Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat: Stipple that, home edition

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:46 am

Assault Life wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Sledgecrowbar wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Totally a pistol. With a 12" barrel it would be VFG legal. Actually manageable with the 7" upper in it for one-handed use.
That's confusing. You can have a VFG on a pistol as long as the barrel is 12"? Does a pistol have to have a barrel under 16" long?
A firearm* not designed to be fired from the shoulder* with an overall length of at least 26" can have a vertical forward grip without being an AoW, and the barrel length doesn't matter. This particular firearm was originally built as a pistol with a 16" barrel, has been rebarreled to 10.5" due to the shoddy workmanship of DPMS barrels and is just a hair too short to qualify for a VFG, although I guess I could put a longer FF handguard on there if I wanted to.

Or weld on a bayonet...
How much length would you have to add? I assume it has to be a permanent mod, like pinning a muzzle device on a 14.5" barrel?
It is my understanding that OAL is for items that cannot be removed without tools. An A2 stock adds to OAL, but a CAR stock doesn't. A FF tube counts toward OAL, or an AK's folding stock (folded out) but a thread on MD (even secured with a crush washer or with a sealant requiring a wrench to remove) doesn't (AFAIK) so it's sorta goofy. I might have to send a letter asking if using Rocksett or a properly seated crsh washer counts, or a folding bayonet.

Off to look for a surplus Mosin bayonet and ask about borrowing some welding gear. Project Gunblade needs to happen.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:35 am

PSA has two more deals today:

Upper:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... e-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lower:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... s-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, it's blemished but stop whining :)

Total price: $518.98 + shipping and tax.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Image

Totally a pistol. With a 12" barrel it would be VFG legal. Actually manageable with the 7" upper in it for one-handed use.

How. I mean, how in FSM's green, plush velvet organic carpet is that thing not a "shoulder support".

I mean really. What drunk goon could look at that and go "yupyupyup it's clearly a forearm support for assisted akimbo blasting yupyupyup".

Would not touch with *insert clever anatomy joke here*.

NXP

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:52 am

northernxposure wrote:

NXP

Yeah not much of a fore arm rest guy myself.... But if I was gonna have one I would want my own personal approval letter from the BATFE.... Im rather attached to my dogs.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:14 am

northernxposure wrote:

Totally a pistol. With a 12" barrel it would be VFG legal. Actually manageable with the 7" upper in it for one-handed use.

How. I mean, how in FSM's green, plush velvet organic carpet is that thing not a "shoulder support".

I mean really. What drunk goon could look at that and go "yupyupyup it's clearly a forearm support for assisted akimbo blasting yupyupyup".

NXP
I don't make the rules, I just exploit them. The ones for the Yugo are held on by the pistol grip. If I wasn't gonna SBR the M85, I'd probably grab one of those too.

MI forend ordered. Heading over to the AK thread for the rest of the AK build talk.

Last question before I do: chrome AK or gold AK?

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:34 am

:lol: Dude you just have to live up to the stereotype dont you ? :lol:
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:02 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
northernxposure wrote:

NXP
I don't make the rules, I just exploit them. The ones for the Yugo are held on by the pistol grip. If I wasn't gonna SBR the M85, I'd probably grab one of those too.

MI forend ordered. Heading over to the AK thread for the rest of the AK build talk.

Okay, I gotta ask. What kind of finish is on the upper and lower receivers? It almost looks like it is bead blasted aluminum, but with coating technologies nowadays it could be duracoat or cerakote...whatever???

I almost forgot, yeah, Doc, that was me that was asking about the oil platform mission's name. Thanks!

I posted that video of the dude with the Beretta that appeared to be doubling or tripling on the Berettaforum.net . The video guy had put down in the comments section that he was basically bump firing it. I was on my iPhone which didn't display the comments. It beats the heck out of me how he does it. I figured the trigger travel would be so much between between reset and BANG! that it would be impossible with a normal two handed stance.

Guns are icky!

