Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by azrael99 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:58 pm

thanks a lot, so that mean : you CAN use a .50 beowulf mag to use 5.56 in it but in "theory" you shouldn't do it .
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:11 pm

azrael99 wrote:thanks a lot, so that mean : you CAN use a .50 beowulf mag to use 5.56 in it but in "theory" you shouldn't do it .
I don't now. If I'm reading it correctly, the RCMP doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/bull ... 72-eng.htm

4. Magazines designed for one firearm but used in a different firearm

The maximum permitted capacity of a magazine is determined by the kind of firearm it is designed or manufactured for use in and not the kind of firearm it might actually be used in. As a consequence, the maximum permitted capacity remains the same regardless of which firearm it might be used in.

Example:
The Marlin model 45 (Camp Carbine) rifle chambered for 45 Auto caliber uses magazines designed and manufactured for the Colt 1911 handgun, therefore the seven round and eight round capacities are permitted. A similar example is the 10 round capacity magazine for the Rock River Arms LAR-15 pistol, regardless of the kind of firearm it is actually used in.

5. Magazines for semiautomatic handguns which contain more than ten (10) rounds of a different calibre

Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic handgun, are limited to 10 cartridges. The capacity is measured by the kind of cartridge the magazine was designed to contain. In some cases the magazine will be capable of containing more than 10 rounds of a different caliber; however that is not relevant in the determination of the maximum permitted capacity.

Example:
Heckler and Koch P7 pistol chambered for 9mm Luger caliber:
The magazine designed for the 40 S&W calibre variant of the pistol will hold 13 cartridges of 9mm Luger calibre and function in the 9mm Luger calibre P7 pistol. This is permissible as the maximum permitted capacity of the 40 S&W calibre magazine must be measured by the number of 40 S&W calibre cartridges it is capable of holding, which is 10 such cartridges in the case of the HK P7 pistol magazine.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:50 pm

uh, yeah ergonomics was obviously the first thing Kalish was thinking of with the rifle. :lol: $20 says that was the first design and there was zero testing on how that fit anybody's hand.

And anyone with time enough to get 'mad' about what lube anyone else is using needs to spend less time at the keyboard.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:46 pm

northernxposure wrote:I think CAN restricts the 50Beo mags to 5rds, which is like 15 rounds of 5.56, so it's more a legal reindeer game thing for those in the far north.

YMMV.
So unless someone blocks a 20-round 5.56 mag to hold five .50 Beo rounds, the 10-round 5.56 mag is the only ready-to-go mag legal in Canada.
RickOShea wrote:5. Magazines for semiautomatic handguns which contain more than ten (10) rounds of a different calibre

Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic handgun, are limited to 10 cartridges. The capacity is measured by the kind of cartridge the magazine was designed to contain. In some cases the magazine will be capable of containing more than 10 rounds of a different caliber; however that is not relevant in the determination of the maximum permitted capacity.

Example:
Heckler and Koch P7 pistol chambered for 9mm Luger caliber:
The magazine designed for the 40 S&W calibre variant of the pistol will hold 13 cartridges of 9mm Luger calibre and function in the 9mm Luger calibre P7 pistol. This is permissible as the maximum permitted capacity of the 40 S&W calibre magazine must be measured by the number of 40 S&W calibre cartridges it is capable of holding, which is 10 such cartridges in the case of the HK P7 pistol magazine.
That is just weird. It's like the Canadian government is specifying how to circumvent the law, right in the wording of the law. I know they're supposed to be polite, but that's... should we all move there? Is that what we do now? I mean, will a Mounty give me a nuke if I ask nicely?
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:10 am

Sledgecrowbar wrote:
northernxposure wrote:I think CAN restricts the 50Beo mags to 5rds, which is like 15 rounds of 5.56, so it's more a legal reindeer game thing for those in the far north.

YMMV.
So unless someone blocks a 20-round 5.56 mag to hold five .50 Beo rounds, the 10-round 5.56 mag is the only ready-to-go mag legal in Canada.
They currently sell .50 Beowulf mags in Canada. 5rd 50 Beowulf mags can shoehorn in something like 14 rounds of 5.56 legally, and they're being imported already pinned.

Next they need to import 50 beowulf 10rd Pistol mags for y'all.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:26 am

So in Canada, I'm totally wrong.

In ban states, though, don't put any 5.56 in a Beo mag unless the total capacity for 5.56 is within the state limit. Or zombies attack*.

*Please be certain that it really is zombies, maybe confirm that you aren't on shrooms.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:59 am

For the sake of clarification when quoting my original statement, CAN = CANADA, not the affirmation that it's is acceptable.

