Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:26 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Anybody know if American Spirit Arms makes good stuff ?

A friend of mine is probably going to buy an AR from a co-worker and it's one made by American Spirit Arms. Now, I've never heard of this company so I don't know if they make good stuff or if it's complete crap.
They're okay. About in the middle. Not exactly DD, Noveske or BCM, but not total shit either.

American Spirit is a 90's AZ company that managed to stick around. I don't know what they're like now, but they used to be alright.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Browning 35 wrote:

A friend of mine is probably going to buy an AR from a co-worker and it's one made by American Spirit Arms. Now, I've never heard of this company so I don't know if they make good stuff or if it's complete crap.
They're okay. About in the middle. Not exactly DD, Noveske or BCM, but not total shit either.

American Spirit is a 90's AZ company that managed to stick around. I don't know what they're like now, but they used to be alright.
Thanks, Browning35.

Are the guns better than say a Bushmaster or DPMS AR ? Or are they about equal ?

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:56 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:

Thanks, Browning35.

Are the guns better than say a Bushmaster or DPMS AR ? Or are they about equal ?
With them their QC seemed to shoot up or down, so in all honesty I'd rather have a DPMS or a Bushmaster if I had to buy a brand blind.

They were okay for the 90's, but the 90's was kind of a fucked up decade. They were more in the middle back then, they were better than Hesse, Sendra or PWA. That's not saying much now. Plus the last time I had any hands on with any of their products was '98. They may have gotten way better or way worse since then.

Most of their barrels are 1/9 if I remember right though. Least that's what they were back then.

$550 after the late great panic probably reflects what the current owner thinks of it.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

colinz

Post by colinz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:12 am

My latest ammunition purchase turned up! :clap:

Local re-manufacture, mixed brass, and it was the cheapest .223 I could find at 64c per. Can't wait to see how it shoots. :D

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:05 am

colinz wrote:My latest ammunition purchase turned up! :clap:

Local re-manufacture, mixed brass, and it was the cheapest .223 I could find at 64c per. Can't wait to see how it shoots. :D
I noticed you are in NZ, how hard is it to find ammo? I just mean finding it, not the outrageous prices they may charge. For a while in my AO, 22LR is still a bear to even find. Luckily I find enough on the Internet to keep me shooting. :) .223 was harder during "the panic" but it's back on the shelves with mixed price ranges, so I need to shop around more. Generally the guns hows here have enough and are pretty cheap. Example: last show 9mm was $145/500 for 124g FMJ.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

colinz

Post by colinz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:22 am

NamelessStain wrote: I noticed you are in NZ, how hard is it to find ammo? I just mean finding it, not the outrageous prices they may charge. For a while in my AO, 22LR is still a bear to even find. Luckily I find enough on the Internet to keep me shooting. :) .223 was harder during "the panic" but it's back on the shelves with mixed price ranges, so I need to shop around more. Generally the gun shows here have enough and are pretty cheap. Example: last show 9mm was $145/500 for 124g FMJ.
Ammunition supply overall isn't too bad usually. The stuff is imported from all over the world, so that does help. One issue that we do run into is that due to the size of our market and the distance involved in freighting from overseas, the importers/distributors run out of their stock for certain flavours of ammo at times.

I did notice that during your guys panic there wasn't a reduction in ammunition supply as such, it was more that the prices on the premium target/hunting rounds went up a fair bit, and their availability was reduced a little. I assume this was due to all the cases/primers/powder used for those being swallowed up making the cheaper ammo for you guys.

Pricewise, we do pay a bit more for our ammunition. A brick of CCI standard is $45, 9mm FMJ is around the $250/500 mark and premium stuff like Hornady's 7mm Rem Mag loaded with a 154gr Interbond is $75 a box of 20. Most guys I know that shoot more than a box or two of hunting ammo per year either reload themselves, or know someone that does. Even gunsmiths in NZ usually reload for people too, simply because it's cheaper for the customer (and gives very accurate ammo).

Using my reloading gear, the amount of 7mm Rem Mag that my BFF shoots has provided enough cost-savings to pay for two basic reloading sets, and then there's the amount of .303 and varmint grade .223 that's been reloaded with it as well. I guess it's time for him to pony up and buy his own set-up eh? :P

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:13 am

colinz wrote:
NamelessStain wrote: I noticed you are in NZ, how hard is it to find ammo? I just mean finding it, not the outrageous prices they may charge. For a while in my AO, 22LR is still a bear to even find. Luckily I find enough on the Internet to keep me shooting. :) .223 was harder during "the panic" but it's back on the shelves with mixed price ranges, so I need to shop around more. Generally the gun shows here have enough and are pretty cheap. Example: last show 9mm was $145/500 for 124g FMJ.
Ammunition supply overall isn't too bad usually. The stuff is imported from all over the world, so that does help. One issue that we do run into is that due to the size of our market and the distance involved in freighting from overseas, the importers/distributors run out of their stock for certain flavours of ammo at times.

I did notice that during your guys panic there wasn't a reduction in ammunition supply as such, it was more that the prices on the premium target/hunting rounds went up a fair bit, and their availability was reduced a little. I assume this was due to all the cases/primers/powder used for those being swallowed up making the cheaper ammo for you guys.

Pricewise, we do pay a bit more for our ammunition. A brick of CCI standard is $45, 9mm FMJ is around the $250/500 mark and premium stuff like Hornady's 7mm Rem Mag loaded with a 154gr Interbond is $75 a box of 20. Most guys I know that shoot more than a box or two of hunting ammo per year either reload themselves, or know someone that does. Even gunsmiths in NZ usually reload for people too, simply because it's cheaper for the customer (and gives very accurate ammo).

