Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

hoofibou

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by hoofibou » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:25 am

What allows a SKS-D or M to take a Ak-47 magazine? Could you install typical SKS parts in a SKS-D or M? Can you put a SKS in a SKS D stock or vice versa?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:09 am

hoofibou wrote:What allows a SKS-D or M to take a Ak-47 magazine? Could you install typical SKS parts in a SKS-D or M? Can you put a SKS in a SKS D stock or vice versa?
They were built that way. Some have done conversions, but they never seem to work quite right. AKs are back down around $599, and I've started seeing Saigas again so you could snag a cheap Saiga and coinvert it if you feel like doing some work.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

hoofibou

Post by hoofibou » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:32 am

I actually use to have a converted Saiga. I don't think I can ever get myself to buy another, unless the price goes back below $180 (uncoverted), when I originally purchased it. :( I actually missed a good deal on a VZ 58 and started just looking for a weird AK like rifle. I saw some broken up SKS-D stocks for sale online and was wondering about conversions. The stock had the metal mag well insert, so I was just wondering if a typical SKS would drop in and be able to take AK mags. I always heard that the SKS mags were similar to AK mags, with the exception of the tang on the SKS mags.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:38 am

hoofibou wrote:I actually use to have a converted Saiga. I don't think I can ever get myself to buy another, unless the price goes back below $180 (uncoverted), when I originally purchased it. :( I actually missed a good deal on a VZ 58 and started just looking for a weird AK like rifle. I saw some broken up SKS-D stocks for sale online and was wondering about conversions. The stock had the metal mag well insert, so I was just wondering if a typical SKS would drop in and be able to take AK mags. I always heard that the SKS mags were similar to AK mags, with the exception of the tang on the SKS mags.
Nope. Completely different.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

hoofibou

Post by hoofibou » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:33 am

Good to know. Saves me a few dollars and experimentation ending with crying.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:46 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Bearcat wrote:hHw come magnifiers are only 3x with red dots? Why not 4x? Is it the laser would be too distorted with that magnification?
The TA31 is only 4x32. I don't think a 4x magnifier would make an Eotech more effective. Realistically, because 3x is what goes on the military rifles, which is what everyone wants to copy.
I agree a 4x magnifier wouldn't improve the accuracy of a red dot in terms of MOA, but wouldn't it compensate for that with a clearer image of the target?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:47 am

hoofibou wrote:I actually use to have a converted Saiga. I don't think I can ever get myself to buy another, unless the price goes back below $180 (uncoverted), when I originally purchased it. :(
I wouldn't count on seeing those kinds of prices ever again.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:22 pm

I was wondering if someone could help me out with some conversions here. I am going to a long range shoot tomorrow and going to try and stretch my .308 out to 1000 yards, the only problem is I only have accurate dope for my rifle out to 500. I looked up my load ballistics out to 1000 but am having some inch to Mil (not MOA) conversion issues. It's Friday and my brain is fried. I would like to at least have something close and I can make correction per spotter once on the firing line.

600 yards -100.5"
700 yards -152.1"
800 yards -219"
900 yards -304.1"
1000 yards -410.7"

I'm getting: 4.3, 5.5, 7.0, 8.6, and 10.4 but those don't seem right to me.

Thanks!
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Anyone familiar with WY's gun laws? There's a local shop that has a good deal on a marlin 795, but someone told me that WY FFLs wont sell any guns (long guns or handguns) to a nonresident.

EDIT: Called said shop, they said it was their policy not to sell to nonresidents. HOWEVER, I did find another place that would do the transfer for less, even if I ordered online from another distributor. So I think we're in business. :D

Now, someone remind me why it's a bad idea to order guns from CTD. :ohdear:

I was looking at one of these three:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/6-0129836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/85854" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GUN-982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:45 am

I was finally was able to snag a RTF2 receiver to use as a dedicated host for my AA .22 slide. I need to find one more RTF2 frame to build my RMR long slide version with. Then I'll be "RTF_Cubed", lol.

"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

RTF_Squared
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland. Resident Evil Degeneration.

Post by RTF_Squared » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Ten Eight wrote:I was finally was able to snag a RTF2 receiver to use as a dedicated host for my AA .22 slide. I need to find one more RTF2 frame to build my RMR long slide version with. Then I'll be "RTF_Cubed", lol.
Dude, so player-hating on your game right now. I want one of those .22 kits so bad, and you slid it on a RTF frame. You're a damned unicorn hunting fool considering its hard as hell to find either part right now and .22 is still vaporware.
Brought to you by Carl's Junior.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:56 pm

Had some brutal wind today. At 800 yards I was dialed 2.9 Mil to the left and was still holding left edge of target. For some reason I was scoring more hits at 800 than I was at 400?!?! Shooting .308 168gr Sierra Matchkings. Was windy and cold but had a great day and got some good dope for the rifle.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Maverick299 wrote:Had some brutal wind today. At 800 yards I was dialed 2.9 Mil to the left and was still holding left edge of target. For some reason I was scoring more hits at 800 than I was at 400?!?! Shooting .308 168gr Sierra Matchkings. Was windy and cold but had a great day and got some good dope for the rifle.

