Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

chills1994

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by chills1994 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:02 am

UndeadInfidel wrote:Just sold an AR. Something I thought I'd never do. Goodbye! :gonk:

How did you get that gun so clean?

If I try to take nice pictures of guns, all the little hairs and fibers come jumping out at you, in the pic.

Did you keep the scope? Is that a Trijicon TR24? Did you keep the mount?

Guns are icky!

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:33 pm

The gun wasn't used much, which was the main reason I sold it. The photo was also taken on a cell phone, but I also did some color correction and ran it through a few filters in photoshop. To get that smooth look, you can do a Smart Blur filter and tweak it just right so it makes the surface look completely flat without losing any detail. It's subtle but apparently you just noticed. 8-)

As far as the optic, yep I sold it. I didn't really want to, but I'm starting a firearms related business soon and need the cash. It is a TR24r and the mount is a Bobro extended mount. Pretty much the perfect combo for that particular optic.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:12 pm

So this just popped up: https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... 8718_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you guys know about Black Forge Lowers?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:18 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:The gun wasn't used much, which was the main reason I sold it. The photo was also taken on a cell phone, but I also did some color correction and ran it through a few filters in photoshop. To get that smooth look, you can do a Smart Blur filter and tweak it just right so it makes the surface look completely flat without losing any detail. It's subtle but apparently you just noticed. 8-)

As far as the optic, yep I sold it. I didn't really want to, but I'm starting a firearms related business soon and need the cash. It is a TR24r and the mount is a Bobro extended mount. Pretty much the perfect combo for that particular optic.
here is a pic from when I was dicking around making micarta grips:

the dirt just jumps right out at you:

EDIT: is that a shemagh your AR is on?

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:24 pm

Dogan wrote:So this just popped up: https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... 8718_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have never heard of them. But then again, I'm kind of out of the loop for gun purchases anyway, so I haven't been browsing at all.

54 bucks is cheap! for a stripped lower. I guess by "in the white" they mean it has not been anodized yet.

Their other prices were low too!

Guns are icky!

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:49 pm

chills1994 wrote:
UndeadInfidel wrote:The gun wasn't used much, which was the main reason I sold it. The photo was also taken on a cell phone, but I also did some color correction and ran it through a few filters in photoshop. To get that smooth look, you can do a Smart Blur filter and tweak it just right so it makes the surface look completely flat without losing any detail. It's subtle but apparently you just noticed. 8-)

here is a pic from when I was dicking around making micarta grips:

the dirt just jumps right out at you:

:ooh: :ooh: *drools*
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Dogan wrote:So this just popped up: https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... 8718_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which store is this? Looks like Harbor Freight :). Really nice prices.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:23 pm

Sledgecrowbar wrote:

Which store is this? Looks like Harbor Freight :). Really nice prices.
Uh, either Aim Surplus, J&G Sales, Centerfire Systems, or Tombstone Tactical. Not sure which, sorry.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 pm

chills1994 wrote:the dirt just jumps right out at you:
Lighting makes a difference. As does, you know, giving your pistol a scrub-down first (if you're into that sort of thing) :rofl:
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:31 am

chills1994 wrote: here is a pic from when I was dicking around making micarta grips:

EDIT: is that a shemagh your AR is on?
Nice STIs. I've never owned one but assumed you'd just scrub it off. lol. I'd think actual race guns would stay relatively clean.

Yep. It's an old sweat rag I used for backpacking in years past.

raxar

Post by raxar » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:49 am

So, after my crushing disappointment of missing centerfiresystems awesome deal on Ak pistols I have consoled myself with an m-1 carbine.

...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:57 pm

New Gemtech promo video. Pretty well done

Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Tavor acquired. Woo. Pics later.

Hi Power. .40 model with the rare-as-hens-teeth EFK .357 barrel. Anyone know a place to get a .40 barrel that doesn't cost more than a new Glock? I backordered one from BarSto, but they said "maybe in February" noncommitally. Browning wants $680 for JUST THE FUCKING BARREL FUCK ME BROWNING ARE YOU FUCKING HIGH?

Any suggestions?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:02 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Tavor acquired. Woo. Pics later.

Hi Power. .40 model with the rare-as-hens-teeth EFK .357 barrel. Anyone know a place to get a .40 barrel that doesn't cost more than a new Glock? I backordered one from BarSto, but they said "maybe in February" noncommitally. Browning wants $680 for JUST THE FUCKING BARREL FUCK ME BROWNING ARE YOU FUCKING HIGH?

Any suggestions?
there is a Browning Hi Power forums out there on the internet. I think it is still active, although the last time I looked, it didn't seem all that busy. You could always post a "WTB" ad there.

Try Briley (yes, the choke tube manufacturer). Didn't Novak or Robar used to specialize in Hi Power work?

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:15 pm

Those grips I pictured above... I will let out my secret on those, since I never sold a single one. :(

What that is, is ..... :lol: shredded paper.

