Role Playing- what type of gun would you choose?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Which do you choose?

Handgun
47%
Shotgun
5%
Bolt Action 223
40%
Saiga 308
9%

Total votes: 101

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Re: Role Playing- what type of gun would you choose?

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:36 pm

My knee-jerk reaction would be for the 700, but if I were putting my skills to use, it would be unfair of me to choose to play wall sniper all day instead of doing much-needed handywork. The handgun would be best for a worker on the inside of the stronghold, where range isn't as important, and you'd never need to put it down to reach into an engine bay, which is good because it's mandatory to always have it on your person and ready. I'd be confident that I'd be better with it than someone unaccustomed to guns who would be better served by the bolt action, even if they weren't a great shot, they could at least keep watch through the scope, and they wouldn't waste too much ammo during a panic. Really, I'd take the last gun that nobody else wanted, because everyone should at least feel comfortable with their gun even if (especially if) they don't have experience with guns.
Waywatcher wrote:For the next poll thread, in addition to changing the shotty to a 20 gauge, I think the bolt should be in a big game caliber since that is most common in the US, and I'd replace the saiga rifle with a standard mini 14 with its 5 round mag. I imagine the poll results would be much more split, even if the shotgun still loses. :v:
We should get a list of guns from TWD and try this poll. I always had a lot of respect for Dale (the old man with the RV), looking harmless in his shorts and tiki shirt, never actually doing anything with his hunting rifle, until you thought about how he never put it down, was always in the best position for the type of enemy he was up against, up on the roof of his camper with binoculars. That dude was a survivor, always switched on.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:26 pm

I'd take the pistol because of it offering the max number of rounds. Zombies aren't a threat until they get within arm's reach, so I don't need the longer range of a rifle. :awesome:

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Sledgecrowbar wrote:That dude was a survivor, always switched on.
Except when he wasn't. :cry:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Sledgecrowbar wrote:That dude was a survivor, always switched on.
Except when he wasn't. :cry:
I blame the whole dumb group of people he was with for his demise. It makes me feel better.

ETA: by posts the handgun has surpassed the rifle by two votes. Don't forget to vote. I figured the 700 would get the lion's share of votes, like I imagine most other folks did, but we seem to have come to an agreement that the handgun, arguably the weakest weapon, is also the most useful against zombies simply because a gun is worth shit without ammo. By that logic, a .22 is best, but I think we all know the disadvantages there. I know I'm reconsidering my AR as the last worldly possession I will part with, right after underpants.
Last edited by Sledgecrowbar on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

devolutionz

Post by devolutionz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:59 pm

I'd go for the handgun
-has the most rounds
-easy to use in areas where you would need it the most from 5-25 yards.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:05 am

The op never said the gun was to only be used to defend the town or to hunt Zombies, the undead shamblers.

The town even tells you you can live outside the town.

Pistols will not help me hunt as well as the .223 rifle will. Any meat I bring into the city is a chance to trade for more equipment or other food.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:32 am

MacAttack wrote:The op never said the gun was to only be used to defend the town or to hunt Zombies, the undead shamblers.

The town even tells you you can live outside the town.

Pistols will not help me hunt as well as the .223 rifle will. Any meat I bring into the city is a chance to trade for more equipment or other food.
That would depend on your AO. Pennsylvania thick mountain laurels will make the .223 less interesting considering that gun safety says you should identify your target and not shoot through brush. PA also has laws about using handguns (revolvers or single-shot) for hunting. So if your range is shortened by obstructions to your LOS, a pistol is a perfectly good alternative. I'm not sure what the laws are where this scenario is being played out. Maybe they allow semis for hunting.

Revolvers for hunting Page 31: http://www.statehuntandfishregs.com/PA/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:02 pm

You could use a manual centerfire rifle in Penn for some game as long as the bullets are either hollow point expanding or all lead.

You can also use an AR15 in Ohio on some game. Though mainly on the nuisance animals like coyotes, ground hogs, boar and such.

In most states the most restrictions are placed on the most popular game animals. Like deer.

But we are talking about a place with the walking dead. Hunting laws might be a little relaxed at that point.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:49 am

MacAttack wrote:You could use a manual centerfire rifle in Penn for some game as long as the bullets are either hollow point expanding or all lead.

You can also use an AR15 in Ohio on some game. Though mainly on the nuisance animals like coyotes, ground hogs, boar and such.

