Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Maverick299 wrote:
chills1994 wrote:
Maverick299 wrote:I got to shoot a STI 2011 "Executive" the other day............all I can say is if you ever have the chance to shoot one of these, do it!

A .40 that recoiled less than a 9mm. I've honestly shot some of those lightweight plastic .22's that recoil harder than this did. Trigger and reset was incredible. After about 6 shots to figure out my aiming point it was down right easy to bang a IDPA steel plate at 100 yards. Smooth as silk!

It must have been somebody who shoots USPSA because that is the very definition of a "racegun" or gamer gun". Part of the reason it shot so flat for you is because of the full length dust cover and the bull barrel, and it might have had a tungsten full length guide rod.

It is hard to tell from those pics, but is that stainless steel, or hard chrome? Stainless being heavier anyway.

EDIT: for those who don't know, the darker gray areas on that gun are all plastic/polymer. The dust cover part and the rails are still steel though. With double stack mags and the right mag bases, you can get about 21 rounds of .40 in the gun.

The guy who currently owns it doesn't shoot competition, he just got it on a trade I think. His plans are to convert it over to 9mm (I was pushing for .38 super) and get a Osprey suppressor to throw on it. With the beefed up slide on the STI's the Osprey should match up pretty close with it and look sick as hell!
I dunno why he'd convert it to 9mm. Forty costs a hair more, but compare the price of a .40 cal subsonic to 9mm. Less of a difference if you handload, I guess.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:16 pm

Maverick299 wrote:I got to shoot a STI 2011 "Executive" the other day............all I can say is if you ever have the chance to shoot one of these, do it!

A .40 that recoiled less than a 9mm. I've honestly shot some of those lightweight plastic .22's that recoil harder than this did. Trigger and reset was incredible. After about 6 shots to figure out my aiming point it was down right easy to bang a IDPA steel plate at 100 yards. Smooth as silk!

My old .45 STI Duty One is the 1911-style pistol that I shoot the most. It doesn't care what ammo or mags I use, it just runs and runs and runs. I would describe it as "shooting laser beams", but you do have to kinda lob those "big & slow" boolitz in at 100 yards. :crazy:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Maverick299 wrote:
chills1994 wrote:

It must have been somebody who shoots USPSA because that is the very definition of a "racegun" or gamer gun". Part of the reason it shot so flat for you is because of the full length dust cover and the bull barrel, and it might have had a tungsten full length guide rod.

It is hard to tell from those pics, but is that stainless steel, or hard chrome? Stainless being heavier anyway.

EDIT: for those who don't know, the darker gray areas on that gun are all plastic/polymer. The dust cover part and the rails are still steel though. With double stack mags and the right mag bases, you can get about 21 rounds of .40 in the gun.

The guy who currently owns it doesn't shoot competition, he just got it on a trade I think. His plans are to convert it over to 9mm (I was pushing for .38 super) and get a Osprey suppressor to throw on it. With the beefed up slide on the STI's the Osprey should match up pretty close with it and look sick as hell!
I dunno why he'd convert it to 9mm. Forty costs a hair more, but compare the price of a .40 cal subsonic to 9mm. Less of a difference if you handload, I guess.
1. He isn't the type of guy to leave something alone
2. He isn't a fan of .40
3. More capacity with 9mm
4. Money isn't an issue
5. So he can swap the can between that and another 9mm 1911 project
6. Because he can :wink:
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Maverick299 wrote: 1. He isn't the type of guy to leave something alone
2. He isn't a fan of .40
4. Money isn't an issue
I guess. Don't see too much of a point to 9mm or .40 cal cans, when a .45 can will get the same job done, be about the same size and weight and cost, and you never have to go "damn, now I have to buy another can."

Saying that, I have a 9mm 3-lug can because it came wth a certain gun, and I constantly fight the urge to buy Moar Gats that are 3-lug compatible.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Maverick299 wrote: 1. He isn't the type of guy to leave something alone
2. He isn't a fan of .40
4. Money isn't an issue
I guess. Don't see too much of a point to 9mm or .40 cal cans, when a .45 can will get the same job done, be about the same size and weight and cost, and you never have to go "damn, now I have to buy another can."

Saying that, I have a 9mm 3-lug can because it came wth a certain gun, and I constantly fight the urge to buy Moar Gats that are 3-lug compatible.

It helps when you are a manufacturer and you can order F/A stuff and suppressors directly without having to do all tax stamp waiting list crap. It makes playing around with project idea's infinitely easier and then when you are ready to dump them you just call up the local sheriffs office or SWAT director and say "You should stop by and check out my new toys I have for sale" :wink:
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Anyone have an idea on how much Atlantic Firearms charges for shipping on firearms ?

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:07 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Anyone have an idea on how much Atlantic Firearms charges for shipping on firearms ?
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/howtobuy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regular Rifles to Continental United States: $30 if you buy multiple rifles on the same order we will ship for one Flat rate of $30.00 .
Regular Rifles to Alaska or Hawaii: $75 per firearm
Oversize rifles: $65.00 per rifle (this will be denoted in the item description)
:)
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

raxar

Post by raxar » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:58 pm

zobmiedown wrote:The wires make these rounds useless. Anything that snags the wire in flight guarantees the main projectile will be yanked off target. In the woods hunting every tree branch would be the down fall of any shot fired. Not to mention on battle field where all kinds of debris are present including barbed with post sticks branches and rubble. Hell as a self defense round in your home it would get snagged on your belongings and in the parking lot at Wal-Mart by vehicle mirrors.
I hadn't thought of that but you have a good point. OTOH it's the perfect round if you live on a lake and the burglars try to get away on a tiny sailboat.

