Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:02 pm

I use Hoppe's Elite cleaner and a bit of Hoppe's lube, Numbers.

I'm thinking of trying out some of that Frog Lube stuff that's been getting such good recommendations on ZS.

As for mags, I was under the assumption that SureFire had suspended production of the 60 rounders due to jamming and feeding issues. I guess I was wrong.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:45 pm

No on Surefire 60s. Big, long, heavy and meant for an automatic rifle. Pass. Get a mag coupler, move on with life and 2 30rders.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Surefire 60s would be cool if they didn't cost $100. We had a couple guys use them who reported no failures, the internet has reported a mix. If I could get another one for $45 (never should have sold that one) I'd probably keep it. Not big on mag couplers or ultrahicaps personally. An extra pound at the mag well is gonna slow me down more than a mag coupler will speed me up.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:02 pm

When I finally get my AK, I kind of want to get some of those 75 round drums just for the hell of it.

I know the Chinese ones are supposed to be the best, but I haven't seen those for years. All I'm finding is the Romanian ones and the cheap Korean knock-offs.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:22 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:No on Surefire 60s. Big, long, heavy and meant for an automatic rifle. Pass. Get a mag coupler, move on with life and 2 30rders.
ok how about PMAG 40s?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 pm

If we are dreaming i want a 75 round drum in 9mm for my Beretta CX4Storm it would :clownshoes:
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Rednex wrote:If we are dreaming i want a 75 round drum in 9mm for my Beretta CX4Storm it would :clownshoes:
Can I get a 100 round drum for my 1911 while we're at it ? :lol:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:04 pm

0122358 wrote:
Also...whats the mind hive say on Surefire 60 rounders?
I have one that I bought about a few months ago. I've run six full loads through it with zero problems. BUT, all the reports of malfunctions have me a little leery of using it for anything more than range fun.

I noticed that T-Bone seems to have trouble with a Surefire mag at the 2:28 mark in this BCM vid:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Shiloh wrote:Thanks for the tips on the Arisaka. I'll see if I can't get some pictures from him soon.

One more question, unrelated: I'm writing an argumentative research paper about concealed carry for one of my classes, can anyone think of some good online sources where I could get info for that? I'm basically trying to show the relation of violent crime rates to CCW's in any given city/state. .edu or .gov domains are preferred.
All the info you could ever want. They have a version that's designed to be a handout too. I sent the author a donation when I downloaded mine.

http://www.gunfacts.info/
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:17 pm

So, AR-10 lowers. What style do I want to leave in a drawer for a rainy day? I don't know the parts availability and reliability of each of the different types. Do I want a DPMS LR-308, SR25, or Armalite style lower? Did I miss any others?

Edit: Evidently CMMG makes an AR-10 lower that takes G3 mags. That sounds like win provided you can find reliable mags. Are new G3 mags still like $8-10?
Last edited by Ten Eight on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:21 pm

I have no idea if these guys still make one or not, but I think Mega Arms has an AR-10 type lower for sale.

Their AR-15 lowers look nice and if I had an extra 200 bucks laying around, I'd pick one up for my AR build.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:27 pm

I was looking at the Mega. I like it because it accepts parts for most of the different AR-10 styles.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Ten Eight wrote:I was looking at the Mega. I like it because it accepts parts for most of the different AR-10 styles.
So it's almost a universal platform then, right ?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:43 pm

Ten Eight wrote:So, AR-10 lowers. What style do I want to leave in a drawer for a rainy day? I don't know the parts availability and reliability of each of the different types. Do I want a DPMS LR-308, SR25, or Armalite style lower? Did I miss any others?

Edit: Evidently CMMG makes an AR-10 lower that takes G3 mags. That sounds like win provided you can find reliable mags. Are new G3 mags still like $8-10?
Besides the two different magazine patterns, there are a couple different receiver contours. So when you pick a lower, have a compatible upper receiver already in mind.

Here's a pic of the couple different contours. The rear of the Armalite-style is "slanted", the DPMS-style is "curved":

You can put a "slanted" upper on a "curved" lower, but you'll have a gap:

If you try to put a curved upper on an slanted lower, it won't work at all.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:17 pm

0122358 wrote:Also...whats the mind hive say on Surefire 60 rounders?
I've got one. Works better if fed from stripper clips as opposed to loose rounds. Gets all dicked up on my shorty but O.K. in a middy

So, skip it.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:37 am

Rick, thanks for that info. It helped a lot. This will help me to know what I'm looking at should I pick one up at the gun show next week.

