Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by PistolPete » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Had a squib round in a CZ-82 the other day. Behold the bullet stuck in the barrel:

Bigger pic
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Tried to order a Don Hume shoulder holster from buyaholster.com. Received a reply that they are out of stock and Don Hume is three months behind on orders, and they would understand if I cancelled my order, which I did. Then my phone had a psychotic break while I was working Hallowe'en night and I had to spend my holster money plus some on a new phone. Maybe in six weeks or so I'll have enough saved up again to get a Galco Miami Classic.

Shit.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Damn, sorry to hear that. :( Shoulder holster is on my want list, too. But I'm having a hard enough time affording food, so that's gonna wait...
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:40 pm

PistolPete wrote:Had a squib round in a CZ-82 the other day. Behold the bullet stuck in the barrel:

Bigger pic
Damn. :shock: What's all that junk in the chamber?
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Shiloh wrote:
PistolPete wrote:Had a squib round in a CZ-82 the other day. Behold the bullet stuck in the barrel:

Bigger pic
Damn. :shock: What's all that junk in the chamber?
Only the best quality wheat-based gunpowder, courtesy of mother russia.

Or Pete punted his pistol as punishment for popping poorly and pinching the projectile.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm eager to find out what those grits-looking things are, too.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Only the best quality wheat-based gunpowder, courtesy of mother russia.
Yep, that's what Wolf calls smokeless powder. I made a little pile and lit it to see if it was powder or filler, and it burned like powder. I'm not sure why it didn't fully ignite, maybe a weak primer? Or maybe something blocking the primer hole? Or maybe a partial charge of powder or some filler that blocked the powder ignition. I'll never know.

It took penetrating oil and 20 solid whacks with a real hammer to get the bullet all the way out. I was surprised how much force it took.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:...Or Pete punted his pistol as punishment for popping poorly and pinching the projectile.
Precisely put piece of prose, pseudo physician.

NXP

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:06 pm

PistolPete wrote:It took penetrating oil and 20 solid whacks with a real hammer to get the bullet all the way out. I was surprised how much force it took.
:shock: Me too. I've only experienced one squib, but all it took was a quick push with a cleaning rod to get it out.

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:56 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Only the best quality wheat-based gunpowder, courtesy of mother russia.
Yep, that's what Wolf calls smokeless powder. I made a little pile and lit it to see if it was powder or filler, and it burned like powder. I'm not sure why it didn't fully ignite, maybe a weak primer? Or maybe something blocking the primer hole? Or maybe a partial charge of powder or some filler that blocked the powder ignition. I'll never know.

It took penetrating oil and 20 solid whacks with a real hammer to get the bullet all the way out. I was surprised how much force it took.
What did it feel/sound like?

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Bearcat wrote: What did it feel/sound like?
Just a pop, not even as loud as a 22. Since it didn't cycle the gun it removed both exit points for sound. The bullet was stuck in the barrel so sound couldn't travel that way and the action didn't open there was no blast there. It was very obvious. Even in a loud indoor range rocking good earpro there was no way it could have been misidentified as a full power round. Not even close. There's more pics and details in my blog (in my sig) if you are curious. But I think I've captured most of the details here.

- Mark Twain

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Maybe some of you fine folks can answer a tv based gun question that's been bugging me a while ... Wtf is a register firearm in 'Mericuh?

I hear it on cop shows semi regularly. Perps found to be in possession of a firearm that isn't registered. Or an APB goes out for a guy known to have a registered pistol ...

I know you don't have to register your firearms, so what is the man in the box talking about? Is it a CCW thing in certain states?
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:23 pm

BullOnParade wrote:Maybe some of you fine folks can answer a tv based gun question that's been bugging me a while ... Wtf is a register firearm in 'Mericuh?

I hear it on cop shows semi regularly. Perps found to be in possession of a firearm that isn't registered. Or an APB goes out for a guy known to have a registered pistol ...

I know you don't have to register your firearms, so what is the man in the box talking about? Is it a CCW thing in certain states?
Mostly Hollywood stuff. Some states have registration, but in general it's just that the writers don't understand that firearms don't have to be registered, and TV has spread the ignorance.

If you hear about a "registered reciever" (almost never on TV) it's in reference to an NFA item liek a suppressor, SBR, SBS, or machinegun.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Towanda wrote:Tried to order a Don Hume shoulder holster from buyaholster.com. Received a reply that they are out of stock and Don Hume is three months behind on orders, and they would understand if I cancelled my order, which I did. Then my phone had a psychotic break while I was working Hallowe'en night and I had to spend my holster money plus some on a new phone. Maybe in six weeks or so I'll have enough saved up again to get a Galco Miami Classic.

Shit.
I've always wanted a shulder holster...mainly for a 1911...and maybe a G17K...oh and an old school thigh rig for a single six shooter...maybe my 686 when i get it...
How come your're going for the shoulder option again? You carry an XD right?

