Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Locked
User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6768
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:05 pm

I still need to pick up another ten or so 1911 mags.

I'm thinking of snagging a few Chip McCormacks and maybe some Wilson Combats as well. That or I find some USGI mags and call it a day.

User avatar
MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:28 am

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:13 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I still need to pick up another ten or so 1911 mags.

I'm thinking of snagging a few Chip McCormacks and maybe some Wilson Combats as well. That or I find some USGI mags and call it a day.
I vote for either of the former. F the latter. I have Chip mags, and they're great. I have not yet heard bad about Wilson mags (I use Wilson for all of my other parts). USGI mags... My issues have been slide lock after a lot of use. Years of use actually. The same amount that someone would be expected to rebuild/replace their mags anyway, but, F a USGI mag. Besides, they're only 7rd. That extra 1rd is all the difference in the world. :roll: But really, Chip and Wilson are good stuff.
Image

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6768
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Ok, so I'll skip the USGI mags and grab some Chip McCormack and Wilson mags then.

Probably easier to find in my AO anyway. The one good surplus store I was able to find that had USGI mags closed a year or so back.

User avatar
Rogue45
* * *
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:20 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Rogue45 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:39 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Ok, so I'll skip the USGI mags and grab some Chip McCormack and Wilson mags then.

Probably easier to find in my AO anyway. The one good surplus store I was able to find that had USGI mags closed a year or so back.
I've had great results with McCormick, Wilson, and Kim-pro Tac mags. I also like the factory mags I got with my TRP Operator, I think they are Mec-gar.
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6768
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:13 pm

I've got one of those Kim-pro tac mags and I have to load it with just 7 rounds otherwise it's a pain to get fully seated in my 1911.

User avatar
Rogue45
* * *
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:20 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Rogue45 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:14 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I've got one of those Kim-pro tac mags and I have to load it with just 7 rounds otherwise it's a pain to get fully seated in my 1911.
Hmm, I've only used them with my Springfield. I don't have any experience using them with other brands of 1911's.
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6768
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Rogue45 wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I've got one of those Kim-pro tac mags and I have to load it with just 7 rounds otherwise it's a pain to get fully seated in my 1911.
Hmm, I've only used them with my Springfield. I don't have any experience using them with other brands of 1911's.
Well, my 1911 is a Rock Island Armory model so that could be why the Kim-Pro mag only works as a 7 rounder. It's still a good mag, I just have to find a way to block it to make it a 7 rounder instead of an 8 rounder.

User avatar
Rogue45
* * *
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:20 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Rogue45 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:23 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Rogue45 wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I've got one of those Kim-pro tac mags and I have to load it with just 7 rounds otherwise it's a pain to get fully seated in my 1911.
Hmm, I've only used them with my Springfield. I don't have any experience using them with other brands of 1911's.
Well, my 1911 is a Rock Island Armory model so that could be why the Kim-Pro mag only works as a 7 rounder. It's still a good mag, I just have to find a way to block it to make it a 7 rounder instead of an 8 rounder.
Well, my Springfield doesn't seem to like Wilson 47D's. lol They are hard to seat. Every other 1911 I've had loves the Wilsons.
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6768
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Wilson mags seem to have a pretty good following, Rogue45. If I can find some locally or on Amazon, I'll probably pick up a couple.

I need to pick up a good holster as well if I want to carry my 1911 soon.

User avatar
raxar
* * *
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Amish country, PA

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by raxar » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:19 pm

speaking of mags

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... lower.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was never wild about the bolt hold open, but damn it I bought another rifle and I need more mags.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

User avatar
Greg Focker
* * * * *
Posts: 2170
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Greg Focker » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:22 pm

Does anyone know where to buy stripper clips for a Swiss K31? I don't need them, I just kinda want them :crazy:
Image

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

User avatar
Rogue45
* * *
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:20 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Rogue45 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:25 am

So here is the "Colt Survival Rifle" I was talking about. I went back to Wally World today and asked about it, apparently its the "Gun of the Month" and for 1699.00 it comes with everything in this pic. Nice rifle, but seems like a gimmick.

Image
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:40 am

Rogue45 wrote:So here is the "Colt Survival Rifle" I was talking about. I went back to Wally World today and asked about it, apparently its the "Gun of the Month" and for 1699.00 it comes with everything in this pic. Nice rifle, but seems like a gimmick.

Image
Looks like a dressed up LE6920SOCOM with a $200 case. Not a bad deal at all.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

gundogs
* * * *
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:44 am

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by gundogs » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:59 am

Greg Focker wrote:Does anyone know where to buy stripper clips for a Swiss K31? I don't need them, I just kinda want them :crazy:
Have you removed the butt plate? Sometimes there is a small tag of plasticized paper which
contains the name and address of the Swiss citizen to whom the rifle was issued.

User avatar
raxar
* * *
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Amish country, PA

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by raxar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:22 am

Rogue45 wrote:So here is the "Colt Survival Rifle" I was talking about. I went back to Wally World today and asked about it, apparently its the "Gun of the Month" and for 1699.00 it comes with everything in this pic. Nice rifle, but seems like a gimmick.

