Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

zobmiedown

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:55 am

Went shooting last weekend with three buddies of mine. I told them if they bought the ammo they could shoot my weapons. Two of them have a couple of their own weapons with the one having an sks, 9mm, 380 that he has had for a couple of years now and never fired and only fired his XD45 one time with me two years ago. The other one has a mini-14 a new xd9mm and a 22 single action revolver and he has fired them about three time before. The third one works at big-5 so they brought lots of ammo. I let them fire my HOWA 1500's in .223 and 308, the AR and XDSC40 I just got back fro the Sheriffs dept, MY xd45, xdm40, rossi lever action carbine in 357 and rossi 357 revolver.

The good news is that I am the only one that reloads so I got all the casings. About 1000 .223 and a couple of hundred for each of the other calibers. We decided we should do this at least once a month which means I now have a steady supply of once fired brass to reload with and I get more trigger time myself. Not to mention the place we go shooting is getting cleaned up every time we go (people used to dump trash there and leave casings all over the place). We talked to some other people that showed up out there and they are interested in every one getting together to clean up the place completely and building some target stands at known distances. So it looks like we will slowly be building a nice range that not to many people know about. One of the other guys that showed up has a tractor and I do as well so we briefly talked about getting the tractors out there and building some good berms/backstops.
Regulators mount up.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:03 pm

I can't find the RIP 9mm ammo thread but yeah, this looks weak sauce to me.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:
"Boy do I have a deal for you fellas!"

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Just bought my first set of electronic earmuffs. I'm sitting in my living room watching TV and clapping. Even my cat is looking down on me.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:

Not impressed
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

raxar

Post by raxar » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:38 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Almost bought a Savage Model 1905 pistol the other day, but I ended up not getting it.

One reason was I had no idea if the gun was even safe to fire due to age and another was the cost of mags for it. Last I found a mag for a Model 1905, the company that had it wanted 50 bucks for it.

Still, it was a nice gun and had I not needed to buy a new TV, I'd be sitting here with a really old pistol trying to find cheaper mags for it. :lol:
You dirty sumbitch, you go back there right now and buy it. If I came across one of those things for $50 I'd slam the money down on the counter so hard it would break the glass.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:31 pm

raxar wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Almost bought a Savage Model 1905 pistol the other day, but I ended up not getting it.

One reason was I had no idea if the gun was even safe to fire due to age and another was the cost of mags for it. Last I found a mag for a Model 1905, the company that had it wanted 50 bucks for it.

Still, it was a nice gun and had I not needed to buy a new TV, I'd be sitting here with a really old pistol trying to find cheaper mags for it. :lol:
You dirty sumbitch, you go back there right now and buy it. If I came across one of those things for $50 I'd slam the money down on the counter so hard it would break the glass.
Nah, the gun wasn't 50 bucks. The magazines were 50 bucks.

The gun was 200 bucks and I'm strongly thinking of going back to get it.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 pm

My ammo got delivered in today...I desperatelyneed more 9mm and more 12 gauge...plus maybe another 500-1500 of plinker grade .223:

I also could use more duty grade 5.56 as I've only got 140 rounds of M193 loaded in mags and on strippers

SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:32 pm

New article up. This one is about VFGs
http://www.breachbangclear.com/site/10- ... stick.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some pics are skewed for some reason. Apparently getting taken care of though
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 pm

Very nice write up! Informative and enjoyable.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:56 pm

Rogue45 wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:

Not impressed
Yea, that looks like a terrible, terrible round. :ohdear:
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:18 am

Merovech wrote:Yea, that looks like a terrible, terrible round. :ohdear:
No, it looks awesome as hell. It's a boolet with spikes. Can't ask for cooler looks than that. It just performs worse than that Twilight chick.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:34 am

Dave_M wrote:New article up. This one is about VFGs
http://www.breachbangclear.com/site/10- ... stick.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some pics are skewed for some reason. Apparently getting taken care of though
Nice write-up Dave. I likely will continue on without a VFG, but that's because slick is how I role. The only attachments I have are a sling and a light. I'm not cool enough for anything else, though a red dot will be added at some point. But, you put a large purchase item into a good light and showed some of it's usefulness. aside from personal wrist strengthening exercises.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:05 am

welp may as well post my entry here too

http://www.bulkammo.com/rifle/bulk-.223-ammo#contest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

free ammo is free.

Good article dave. Nice to see you getting some exposure on that site lately.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Picked up a new toy for the range! :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:12 pm

So I think its just easier and cheaper to buy ammo online then go in to Wal-Mart each week.

Walmart- 5.27 and 10.56 plus 8-9.5% tax for tula .223 and 9mm respectively, limited to three boxes per person per day of all calibers, meaning I'd have to mix and match

CTD- 4.99 and 9.19 for the same ammo, plus 20-30 bucks shipping depending on how much I buy

Its a 20 minute drive into Wal-Mart so there is about 4-5 bucks each way for gas, wear and tear on my truck plus my time.