NXP

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Someone recommend a good steel mainspring housing for a 1911. I'm getting kind of irritated with the plastic one Armscor put on my 1911 and want to upgrade to something that doesn't remind me of a Lego piece.

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:28 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Someone recommend a good steel mainspring housing for a 1911. I'm getting kind of irritated with the plastic one Armscor put on my 1911 and want to upgrade to something that doesn't remind me of a Lego piece.
Ed Brown and Wilson Combat make really nice ones but they cost close to 50 bucks. Springfield makes a decent one for about half the price.
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Crap. I've called several gun stores in my area and none of them have Galco Miami Classic II or Don Hume H770-AA shoulder holsters that I can try on. Anybody with a Galco ever have trouble with the plastic connector thingy in the back riding up and digging into your neck? That's one of the problems with the nylon shoulder rig I'm currently using. The Don Hume just has two horizontal straps across the back. I'm on my phone, so I don't know if these links will post properly.

Galco:

Don Hume:

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Rogue45 wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Someone recommend a good steel mainspring housing for a 1911. I'm getting kind of irritated with the plastic one Armscor put on my 1911 and want to upgrade to something that doesn't remind me of a Lego piece.
Ed Brown and Wilson Combat make really nice ones but they cost close to 50 bucks. Springfield makes a decent one for about half the price.
I'll check out the Springfield ones.

If I can't find one, I'll go with Wilson Combat.

hoofibou

Post by hoofibou » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Anybody concealed carry a Beretta 84 or a Beretta 92 compact? Has anybody carried either one of these guns or both of these guns for concealed carry? If you carried or owned both, do you feel they were similar when it came to carrying the gun concealed or a different thing all together?

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:03 pm

I've just carried the full size. Sorry I can't help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Sledgecrowbar

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:52 pm

I was asked for my opinion on the G26 versus the G29, subcompacts chambered in 9mm and 10mm. Physical size and weight is effectively the same, both hold ten rounds in the standard mag and Glock makes 15-round mags (NJ max capacity) that fit both as well, so no difference there.

It's really just the a ~50% increase in energy from 9mm to 10mm, versus a theoretically similar increase in recoil. If the recoil of a 10mm doesn't bother the user or hinder accuracy of followup shots, is there a reason to recommend the G26, other than ammo cost being far better for 9mm? Ammo availability isn't an issue. Overpenetration, maybe? Doesn't seem like a good argument. I think lower recoil is probably the best argument for the 9mm, as more shots on target is the real winning ticket.

Has anyone shot both? What size human are you and what did you think?
Brotherbadger wrote:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Sledgecrowbar wrote:I was asked for my opinion on the G26 versus the G29, subcompacts chambered in 9mm and 10mm. Physical size and weight is effectively the same, both hold ten rounds in the standard mag and Glock makes 15-round mags (NJ max capacity) that fit both as well, so no difference there.

It's really just the a ~50% increase in energy from 9mm to 10mm, versus a theoretically similar increase in recoil. If the recoil of a 10mm doesn't bother the user or hinder accuracy of followup shots, is there a reason to recommend the G26, other than ammo cost being far better for 9mm? Ammo availability isn't an issue. Overpenetration, maybe? Doesn't seem like a good argument. I think lower recoil is probably the best argument for the 9mm, as more shots on target is the real winning ticket.

Has anyone shot both? What size human are you and what did you think?
The G30/G29 is more like a compact.

Bottom is a G26, G29 above it. I found the G29 extraordinarily unpleasant, recoil wise, and the G30 similar but less so. 6'1" and hovering over 200lb. 26 was small, but retired it in favor of a compact.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Sledgecrowbar

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:09 pm

I didn't compare dimensions between the G29 and G19. I always thought the G29 was a compact, but before my earlier post I found it's considered a subcompact.

So I made a chart. I suck at html now so here's the fastest fixed-width font I can manage.

Code: Select all

G26        G29                G19
Length              6.41"      6.77" (+0.36)     7.28" (+0.51 over G29)
Width               1.18"      1.28" (+0.10)     1.18"
Height              4.17"      4.45" (+0.28)     4.99" (+0.54 over G29)
Barrel Length       3.42"      3.78"             4.01"
Loaded Weight       26.12 oz   32.63 oz          30.18 oz
Figures are for Gen 4 models

So the G29 is technically closer to the G26 in size, but if you put the three of them in a row, it's not a very crooked line from smallest to largest, the G29 could be said to split the difference.

