Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

eeb

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by eeb » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38 pm

northernxposure wrote:The continued lack of 22LR/9mm in my AO has me :vmad: .

Trivial, I know, as I've amassed a reasonable amount via the web and the good folks here that have constantly refocused my attention to other sources. Still a PITA when squirrel season is on us and I can't grab a brick on the way home.

I think the single most infuriating thing is that there's always 40 on the shelf of all varieties. Always. And usually more than few boxes of 45ACP. Regardless the store, regardless cost. It's enough to make a guy want another pistol.

NXP
40 would be interesting on squirrels. Be sure of your backstop. :)
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:49 pm

eeb wrote:
northernxposure wrote:The continued lack of 22LR/9mm in my AO has me :vmad: .

Trivial, I know, as I've amassed a reasonable amount via the web and the good folks here that have constantly refocused my attention to other sources. Still a PITA when squirrel season is on us and I can't grab a brick on the way home.

I think the single most infuriating thing is that there's always 40 on the shelf of all varieties. Always. And usually more than few boxes of 45ACP. Regardless the store, regardless cost. It's enough to make a guy want another pistol.

NXP
40 would be interesting on squirrels. Be sure of your backstop. :)
:lol: Boy that would make a mess...

NXP

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:53 pm

northernxposure wrote:
Ten Eight wrote:I wonder what a 34 cut down to take 26 mags would look like. Hmm.
Re-dic-a-lous. There's a pic out there of a cut down Gen2 G17 to a 26 and honestly would not want. I don't mind the look of chopping down a size, but when you go two sizes it gets a little odd...

Now a G34 to a G19 grip and you're getting somewhere.

JMO.

NXP
Photoshopped but still.

I'm liking the Bowie 19 chop:

Nice cans, Doc.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:12 pm

Was thinking this one -

Not terrible with the Pearce ledge on it, but still.

Still think the cut down G19 is hawt.

NXP

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Ten Eight wrote:I wonder what a 34 cut down to take 26 mags would look like. Hmm.
Not enough barrel. You need a 17L cut down for 26 mags. Any less and you're just a poser.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

raxar

Post by raxar » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:28 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Not enough barrel. You need a 17L cut down for 26 mags. Any less and you're just a poser.
Better yet cut the grip down even with the trigger guard and make up some custom 4 round mags.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

RTF_Squared
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland. Resident Evil Degeneration.

Post by RTF_Squared » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:45 pm

:lol: . This 26xxxxxl conversation just got hilarious. I would like to see it done, but I wouldn't own It due to my hatred of subcompacts. A 34 chopped to 19 would be money though. It'll happen once I round out the rest of my firearms needs.

Shot my first "bush league" IDPA match today, it was pretty fun and very educational. I feel like clown shoes saying this but the slower and more accurate I try to shoot the more I suck. The more "dude I'm so fucking operator I'm going to center punch these fuckers faster than anybody" I shoot the better the score. Paper confirmed this as the ten shot string on five targets surrounded by no-shoots had one shot in the -1 zone with near center zeroes on the rest. I progressively slowed down as I hadn't realized my first score was so good, and progressively began to plummet. At least there was no off paper misses or failure to neutralize penalties.

Scored a couple of procedural penalties because I couldn't tell which of two targets practically right next to each other was in proper "tactical order." If you asked for my non-expert opinion the "tactical order" business is some of the dumbest shit ever. My lack of gun fighting experience may explain why I think it's :clownshoes: to shoot a target once, shoot the one next to it twice and then shoot the first one more time. I get we're shooting at targets attempting to simulate defensive situations with people shooting back, but why would I wound one, kill the next and then come back and kill the first when I could have "killed" them both in half the time killing the first one right away.

I performed the world's slowest reload when I pulled out 4 or 5 empty mags before I had to have somebody load one for me, hand it to me, and load. After the second or third mag it got funny. The match had a five round limit in place as it was a "BUG" match, between that and not being able to have a mag in a chambered gun at all times, my perception of how much ammo I had was continuously screwed.

We had a side rifle match and the guy who invited me had an AR setup nearly exactly how I want mine. Cracks me up how I can pick up a rifle I've never fired before in a caliber I have double digit round count on and still shoot way better than the pistol I carry constantly. I took headshots only, smashed a lot of them, ran an average time with no penalties and didn't waste any of the no-shoots, which nearly half the people there did. A AR15 mag carrier would have prevented the world's third slowest back pocket reload. Caught slippin'.

Funny notes- a guy that was super-proud of his home brew light mount on his A2 hand guards totally had his light fall off after two rounds. And there was a twin of Bryan Cranston/Walter White running a revolver and an AK. Evidently wasn't the first time anybody ever asked him "you ever watch Breaking Bad?" Above all, the first course of fire started from the doggy position. I swear if I find myself in that position, have to shoot two people to get out of it and survive I'm going to have a major reassessment of my priorities in life and the places they put me.
Brought to you by Carl's Junior.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:30 am

Anybody with a 10.5" SBR mind measuring the OAL length and height of your upper (Preferably with a red dot and mid riser)? I'm shopping backpacks and would like to size up those measurements versus various compartment sizes.

Thanks!
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:52 pm

So after finger fucking some guns today a a semi local gunstore near the base Ive come to a few conlusions:

A Smith J-Frame, a Glock 26, and Sig 226 are on my short list.