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:03 am

Obvious answer would be chrome with gold accents.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:16 am

chills1994 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
northernxposure wrote:

NXP

Okay, I gotta ask. What kind of finish is on the upper and lower receivers? It almost looks like it is bead blasted aluminum, but with coating technologies nowadays it could be duracoat or cerakote...whatever???
Cerakote. The color is "titanium" and before someone asks, yes the holes were misdrilled so I had to use the KNS pins.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Just left Gander Mountain. Plenty of ammo. Federal 556 for the low price of $12 per box of 20. 350ct 9mm flu for $119.

I wouldn't go there save somebody got me a gift card. Ended up with down new pants instead.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Caracal is recalling all of its Model C pistols.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/09/11/c ... -c-recall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent via mimeograph.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

RTF_Squared
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland. Resident Evil Degeneration.

Post by RTF_Squared » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Pretty stoked about that recall. No idea what happens next as far as getting this session's legislation repealed, but without the cooperation of Morse and Giron they wouldn't have passed in the first place. Don't want to say any more due to ZS rules, but I'm freaking stoked.
Brought to you by Carl's Junior.

raxar

Post by raxar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Whiskey wrote:Speaking of 92... I'm wicked sad I don't have ammo for all of these mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I feel your pain, ATM I have more ar mag capacity then ammo to fill it.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Got a fun shipment in today.

I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:06 pm

I really need to buy one of those Tavors.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:07 pm

I always looked at those ps90s as clown shoes... Till my wife (Whos is tiny and has issues using rifles) absolutely Cleaned the plates at the range when a fellow gave us a go at his.
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Sledgecrowbar wrote:What does this set rolling in terms of the new ban? Or too early yet? A repeal might come up in the senate now that the voters have conveyed their stance?

We're getting political and will be spanked.

But, as in most elections: it don't mean shit. Other than to say that the elected officials kind of forgot they were representing people and not a particular line that a party wanted to press. And the people were like, um hold on a hot second there buckos.

Getting any pro gun type legislation past this governor is a non starter from where I sit. I think it did make a powerful statement (as far as that goes in getting shit done :roll: ) to legislators in a state where two of the most heinous massacres (columbine and aurora) have occurred that the people don't feel like blaming the tool used. Well-intentioned people who think they know what's best for everyone very often should shut the fuck up. The term is pyrrhic victory.

It seems pretty ridiculous to me to blame some very obvious mental deficiencies (freaking megalomaniac in aurora, sandy hook kid with well publicized illness)on what the idjets used to stomp their feet and cry for attention. For fucks sakes, their professional counselors documented their problems and warning signs of violence. What. the. Fuck. eh?

We all recoil from the ability that these fuckers have to end innocent lives, terrorize, and then sit in court with a smile or just off themselves by cop or otherwise (which they could have just done quietly at home without being a bitch about it and ruining society). I truly don't get why the mental aspect of this is taking a back seat.

And since I'm laying it all out there, may as go for the time out:

What bothers me is that I am for some social programs and I am for civil rights for everybody. Unfortunately the party pushing gun rights doesn't believe in either of those things (because they think their old ass voters don't) and is an embarrassment to me with their fuck tard opinions on gay rights for example. I fear moderate (like, you know, most people) middle of the road types like me who are pretty pissed on the gun thing are going to tolerate some hate just to get our constitutional rights protected. And I don't thing the 'liberal' (hate labeling) people realize that they are also potentially losing things that are way more important to them that have been accomplished lately.

Bottom line to me is that I'm saddened by every 'representative' I've seen in pretty much every aspect of their jobs. I don't feel represented. I vote for the one who appears least maniacal. I don't like the fact we have career politicians. Things that seem common sense to me appear to be foreign to the public at large and to the turkeys governing us. I can't tell if I'm watching the Kardashians or the nightly news. We let representatives show their dicks to a bunch of ladies they work with, fuck half of them, go to court over that, and then we still let them use a microphone, AND HAVE A JOB? And people listen to them. Children see this shit. Children are learning that this is normal.

So to sum up, Mods & everyone who read this and comes here specifically not to read this sort of thing, I apologize. I know the rules. I know there are plenty of other places on the internet to discuss these things including PMs. It's the anniversary of a notorious day and I spent it watching a bunch of people be horrible to each other. Every now and then the sickness of our species bothers me to the point of incredulity. But, the sun will come up tomorrow and I have a nice safe place at home with a nice girl to help me remember good things.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:48 pm

He mad.

