the forearm, 250 rds of ammo, compass, magnesium fire-starter & small knife in stock. Pistol grip has a space blanket in it. Want the can, but haven't done anythig about it yet. Unit weighs about 7 lbs, so 4 lbs of extra ammo :).
Why survive with a knife, when you can thrive with an axe?
wy7ac

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Waywatcher wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Based on OP's logic (that zeds are the only threat) then I'm taking the .22/45.

Are you sure Zeds are the only threat? I didn't say as much.

Also, how are you carrying your ammo? Count the weight of the carrier against your weight limit, and remember there is no more room in your backpack.
The 22/45 has almost the same operational envelope as an 18" 20ga, but quieter. If people with guns are a threat, then it's back to the AR. I'd have to weigh the shorty to figure out how much extra ammo I need.

No room in my ruck? We're moving the goalposts already?

Waywatcher

Post by Waywatcher » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: The 22/45 has almost the same operational envelope as an 18" 20ga, but quieter. If people with guns are a threat, then it's back to the AR. I'd have to weigh the shorty to figure out how much extra ammo I need.

No room in the ruck. That part was in my OP; no moving goalposts.

It's up to you to decide if you think people with guns will or won't be a threat. My opinion is, yes, generally, but not my primary concern. I'm not saying my 870 is the best--it's just what I decided I would grab after some deliberation and weight numbers crunching. It's a pound lighter than my Colt 6920 and it ends up with only 29 fewer rounds (84 vs 55).
Last edited by Waywatcher on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:30 pm

Waywatcher wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: The 22/45 has almost the same operational envelope as an 18" 20ga, but quieter. If people with guns are a threat, then it's back to the AR. I'd have to weigh the shorty to figure out how much extra ammo I need.

No room in the ruck. That part was in my OP; no moving goalposts.

It's up to you to decide if you think people with guns will or won't be a threat. My opinion is, yes, generally, but not my primary concern.
I'm using my pockets then. YOU SAID NOTHING ABOUT MY HAMMER PANTS!

Waywatcher

Post by Waywatcher » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:34 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'm using my pockets then. YOU SAID NOTHING ABOUT MY HAMMER PANTS!
Can your pants hold 9 pounds of .22lr in their pockets?

Dahrkstorm

Post by Dahrkstorm » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Based off of current firearms that I own I would be taking my GP-100 with three speedloaders and 198 rd of .38 158gr sjhp. I am carrying it all in a cross body shoulder carry bag. The bag has a velcro pocket to hold my pistol, a main pouch to hold the boxed ammo, another that will hold the speedloaders and a small pouch that will hold any loose rounds I have. In all I just come under the 5 kg limit. My other choices would involve a SxS 12 ga or a .243 scoped bolt action. I feel those wouldn't be as helpful in the situation as dictated by the OP. Renewing food supplies would be taken care of by equipment in my pack as I would rather be silent in catching food.
I am me. Semper Fi

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:32 pm

I have an AR that I built to be lightweight . Carbine gas 14.5 pencil barrel . If memory serves it is right about 6.5 lbs . Swap the sling and rear sight and I could bring it down to six lbs with a light .

Loaded AR mags are about 1lb , so add 5 of those , gives me 150 rounds .

Not too shabby .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

eeb

Post by eeb » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:59 pm

"Unfortunately your plans have failed, and you're stuck with a Mosin Nagant." :awesome:
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:51 am

10/22 now replaces Kalash as my primary rifle :gonk:

Sidearm is a toss-up between G35 and Ruger MkII. Carrying all-Ruger terrifies me far more than carrying all .22LR...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:15 am

Waywatcher wrote:I thought about my AR Carbine, but all said and done it only ends up with about 90 rounds, not substantial enough for me to pick it.
But if I read your post correctly, you've only got what, 50 rounds of 20ga? I'm still liking the AR. I went a little lighter on my last build, and I might be able to squeeze in a 4th magazine; either way, I think it'll get me to where I need to be. I'd like to say I'd go with the Glock, but there's a lot of wide open out here, and if I have to actually shoot anything, I might need a little more reach.

SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Waywatcher

Post by Waywatcher » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:42 am

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:But if I read your post correctly, you've only got what, 50 rounds of 20ga? I'm still liking the AR. I went a little lighter on my last build, and I might be able to squeeze in a 4th magazine; either way, I think it'll get me to where I need to be. I'd like to say I'd go with the Glock, but there's a lot of wide open out here, and if I have to actually shoot anything, I might need a little more reach.
I did some more weight research and numbers crunching, and I'm quite sure I could squeeze in 5 more rounds, bringing my total to 55. This is still less than 90, obviously. My AO is a healthy mix between forest and farmland, and I don't feel the shorter range would be a significant handicap to me. The slugs can still reach out to 75 yards or so. If I had only one long gun, this is what I would pick. I'm not saying it's the best, end-all be-all choice; just what I would grab. I'd be able to small game hunt, medium game hunt, and defend with it.

Revised load out:
20 gauge Remington 870, 18" barrel, 25 rounds #3 buckshot, 20 rounds #6 birdshot, 10 rounds 3/4oz slug, two nylon bandoliers that each hold 25 shotshells--bandolier 1 (defense) loaded with 20 buck/5 slug; bandolier 2 (hunting) loaded with 20 bird/5 slug. Shotgun loaded with buckshot.

Ruger LCR, Crimson Trace Lasergrips, 10 rounds Speer GDHP SB, one Bianchi Speed Strip.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:55 am

Gotcha. It wasn't quite making sense, but I think I see where you're coming from now. :)
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:23 am

my retro ( E.A. co. j-15 SP-1 clone) m-16a1 build, and a bandolier of five 20 round mags. 6.5 loaded and 4.5 respectively.

Waywatcher

Post by Waywatcher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I have been convinced.

I spent some time at the range patterning my shotgun with various loads at various distances. I think the #3 buckshot has a realistic 15 yard effective range; at that distance 10/20 pellets were on a 8.5x11. (At 20 yards, there were only 3/20 hits!) Pretty much the same for the birdshot; 20 yards had rabbit/squirrel sized holes in the pattern, but 15 yards had good coverage. This was all from my 18" cylinder bore.

I am revising my loadout to:

--Colt M4 Sporter, VCAS sling, Ergo Gapper, two NHMTG 30 round magazines, and 96 rounds of Winchester RA556B. (28 per mag and 2 spare boxes.)
--Ruger LCR, Crimson Trace laser grips, Bianchi Speed Strip, 10 rounds of Speer GDHP SB.

Dropping to two USGI mags saved some weight and allowed me to get a few more rounds of better ammo. :clap:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”