So you figure in about .50 cents to a $1.00+ more per box, plus tax, plus gas for as many trips as it takes to get the same amount at Wal-Mart versus shipping...it about equals out. It might be a bit more expensive, but still saves me gas.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm still surprised that anyone buys from CTD. I guess I shouldn't be, they didn't offend every last person yet. I know it was said that people would forget all about how shitty some places got during the height of the panic just like they did after the last panic, but I haven't found that I'm hurting at all after giving up on more than one source and staying true to it.

/Countdown to someone coming along again whining about free market economy.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:37 pm

the firearm blog had a commercial/article for these ramrodz q-tip things today

http://www.amazon.com/RamRodz-38-9mm-Ca ... ds=ramrodz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... h-cleaner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I might buy a bag of them next time I run out of q-tips so I don't get hollered at for using up all the q-tips :lol:

Fits in a cleaning rod, different sizes (got my attention there for the bigger sizes to use as a chamber mop essentially). Pricing doesn't piss me off. Sounds ok to me :words:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

eeb

Post by eeb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:45 pm

I still order from CTD on occasion, some of the prices are pretty good, other stuff can be found cheaper elsewhere. I do try to avoid supporting New York, New Jersey, Connecticut,( basically most ofNew England is suspect) or California businesses, other than firearms firms.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 pm

TheLastOne wrote:the firearm blog had a commercial/article for these ramrodz q-tip things today

http://www.amazon.com/RamRodz-38-9mm-Ca ... ds=ramrodz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... h-cleaner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I might buy a bag of them next time I run out of q-tips so I don't get hollered at for using up all the q-tips :lol:

Fits in a cleaning rod, different sizes (got my attention there for the bigger sizes to use as a chamber mop essentially). Pricing doesn't piss me off. Sounds ok to me :words:
Or you could buy your own q-tips. I was loading my apathy cannon when I saw that they run $10 for a bag of 200*, actually not that bad for what is essentially a patch (sans jag but still sized) on a pistol rod. I'm all for using a patch until it's too dirty to clean anymore, so being able to clean the entire gun with one piece is a plus for me. Not having a handle wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it meant I could do a full cleaning on the tailgate at the range and just have to re-pack my trusty squeeze bottle of Ed's Red (loving that stuff now). Not as awesome for rifles, but they seem to have skipped .30-caliber which makes me think they know that. I feel like if I have to drag out my cleaning rod anyway, it's not saving me effort just to have patches already on jags.

I think I'll pick up a bag to test, maybe toss it in the BOB FAK as dual-purpose and pat myself on the back ;)

*Just saw that while all bags are $10, not all calibers contain 200. Still not bad, I checked the price of standard doctor's office long swabs and the .22 swabs seem to be similarly priced. If anyone has those swabs, give them a shot down your .22 pistol and see if they work.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:13 am

This shotgun:

In my opinion, is not "tactical" at all.

I think ya'll can find a common theme in my posts lately: I'm kinda disenchanted/disenfranchised with competitve shooting/sports. When I first joined this forum, I was really hot and heavy into USPSA and IDPA. Looking back now, it seems like so much of "can't see the forrest for the trees". There are more and more things that I see or have seen that just make me shake my head.

Anyways... Put some poly on the grips just to make the grain "pop":

Guns are icky!

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:18 am

Help me help a friend, Firearms chat!

A buddy has been trying to find magazines for his Gevarm 22 for a few years now, with no luck. We've tried all the usual suspects, but to no avail. Anyone out there have any ideas where to find some?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:41 am

kbilly84 wrote:Help me help a friend, Firearms chat!

A buddy has been trying to find magazines for his Gevarm 22 for a few years now, with no luck. We've tried all the usual suspects, but to no avail. Anyone out there have any ideas where to find some?
I know nothing about them, but Blue Ridge and Triple K both list them.

Midway or so down the page, just control+F gevarm because the make is listed as "French" and it's a bitch to find just by scrolling.
http://www.blueridgegunparts.com/rifle.html

Triple K is nicer, but a hair more expensive. Direct link.
http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/1494/
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 am

chills1994 wrote:This shotgun:

In my opinion, is not "tactical" at all.

I think ya'll can find a common theme in my posts lately: I'm kinda disenchanted/disenfranchised with competitve shooting/sports. When I first joined this forum, I was really hot and heavy into USPSA and IDPA. Looking back now, it seems like so much of "can't see the forrest for the trees". There are more and more things that I see or have seen that just make me shake my head.

Anyways... Put some poly on the grips just to make the grain "pop":

I've always wondered about those type of shotty sertups...doesn't the blast and muzzle flash eventually damange the extended tube?

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”