TLO, my buddy opened up his MMA gym. You can come pound on me for a bit or I can hold some mits, I sense pent up rage. :vmad: :lol:

ETA a funny story: I don't 'roll' the way my peer group rolls. I'm 41 with kids. Other adults bring their kids to Martial Arts and "unwind", just sitting around. Cool, not an issue. But there is a big workout area and I'm thinking, why aren't these folks working out? So I ask my coach, why aren't they lifting or using the cardio kit? He says "We pound on each other and lift heavy things to unwind. "Normal" folks sit around and talk." Gives me a look like, you ain't normal. :lol:
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:He mad.

TLO, my buddy opened up his MMA gym. You can come pound on me for a bit or I can hold some mits, I sense pent up rage. :vmad: :lol:

I haven't punched anyone in so long. Or been punched back :vmad:
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:53 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:He mad.

I haven't punched anyone in so long. Or been punched back :vmad:
BRING IT! :vmad: :lol:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Ten Eight wrote:I really need to buy one of those Tavors.

I think I'd like em better if they had a traditional trigger guard instead of that big ass cutlass-sword handguard thing going on.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 pm

TLO, I didn't think you got too political there, commentary on current events is akin to commenting on the weather. Facts are facts.

A lot of people on both sides of the issues I talk to also feel that the problem is centered around mental health. So, too, should the solution be focused on that, but the implementation is a difficult thing to accomplish.

How do we give every gun owner in America a perennial psych evaluation? I like to think I'd happily cover the cost of it if it became the end-all, be-all, perfect, effective solution to gun control that both political parties could be amicable with, though it would be nice if my health insurance paid for it, but could you imagine how long the line would be? We're not just talking about everyone with a SS# that starts with 001-020 taking a Rorschach test this week, followed by 021-040 next week, etc., we're talking about doing this like every year, for tens of millions of people.

I still think it's the right solution, even if I have to put up with the perceived humiliation of having my sanity tested. If it saves the lives of a single classroom of toddlers or moviegoers or high school students once in my lifetime, I'd put up with it. I wish more pro-gun control politicians were avid recreational shooters who still believed that we need to protect our society from gun violence, without holding the blanket belief that guns are only bad things.

Or I could be totally wrong, I'm not a psychologist or a professional expert on the gun control conversation. It just seems to make sense to me.

If I'm out of line, I'll edit this. I tried not to be.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Sledgecrowbar wrote:TLO, I didn't think you got too political there, commentary on current events is akin to commenting on the weather. Facts are facts.

A lot of people on both sides of the issues I talk to also feel that the problem is centered around mental health. So, too, should the solution be focused on that, but the implementation is a difficult thing to accomplish.

How do we give every gun owner in America a perennial psych evaluation? I like to think I'd happily cover the cost of it if it became the end-all, be-all, perfect, effective solution to gun control that both political parties could be amicable with, though it would be nice if my health insurance paid for it, but could you imagine how long the line would be? We're not just talking about everyone with a SS# that starts with 001-020 taking a Rorschach test this week, followed by 021-040 next week, etc., we're talking about doing this like every year, for tens of millions of people.

I still think it's the right solution, even if I have to put up with the perceived humiliation of having my sanity tested. If it saves the lives of a single classroom of toddlers or moviegoers or high school students once in my lifetime, I'd put up with it. I wish more pro-gun control politicians were avid recreational shooters who still believed that we need to protect our society from gun violence, without holding the blanket belief that guns are only bad things.

Or I could be totally wrong, I'm not a psychologist or a professional expert on the gun control conversation. It just seems to make sense to me.

If I'm out of line, I'll edit this. I tried not to be.
I, for one, would refuse.

1. Psychology is not, despite what many will tell you, an exact science. It's more like quantum physics, in that it's limited by what you can observe indirectly.
2. Biased doctors. Hoplophobes, homophobes, or any other combination of 'phobe or 'ist in the books could decide that they're gonna make sure none of them _____ get their hands on guns.
3. Ain't nobody got time for that shit. Still ain't gonna stop criminals, off-paper owners, or the others. I'd bet Mrs. Lanza wouldn't have been disqualified, nor would Chris Dorner.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”