Probably because you were more worried about following good fundamentals. I know that at times on closer targets I get cocky and dont shoot "By the numbers" . This becomes more apparent when I really buckle down and focus on fundamentals..... and my average grouping goes down in size.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:01 pm

docdredd wrote:
Maverick299 wrote:Had some brutal wind today. At 800 yards I was dialed 2.9 Mil to the left and was still holding left edge of target. For some reason I was scoring more hits at 800 than I was at 400?!?! Shooting .308 168gr Sierra Matchkings. Was windy and cold but had a great day and got some good dope for the rifle.

Probably because you were more worried about following good fundamentals. I know that at times on closer targets I get cocky and dont shoot "By the numbers" . This becomes more apparent when I really buckle down and focus on fundamentals..... and my average grouping goes down in size.
Makes sense. Due to the way targets were set up (100, 200, 300, 400, 600, and 800) and me being on the far right end of the firing line I could only shoot at 300 and out. So I started at 800 and worked it backwards. :D

I was getting impact about 85% of the time at 800 (swirling gusty winds really pushed those bullets around) and by the time I was at the closer ranges they felt like chip shots and I'm sure I wasn't going through all my pre-shot rituals and thinking it was easy.

(didn't help when I confused the distance on the target for 6 shots and was shooting 300 with my scope dialed in for 200. Frustrated me and probably made me miss some shots out of anger :gonk: )

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:18 pm

One more.

You have to really zoom in to see the 800!

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:48 pm

So what are your rifles specs? Heres my current one (Picture taken with a potato sorry)

Remington AAC SD
.308 16.5 in Heavy barrel 1/10 twist
HS precision stock
SWFA SS 10x42 MRAD Mil/Mil
Vortex flash hider
Harris Tilt 6-9 bipod
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:08 pm

Built on Howa action
B&C Medalist stock
Precision Armament Severe Duty Muzzle Brake (effing awesome btw, almost zero recoil)
Skim bedded
Vortex Viper PST SFP 6x24x50
Coat of coyote brown cerakote

coming soon:
Bottom Metal. Possibly AICS but undecided

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:11 pm

RTF_Squared wrote:
Ten Eight wrote:I was finally was able to snag a RTF2 receiver to use as a dedicated host for my AA .22 slide. I need to find one more RTF2 frame to build my RMR long slide version with. Then I'll be "RTF_Cubed", lol.
Dude, so player-hating on your game right now. I want one of those .22 kits so bad, and you slid it on a RTF frame. You're a damned unicorn hunting fool considering its hard as hell to find either part right now and .22 is still vaporware.
I'm just glad I that was able to find this frame. It was the only RTF2 frame I've seen on Gunbroker in the last 6 months or so. I'm looking for another 17 frame for a RMR'd longslide project, and a 19 frame to chop to 26 grip length.

Edit: Nice outing Maverick. I wish we had space for 800 yard shooting here in south Florida. You have to airboat yourself out to the Everglades and shoot at floating milk jugs if you want to shoot at that kind of distance.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Take a look at these guys. I planned on adding one to this rifle but decided against it on Theory of use grounds. http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/how ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont ever see myself using more than 5 rounds from a precision rifle at a time. If I need more firepower than that I need to change up weapon systems. One of my ARs is set up as a DMR for the closer in stuff.

I had a hard time deciding on a break / Flash Hider. But one pull on the trigger at night answered that one for me pretty quick. I couldnt see shit, washed out my NODS and left spots.
The vortex does not tame flash it absolutely eliminates it. Doesn't do shit for recoil, but again This is a hunting / precision rig not something Im going to be ripping off 300 round with in an hour.
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:45 pm

docdredd wrote:Take a look at these guys. I planned on adding one to this rifle but decided against it on Theory of use grounds. http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/how ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont ever see myself using more than 5 rounds from a precision rifle at a time. If I need more firepower than that I need to change up weapon systems. One of my ARs is set up as a DMR for the closer in stuff.

I had a hard time deciding on a break / Flash Hider. But one pull on the trigger at night answered that one for me pretty quick. I couldnt see shit, washed out my NODS and left spots.
The vortex does not tame flash it absolutely eliminates it. Doesn't do shit for recoil, but again This is a hunting / precision rig not something Im going to be ripping off 300 round with in an hour.
Yeah, I've been eyeballing their stuff. Too bad I didn't realize they were there when I lived in Florida, I drove past their shop everyday and had no idea!

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:35 pm

So here is a dumb question, but do brakes on say a target gun like Mavs, while they reduce the recoil, are you losing any velocity/performance at long range?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

raxar

Post by raxar » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:02 pm

0122358 wrote:So here is a dumb question, but do brakes on say a target gun like Mavs, while they reduce the recoil, are you losing any velocity/performance at long range?
no, since the bullet has already left the muzzle the gasses behind it have pretty much pushed it as much as they're ever going to. If anything the extra resistance the brake provides could give a very slight increase in velocity

There is also something called a "Boss system" which is a tuneable muzzle brake that you use to increase accuracy.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Braxton
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:59 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
Braxton wrote:Absolute CW, same as the XPS. Don't knock a lower 1/3 till you try it. I like it much better than a absolute.
What do you like better about it? Anything tangible (faster acquisition with irons, better field of view, etc.) or is it a personal preference?

With a Lower 1/3 I have a better sight picture and a much more clear view of the target. This leads to faster first shot on target, ( for me anyway).

You can still see the iron sights if you need them, they are just out of the way.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:26 pm

FINALLY going to get to shoot my new handguns today. :clap: New P229 Scorpion .40 S&W and a nearly new XDm 4.5" .40 S&W.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”