In most states the most restrictions are placed on the most popular game animals. Like deer.

But we are talking about a place with the walking dead. Hunting laws might be a little relaxed at that point.
Naughty naughty... no talking about breaking laws on the forum.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:22 am

The surviving local government could chose to relax them.

In fact they would have to.
They would have to either accept that the Zombies are still people but only sick. And thus needing medical treatment and protections. No killing them. Thats murder.
Or they would have to claim them as a nuisance and a pest species and declare open season on them.

I think they would take the later route and make things easier on themselves.
And since they are changing local hunting laws they mine as well change the general hunting rules and allow greatly expanded hunting. That way feral dogs, cats and hogs can be kept in check. And also so people could have a better chance of acquiring food for themselves and others.

So yes there is a very high probability that any surviving local government will change the local hunting laws. Its the best way to ensure survival.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Beretta 92.
-most ammo, shoot the most things
-semi auto + 2 magazines with largest capacity, shoot things the fastest
-lightest firearm, move the fastest, fatigue less, there's no reason it wouldn't be my hip at all time
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Sledgecrowbar

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:11 pm

I actually forgot it was a Beretta. I stay with my choice, but I guess now it also has the advantage that if you run out of ammo, you can still use it to nail a house together.
Brotherbadger wrote:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:27 am

Hey Everyone:

I chose the pistol right off the bat with out reading what the choices were.

Odinsown

rjm

Post by rjm » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:50 pm

PistolPete wrote:For strictly purposes of discussion, please consider the following scenario.

The zombie apocalypse has happened. Sadly, you were knocked unconscious by an explosion early on and spent the first two weeks unconscious. When you are recovered you are offered some basic supplies by the governing council of the local town. Much like the US government offered land to homesteaders, they have chosen to offer food and a firearm to anyone who comes to their town, and the option of occupying a deserted dwelling in town or striking off on your own. They figure the more people who can fight off the zombies the better
Too easy to derail this. I cannot imagine any scenario (including full fledged outbreak) where the government would willingly give anyone a gun. For argument's sake, I'd imagine almost any gun would serve you well enough, long enough to get you to the next gun someone dropped, to be viable; assuming we really were in a situation where there were more guns lying around than people. Of course I'm not talking looting or anything like that pos Taylor Smith on Doomsday Preppers advocated.
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:44 pm

rjm wrote:Too easy to derail this. I cannot imagine any scenario (including full fledged outbreak) where the government would willingly give anyone a gun. For argument's sake, I'd imagine almost any gun would serve you well enough, long enough to get you to the next gun someone dropped, to be viable; assuming we really were in a situation where there were more guns lying around than people. Of course I'm not talking looting or anything like that pos Taylor Smith on Doomsday Preppers advocated.
I don't know about that. The U.S, Government handed a lot of rifles to people in Western Alaska during WWII.

Also, I imagine a lot of current attitudes and beliefs might go out the window during ZPAW. My cousin attended anti-gun rallies in Florida but when he came up to Alaska to work at my uncle's mine he became best friends with a shotgun pretty quick.

If I haven't already posted, I would pick the handgun.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:30 pm

rjm wrote:
PistolPete wrote:For strictly purposes of discussion, please consider the following scenario.

The zombie apocalypse has happened. Sadly, you were knocked unconscious by an explosion early on and spent the first two weeks unconscious. When you are recovered you are offered some basic supplies by the governing council of the local town. Much like the US government offered land to homesteaders, they have chosen to offer food and a firearm to anyone who comes to their town, and the option of occupying a deserted dwelling in town or striking off on your own. They figure the more people who can fight off the zombies the better
Too easy to derail this. I cannot imagine any scenario (including full fledged outbreak) where the government would willingly give anyone a gun. For argument's sake, I'd imagine almost any gun would serve you well enough, long enough to get you to the next gun someone dropped, to be viable; assuming we really were in a situation where there were more guns lying around than people. Of course I'm not talking looting or anything like that pos Taylor Smith on Doomsday Preppers advocated.
BTW OP states "the governing council of the local town" is handing out the supplies/firearms, which IMO is not the federal government, but more likely the non elected leadership of survivors [NELS, you know, the guys with guns to give, who are probably the ones with all the good firearms w/ unlimited ammo so they can stay in control]
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”