I'd buy the brightly colored printer or copier paper at Office Depot or Office Max. Then with one of those guillotine style paper cutters I would cut strips about 3/4" to an 1" wide. Then I would drop them into the paper shredder. Then I would take a half gallon milk jug, cut off a corner, pour in some two part epoxy from Lowe's, then grab a handful of the colorful shredded paper, with a stick, mix it all together, throw in some more shredded paper, stir it together. Then I would line a channel iron mould with wax paper or cellophane, scoop the gooey mess of shredded paper into the mould, then lay some more wax paper or cellophane over it, then use another piece of steel, I would squish down with some C clamps. Let it sit over night, to harden up.

Then came the bandsawing, the drilling, the tablesaw jig, and the disc sanding.

The stuff was surprisingly strong. :shock:

Anyway, I've got some burls, tiger maple, birdseye maple, spalted tamarind that I will get to whittling on one of these days.

I think what hurt me was not having a CNC router, which is about the only way I can how VZ does his grips. He probably buys the fiberglass micarta (G10) in 4X8 sheets, sets it on the table, hits a few buttons, and VOILA! 100 sets of VZ grips with all the grippey texture milled in them pop out like 2 hours later. The other advantage is with a CNC router a vacuum hose be right there at the spinning bit to suck up those little fiberglass fibers.

Guns are icky!

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:19 am

Oh yee firearms chat, I am lost in my life and need advice. 21st birthday is just around the corner and lo my retail bonuses are fine. The car works, debts are paid down, vacation is paid for, and I have emergency cash on hand. I could make my car go faster (mmmm, rear mount turbo!), I could put money into a savings account (eww, inflation), or I could invest in Bitcoin (lol, no good in the upcoming robot revolution!).

First reaction is run out and buy a M&P9. This is the "duty" full size gun I know I want and I shot one numerous times, was going to buy locally for $500 (setting the budget for my happy birthday to me). I have one other pistol, a Ruger Security Six which I shoot whenever I can.

But then, I really want to get into 300 BO, and to make that work I know I need to reload, so maybe instead of a new gun I should save up and invest in reloading stuff I was going to need to buy eventually anyway and just get some tax stamps (sbr, pew pew can) on their way?

BUT WAIT!! That defeats the purpose of turning 21 and running out and buying a gun! Maybe I should get a 357 levergun to go with my wheely?? But that defeats the purpose of being 21, not 18!! Maybe I should buy the pocket pistol (PF9) I plan to CC??

As someone who has spent his entire working life helping other people make buying decisions, I don't know what to do and it is pissing me off. :vmad:
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:20 am

I gots a question: Are there any stock options for a left-handed remmy 700 chambered in .270 win? Living out here in WY and all this awesome public land, I've got a chance to really stretch my shooting abilities for the first time. And I know that .270 isn't exactly a "long range" cartridge, but I'd like to improve some on the platform. Right now I'm rocking the factory wood stock, which works great for hunting, but I'd like something a bit lighter if I'm going to be lugging this thing around on shooting trips.

Also, are there any easily-mounted bipod options?

Some other specs if anyone's interested:
-Stock barrel, action, etc.
-My Uncle (former scout/sniper in the 82nd before he became a heavy machinery mechanic) free-floated the barrel for me.
-Nikon 3-9x50 prostaff glass. It's okay, but eventually I'd like to mount something with mildots.
-Probably a grand total of 200 rounds through it.

Tactical furry.

raxar

Post by raxar » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:47 am

Shiloh wrote:I gots a question: Are there any stock options for a left-handed remmy 700 chambered in .270 win? Living out here in WY and all this awesome public land, I've got a chance to really stretch my shooting abilities for the first time. And I know that .270 isn't exactly a "long range" cartridge, but I'd like to improve some on the platform. Right now I'm rocking the factory wood stock, which works great for hunting, but I'd like something a bit lighter if I'm going to be lugging this thing around on shooting trips.

-My Uncle (former scout/sniper in the 82nd before he became a heavy machinery mechanic) free-floated the barrel for me.
-Nikon 3-9x50 prostaff glass. It's okay, but eventually I'd like to mount something with mildots.

For something like a remington there are going to be a ton of options in synthetic stocks, even for a lefty, just go checkout places like midway and find one that looks good. Your rifle is a long action, and there are ADL's and BDL's the ADL has a "blind" magazine, which means there is no floorplate in front of the trigger guard, the BDL has the floorplate, so the stocks aren't interchangeable. The free floating is a modification done to the stock, so you may loose it when you switch (though I'd imagine most 700 stocks are designed to free float the barrel).
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:48 am

Yeah, there are quite a few stock options for those. I've used this place before.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/Categories

I don't know what you're talking about in regards to the .270 Win. It's actually a pretty good long range caliber.