They cost $5 a round for the .45 and $6 a round for the 12 gauge, so it would probably be cheaper just to have your TV stolen.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:02 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Anyone have an idea on how much Atlantic Firearms charges for shipping on firearms ?
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/howtobuy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regular Rifles to Continental United States: $30 if you buy multiple rifles on the same order we will ship for one Flat rate of $30.00 .
Regular Rifles to Alaska or Hawaii: $75 per firearm
Oversize rifles: $65.00 per rifle (this will be denoted in the item description)
:)
Thanks, Monkey. :)

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:23 pm

:mrgreen:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:13 pm

is it still possible to find .40 cal mags for the Ruger P91DC's My dad has one I'd like to buy off him and it only has two 10 round mags, I'd like at least 1 more.

I've looked everywhere but they're out of stock
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:18 pm

raxar wrote:
zobmiedown wrote:The wires make these rounds useless. Anything that snags the wire in flight guarantees the main projectile will be yanked off target. In the woods hunting every tree branch would be the down fall of any shot fired. Not to mention on battle field where all kinds of debris are present including barbed with post sticks branches and rubble. Hell as a self defense round in your home it would get snagged on your belongings and in the parking lot at Wal-Mart by vehicle mirrors.
I hadn't thought of that but you have a good point. OTOH it's the perfect round if you live on a lake and the burglars try to get away on a tiny sailboat.

They cost $5 a round for the .45 and $6 a round for the 12 gauge, so it would probably be cheaper just to have your TV stolen.
The website said msrp of $60 per box of .45, but doesn't say how many per box. I'm curious how strong the tethers are, if the outriggers might get ripped off if they hit an obstruction. I certainly won't be stocking up on these or using them for self-defense, but if an LGS gets some in, I might get a box to try on steel targets and water filled 2liter bottles.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:20 pm

eeb wrote:
raxar wrote:

The website said msrp of $60 per box of .45, but doesn't say how many per box. I'm curious how strong the tethers are, if the outriggers might get ripped off if they hit an obstruction. I certainly won't be stocking up on these or using them for self-defense, but if an LGS gets some in, I might get a box to try on steel targets and water filled 2liter bottles.
I guarantee it's between 5 and 20 per box.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:26 pm

0122358 wrote:is it still possible to find .40 cal mags for the Ruger P91DC's My dad has one I'd like to buy off him and it only has two 10 round mags, I'd like at least 1 more.

Will these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-P91-P944- ... 1246334506

http://www.kyimports.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=542
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:10 am

RickOShea wrote:
0122358 wrote:is it still possible to find .40 cal mags for the Ruger P91DC's My dad has one I'd like to buy off him and it only has two 10 round mags, I'd like at least 1 more.

Will these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-P91-P944- ... 1246334506

http://www.kyimports.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=542
Yes I think thanks man
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 am

Laughing hysterically at people begging for magpul SKS and mini 14 mags in the comment sections of all the release stuff about the new magpul AK mags.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

And they are serious!
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:18 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Laughing hysterically at people begging for magpul SKS and mini 14 mags in the comment sections of all the release stuff about the new magpul AK mags.

And they are serious!
Speaking of MagPul AK mags, are they still being made with no metal reinforcement like the Tapco mags or has MagPul fixed that ?

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:44 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:Laughing hysterically at people begging for magpul SKS and mini 14 mags in the comment sections of all the release stuff about the new magpul AK mags.

And they are serious!
Speaking of MagPul AK mags, are they still being made with no metal reinforcement like the Tapco mags or has MagPul fixed that ?
First run no metal.

What I find strange is that Magpul is saying that these magazines will be completely bombproof with no metal reinforcements and then immediately talking about how Gen 2 will be a, 'combat' magazine with the necessary metal reinforcements.

Obviously those two lines of thought don't exactly correlate.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Thanks, Dave.

I'm thinking I'll hold off on buying those MagPul AK mags until they put the metal reinforcements in.

raxar

Post by raxar » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:16 pm

And they are serious!

Well you have to consider that magpul mini-14 mags would be a pretty good option VS tapco or $$$ ruger mags, shit, I wish they'd offer some.

as for the SKS, no, those people are 'tarded.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:18 pm

raxar wrote:

And they are serious!

Well you have to consider that magpul mini-14 mags would be a pretty good option VS tapco or $$$ ruger mags, shit, I wish they'd offer some.

as for the SKS, no, those people are 'tarded.
I kind of want to see magpul mini-14 mags, actually. One of the big reasons I've avoided buying a mini-14 is the mags (the other being I can get or build a good AR for the price of a mini-14)

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Chimp a current striped lower out here is $100, seen some at Ares Armory poly lowers for $50. Seen a PSA full AR kit minus lower for $499.99 so the math says $600 you can have a AR.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:28 pm

Rednex wrote:Chimp a current striped lower out here is $100, seen some at Ares Armory poly lowers for $50. Seen a PSA full AR kit minus lower for $499.99 so the math says $600 you can have a AR.
Yep, which is why the Mini-14 is off the wish list now.

I will have an AR at some point and I might even build it myself.

I know I've got plenty of free time. :lol:

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:19 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Rednex wrote:Chimp a current striped lower out here is $100, seen some at Ares Armory poly lowers for $50. Seen a PSA full AR kit minus lower for $499.99 so the math says $600 you can have a AR.
Yep, which is why the Mini-14 is off the wish list now.

I will have an AR at some point and I might even build it myself.

I know I've got plenty of free time. :lol:

I just watched Cherry 2000, the Mini 14 is back on the wishlist.

0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”