I need to find ammo...my trigger finger is getting itchy :vmad:

Its nice to see 9mm coming down and stabalizing though
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:53 pm

I'm feeling relieved to find some .357 Sig ammo in stock that wasn't $35-40/box. Found some PPU 125gr for $23..........ordered 1000 rounds. Now I can resume my normal shooting without feeling like I am depleting my stock down to dangerous levels!

I have really missed shooting my P2000SK on a regular basis. Thank you, Cabelas!
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Anybody know if there's any parts commonality between Remington 7615 rifles and 870 shotguns? Maybe receivers, maybe not?
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Maverick299 wrote:I'm feeling relieved to find some .357 Sig ammo in stock that wasn't $35-40/box. Found some PPU 125gr for $23..........ordered 1000 rounds. Now I can resume my normal shooting without feeling like I am depleting my stock down to dangerous levels!

I have really missed shooting my P2000SK on a regular basis. Thank you, Cabelas!
I picked up a couple cases a couple years ago of Winchester clean range ammo for $10.50 a box. Feel free to hate. :-)

- Mark Twain

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:12 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Maverick299 wrote:I'm feeling relieved to find some .357 Sig ammo in stock that wasn't $35-40/box. Found some PPU 125gr for $23..........ordered 1000 rounds. Now I can resume my normal shooting without feeling like I am depleting my stock down to dangerous levels!

I picked up a couple cases a couple years ago of Winchester clean range ammo for $10.50 a box. Feel free to hate. :-)

There is plenty of hate fuming in your direction! Happen to have any of that left? :twisted: :twisted: :rofl:
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:22 pm

Maverick299 wrote: There is plenty of hate fuming in your direction! Happen to have any of that left? :twisted: :twisted: :rofl:
About half, so I can shoot 357sig whenever the fancy strikes me. :D

- Mark Twain

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Numbers, I use a shoulder holster because I drive a taxi. The one I use now is a nylon POS that lets the XD slide between my ribs and the seat back when the plastic hub thingy in the back isn't digging into my neck, and which my pistol has fallen out of three times. I really wanted the Don Hume H770-AA shoulder holster because it uses a strap in the back instead of a plastic hub.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
BullOnParade wrote:Maybe some of you fine folks can answer a tv based gun question that's been bugging me a while ... Wtf is a register firearm in 'Mericuh?

Mostly Hollywood stuff. Some states have registration, but in general it's just that the writers don't understand that firearms don't have to be registered, and TV has spread the ignorance.

If you hear about a "registered reciever" (almost never on TV) it's in reference to an NFA item liek a suppressor, SBR, SBS, or machinegun.
I knew NFA items were tracked, but it's never that sort of firearm they're talking about on tv. I was hoping NYC required registration of pistols to be carried by their permit holders. But just another flaw in Television writing makes more sense.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:25 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

I knew NFA items were tracked, but it's never that sort of firearm they're talking about on tv. I was hoping NYC required registration of pistols to be carried by their permit holders. But just another flaw in Television writing makes more sense.
NYC I believe has registration. As I said, several states do, some even go so far as to require one spent shell from the firearm in question for ballistics. I have no idea where it first started (TV wise) but it got copied from there, and now "registered guns" or permits to own are a staple of TV writing, even in made-up cities or in states/cities where it's not required. It's common enough: one writer does shitty research and a bunch after him copy it. For instance, in California (LA specifically) the big highways are "the [number]" such as "the 405 is all jammed up." It's not common elsewhere, but you see it widespread in TV shows set across the US because the writers don't know better. I think TWD was an example of this: set in Georgia where interstates are always colloquially "I-95" or just "95 North/South" and yet some characters still twang out "the 285" like it's Cali.

TvTropes has some great insight into the pitfalls of bad writer research, if you can avoid gettign sucked in too deep.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:29 pm

So I've got Friday after Thanksgiving off, and I want to spend at least part of the day with my rifle at Grandma's Berm. I don't get nearly enough time with it.

What drills or exercises should I focus on that can be performed ideally between about 80 feet and 100 yards or so? Obviously, I'd like to limit things like 20-dollar-a-pop distrtaction drills and high rate-of-fire stuff. I've also...wait...you know what?

I'm going to her empty fracking pond!

It's over 100 yards wide/deep and has 10ft berms on 3 sides. :twisted: :clap:

What fun/useful shit can I get up to with no structured targets other than junk I can carry out there?
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Towanda wrote:Numbers, I use a shoulder holster because I drive a taxi. The one I use now is a nylon POS that lets the XD slide between my ribs and the seat back when the plastic hub thingy in the back isn't digging into my neck, and which my pistol has fallen out of three times. I really wanted the Don Hume H770-AA shoulder holster because it uses a strap in the back instead of a plastic hub.
I figured it was for vehicle use...good luck.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”