Image

Your walmart sells guns......



you bastard.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

User avatar
Sledgecrowbar
* * *
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:36 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.
Location: Central NJ & Shore/NYC

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:44 am

gundogs wrote:
Greg Focker wrote:Does anyone know where to buy stripper clips for a Swiss K31? I don't need them, I just kinda want them :crazy:
Have you removed the butt plate? Sometimes there is a small tag of plasticized paper which
contains the name and address of the Swiss citizen to whom the rifle was issued.
That's so Swiss of them.
raxar wrote:Your walmart sells guns......

you bastard.
Wait, your Walmart doesn't sell guns? That's not the PA I know.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

User avatar
raxar
* * *
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Amish country, PA

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by raxar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:54 am

Sledgecrowbar wrote:
Wait, your Walmart doesn't sell guns? That's not the PA I know.
They haven't had them since 06 or 07, part of walmart's plan to become a classy, female-oriented establishment. Closest one that I know of that has them is about 45 minutes away.

Business-wise it was a dumbass decision, you're never going to convince me that a walmart in the middle of lancaster county didn't sell a shitload of guns.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

User avatar
Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2386
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Beowolf » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Walmarts in Colorado are hit or miss for gun sales. The three closest to me don't, but the next closest does, then the next one doesn't...

They all still carry ammo in some form or another, though.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

User avatar
Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2645
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am
Location: Huntington, West Virginia

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Rev » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:05 pm

They took ours away for a time, and when they brought back firearms stuck with traditional ones. Now they have a bunch of "tactical" rifles and shotguns. I was happy that they have Colt and Bushmaster to feed both ends of the spectrum.

Listed my AR for sale on armlist. Looking for other options of listing it for sale. I figure my price of 1250 is high but some other guys dare to dream even higher with their bushmasters so we'll see.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by 0122358 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Rev wrote:They took ours away for a time, and when they brought back firearms stuck with traditional ones. Now they have a bunch of "tactical" rifles and shotguns. I was happy that they have Colt and Bushmaster to feed both ends of the spectrum.

Listed my AR for sale on armlist. Looking for other options of listing it for sale. I figure my price of 1250 is high but some other guys dare to dream even higher with their bushmasters so we'll see.
Mine had guns, mostly fudd hunting rifles and shotguns...then when they renovated into a super wallmart...they added M4geries...

Rev is that your only AR youre trying to sell?

ETA...how effective are magnifyers on Eotechs?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

User avatar
Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2645
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am
Location: Huntington, West Virginia

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Rev » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:38 pm

0122358 wrote:Rev is that your only AR youre trying to sell?
Yep. Dark days.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

User avatar
cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:12 am
Location: Granbury, Texas

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by cricketdave » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Had some fun today shooting an ar50 at 600 yards popping 1 gal water jugs.
Image
ZS#4545

User avatar
Sledgecrowbar
* * *
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:36 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.
Location: Central NJ & Shore/NYC

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:03 pm

raxar wrote:walmart's plan to become a classy, female-oriented establishment
:roll:

Went to the range today with two friends, my first trip in maybe 18 months since the panic started. ~1250 rounds through nine guns later, couldn't be happier. I think we ended up doing about $300 of wholesale lead-wasting and I don't care one bit, I wanted to get some range time in badly and the weather was great, the sun came out right when we were setting up and it was 66 with no wind for the whole session. Bad fog driving home, too.

HK USP40: my new addition is stronger but no less manageable than my Glock 17, gets back on target fast. Good trigger for real-world use. Slide release is too far forward for my strong-hand thumb, but that's not a first, mag release is fine after getting used to it. Couldn't tell a difference between 165- and 180-grain WWB, as would be expected. Ate that and Herter's brass and TNJ aluminum-case ammo with zero failures. Mags go in with a tiny click, if you slam them in or hit the floorplate with your hand after loading, the gun will load a round, every time. Happened on my friend's USP9C, too.

HK USP9C: not as flippy as I thought a compact would be, just as easy to get back on target as the full-size 40. Haven't tried a G19 yet, would like to compare.

Ruger SR22: definitely the nicer gun between it and Walther's offering. Aluminum slide feels worth the asking price. Virtually recoilless, probably 90% reliable action which I feel is excellent for rimfire, may have been the ammo anyway (American Eagle).

Mossberg 185: I was actually considering flipping this gun without every shooting it, the quality is nice but it's definitely a very niche setup. I now wish there was a job somewhere that required you to shoot a 20-gauge bolt-action shotgun all day long. 2-round removable magazine is harder to finish loading than is worth the trouble, would only bother with it for hunting. This is a $20 gun in 1950, and a $120 gun now, and it is worth every damned penny. Would like to get my hands on a 195.

Just brought the (16- & 20-gau) shotguns to try to pattern them on the pistol range but they were as fun as the .357. Should have brought more shells.

Oh, and Range 14 lowered the annual membership from $60 to $45. Still $4 per hour per person, though. The targets are down to $3 from $4, too. Heading back soon to do some clays, will see if that's still $4/25.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3635
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies
Location: Arizonastan

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Caenus » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:11 pm

I just got the dream windfall!

Okay, acceptable anyway. Distant relative that I never met, left me an inheritance...a whopping $5k!

So what says the hive mind? I already have multiple investments, 2x' AR's (BCM's), CCW's galore, BOB's galore, I don't need weapons training (city already pays for that), lots o'water, avalanche and Wife's BMW is paid off, etc, plenty of silver and gold, wife said other than taking her hunting I can do what I will...so... Quick comments, these are my well (not) thought out options:

I'm going to save $2500 for the hunting trip.

1. Hookers and blow (probably end in divorce)
2. The truck tool bed bugout trailer I've always wanted
3. Blow and hookers
4. 300 blackout SBR with suppressor...actually my #1 choice (I have one of the first gen ZS lowers yet to be built, a rail, lpk, etc, just need an upper)
5. Just hookers
6. Random preps (wife is already an extreme couponer and we have 6+mos of food)
7. Or?
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Locked

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”