By my estimation, in order to make the G29's mass absorb recoil on par with a G26, you'd have to add at least 7 oz, even with it loaded, putting it strikingly similar to my S&W 6" .357 Magnum, which has energy similar to 10mm.

If it were me, I wouldn't have a problem with the gun being heavier, I don't think the weight is going to hurt draw speed in a significant way when you consider how keyed up you will be in a situation that requires a fast draw. I do care that the user would be able to do better than the broad side of a barn in that situation, so if the gun is as manageable as a Cerbera Speed 12, that's the end of the discussion.

I really want to shoot a G29 now to see this recoil.
Brotherbadger wrote:

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:55 pm

The 29 recoil is only a bit stiff if you're using full power ammo and no pinky rest. It's more of a push than a flip. I carry my 29 every day, and shoot it every week. It is definitely "bigger" than the 26. Thicker is a better word than bigger. It's not too heavy to carry, even with a light. Big advantage with the 29 is the multiple calibers you can shoot- 10mm, .357 Sig, .40, 9x25 Dillon with 10mm mags, and 9mm with 9mm mags. I'm not sure about using .45 Glock top ends switching directly over on the compact models, but if you got a .45 slide that worked, then you have .45, .460 Rowland, 400 Corbon, etc.\

Also, whenever you get to shoot one, try to shoot it with full power ammo to get an accurate estimation of the recoil. The softer, .40 level loads feel different than the man size loads :awesome: . Most of the 10mm plinking ammo is really downloaded (PMC, Blazer Aluminum, American Eagle, PPU). Shoot some Doubletap, Buffalo Bore, Underwood, etc. to get the bazooka launch feeling :clap: .

"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Sledgecrowbar

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:38 am

I will definitely do a large-frame Glock with an assortment of barrels, that's set in stone, but to me a compact is more of a commuter than a weekend toy. In this case, I *think* the use would be a nightstand kind of gun, but not the kind that gets loaded and shoved in the drawer without ever learning to use it (I'll see to that).

I've never held a subcompact so I'd have to try the mag extension, plus capacity or not, to know how big of an annoyance it is to have your fifth finger be a fifth wheel. Personally, I'd think a person who carries would keep a short mag loaded for easier concealment, but any spares would be 15- or 17-round with the sleeve that makes it a whole grip extension all the way around. Then you have to learn to aim both ways, but more ammo is more ammo.
Ten Eight wrote:The 29 recoil is only a bit stiff if you're using full power ammo
Reduced -power 10mm is .40S&W. I'm kidding, I'm sure there's ammo you're talking about that's between full-power 10mm and full-power .40, but I'm not sure it's not splitting hairs and I may as well just recommend a G27.

I didn't realize that was a G29, but it looks great. Even with the...

Brotherbadger wrote:

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:31 am

So ilve always sued Rem-oil and CLP to clean/lube my AR...

As i'm starting to build my duty rifle...(itll be finished working by the end of the year) I was looking at different cleaners.

What do you all use to clean/lube? Ive heard good things about slip2000 and froglube?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:00 am

First thing is use a cleaner to clean and a lube to lube.

A product made to do three different task does not excel at any one of them.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 am

0122358 wrote:What do you all use to clean/lube? Ive heard good things about slip2000 and froglube?
Clean - Gunscrubber
Lube - Oil is CLP, Grease is whatever tube of grease that's left over from the CT PM, in this case Shell Aero7.

NXP

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:54 am

Cope's has 10.5" SCAR 5.56 barrels.

$999

BWWHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAA>>>>><,.......

I paid that much for my entire 10.5" SBR AR-15 WITH the tax stamp.

'till secky dough.... :clownshoes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lZt4q5 ... ot_V8bFLPQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HAIRCUT. :vmad:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

raxar

Post by raxar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:Cope's has 10.5" SCAR 5.56 barrels.

$999

BWWHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAA>>>>><,.......

I paid that much for my entire 10.5" SBR AR-15 WITH the tax stamp.

'till secky dough.... :clownshoes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lZt4q5 ... ot_V8bFLPQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HAIRCUT. :vmad:
yeah, copes has taken a giant turn for the worse since the panic.

I FUCKING HATE how they "updated" their website, so that it is more difficult to use, takes longer to load, and unlike the old design, still lists all of the "out of stock" stuff.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Sledgecrowbar

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Plenty of internet retailers are surprisingly stupid when it comes to the interface. I understand that sometimes live inventory, which is probably the #1 thing people want in this industry, can be a lot of work to accomplish. Why some places still won't let me sort their shit via drop-box with the usual choices and view it all on one page is beyond me.
Brotherbadger wrote:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”