I'm liking some of the Mega matched receiver sets, but I recall reading some negative press on here about their customer service or something. Needs mo researchez.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:40 am

Ten Eight wrote:Rick, thanks for that info. It helped a lot. This will help me to know what I'm looking at should I pick one up at the gun show next week.

I'm liking some of the Mega matched receiver sets, but I recall reading some negative press on here about their customer service or something. Needs mo researchez.
Mega's solid AFAIK. Locally you might also see Manta billet lowers.

All this talk has me thinking about picking up a DPMS to fart around with...
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:28 am

0122358 wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:No on Surefire 60s. Big, long, heavy and meant for an automatic rifle. Pass. Get a mag coupler, move on with life and 2 30rders.
ok how about PMAG 40s?
I don't own any 40 rd PMags but like the rest of Mhagpulz kit, they work. I do have some 40 rd mags and I find they are a smige too high when prone. 30 rders are perfect for prone monopodding.
Here's my take on them, why? Extra 10rds versus extra length. If you like them, sure. But like all the drums, extra long mags, 60 rd mags, et all they cost more, are longer and heavier. Sure, most work but usually cost 4-5 times the amount of a 30 rd GI mag or a Pmag. I always found myself thinking I'm compromising reliability, paying more for it and adding extra weight. Then I just bought 30 rd mags and more ammo.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

Nashoba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by Nashoba » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:53 am

After two weeks of searching the sides of the road and local pawn shops, I have given up on trying to find my Sig 1911 that I lost in a wreck :( I gotta get something new now. I am looking at finding a CZ75, but my area is still kinda suffering a shortage on auto-loader pistols.
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.” ~ Abraham Lincoln Jan 20. 1681

"the most dangereous man in the woods is the man who only owns one gun, he most likley knows how to use it…" ~ Elmer Keith.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Yesterday at the range I learned if you're going to run away from the target and shooting backwards, cant your pistol sights to the 7 o'clock position and have a really, really wide ninjitsu stance. Really, Redeyes was almost shot in the process. Not only that, but one good hit, 2 marginals and one miss can easily be explained with 5 minutes of banter. :v:

In the guys defense, he did finally listen to what we had to say.

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Lube

Whatever is cheap, but it should be pretty wet and reapplied regularly. Wipe clean, lube it again.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:Yesterday at the range I learned if you're going to run away from the target and shooting backwards, cant your pistol sights to the 7 o'clock position and have a really, really wide ninjitsu stance. Really, Redeyes was almost shot in the process. Not only that, but one good hit, 2 marginals and one miss can easily be explained with 5 minutes of banter. :v:

In the guys defense, he did finally listen to what we had to say.
You are being very generous on your recollection of the hits. On a USPSA target this guy made 1 shot to the pelvis, nicked the edge of the target once at the shoulder and once at the head level, and one clean miss. Lesson learned, challenging a dude to show you wtf he is talking about when he believes he knows what he is doing and is doing you a favor by showing you his awesome skillz, is best done with airsoft.

To be fair, once he knocked off the stupid ninja shit, he was decent with a pistol and reasonably safety conscious. If the guy wasn't such a motormouth he would probably be ok. Anyway, we earned gun people karma points yesterday.

Also, on larger than 30rnd Ar mags, I have spent my money on gear to be able to reload my carbine faster (tacos) and training. I consider myself to be much better off than having Surefire 60's or 100's or 40 round mags.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:07 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Ten Eight wrote:Rick, thanks for that info. It helped a lot. This will help me to know what I'm looking at should I pick one up at the gun show next week.

Mega's solid AFAIK. Locally you might also see Manta billet lowers.

All this talk has me thinking about picking up a DPMS to fart around with...
Would second the Mega matched set. Every one I've seen has been quality, and it's more universal than some. Careful with the CMMG G3 lowers, AFAIK (unless they changed something) they're not metric compatible which makes them less than desirable.

Every time I think about wanting something from the AR10 platform, I can usually find a way to talk myself into a different semi 308. Not real sure what to do with that, but thought I'd toss it out there.

NXP

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:49 am

0122358 wrote:
Also...whats the mind hive say on Surefire 60 rounders?
The Internet ate my first reply, and I see that you've gotten already gotten some good answers so I'll be short.

They can be finky with some combinations of guns and ammo, but mine work in all of my 16" (with carbine and mid gas). For gaming (I shoot IPSC) it's great, but I cannot recommend it for social work since the cartridges can do a dive if bumped. Here's some pics of mine after a droptest;

Click for a larger images.
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”