BCM Midlength 16 inch is for me...but damn is the 14.5 a real comfort in the balance department.

I'm not a fan of the styer aug...just not for me.

The FN 5.7 is light as hell...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:20 pm

So, question. A friend of mine inherited an Arisaka 99 in decent condition. How much is that worth with vs. without the intact Japanese royal symbol (the flower, my iPod won't autocorrect that shit :lol: ) ?
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Chrysanthemum. Or simply mum if you happen to be someone that cares enough to join old surplus rifle forums.

And I've got no idea. Sorry. I would love to see pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

raxar

Post by raxar » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Shiloh wrote:So, question. A friend of mine inherited an Arisaka 99 in decent condition. How much is that worth with vs. without the intact Japanese royal symbol (the flower, my iPod won't autocorrect that shit :lol: ) ?
Depends on a lot of things, rare manufacturers and what generation the rifle is and if it has all the extra shit with it (dust cover, monopod, anti-aircraft sights, bayonet, cleaning rod)
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm going to go with the Don Hume shoulder holster. It just looks like it will stay put better than the Galco, and it's $40 less. Now to just convince myself that it really is okay to spend the money now...

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:40 pm

I have some Don Hume holsters, all are doing great after years of use. Buy with confidence. Did I just admit I'm not operator grade?
Ten Eight wrote:Anybody with a 10.5" SBR mind measuring the OAL length and height of your upper (Preferably with a red dot and mid riser)? I'm shopping backpacks and would like to size up those measurements versus various compartment sizes.

Thanks!

27" OAL

10" tall with 20rd mag. Mine fits just dandy in a Blackhawk Deception tennis racket bag. Enough room for 3 20rd mags too.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:34 am

Arguing DI with AK people.

I must be a glutton for punishment :rofl:
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:48 am

Dave_M wrote:Arguing DI with AK people.

I must be a glutton for punishment :rofl:
Not sarcasm: what are the advantages of DI? So many more-recent contemporaries to the AR are piston that I never bothered to learn why Stoner went with it (one less part? just to be different from the commies?). All I know about DI is that most semiauto shotguns use it, and even with that, now there are fancy new inertial semiautos that I think are a form of delayed blowback, but I hear they're ammo-sensitive, though that could just be the action-shooting crowd that likes to shoot low-power shells.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:08 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:I have some Don Hume holsters, all are doing great after years of use. Buy with confidence. Did I just admit I'm not operator grade?
Ten Eight wrote:Anybody with a 10.5" SBR mind measuring the OAL length and height of your upper (Preferably with a red dot and mid riser)? I'm shopping backpacks and would like to size up those measurements versus various compartment sizes.

Thanks!

27" OAL

10" tall with 20rd mag. Mine fits just dandy in a Blackhawk Deception tennis racket bag. Enough room for 3 20rd mags too.
Thank you sir.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks for the tips on the Arisaka. I'll see if I can't get some pictures from him soon.

One more question, unrelated: I'm writing an argumentative research paper about concealed carry for one of my classes, can anyone think of some good online sources where I could get info for that? I'm basically trying to show the relation of violent crime rates to CCW's in any given city/state. .edu or .gov domains are preferred.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:43 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:I have some Don Hume holsters, all are doing great after years of use. Buy with confidence. Did I just admit I'm not operator grade?
I use a Don Hume OWB holster when I'm not at work and I really like the quality. Their shoulder holster has two horizontal straps across the back instead of the usual spider-webby arrangement. I think that's going to be better at keeping my pistol from slipping between my ribs and the seat back when I'm at work, as well as having no central plastic doohickey to work its way upward and dig into the back of my neck.

Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by LivelyToaster » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Towanda wrote:
I use a Don Hume OWB holster when I'm not at work and I really like the quality. Their shoulder holster has two horizontal straps across the back instead of the usual spider-webby arrangement. I think that's going to be better at keeping my pistol from slipping between my ribs and the seat back when I'm at work, as well as having no central plastic doohickey to work its way upward and dig into the back of my neck.

You'll do fine with Don Hume. I loved their holsters until I started carrying with a light.

-------------------------------------------------------
Sent from a long time ago... in a galaxy far far away...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:39 pm

I'm thinking of picking up a Don Hume holster for my 1911.

I just need to see if he makes lefty holsters.

raxar

Post by raxar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Sledgecrowbar wrote:
Not sarcasm: what are the advantages of DI? So many more-recent contemporaries to the AR are piston that I never bothered to learn why Stoner went with it (one less part? just to be different from the commies?). All I know about DI is that most semiauto shotguns use it, and even with that, now there are fancy new inertial semiautos that I think are a form of delayed blowback, but I hear they're ammo-sensitive, though that could just be the action-shooting crowd that likes to shoot low-power shells.

Stoner didn't think of it, both the french and swedes had production semi's using it by WW2. In theory it will save you the weight and complexity of the piston, and since you don't have to move the piston you need less gas to work the action. Plus without the piston moving back and forth you should have less jumping around during recoil.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Didn't the Russians test out some DI guns at some point during WW2 or possibly in the years after ?

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Chris@MTCT wrote:First thing is use a cleaner to clean and a lube to lube.

A product made to do three different task does not excel at any one of them.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk.
so reccomendations?

Also...whats the mind hive say on Surefire 60 rounders?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”