Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by PistolPete » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:09 am

While shooting the last few weekends I noticed something interesting. With deer season coming I tend to shoot bolt guns more. Specifically I've been shooting a Weatherby Vanguard 243. It's no frills, basic rifle with a synthetic stock. It shoots well enough and you can find ammo for $12 a box so it works great for practice. But the last two times I've shot with it I've noticed something.

At 100 yards, if I'm shooting prone and have the gun slung up Applessed style (with the sling pulling tightly down at front) it's shooting a couple inches lower than if it's shot off a rest. Anyone run into this before or have an idea about the cause? My best guess is the cheap plastic stock is flexing and touching the barrel when it's tight in the sling.

For those not familiar with this way to use a sling, you can see examples here
http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/2008 ... g-use.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or here
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_19/229087_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:15 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:12 oz tube of Lithium grease + CLP = all you need.

Total price for years of product: $10.
You'd be amazed the violent reaction I've received from the "high speed" crowd for suggesting the same.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:20 am

PistolPete wrote:While shooting the last few weekends I noticed something interesting. With deer season coming I tend to shoot bolt guns more. Specifically I've been shooting a Weatherby Vanguard 243. It's no frills, basic rifle with a synthetic stock. It shoots well enough and you can find ammo for $12 a box so it works great for practice. But the last two times I've shot with it I've noticed something.

At 100 yards, if I'm shooting prone and have the gun slung up Applessed style (with the sling pulling tightly down at front) it's shooting a couple inches lower than if it's shot off a rest. Anyone run into this before or have an idea about the cause? My best guess is the cheap plastic stock is flexing and touching the barrel when it's tight in the sling.

For those not familiar with this way to use a sling, you can see examples here
http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/2008 ... g-use.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or here
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_19/229087_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I concur. A test: try it from a hasty sling as well http://artoftherifleblog.com/using-the- ... sling.html

I had a vanguard as well for awhile (300 Savage was fun) and the barrel is not freefloating, so torquing the sling down is likely pulling the stock down a hair where it supports, causing the barrel to move a hair. UndeadInfidel can probably verify, but if I remember boot correctly, when using the sling that way you're supposed to mark how the sling was tightened to try to ensure that the flex is the same each time you sling up when shooting that way.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:30 am

I have been using CLP because it comes in a convenient spray can. I think I will fill a small bottle with 5w20 and use that when the CLP runs out.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:40 am

UndeadInfidel wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:12 oz tube of Lithium grease + CLP = all you need.

Total price for years of product: $10.
You'd be amazed the violent reaction I've received from the "high speed" crowd for suggesting the same.
No, I wouldn't. I'm not sure what is wrong with lithium grease, it's used in multi-millions of dollars bearings. I've had the same agro reaction. Okay, you spend your money on the latest expensive lube, I'll go buy more ammo.

Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:05 pm

You guys and your fancy CLP, I clean with Ed's Red.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:07 pm

We're giving this away on Dec. 1st. We've done 2 giveaways in the past 2 months. A Ruger LCR and a Ruger American .270 in Navy Digital.

I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Introducing a totally innovative brand-new AR/M16 grip:

The Game Changer!
:rofl:
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Anybody try the Brass Max stuff Tula is now putting out ?

I found a couple cans (looked like mixed nuts at first glance) of it at the local Wal-Mart in 9mm and .40 S&W flavors last night. I'm curious as to why some of it comes in cans, though.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Might have to try that AK grip...

I've shot the Brass Maxxx. Mine came in regular boxes, but it functioned as well as anything else.
Last edited by Assault Life on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Dave_M wrote:Introducing a totally innovative brand-new AR/M16 grip:

The Game Changer!

Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

raxar

Post by raxar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Braxton wrote:
Dave_M wrote:Introducing a totally innovative brand-new AR/M16 grip:

The Game Changer!

This

I can't begin to tell you the number of times I've wished my ar's grip was tiny and fragile.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Fragile? That's genuine Eastern-Block bakelite you're talking about!

:awesome:
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Out of curiosity and the fact I'll be buying an AK next year, why is the original AK grip shaped the way it is ?

Did Kalashnikov run out of material when he was making it ?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:37 pm

They fit the mits of the malnourished stunted growth proletariat.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 pm

I heard it was a left over stump from what was left of the stock/forearm. Soviet effeciency makes good use out of that beat up 60mmx125mm chunk of birch...

NXP

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:They fit the mits of the malnourished stunted growth proletariat.
Muahahaha, my thoughts exactly!
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:59 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Out of curiosity and the fact I'll be buying an AK next year, why is the original AK grip shaped the way it is ?

I can't imagine why.

I'd wager it was kept that way to keep it friendly for users with small hands wearing winter gloves.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Out of curiosity and the fact I'll be buying an AK next year, why is the original AK grip shaped the way it is ?

I can't imagine why.

I'd wager it was kept that way to keep it friendly for users with small hands wearing winter gloves.
That's probably it, Doc.

Russian winters do tend to be pretty brutal.

raxar

Post by raxar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:47 pm

military grips aren't all that small, some like the romainian bakelite are, and some of the synthetic grips are smaller, but the wood grips are all a good bit bigger, the hungarian blond wood grips are about perfect.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:20 pm

raxar wrote:

military grips aren't all that small, some like the romainian bakelite are, and some of the synthetic grips are smaller, but the wood grips are all a good bit bigger, the hungarian blond wood grips are about perfect.
The AMD-65 I held a couple years back had some nice factory grips on it. They were a bit weird thanks to the little lip on the bottom of each grip, but aside from that they were nice.

I probably should've grabbed it when I had the chance.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:26 pm

someone talked about using a .50 beowulf mag to put 5.56 in it

teach me about that please,
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 pm

azrael99 wrote:someone talked about using a .50 beowulf mag to put 5.56 in it

teach me about that please,
I believe they're technically the same as a standard 5.56 mag, but it's stamped .50 Beo so it's legally a 10-round mag that would be acceptable to own in a ban state. Some extra special folks surely believe that this would get them off the hook for owning a full-cap mag in a ban state, but this is not the case. If you load even one round of 5.56 in it, and you're in a ban state, it's still clear intent to commit a felony, and just owning such a mag without also owning a .50 Beo upper is going to be obviously illegitimate.

When you consider that a 20-round 5.56 mag will hold 6 rounds of .50 Beo, while a 10-round 5.56 mag that would be legal in the majority of ban states and municipalities will hold 3 rounds, the capacity of the 10-round .50 Beo mag is not a worthwhile premium. Anyone who would be in the market for a .50 Beo upper owns an AR already and has whichever mags they're allowed to.

ETA: I know Canada has a different set of laws entirely, I didn't notice your locale at first but I'm sure the mag being stamped .50 Beo, making it a 10-round mag, is significant. It still wouldn't be legal to load 5.56 in it if there was a mag capacity limit.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:51 pm

I think CAN restricts the 50Beo mags to 5rds, which is like 15 rounds of 5.56, so it's more a legal reindeer game thing for those in the far north.

YMMV.

NXP

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”