Try googling 'long range hunting with the .270 Win' or something, you'll get plenty of hits.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:51 am

KentsOkay wrote:Oh yee firearms chat, I am lost in my life and need advice. 21st birthday is just around the corner and lo my retail bonuses are fine. The car works, debts are paid down, vacation is paid for, and I have emergency cash on hand. I could make my car go faster (mmmm, rear mount turbo!), I could put money into a savings account (eww, inflation), or I could invest in Bitcoin (lol, no good in the upcoming robot revolution!).

First reaction is run out and buy a M&P9. This is the "duty" full size gun I know I want and I shot one numerous times, was going to buy locally for $500 (setting the budget for my happy birthday to me). I have one other pistol, a Ruger Security Six which I shoot whenever I can.

But then, I really want to get into 300 BO, and to make that work I know I need to reload, so maybe instead of a new gun I should save up and invest in reloading stuff I was going to need to buy eventually anyway and just get some tax stamps (sbr, pew pew can) on their way?

BUT WAIT!! That defeats the purpose of turning 21 and running out and buying a gun! Maybe I should get a 357 levergun to go with my wheely?? But that defeats the purpose of being 21, not 18!! Maybe I should buy the pocket pistol (PF9) I plan to CC??

As someone who has spent his entire working life helping other people make buying decisions, I don't know what to do and it is pissing me off. :vmad:
Tough choices.

My personal philosophy is to fill up on the "basics" before one goes back for seconds (this is a personal thing, but for me "basics" would be 1 x pistol, 1 x shotgun, 1x tac rifle, 1x hunting/long-range rifle). If you already have a pistol, you could put that money towards something that fills a gap. A .357 lever-gun
would compliment that Ruger nicely. Now, were I in a place where CCW was optional, I would most definitely have a ccw sidearm as a basic on that list.

However, mission dictates weapon, so just do some thinking on what your 'mission' going forward should be. What, to you, feels like the most important 'next step"?

Anyway, happy birthday! I hope you enjoy whatever it is you go for!
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:38 pm

raxar wrote:
Shiloh wrote:I gots a question: Are there any stock options for a left-handed remmy 700 chambered in .270 win? Living out here in WY and all this awesome public land, I've got a chance to really stretch my shooting abilities for the first time. And I know that .270 isn't exactly a "long range" cartridge, but I'd like to improve some on the platform. Right now I'm rocking the factory wood stock, which works great for hunting, but I'd like something a bit lighter if I'm going to be lugging this thing around on shooting trips.

For something like a remington there are going to be a ton of options in synthetic stocks, even for a lefty, just go checkout places like midway and find one that looks good. Your rifle is a long action, and there are ADL's and BDL's the ADL has a "blind" magazine, which means there is no floorplate in front of the trigger guard, the BDL has the floorplate, so the stocks aren't interchangeable. The free floating is a modification done to the stock, so you may loose it when you switch (though I'd imagine most 700 stocks are designed to free float the barrel).
Thanks very much! I've got a BDL, so I'll look for those.

Tactical furry.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:37 pm

Doryman wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:Rambling:
Tough choices.

My personal philosophy is to fill up on the "basics" before one goes back for seconds (this is a personal thing, but for me "basics" would be 1 x pistol, 1 x shotgun, 1x tac rifle, 1x hunting/long-range rifle). If you already have a pistol, you could put that money towards something that fills a gap. A .357 lever-gun
would compliment that Ruger nicely. Now, were I in a place where CCW was optional, I would most definitely have a ccw sidearm as a basic on that list.

However, mission dictates weapon, so just do some thinking on what your 'mission' going forward should be. What, to you, feels like the most important 'next step"?

Anyway, happy birthday! I hope you enjoy whatever it is you go for!
I've got my AR15, I swapped my 308 for the 357 (Im not interested in distance at this time), and I've got a pair of bird busters.

I know how I would use each gun for each, this is why I know I want them all :crazy:

Im really leaning towards saving up for a workshop and reloading equipment, despite the burning desire to buy a blaster now.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Shiloh
-Dead snow

Post by Shiloh » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Shiloh wrote:
raxar wrote:

Thanks very much! I've got a BDL, so I'll look for those.
EDIT: Speaking of which, anyone heard of/used this scope: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/8-HWK-HK5134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sensing knock-off of another brand, but I dug up some reviews and it seemed decent for the price, especially since I'm not going to be doing anything too crazy, but at the same time my prostaff won't quite cut it.

Tactical furry.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Shiloh wrote: EDIT: Speaking of which, anyone heard of/used this scope: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/8-HWK-HK5134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sensing knock-off of another brand, but I dug up some reviews and it seemed decent for the price, especially since I'm not going to be doing anything too crazy, but at the same time my prostaff won't quite cut it.
Triple threat: it's cheap, it is a mixed measure (MOA reticle with mil adjustments) and from an unknown brand. Stay away.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”