Using my reloading gear, the amount of 7mm Rem Mag that my BFF shoots has provided enough cost-savings to pay for two basic reloading sets, and then there's the amount of .303 and varmint grade .223 that's been reloaded with it as well. I guess it's time for him to pony up and buy his own set-up eh? :P
During our "panic" the shelves were almost bare---almost NO ammo & reloading supplies were available.
It's pretty much back to normal as far as stock,except for .22 ammo

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:20 am

Looking for some suggestions. I'm in the process of putting together a AR for varmint hunting and looking for an optic. I don't foresee myself doing any prairie dog hunting, mostly for coyote/fox/bobcat. Pretty much max range in my AO would be 250 yards. I'm really digging some of those 1X4 power AR scopes but am worried about needing more magnification.

Stipulations for scope:

I have a bunch of Cabelas points so it needs to be sold by Cabelas.
Would like to stay under $500

I've been eyeballing this one:
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting ... es-metric/
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:42 am

Maverick299 wrote:Looking for some suggestions. I'm in the process of putting together a AR for varmint hunting and looking for an optic. I don't foresee myself doing any prairie dog hunting, mostly for coyote/fox/bobcat. Pretty much max range in my AO would be 250 yards. I'm really digging some of those 1X4 power AR scopes but am worried about needing more magnification.

Stipulations for scope:

I have a bunch of Cabelas points so it needs to be sold by Cabelas.
Would like to stay under $500

I've been eyeballing this one:
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting ... es-metric/
Nikon makes some nice rifle scopes...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104535180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:42 am

I was using an ACOG for the last couple of coyotes I culled. :crazy: I've also taken my AR with 1-5x24 Weaver tac scope on a couple of trips, but haven't had the opportunity to pull the trigger on one with it yet.

I'm calling them up along the fence rows and tree lines on mine and my neighbor's property, but the land is rolling so I'm not shooting more than 200 yards.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Seconding Nikon. They make a nice 2-7 with a .223 reticle.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Just checking again - anyone have any practical experience with Primary Arms micro red dots?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:55 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:Just checking again - anyone have any practical experience with Primary Arms micro red dots?
Ask in the AK or optics thread. They're pretty popular on AKs.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:59 pm

Well, I spoke with my friend yesterday regarding the American Spirit Arms AR he was looking at and told him that he was better off buying a Bushmaster or DPMS.

Come to find out his co-worker had already sold the rifle to his sister and forgot to tell my friend. So my friend is now buying a stripped lower from Spikes and building his own.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:32 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Well, I spoke with my friend yesterday regarding the American Spirit Arms AR he was looking at and told him that he was better off buying a Bushmaster or DPMS.

Come to find out his co-worker had already sold the rifle to his sister and forgot to tell my friend. So my friend is now buying a stripped lower from Spikes and building his own.
Probably for the best. It was worth checking out as it was a decent price and maybe your friend was just looking for a truck or varmint rifle. The ASA's AR's that we had at the store I worked at fufilled that role pretty well. Not a real big loss that he didn't get it.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Browning 35 wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Well, I spoke with my friend yesterday regarding the American Spirit Arms AR he was looking at and told him that he was better off buying a Bushmaster or DPMS.

Probably for the best. It was worth checking out as it was a decent price and maybe your friend was just looking for a truck or varmint rifle. The ASA's AR's that we had at the store I worked at fufilled that role pretty well. Not a real big loss that he didn't get it.
True.

He's probably going to use the money he was going to pay to build up his AR kit now. I figure 550 ought to get him a decent upper and BCG.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:29 pm

If the thumbhole stock makes use of the safety difficult , I would install an ambi safety and manipulate it with the triggerfinger .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
UndeadInfidel wrote:Just checking again - anyone have any practical experience with Primary Arms micro red dots?
Fuck it. I just ordered one. It's going on my 30-30.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:35 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Fuck it. I just ordered one. It's going on my 30-30.
Good shit. Pics when it's all done. Trying to decide if I wanna RDS this .44 Mag or throw on an LER scope.

Too many toys, not enough money.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:53 pm

I got a Marline 336 in 30-30 i want to scope. I have an older bushnell 3-9 i was thinking of throwing on it. Got 3 mags for my G17 $29.99 each localy and 1000 rounds of Tula .223 55 grain for $350 at the same shop.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:08 pm

How much more awesome is the ACT over the QMS? My QMS arrived today, but I could get an ACT for $8.57 more than that now. I don't need both, but if it's worth buying, I may as well get the better one. This is for my SHTF carbine.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Sledgecrowbar wrote:How much more awesome is the ACT over the QMS? My QMS arrived today, but I could get an ACT for $8.57 more than that now. I don't need both, but if it's worth buying, I may as well get the better one. This is for my SHTF carbine.
I have several ACTs, but no QMS.

Maybe this will help: https://jerkingthetrigger.com/2012/06/2 ... t-and-qms/

The ACT also consists of parts sourced from the same quality manufacturer and are also honed. However the ACT receives an additional feature to enhance function. All parts are HardLubed which is a nickel-boron or nickle-teflon (depending on the part). This coating increases corrosion resistance and has self-lubricating properties that are desirable for a trigger. Both of my samples measured around 5.8 pounds with very similar feel with the same hint of pre-travel and a clean break of the QMS.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:02 pm

RickOShea wrote:A MOE hand guard and IWC mount-n-slot.

Or if you want to keep those CAR guards, then the mount-n-slot that goes in the cooling/vent holes.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2011/03/24 ... -from-iwc/

I think I found them here:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/ ... ing-mount/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Rick!

Guns are icky!

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:11 pm

chills1994 wrote:

I think I found them here:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/ ... ing-mount/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Rick!
This one is for the push-button QD sling swivels:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/ ... nt-n-slot/

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”